Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng peno save 10:01 - Sep 22 with 4385 viewsstainrods_elbow

I fulminated at the time, but was the ref right? I've looked at it a few times since, and it seems Seny did marginally encroach off his line, but I'd be surprised if that hasn't happened many times before with no action. I'm also thinking of that outrageous incident when we had a pen at HQ a sesason or so back (it might have been one of Wells's) when one of the oppo defenders encroached so far into the box he was virtually alongside the ball. Was this a case of 'proper' Prem technical reffing that we never would have seen in a bog-standard Champ game? At the time, it looked harsh to me. Perhaps the ref. just wanted to see if the kicker would score, but there's another question in my mind as to why, if he saw an infringement, he didn't stop play and delay the pen rather than allow Seny to make a great save and then punish him for it.

Can anyone remember an incident where this has happened before? It also seems bizarre that the laws apparently allow all kinds of pre-kick high jinks by the keeper (whether on his line or off it) - think of Grobbelaar and his wobbly knees back in the 80s - in ways that I'm never sure help the keepers themselvesl But I was just thrilled that Seny saved two to take us through, as his record has been poor here up to now.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dieng peno save on 13:19 - Sep 22 with 1491 viewsstowmarketrange

Dieng peno save on 13:05 - Sep 22 by CroydonCaptJack

One thing I couldn't understand (and apologies if covered elsewhere) was how come pens were taken at the away end AND they took the first pen. Presumably having lost the toss for ends we decided to take ours second?

It was a pity that the penalties were taken at the school end because from the front of ML I couldn’t see anything as our players were blocking our view.Inconsiderate b@stards.
The choice of going 1st or 2nd would be down to the team winning the toss,as I think the ref tosses twice.Once for ends and then for the order of taking them.Maybe Everton won both?
Dieng peno save on 13:39 - Sep 22 with 1457 viewsEsox_Lucius

One thing I couldn't understand (and apologies if covered elsewhere) was how come pens were taken at the away end AND they took the first pen. Presumably having lost the toss for ends we decided to take ours second?

Holgate won the toss and elected to take them in front of his own fans.

The grass is always greener.

Dieng peno save on 14:24 - Sep 22 with 1403 viewsJuzzie

Dieng peno save on 13:19 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

It was a pity that the penalties were taken at the school end because from the front of ML I couldn’t see anything as our players were blocking our view.Inconsiderate b@stards.
The choice of going 1st or 2nd would be down to the team winning the toss,as I think the ref tosses twice.Once for ends and then for the order of taking them.Maybe Everton won both?

It's all they won last night
Dieng peno save on 14:43 - Sep 22 with 1379 viewssaxbend

That was frustrating but I think Seny was off his line. I was much more bothered by two other things though. First of all I am still convinced that Digne was offside, and secondly when Godfrey crept 15 yards forwards for a throw that he knew exactly where to take as he was involved in the tackle that led to it, arsed about when the ref and lino ordered him back, then just walked forward the same 15 yards again and was allowed to take it anyway. That is really poor refereeing. He should have been booked for not going back immediately when told, never mind that he knew exactly where the ball had gone out since he was there when it happened, and then he should never have been allowed to walk up the touchline a second time. His was the penalty that got retaken too. I really wanted Seny to save that retake. But we won, so I'll get over it.
Dieng peno save on 14:48 - Sep 22 with 1369 viewsR_from_afar

I have only seen the pens once, on Sky Sports News, but my first thought was that if refs are going to be that picky (although the decision was correct), surely the Everton 'keeper must have done the same thing for at least one of our pens? I'll have a look at the highlights.

On another note, the way we took those pens will have put the fear of God into whoever we play next in the tournament. A full set of beautifully executed penalties . It might make our opposition take more risks in the 90 minutes because we looked utterly clinical and ruthless.

I was dreading an Rs player missing and thought Duke-McKenna or Dunne might fail to score as they are quite inexperienced, thought Albert might miss because it meant so much to him and thought Amos might fail because he has to be a bit rusty. But no! Great stuff! Come on my team!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dieng peno save on 14:49 - Sep 22 with 1368 viewsEastR

Dieng peno save on 13:19 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

this video was posted on another thread (thanks Boston) its the view from the away end

great footage of the pens from about 11 mins - and perfect view of the 'save' from Dieng at 12.04

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Dieng peno save on 15:23 - Sep 22 with 1336 viewsstainrods_elbow

Dieng peno save on 14:48 - Sep 22 by R_from_afar

I have only seen the pens once, on Sky Sports News, but my first thought was that if refs are going to be that picky (although the decision was correct), surely the Everton 'keeper must have done the same thing for at least one of our pens? I'll have a look at the highlights.

