Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Republic or Monarchy 10:27 - Apr 10 with 15263 viewsQPR_John

Reading the Prince Philip thread and some suggesting a republic set me thinking. I was going to post this on that thread but decided to open a new one. I'm interested in the reasons of those that want a republic. Do they also want to get rid of the title "Head of State". If so then leave it to the Prime Minister and you have an argument. If we do carry on the HoS how is he or she appointed. Just nominated by someone or some group or elected. Lets forget the former. If elected surely they would want some power which then sifts how we are governed. When would they be elected, at a General Election or a fixed term. If no political power who would vote even the General Election gets poor turn outs. Where would they live, Buckingham Palace or some two up two down in Railway Cuttings. How much would the office cost more or less than the monarchy. Do people who want a republic just want it because they do not like the idea of a monarchy or have they given it more thought
Republic or Monarchy on 10:52 - Apr 10 with 5871 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paper, rock, scissors. Next!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Republic or Monarchy on 11:14 - Apr 10 with 5837 viewsloftboy

Monarchy for me but have a serious cost cutting exercise with regards to 2nd cousins 3 times removed (or similar) receiving anything from the public purse.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Republic or Monarchy on 11:46 - Apr 10 with 5779 viewsozexile

I can understand members of the commonwealth wanting a republic but britain, not in my lifetime. However among my Aussie friends today there was no talk of a republic just talk of whether Harry and Meghan would go to the funeral.
Republic or Monarchy on 11:51 - Apr 10 with 5772 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My Mother and all her friends are stuck to the telly for the weekend. They're all fervent Royalists and this is only increasing their devotion, not diluting it. I would imagine that is replicated all over Britain. I can't see Britain changing to a Republic any time soon.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Republic or Monarchy on 11:58 - Apr 10 with 5757 viewsQPRSteve

Republic foe me all day long. Have the guillotine ready for the great day,
Republic or Monarchy on 11:59 - Apr 10 with 5749 viewsAntti_Heinola

Republic or Monarchy on 11:51 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

My Mother and all her friends are stuck to the telly for the weekend. They're all fervent Royalists and this is only increasing their devotion, not diluting it. I would imagine that is replicated all over Britain. I can't see Britain changing to a Republic any time soon.

Not really - all four main channels heavily down on viewing figures from previous Friday last night because most people DNGAF. (ITV was down 60% - and viewers weren't going to the Beeb either).
Britain won't change, but it should. The idea of a monarchy is a silly fairy tale and I find it grossly offensive that we fund their ridiculous lifestyles. But it won't change. This country will never change. It wil continue voting Tory and supporting the monarchy like good little minions for the rest of time.

Bare bones.

Republic or Monarchy on 12:02 - Apr 10 with 5732 viewsTGRRRSSS

Republic, in many ways the self important whinging from Harry and Meghan is a good example of it continually funding these people to basically live a life of unbelievable wealth and privilege and then to sit on whinge, the costs involved etc.

A slimmed down thing would help but really they are basically celebrities born into something.

Could do with slimming down the house of Lords too.
Republic or Monarchy on 12:06 - Apr 10 with 5711 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Republic or Monarchy on 11:59 - Apr 10 by Antti_Heinola

Not really - all four main channels heavily down on viewing figures from previous Friday last night because most people DNGAF. (ITV was down 60% - and viewers weren't going to the Beeb either).
Britain won't change, but it should. The idea of a monarchy is a silly fairy tale and I find it grossly offensive that we fund their ridiculous lifestyles. But it won't change. This country will never change. It wil continue voting Tory and supporting the monarchy like good little minions for the rest of time.

"Not really - all four main channels heavily down on viewing figures from previous Friday last night because most people DNGAF. (ITV was down 60% - and viewers weren't going to the Beeb either)."

Interesting figures, Antti. I'm surprised by that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Republic or Monarchy on 12:08 - Apr 10 with 5706 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Like almost every topic, it’s deeply divided amongst age lines.

Changing attitudes on monarchy, democracy, equality, and political parties will only hasten when we have reform on media and education.

There are massive campaigns to have alternative British history like the Peasants revolt, Diggers, Chartists, and Tolpuddle taught in the curriculum. Can’t come soon enough in my opinion.

