Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austin 10:34 - Oct 18 with 10244 viewsNW5Hoop

Getting worried watching him now — it's the Austin some of us feared had come back to us in January rather than the one who played the second half of last season. Obviously, he was never fast, but watching him run now is painful — you're willing him to get to his destination before they call last orders and the night buses start running. And that's a problem: he's now so immobile that he can barely pressure defenders, he can't get into positions in open play, and he barely even drags defenders away to create space for others. And when he's on his own upfront, I mean, really, what's the point?

Like everyone else, I have enormous goodwill towards him. But he is not looking like a good signing at the moment and hasn't all season. I hope it picks up, and I don't blame the club for signing him based on the second half of last season. But this will not have been a low-wage piece of business, and I can't help thinking the money might have been used elsewhere.
Austin on 18:13 - Oct 18 with 2400 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 18:04 - Oct 18 by daveB

The Austin fitness thing is nonsense imo. Moses is a lot younger than him and was struggling to run by the end of the game he looked exhausted and no one suggesting he isn't fit. The 4th goal Chair is walking back, barley breaks into a job again no question on his fitness.

Fitness wise he looks no different to what he did in 2013 when he was never one for pressing or chasing around the pitch, he always conserved his energy and came to life in the penalty area.

Struggling to run by the end of the game is a wholly different proposition to blowing out of your arse after 60 minutes. He's unfit, period.
Austin on 18:23 - Oct 18 with 2351 viewsdaveB

Austin on 18:13 - Oct 18 by Benny_the_Ball

Struggling to run by the end of the game is a wholly different proposition to blowing out of your arse after 60 minutes. He's unfit, period.

I just think that's really unfair. Warburton tends to sub whoever started up front after an hour regardless of if fans think they are fit or not.
Austin on 18:39 - Oct 18 with 2319 viewssprocket

Austin completed 90 mins on several occasions this season. He scores goals. Does not need to run around a lot. It's quickly forgotten when we had BFG and Sylla up front.
Austin on 20:21 - Oct 18 with 2211 viewsJigsore

Austin on 18:39 - Oct 18 by sprocket

Austin completed 90 mins on several occasions this season. He scores goals. Does not need to run around a lot. It's quickly forgotten when we had BFG and Sylla up front.

genuinely, as a thought experiment I would love to see how many Sylla scored in this team with Chair and Willock backing him

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Austin on 20:41 - Oct 18 with 2160 viewspaulparker

If you want a striker to plough alone up top and chase down defenders then it’s not Austin’s game
He is a striker who needs one maybe two chances and it’s a goal
He got naff all service all day , the defence was so deep in the first half they may as well have been in the away end and our midfield was overrun I don’t really see what Austin could of done , our full backs were poor and provided sod all, how Moses stayed on is a mystery , should have come on
The tactics and set up was on the manager he got it wrong
As I said earlier I would be more concerned with the attitude and fitness of Gray at least Austin earns his money

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Austin on 21:36 - Oct 18 with 2097 viewsdavman

Austin on 18:04 - Oct 18 by WestbourneR

We've got a problem because Austin, Dykes, Willock & Chair on the pitch at the same time doesn't work - but arguably all should play.

For me, Austin is the man to miss out - and I never thought I'd say that.

We need Willock and Chair on the pitch for as many minutes as possible.

We need more than Jojo in the centre of the park.

We need three central defenders.

That means one up top, which is absolutely fine with me.

That one has to be Dykes, then Austin, then Gray.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Austin on 21:39 - Oct 18 with 2091 viewsplasmahoop

Personally I've got faith in Austin. Think with supply he will score goals. Some of the time that might be off the bench, but that's fine. Its not fair to write him off, but I would too be more concerned about gray, who presumably is a decent player, but doesn't look it at the moment. Not really sure what his game is. Just looking to run after over the top balls seems a bit futile at this level
Austin on 22:01 - Oct 18 with 2062 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gerd Muller would struggle to score with Odubajo supplying the crosses.
Login to get fewer ads

Austin on 22:07 - Oct 18 with 2046 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Regarding Charlie, look at his goals against (Premier League) Everton; that'll do for me. Our problems on Saturday were not down to him.
Austin on 23:33 - Oct 18 with 1970 viewsJigsore

Austin on 22:01 - Oct 18 by Wegerles_Stairs

Gerd Muller would struggle to score with Odubajo supplying the crosses.

he would now, definitely

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Austin on 23:39 - Oct 18 with 1960 viewsSydneyRs

So we fail yet again to turn up at Fulham, get outplayed by a far more expensively assembled team, completely lose the midfield battle and yet Charlie is still expected to score a hat-trick? Seems a little harsh.

