Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wing Backs / Squad weakness 21:19 - Apr 5 with 3146 viewsGloucs_R

532 / 352 seems to work for us but the weak link still seems to the wing backs. Appreciate Wallace has improved but at his age and injury record, I wouldn't renew his contract.

Kane looks like he could be pushed out this summer, only a year to go.

Kakay and Niko look ok as short term back ups.

Let's say we've got budget for 5 players in the summer....Jordy and Field are givens. Where would you strengthen? Remember we have Masterson, Amos and LTC all to return.

[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 7:08]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 21:36 - Apr 5 with 2677 viewsdmm

You're right, and I think many have said the same. If we are to continue with three at the back, both wing back positions must be strengthened if we want to progress further next season.

We'll also need to find a replacement for Austin as I can't see us affording him.

With de Wijs and Field that would make 5. However, I wonder if we should bring in another centre back or just rely on Kakay if we needed extra cover.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2021 21:37]
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 21:53 - Apr 5 with 2625 viewsthompsonridd

Remember we have Masterson, Amos and LTC all to return.

They maybe returning but it doesn't mean we have to keep them!!!
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 23:35 - Apr 5 with 2497 viewsMyke

I agree, five at the back has turned our season around. I would disagree with you about given Wallace another season. he is 34 not 54 and has proven when fit he is very good at getting forward. He is also clearly 'the right sort' we have played far older players than him over the years and he has earned the right to a one year extension, albeit on a reduced wage.
But you are correct,it is a short term solution to a long term problem and I cannot see Niko, being good enough. Without putting Brian's blood pressure through the roof, we need a Manning type player to be unearthed during the summer.
The right side is a strange one. I honestly considered Kane's remarks a storm in a tea cup and thought he was making a decent shift as a right wing back, he was as fit as a fiddle and clearly stronger going forward than defending. But clearly he is being punished for his 'honesty' and it's hard to see him being here next season. I like Kakay more than Niko, but still not overly convinced about his long term prospects. A very good squad player for sure, but a regular wing back??, Not so sure. So again, I agree, this position needs to be addressed during the summer.
We should have a decent midfield if both Carroll and Amos return to fitness to supplement Field and Ball. Bearing in mind Warburton's decision to play Amos at No 10 before his injury and pushing Chair wide (albeit in a back four), I don't think we need to strengthen the centre of the park further. although losing Jo Jo is a blow, realistically we were never going to keep him, he was a fire-stopper at Christmas and did the job splendidly, but whether Fulham get relegated (likely) or not, he will be paying for a wealthier Championship club than us next season.
Likewise with Chaz another very successful fireman, who will play for West Brom or some upwardly mobile championship club next year. IF (and I know it's a big if) Dykes is getting the hang of this scoring lark in the championship and if Chair continues to develop, we may actually not need another striker next season (at least until Christmas!) And it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Hugill will be available for loan next season too.
So to give a very long winded answer to your question, my fifth signing would be a CB (and that is with everything crossed we can hold onto Dickie and Seny for another season) . Masterson due to this season being a write off, needs to go out on loan next season, Jorji is injury prone, Cameron I assume will be gone, so for me CB is a priority.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 23:38 - Apr 5 with 2488 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 23:35 - Apr 5 by Myke

I agree, five at the back has turned our season around. I would disagree with you about given Wallace another season. he is 34 not 54 and has proven when fit he is very good at getting forward. He is also clearly 'the right sort' we have played far older players than him over the years and he has earned the right to a one year extension, albeit on a reduced wage.
But you are correct,it is a short term solution to a long term problem and I cannot see Niko, being good enough. Without putting Brian's blood pressure through the roof, we need a Manning type player to be unearthed during the summer.
The right side is a strange one. I honestly considered Kane's remarks a storm in a tea cup and thought he was making a decent shift as a right wing back, he was as fit as a fiddle and clearly stronger going forward than defending. But clearly he is being punished for his 'honesty' and it's hard to see him being here next season. I like Kakay more than Niko, but still not overly convinced about his long term prospects. A very good squad player for sure, but a regular wing back??, Not so sure. So again, I agree, this position needs to be addressed during the summer.
We should have a decent midfield if both Carroll and Amos return to fitness to supplement Field and Ball. Bearing in mind Warburton's decision to play Amos at No 10 before his injury and pushing Chair wide (albeit in a back four), I don't think we need to strengthen the centre of the park further. although losing Jo Jo is a blow, realistically we were never going to keep him, he was a fire-stopper at Christmas and did the job splendidly, but whether Fulham get relegated (likely) or not, he will be paying for a wealthier Championship club than us next season.
Likewise with Chaz another very successful fireman, who will play for West Brom or some upwardly mobile championship club next year. IF (and I know it's a big if) Dykes is getting the hang of this scoring lark in the championship and if Chair continues to develop, we may actually not need another striker next season (at least until Christmas!) And it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Hugill will be available for loan next season too.
So to give a very long winded answer to your question, my fifth signing would be a CB (and that is with everything crossed we can hold onto Dickie and Seny for another season) . Masterson due to this season being a write off, needs to go out on loan next season, Jorji is injury prone, Cameron I assume will be gone, so for me CB is a priority.