That and the rise of independent media will bring about change I am sure.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:10]
Republic or Monarchy on 12:21 - Apr 10 with 5652 viewsAshdown_Ranger

I have no great love for or antipathy against the Royal Family.

They're a product of our history and, if we were setting up the country from scratch tomorrow, I doubt we'd have a Royal Family at all.

Yes, it really grates that a few wealthy individuals get their fabulous lifestyles subsidised by the public purse.

That said, some of the Royals genuinely work bloody hard for the good of the country and live their lives under a microscope - I certainly wouldn't want the job!

And the country certainly gains in terms of its heritage, tourism - and I'll bet many a big deal has been swung by a visit to the Palace or patronage by an A-list Royal.

The Royal family will never be dropped by any British government, it would be political suicide - and incite huge civil protests, even possibly risking a civil war.

Personally, I would like to see a diminishing of the sums paid to the Royal family and an on-going reduction of the number of Royals it's paid to - perhaps the current monarch and their immediate family only - some of the 'lesser' Royals seem little more than parasites to my mind.

They own so much land and property, they could quite happily continue their lives of luxury on those earnings alone.
Republic or Monarchy on 12:21 - Apr 10 with 5649 viewsW12Mikey

Republic or Monarchy on 12:08 - Apr 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Like almost every topic, it’s deeply divided amongst age lines.

Changing attitudes on monarchy, democracy, equality, and political parties will only hasten when we have reform on media and education.

There are massive campaigns to have alternative British history like the Peasants revolt, Diggers, Chartists, and Tolpuddle taught in the curriculum. Can’t come soon enough in my opinion.

That and the rise of independent media will bring about change I am sure.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 12:10]

Not quite sure why you think there is a "massive campaign" to have the Chartists put on the curriculum. It was a major topic in the A level History syllabus I did back in 1979 and as far as I know all the topics you mention have been taught in school history for decades.
Meanwhile, history teaching at universities has been dominated by left-wing perspectives for years.
What may bring about change is a change of personnel in the Royal Family. Even people who don't favour monarchy as an institution can't really fault the job the queen has done. A future monarch may not do so well. But proponents of a republic have to put forward detail on the future constitution, as others on this thread have pointed out, and I can't see any specific proposal getting majority support for a long time yet.
Republic or Monarchy on 12:23 - Apr 10 with 5631 viewsted_hendrix

I'm strictly against the Monarchy and I find it repulsive as I always have done , for the life of me I could never understand how fellow human beings had to bow and curtsey in front of other fellow human beings, that's not the reason for my anti-Royal stance of course its not but I could give you a thousand other reasons If I could be arsed which I cant.

It's a dreadful institution that will be here long after I'm gone.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Republic or Monarchy on 12:27 - Apr 10 with 5606 viewsSheffieldHoop

Republic or Monarchy on 12:21 - Apr 10 by W12Mikey

Not quite sure why you think there is a "massive campaign" to have the Chartists put on the curriculum. It was a major topic in the A level History syllabus I did back in 1979 and as far as I know all the topics you mention have been taught in school history for decades.
Meanwhile, history teaching at universities has been dominated by left-wing perspectives for years.
What may bring about change is a change of personnel in the Royal Family. Even people who don't favour monarchy as an institution can't really fault the job the queen has done. A future monarch may not do so well. But proponents of a republic have to put forward detail on the future constitution, as others on this thread have pointed out, and I can't see any specific proposal getting majority support for a long time yet.

Chartists, Peasant Revolt etc is literally KS3 History.
For example
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zhdhvcw/revision/1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z2c2pv4/revision/1

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Republic or Monarchy on 12:29 - Apr 10 with 5593 viewsngbqpr

Flipping the OP a bit, I think Ashdown's line sums it up nicely - if we were starting from scratch looking to build the best system, would a hereditary monarchy be part of it? I genuinely can't see one reason why.

Disband the monarchy & House of Lords. Introduce a fairer voting system where every vote counts for something. Muzzle the ultra-rich media moguls. Then we might get somewhere.

Not that I'm expecting any of the above in my lifetime.