I assume many of the people writing him off were doing the same with Wallace and Dykes last season.
Austin on 00:23 - Oct 19 with 1927 viewspaulhoop2

I trust Warbs so let’s support what he sees is correct.

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Austin on 03:17 - Oct 19 with 1873 viewsnix

I think Austin will still be very useful where we've got lots of space and he can run off the defender for short distances.

He's just not going to be effective in high press games where we need the forward to create their own space by running in from deep or outmuscling defenders. We look so much better with Dykes playing, and offering more of an outlet, in those kind of games.

Teams like Barnsley, Fulham and WBA have crowded out our midfield which makes us play very slowly up to the front and gives their defenders time to get back and choke out our forwards.

If we get Field and/or Amos we've got a bit more pace and physicality in midfield which will hopefully mean we're less overrun there.

The problem in my view has been that for various reasons, like illness or international duty, Warbs has had to play Austin against some teams that were better suited to Dykes.

Over the whole season, though, I think he'll score us goals. Bearing in mind that we've had our bad injuries early on (also losing McCallum and Wallace) and other teams may not have their best players all season.
Austin on 03:42 - Oct 19 with 1870 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 18:23 - Oct 18 by daveB

I just think that's really unfair. Warburton tends to sub whoever started up front after an hour regardless of if fans think they are fit or not.

On the contrary, it's firm but fair. On Saturday Charlie was gassed after 60 minutes. He's also carrying too much timber. This is high-level professional football, not Hackney Marshes.
Austin on 03:47 - Oct 19 with 1869 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 21:39 - Oct 18 by plasmahoop

Personally I've got faith in Austin. Think with supply he will score goals. Some of the time that might be off the bench, but that's fine. Its not fair to write him off, but I would too be more concerned about gray, who presumably is a decent player, but doesn't look it at the moment. Not really sure what his game is. Just looking to run after over the top balls seems a bit futile at this level

I don't think anyone is writing him off. He's still more than capable of lighting up this division but he has to knuckle down and get fit.
Austin on 04:16 - Oct 19 with 1857 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Austin on 18:39 - Oct 18 by sprocket

It's almost November and Charlie has scored 1 goal in the Championship. Just 1, against Barnsley back in August!

The much derided Andre Gray has scored 2. No one leaps to Andre's defence suggesting that perhaps it's the supply line that's lacking. Charlie, meanwhile, can do no wrong.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 4:24]
Austin on 07:08 - Oct 19 with 1790 viewsHastings_Hoops

Austin isn’t main striker - Dykes is. The impact Austin has had on Dykes, a sellable asset, is phenomenal and we should see that positive. Austin will still weigh in with important goals when needed.

I would have liked to have seen Bonne or Kelman kept at the club to learn from Austin.
Austin on 10:39 - Oct 19 with 1701 viewsNW5Hoop

Austin on 23:39 - Oct 18 by SydneyRs

So we fail yet again to turn up at Fulham, get outplayed by a far more expensively assembled team, completely lose the midfield battle and yet Charlie is still expected to score a hat-trick? Seems a little harsh.

I assume many of the people writing him off were doing the same with Wallace and Dykes last season.

Don't think anyone is expecting him to score a hat trick every game, or is writing him off. It's hardly controversial to look at his performances this season and think he hasn't been tearing up trees, and he really doesn't look in the right shape for a professional footballer. (Also you can go through my past posts looking for pops at Dykes and Wallace; you won't find any.)

The issue is his immobility hampers our style: you have to make the team play for him alone. Same problem for Man Utd with Ronaldo. I don't know how MW solves that. He wanted Charlie, and he has to work out what to do with him. But it really isn't working at the moment.

That said, we're still scoring hatfuls, and everyone is getting goals. It's just that this season, when I see Austin starting on his own, I feel less sure we'll be getting those goals.

EDIT: Less worried about Gray because he's just on loan and we can ship him back.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 10:48]
Austin on 11:26 - Oct 19 with 1652 viewsPhilmyRs

Austin on 10:39 - Oct 19 by NW5Hoop

Don't think anyone is expecting him to score a hat trick every game, or is writing him off. It's hardly controversial to look at his performances this season and think he hasn't been tearing up trees, and he really doesn't look in the right shape for a professional footballer. (Also you can go through my past posts looking for pops at Dykes and Wallace; you won't find any.)