On another note, the way we took those pens will have put the fear of God into whoever we play next in the tournament. A full set of beautifully executed penalties . It might make our opposition take more risks in the 90 minutes because we looked utterly clinical and ruthless.

I was dreading an Rs player missing and thought Duke-McKenna or Dunne might fail to score as they are quite inexperienced, thought Albert might miss because it meant so much to him and thought Amos might fail because he has to be a bit rusty. But no! Great stuff! Come on my team!

I felt exactly the same about all those players, and they all proved me/us wondrously wrong. Uncle's for me was the pick of the bunch, just out of the keeper's reach off the post (I think), though he went the right way. Only Amos's was a touch lucky, but his smile running back made me smile for him.

I got the feeling that Friend was no friend of ours, and wanted Everton to win, as one or two of his decisions suggested. So eat that, ref., linos, Everton and fatboy Rafa. We rode our luck at times in the 2nd half, but more than earned it after the travesty vs Brizzle, and failing to get a point at least at Bournemouth.

Now, if we can put a serious crimp in West Brom's unbeaten record on Friday, I'll be turning (strictly metaphorical) cartwheels, and wouldn't bet against us doing exactly that.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dieng peno save on 15:36 - Sep 22 with 1313 viewsWalnut

Agreed, fantastic penalties by us. Even the one their keeper got a hand to, was powerful enough to go in anyway.

"surely the Everton 'keeper must have done the same thing for at least one of our pens?"
This is irrelevant as we didn't miss any so no need to consider retakes
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng peno save on 15:47 - Sep 22 with 1295 viewsJamieNaz

Dieng peno save on 12:33 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

That was as much a handball as when I caught the ball behind the goal on about 25 minutes.I don’t expect the lino to see but the ref should’ve noticed it and penalised the defender.

Presumably, it was the arm on the other side of the defender's body from where the referee was stood?

Saw everyone in the crowd and the players on that side of him (there were two) all claim it vociferously, no one else on the other side could see it tbh.

Thought the ref was pretty good on the whole. Certainly a lot better than some we've had recently
Dieng peno save on 15:48 - Sep 22 with 1294 viewsA40Bosh

Dieng peno save on 14:49 - Sep 22 by EastR

this video was posted on another thread (thanks Boston) its the view from the away end

great footage of the pens from about 11 mins - and perfect view of the 'save' from Dieng at 12.04

Until someone kindly posted the link to the stream in the Match thread (thanks again whoever that was as it was perfect all game) I had my headphones on listening to the Nick London commentary but as it was out of sync with the live stream, which had no commentary, I switched off the QPR+ comms but forgot to take my headphones off. As I had had them up loud with no commentary you could really hear some of the stuff that goes on that we obviously miss in the back row of F Block. There were some ambience mics obviously set up around the ground and you could hear a lot of what the coaching teams were shouting out at the players during the match.

So the biggest laugh of last night was that scouse prick who was obviously directly behind Senny's goal during the 2nd half and the penalties telling him he was a useless c++t and before Tom Davis took a free kick he spent about 20 seconds warbling on to Senny about the free kick going in and there was nothing he could do about it "sorry laaaa" non stop shite coming out of his mouth. Would love to see a picture of his stupid mug as Senny saved Davis' penalty and then Dunne crashed his in to the back of the net. It's the small things that really please me.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Dieng peno save on 16:09 - Sep 22 with 1275 viewsDavieQPR

i just wonder a little whether the re take would have been ordered if it had been the Everton keeper.
Dieng peno save on 16:13 - Sep 22 with 1268 viewsBoston

Interesting night for Phil Parkes to be in attendance.