Excellent stuff, Myke.
Agree with all of that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 07:18 - Apr 6 with 2309 viewsGloucs_R

Send Niko out on loan. Give Wallace another year but bring in his replacement now.... Id be fine with that.

Maybe a CB on loan would be a possibility. Agree that Masterson could do with a full season playing.

Field hopefully will at that steel and grit in midfield next season.. We built a team around 4231 so need to consider this when rrecruiting players.... Can they be flexible, do we need wingers.

Up front.... That's a dilemma. Unless Austin takes a massive pay drop, can't see him coming permanently.
Dykes clearly needs experience up front with him. Kelman should go on loan for a year. Bonne.... I'm not sure.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 08:35 - Apr 6 with 2215 viewsswisscottage

I thought Kakay's crossing was a significant improvement in the last two games on where it has been, and I think he has considerable scope for improvement, and I would like us to continue to develop him.

However with Kane looking on the outs, we certainly do need another right wing back although I do believe we have more=players that can cover that position if needed.

As for the left hand side I think we're a bit more exposed, I was impressed with Niko when he first got in the side, but his form dropped off and he has looked no better than average since when I've seen him. I think we need to extend Wallace, and if Niko doesn't improve then we need to bring in another left back.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:17 - Apr 6 with 2139 viewsplasmahoop

If kane is on the way out we need to replace him. I think kakay looks better going forward than defensively. On the left id give wallace another contract, and niko has a long contract anyway. He has potential to improve too, i think its a bit early to write him off yet
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:30 - Apr 6 with 2100 viewsfrancisbowles

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 21:53 - Apr 5 by thompsonridd

Remember we have Masterson, Amos and LTC all to return.

They maybe returning but it doesn't mean we have to keep them!!!

Well as Masterson and Amos have contracts, we do have to keep them.
Login to get fewer ads

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:32 - Apr 6 with 2097 viewsridethewave

Harsh on Kakay I think he looks good and has loads of potential.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:44 - Apr 6 with 2067 viewsthompsonridd

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:30 - Apr 6 by francisbowles

Well as Masterson and Amos have contracts, we do have to keep them.

So you can't sell or loan a player mid contract!!
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:47 - Apr 6 with 2059 viewsWestbourneR

I'd stop buying lots of squad players and throw the kitchen sink at Johansen. Apart from yesterday, he's been the difference.

Anc couple of young rough diamond full backs.

Luke Garbutt at Blackpool looked class to me.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:48 - Apr 6 with 2051 viewsdaveB

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 09:32 - Apr 6 by ridethewave

Harsh on Kakay I think he looks good and has loads of potential.

I thought he was poor yesterday, if Kane had played like that he'd be slaughtered
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 10:55 - Apr 6 with 1971 viewsWestbourneR

No one has properly mentioned it but isn't that two goals for Dykes in his last two appearances? And from open play. If so that is big big news because we need him to lead the line next year and score the goals - I doubt we'll be able to keep Charlie.

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:02 - Apr 6 with 1952 viewsgobbles

I'd renew Wallace's contract.
I'd also think about starting Adomah
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:05 - Apr 6 with 1946 viewsNorthernr

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:02 - Apr 6 by gobbles

I'd renew Wallace's contract.
I'd also think about starting Adomah

The Adomah thing is very strange isn't it? All this constant chat about how crowded the fixture list is and you've got an experienced pro there, not exactly dead in the ground at 33, looks good and provides excellent service whenever he's on the pitch, but gets 5-10mins a week max. I mean all the usual caveats about Warbs sees them in training and we don't, but it is an odd one for me.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:14 - Apr 6 with 1927 viewsWestbourneR

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:05 - Apr 6 by Northernr

The Adomah thing is very strange isn't it? All this constant chat about how crowded the fixture list is and you've got an experienced pro there, not exactly dead in the ground at 33, looks good and provides excellent service whenever he's on the pitch, but gets 5-10mins a week max. I mean all the usual caveats about Warbs sees them in training and we don't, but it is an odd one for me.

Totally agree.

Actually feel a bit sorry for Albert, he's done all that is asked of him and more whenever he comes on.

Bit like Willock a few months back, it's odd that he can't get a start.