The issue is his immobility hampers our style: you have to make the team play for him alone. Same problem for Man Utd with Ronaldo. I don't know how MW solves that. He wanted Charlie, and he has to work out what to do with him. But it really isn't working at the moment.

That said, we're still scoring hatfuls, and everyone is getting goals. It's just that this season, when I see Austin starting on his own, I feel less sure we'll be getting those goals.

EDIT: Less worried about Gray because he's just on loan and we can ship him back.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 10:48]

I think it’s fair to raise some concerns about Austin and think some valid points have been made. But as another poster pointed out, play to Austin’s strengths and against certain opposition, he’s still very effective at this level. Everton at home in the cup is a prime example where he bullied (at times) a guy very close to the England team/squad.

He’s not the same player for sure, and I don’t think he has it in him to play the loan striker when Willock and Chair are looking to play their cute, passing game and trying to link play with him but getting decent delivery into the box from wide positions and he’s still our best finisher. Use him intelligently this season and I think he’ll be effective, try and make him do a job he was never that suited too and now he’s not as agile, he’s really not suited too at all and we’ll struggle.
Austin on 14:09 - Oct 19 with 1479 viewsR_from_afar

When talking about the fitness of any player, what we don't know is whether the manager has told that player the plan is for him to only play, say, 60 or 70 minutes, then come off, so he should not pace himself but just go full tilt for an hour or so. That's how Valerian Ishmael often does things.

That said, if a player ambles about for 65 minutes puffing and blowing, that is clearly not acceptable for a professional footballer.

Oh and as Benny the Ball said, no one seems to be questioning the supply the player is getting when it comes to Gray...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Austin on 14:40 - Oct 19 with 1426 viewsdaveB

Austin on 04:16 - Oct 19 by Benny_the_Ball

It's almost November and Charlie has scored 1 goal in the Championship. Just 1, against Barnsley back in August!

The much derided Andre Gray has scored 2. No one leaps to Andre's defence suggesting that perhaps it's the supply line that's lacking. Charlie, meanwhile, can do no wrong.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 4:24]

I wouldn't criticise Gray too much either at the moment, think he's only started 2 games. Not sure what he's done to deserve the stick he's getting.
Austin on 14:52 - Oct 19 with 1416 viewsterryb

Austin on 14:40 - Oct 19 by daveB

I wouldn't criticise Gray too much either at the moment, think he's only started 2 games. Not sure what he's done to deserve the stick he's getting.

I don't think that I'm criticising Grey, but I do feel that signing him has upset the balance of the squad.

Yes, we probably do need another attacking option, but is reducing the playing time for Dykes & Austin helping? I would also question whether Grey's style of playing fits in with our playing style?

None of this is the fault of Grey, but contributes to fans unease about him.
Austin on 15:01 - Oct 19 with 1403 viewsParkRoyalR

Austin on 14:40 - Oct 19 by daveB

Minimum expectation of a professional footballer is that they are 'fit for service / work'.

Gray 'shanked' a cross near the away late on against Fulham which seemed to me due to fatigue / lack of fitness - could be wrong as had only played 20 minutes - similarly might be why Austin seems to be snatching his shots / shooting too early in recent games.

I got Wallace wrong as didnt think he could get his fitness up to the levels he has where he can play a full 90, hope to be wrong on both Austin and Gray, but think their current levels of fitness are nowhere near level required in Championship.
Austin on 16:30 - Oct 19 with 1335 viewsfrancisbowles

Austin on 15:01 - Oct 19 by ParkRoyalR

Minimum expectation of a professional footballer is that they are 'fit for service / work'.

Gray 'shanked' a cross near the away late on against Fulham which seemed to me due to fatigue / lack of fitness - could be wrong as had only played 20 minutes - similarly might be why Austin seems to be snatching his shots / shooting too early in recent games.

I got Wallace wrong as didnt think he could get his fitness up to the levels he has where he can play a full 90, hope to be wrong on both Austin and Gray, but think their current levels of fitness are nowhere near level required in Championship.

Hadn't Gray played for Jamaica on Thursday. I was really surprised to see him on the bench.
Austin on 16:39 - Oct 19 with 1313 viewsjoe90

Flo Lloyd-Hughes got a lot stick for her comments about Austin. Just saying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024