Good luck Britain.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Republic or Monarchy on 12:30 - Apr 10 with 5592 viewskensalriser

Apparently there was one death dominating the most viewed stories on the BBC website yesterday afternoon: DMX.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Republic or Monarchy on 12:37 - Apr 10 with 5564 viewsCliff

Republic or Monarchy on 11:51 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure you're reading that right. Yes I'm sure that fervent Royalists are genuinely upset and this may have increased their devotion. I'm also sure fervent Republicans (like me) are even more p!sssed off than usual with the royals over the excessive coverage. The key thing, which is the same in elections, is what are the middle ground thinking?
Republic or Monarchy on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 5553 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m not against the monarchy myself,but I do have a problem with all the ponces who live in big mansions because their descendants were given it,and the land that goes with it because they chose the right side in a battle that happened centuries ago.
Keep the head of state,but get rid of all the rest.And reduce the money that we pay the Queen.She is one of the worlds richest women so she doesn’t need us to pay her shedloads every year.
Republic or Monarchy on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 5546 viewsAntti_Heinola

Republic or Monarchy on 12:06 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

"Not really - all four main channels heavily down on viewing figures from previous Friday last night because most people DNGAF. (ITV was down 60% - and viewers weren't going to the Beeb either)."

Interesting figures, Antti. I'm surprised by that.

I'm surprised you're surprised.
I think it might be different when the Queen goes, but I don't think the country at large has much of an opinion about Philip. You'd have to be 40 just to have been alive when he was 60. To most people he's just a very old tall man who for some reason was still allowed to drive at 98 years old and stnds next to the Queen a lot.
Netflix likely a big winner last night I expect!
Unless everyone was watching Watford v Reading?

Bare bones.

Republic or Monarchy on 12:43 - Apr 10 with 5532 viewsngbqpr

Republic or Monarchy on 12:23 - Apr 10 by ted_hendrix

I'm strictly against the Monarchy and I find it repulsive as I always have done , for the life of me I could never understand how fellow human beings had to bow and curtsey in front of other fellow human beings, that's not the reason for my anti-Royal stance of course its not but I could give you a thousand other reasons If I could be arsed which I cant.

It's a dreadful institution that will be here long after I'm gone.

As you say Ted, so so many reasons.

Tell you what boils my piss. When a royal does something normal and / or banal and it is deemed newsworthy. The BBC website actually has a whole story today about when a photographer "caught the Queen giggling at the Duke." FFS.

I've lost count of the number of stories which seem to involve little other than Kate or William talking to 'everyday folk'. Thanks for nothing, now get on with your lives and I'll get on with mine.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Republic or Monarchy on 12:45 - Apr 10 with 5521 viewsAntti_Heinola

Republic or Monarchy on 12:21 - Apr 10 by Ashdown_Ranger

I have no great love for or antipathy against the Royal Family.

They're a product of our history and, if we were setting up the country from scratch tomorrow, I doubt we'd have a Royal Family at all.

Yes, it really grates that a few wealthy individuals get their fabulous lifestyles subsidised by the public purse.

That said, some of the Royals genuinely work bloody hard for the good of the country and live their lives under a microscope - I certainly wouldn't want the job!

And the country certainly gains in terms of its heritage, tourism - and I'll bet many a big deal has been swung by a visit to the Palace or patronage by an A-list Royal.

The Royal family will never be dropped by any British government, it would be political suicide - and incite huge civil protests, even possibly risking a civil war.

Personally, I would like to see a diminishing of the sums paid to the Royal family and an on-going reduction of the number of Royals it's paid to - perhaps the current monarch and their immediate family only - some of the 'lesser' Royals seem little more than parasites to my mind.

They own so much land and property, they could quite happily continue their lives of luxury on those earnings alone.

I see this 'they work bloody hard' line trotted out so much.

How, exactly, do we know this? What does that even mean?

Are we supposed to applaud them for working 'for the good of the country' - I mean, that is *literally* their job. And let's not forget, their pay for their 'hard work' is, you know, slightly above what, say, a nurse might be earning. They don't reveal plaques for free.

They also don't live under a microscope at all. Access to them is ludicrously limited and completely controlled (barring leaks and phone hacking, of course!).

There is barely anyone alive who is old enough to remember a different monarch, so this idea that they do a great job and work hard has nothing to compare it with at all.