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:43 - Apr 6 with 1883 viewsdaveB

only place for him in the team is right wing back and Kane had been doing pretty well there so hard to see where he plays. If we are not playing Kane then I'd probably give him a go at right wing back for a few games as his crossing is superb
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 12:59 - Apr 6 with 1797 viewsdmm

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 11:43 - Apr 6 by daveB

only place for him in the team is right wing back and Kane had been doing pretty well there so hard to see where he plays. If we are not playing Kane then I'd probably give him a go at right wing back for a few games as his crossing is superb

I'd have thought Adomah would fit in well in the Chair/Willock role.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 13:56 - Apr 6 with 1747 viewsMyke

It's unusual all right. I think he was underwhelming early on when Warburton gave him more game time (probably due to a lack of match or even general fitness) and since then he has only had cameo roles, which he has done very well in. I would love to see him and Charlie (and Dykes -super header yesterday) all on the pitch at the same time. Is he only signed for this season? If so, can't see it being renewed - we probably signed him about 5 years too late.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 14:27 - Apr 6 with 1718 viewsNorthantsHoop

I think Kane in right wing back away from home is a slightly better option than Kakay. He seems to do better on larger and wider away pitches than on the smaller tight pitch at LR. Think Kakay better option at home, he is a better defender and can operate better under pressure on the right than Kane on our tight pitch. Adomah should get more game time in the right wing back role, but think he will remain an impact sub and offers a bit more attacking versatility than Kane and Kakay.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 14:29]
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 14:28 - Apr 6 with 1715 viewsbosh67

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 13:56 - Apr 6 by Myke

It's unusual all right. I think he was underwhelming early on when Warburton gave him more game time (probably due to a lack of match or even general fitness) and since then he has only had cameo roles, which he has done very well in. I would love to see him and Charlie (and Dykes -super header yesterday) all on the pitch at the same time. Is he only signed for this season? If so, can't see it being renewed - we probably signed him about 5 years too late.

Albert is 33 and not even 34 until the end of the year. He has a good 2 years in him and I would renew his contract for another season in a heartbeat. It's clear he motivates and inspires behind the scenes, he has been a cameo but has made the most assists in the team and if Charlie does move on (I hope he stays) I would think to play him up front alongside Dykes, Bonne or Kelman next season to keep an experienced head. Plus given a chance he knows where the goal is. A definite keep for me. Would love to see him on at the same time as Charlie because I am sure he would put Charlie's goal average up again.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 14:40 - Apr 6 with 1689 viewsWestbourneR

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 14:28 - Apr 6 by bosh67

Albert is 33 and not even 34 until the end of the year. He has a good 2 years in him and I would renew his contract for another season in a heartbeat. It's clear he motivates and inspires behind the scenes, he has been a cameo but has made the most assists in the team and if Charlie does move on (I hope he stays) I would think to play him up front alongside Dykes, Bonne or Kelman next season to keep an experienced head. Plus given a chance he knows where the goal is. A definite keep for me. Would love to see him on at the same time as Charlie because I am sure he would put Charlie's goal average up again.

I felt it was a big coup to get him and every time I've seen him play he looks a class above. I'd definitely extend his stay.

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 20:29 - Apr 6 with 1595 viewsderbyhoop

Agree with most of that.
Wallace has proven to be good enough when fit to justify at least 1 more year.
Niko is probably not Championship level.
Kakay and Kane both have their plus points but both have weaknesses. Kakay better defensively but Kane offers more going forward.
I think Field and De Wijs are shoe-ins, but the other 2 loanees might prove too expensive.
We can survive with 2 average wing backs; midfield with Amos and Carroll adding to what we already have should be adequate.

But we won't go up, or even pushing for play-offs, without a goalscorer. No Charlie, then we need somebody else.
At CB, Cameron might be retained as a squad player, but we would then need De Wijs to stay fit and Masterson to become a solid Championship player.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 14:10 - Apr 7 with 1404 viewsgazza1

No need to sign a new left sided player.......we got Wallace (who will get a new contract) and Niko (the jury is out on him but we have to see more)

The right side was covered as well by Kakay and Kane but now this issue surrounding Kane I am not sure so, perhaps we will need another right sided player who can defend(ish).

We may need a CB depending on if we keep Cameron and if Jordy stays fit or not. Masterson needs to be played to see if he is going to be good enough. Maybe another CB is needed but then we will be having players sitting around and I am not sure that we can afford 1st Team players sitting around. I think if we got desperate he will play Kakay or one of the defensive minded central midfielders as a CB.

Midfield, we are full.....Carroll is excess and I think he will be released.

Forwards are where we need more and better so I expect signing in that arear of the pitch.

I hope we keep all of our loans otherwise we will need replacements.
Wing Backs / Squad weakness on 15:28 - Apr 7 with 1362 viewsngbqpr

The biggest decision this summer will be if we try to re-shape a squad built for 4231 into one that better suits the 352 (or for Nick London, 3421) - or do we tweak it back towards 4231?

352 as a long term solution is a problem imho - our wing back options are all flawed, and it leaves the likes of Adomah and Thomas out in the cold, even for cameos. So it means wasting ££ we don't have.

I'd like to see us try 4231 again this season with Field / Johansen as a far superior '2' to Cameron & Ball - see if better players in front of them affords two from Dickie / Barbet DW sufficient protection.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024