Mrs Boston watched the pens with me, she was very excited, asked me what they were competing for, I told her ‘The Car Boot Cup’.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dieng peno save on 17:49 - Sep 22 with 1206 viewsPinnerPaul

Dieng peno save on 10:39 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

It wasn’t the lino that spotted anything wrong though.Is was the ref that noticed Dieng off his line.The Lino only has one job to do in a penalty shootout,and he didn’t appear to do it properly.
Another thing I noticed about the genuine save by Dieng was the ball appeared to be spinning in the air and might’ve been spinning back towards the goal,but when Davies caught it,it was deemed a miss.
I’ve just seen it again and the lino was the one from the other side of the pitch from Ellerslie Road.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 10:58]

Yep senior lino would have been on the line as it were.

Presume there is/was GL technology, so he WOULD have been looking at Seny I think.

As I've said countless times, they have comms so no need to wave flag, he just tells Friend in his ear.
Dieng peno save on 17:53 - Sep 22 with 1201 viewsPinnerPaul

Dieng peno save on 11:12 - Sep 22 by ManinBlack

The keeper's now tend to stand behind the line now as demonstrated by the Liverpool keeper saving a Norwich penalty last night. This method allows the goalkeeper to step forward and be on the line when making the save. If Seny had done that he would have still saved the penalty and been on his line.

Not actually allowed to stand behind the line

"The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker,
between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net,
until the ball has been kicked."
Dieng peno save on 17:56 - Sep 22 with 1198 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee tosses coin to decide ends, then another toss and winner decides if they want to kick 1st or 2nd.

For those involved at grassroots, referee can just decide what end to take pens if ground conditions favour one end over the other.
Dieng peno save on 17:58 - Sep 22 with 1197 viewsPinnerPaul

but we didn't miss any, so doesn't matter what the Everton GK did???!!!!
Dieng peno save on 19:49 - Sep 22 with 1139 viewsCiderwithRsie

Nearly spoilt my day and I think Dieng was "unlucky" in that lot's of refs would have missed it but it was a strict-but-fair decision and I thought Friend was pretty sound throughout. Tbf both sides payed football and didn't give him much to do.
Dieng peno save on 20:44 - Sep 22 with 1107 viewsstowmarketrange

Dieng peno save on 17:49 - Sep 22 by PinnerPaul

Yep senior lino would have been on the line as it were.

Presume there is/was GL technology, so he WOULD have been looking at Seny I think.

As I've said countless times, they have comms so no need to wave flag, he just tells Friend in his ear.

Ok mate cheers.
Dieng peno save on 23:43 - Sep 22 with 1065 viewshoops_legend

I hate how a striker can do whatever they want in the run up but a keeper can move two cms. Dieng was barely off his line. Legitimate save so very harsh!
Dieng peno save on 12:21 - Sep 23 with 985 viewsPinnerPaul

Dieng peno save on 23:43 - Sep 22 by hoops_legend

I hate how a striker can do whatever they want in the run up but a keeper can move two cms. Dieng was barely off his line. Legitimate save so very harsh!

I know what you mean.

Although they HAVE tweaked the balance a tad in that if the attacker misses the goal or hits the post then GK movement is not considered "unless it has had a significant impact on the kicker".

In reality that means a miss is no retake.
Dieng peno save on 13:47 - Sep 23 with 912 viewsR_from_afar

Dieng peno save on 16:13 - Sep 22 by Boston

Interesting night for Phil Parkes to be in attendance.

Mrs Boston watched the pens with me, she was very excited, asked me what they were competing for, I told her ‘The Car Boot Cup’.

Come on, the Carabao Cup is a much coveted trophy. Neither Barca nor Bayern have ever come close to winning it

Going back to that video by the Everton fan, note how he can't stop himself complimenting Barbet on his piledriver of a pen!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dieng peno save on 14:06 - Sep 23 with 897 viewsToast_R

Quite incredible, one minute we're celebrating thinking we're going going to to do it and the next minute an Everton player is stepping up again. Thought I'd blacked out or something.
Dieng peno save on 15:44 - Sep 24 with 762 viewsCliff

Both decisions correct I think
Dieng peno save on 17:11 - Sep 24 with 718 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng peno save on 15:44 - Sep 24 by Cliff

Both decisions correct I think

Agreed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dieng peno save on 18:15 - Sep 24 with 687 viewsthame_hoops

I remember the missed PK vs brum at home couple years ago when we lost 4-3, loads of their players encroached. I filmed it and watched back after it was madnesss
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024