The tourist line etc doesn't wash with me, because we could still do all that without a royal family and without paying them. Castles, palaces etc wouldn't disappear. They can be monetised. They could support themselves. It's daft.

Bare bones.

Republic or Monarchy on 12:49 - Apr 10 with 5510 viewsNorthantsHoop

I am not a fervent monarchist, but with our constitutional monarchy, there is some form of checks and balance in the system, even if it is submerged in right and privilege. Think the Royal Family give us the history we need to hold onto, even if it costs us a bit, but think they more than pay for themselves. If we were to lose another piece of our history, which is what they are, think our great country would be further diminished than it already has been in recent times.
Republic or Monarchy on 12:51 - Apr 10 with 5499 viewsstowmarketrange

Republic or Monarchy on 12:40 - Apr 10 by Antti_Heinola

I'm surprised you're surprised.
I think it might be different when the Queen goes, but I don't think the country at large has much of an opinion about Philip. You'd have to be 40 just to have been alive when he was 60. To most people he's just a very old tall man who for some reason was still allowed to drive at 98 years old and stnds next to the Queen a lot.
Netflix likely a big winner last night I expect!
Unless everyone was watching Watford v Reading?

Luckily I was at work last night and I missed most of the endless coverage on the tv.I spent most of the night listening to music on the radio.They played a recorded voice all night saying that this is to pay respect to Prince Philips.Whoever knew he was called Philips?Off with his head.
Republic or Monarchy on 13:04 - Apr 10 with 5460 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Republic or Monarchy on 12:27 - Apr 10 by SheffieldHoop

Chartists, Peasant Revolt etc is literally KS3 History.
For example
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zhdhvcw/revision/1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z2c2pv4/revision/1

Great news. I stand corrected. Wasn’t around when I was in school during the 80s and 90s that’s for sure.

Perhaps that’s why a lot of young people now are rejecting the major parties and monarchy and are pulling down slaver statues. Who knows.
Republic or Monarchy on 13:05 - Apr 10 with 5461 viewsRanger_Things

I'm an atheist so I strongly disagree with the premise they have been anointed by god to rule. Unless they can prove in a court of law that is actually the case they should return the 30 odd castles and palaces, millions of acres of land, billions of pounds worth of trinkets, be removed from all politics and we should stop all taxpayer funding.
As a favour we could let them choose one residence to rent for them all to live together and they can trade on their name for income. Although I suspect they'd fck off to an overseas tax haven in a heartbeat.
Fcking parasites.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 13:17]
Republic or Monarchy on 13:14 - Apr 10 with 5409 viewsdistortR

Republic or Monarchy on 12:43 - Apr 10 by ngbqpr

As you say Ted, so so many reasons.

Tell you what boils my piss. When a royal does something normal and / or banal and it is deemed newsworthy. The BBC website actually has a whole story today about when a photographer "caught the Queen giggling at the Duke." FFS.

I've lost count of the number of stories which seem to involve little other than Kate or William talking to 'everyday folk'. Thanks for nothing, now get on with your lives and I'll get on with mine.

The op was thoughtful, I'm not a fan of the monarchy but to many they have already seemingly been replaced by 'celebs' - talk about banality being news worthy.
We killed god and replaced him with money.
We seem to be killing nation and replacing with self.
I see a pattern of things I may not be keen on being removed and replaced, but not for the better. We live in a time of illusion and quick thrills constantly moving on. I'm not sure we're in a place as a society where we are prepared to have a prolonged and intelligent debate about where we go from here - instead we put 10p on a plastic bag and continue regardless. Politics, particularly by people in opposition, increasingly seems to be about single issues, no-one has the time or energy or perhaps the know-how to join the dots. I include myself in this, too many times my politics has been from the lyric sheet (Spot the NMA line, lytham!)
I was in Australia when they had a referendum on the monarchy - they voted to continue with it, anecdotally a major reason was the fear that what you replace it with, might be worse, as the op said. I've wrestled with that ever since, and have never really come to an answer.
One more thing - in the wonderful book 'sapiens', the author puts a major part of humanities ability to succeed, to act collectively and maintain bonds, as our ability to create gods/flags/a common cause. what happens if we do away with all that?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024