Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peterborough in the Cup 18:10 - Jan 29 with 6681 viewstraininvain

Thoughts on team selection and resting players?

Personally I’d pick the strongest team possible maybe with the exception of Willock and give one of the centre backs a rest for Sanderson.

Winning is a good habit and it’d be good to maintain momentum.
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:16 - Jan 29 with 4038 viewsChrisNW6

Rest Willock, play Marshall and give Austin a start.
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:35 - Jan 29 with 3974 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Peterborough in the Cup on 18:16 - Jan 29 by ChrisNW6

Rest Willock, play Marshall and give Austin a start.

Given Posh will be wary of risking their top-boys for the opposite reason as us, I’d assume they’d be resting as many as thought necessary.

Willock definitely, possibly Wallace, Uncs, Jojo and even Field and Dykes, but equally it might be important to give some others game time. I’d play: Walsh; Moses; JDW; Sanderson (if possible); Ball; Dozzy; Amos; and Thomas to avoid risking our more precious jewels.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Peterborough in the Cup on 18:42 - Jan 29 with 3946 viewsRs_Holy

Play the kids
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:48 - Jan 29 with 3915 viewseasthertsr

Definitely rest as many of the regulars as possible. The season is getting to the sharp end and to lose a vital player in the cup would be a huge blow.
Peterborough in the Cup on 18:48 - Jan 29 with 3907 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'd rest Field for definite.

He fouled a lot today and without reviewing the video that's sometimes a sign of being a half a second off, which would be understandable. He's come back in and played a lot of football. I'd send him and his family (if he has one) on a few days' break to a Health Club, tell him to rest up but look after himself, and then get him ready for the Boro game.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:10 - Jan 29 with 3821 viewsManinBlack

The woeful display by Posh tonight may see the manager put them all out against us next week as punishment. 83 minutes played and not one shot at goal second half. So easy for Sheffield Utd. Didn't play like this against us. I rather suspect the cup game will have two teams not that keen on winning rather like the Rotherham game with bigger fish to fry.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2022 19:13]
Peterborough in the Cup on 19:19 - Jan 29 with 3770 viewsNorthantsHoop

Strong as team as can be afforded, keep the momentum going we owe them one after turning us over back in October. A cup run is good for morale.
Peterborough in the Cup on 19:24 - Jan 29 with 3731 viewsLongsufferingR

You know what. I'll be there, and right now after today I couldn't care less if we play the first team or Gladys the tea lady.
Login to get fewer ads

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:28 - Jan 29 with 3700 viewsMick_S

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:19 - Jan 29 by NorthantsHoop

Strong as team as can be afforded, keep the momentum going we owe them one after turning us over back in October. A cup run is good for morale.

With you there mate - we have the best part of 3,500 going and they deserve a proper go at this.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:31 - Jan 29 with 3680 viewsToast_R

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:19 - Jan 29 by NorthantsHoop

Not to mention the chance of a money draw in round 5.
Peterborough in the Cup on 19:39 - Jan 29 with 3644 viewsOregonQPR

Pick your strongest team, with rare exceptions, for every game. If you don’t do that for an FA Cup match then why bother entering the tournament it isn’t mandatory.

This nonsense that started with media acceptance and now has such widespread fan acceptance about resting players gets my goat. They get to rest between games and with the advance in sports science, nutrition (not working for Austin) training methods matching the demands of the game every game should matter.

There will be 4k going to Peterborough next week treat those fans right by picking your best team. If you have no intention of doing that give the fans advance notice so they have the choice to make the decision about whether they should give up their money and time to watch a sub par team.

Just an opinion and likely one that many will disagree with which won’t them or me wrong or right but I would love us to try and make a FA Cup final having done it only once in our history.
Peterborough in the Cup on 19:47 - Jan 29 with 3613 viewsLanhoop

No point in guessing on this, we don't know who will be in the squad by next weekend!
Peterborough in the Cup on 20:07 - Jan 29 with 3528 viewsLazyFan

I would rest:
Dykes, Uncle, Wallace, JoJo, Field, Willock and Dickie

Replacing with:
Austin, Kakay, Moses, Dozzell, Ball, Thomas and Sanderson.

That team should still be good enough to beat Posh. Also enables players who have not had a start for a while to actually get some serious mins. Ensuring we have a match-fit squad as we move into the crucial part of the season.

zzzzzzzzzz

Peterborough in the Cup on 20:10 - Jan 29 with 3512 viewsRangersw12

If Morocco lose tomorrow I would start Chair seeing as he hasn't played for a few weeks
Peterborough in the Cup on 20:14 - Jan 29 with 3491 viewsJoolzz

Agree with that
Peterborough in the Cup on 20:14 - Jan 29 with 3491 viewsAshbyR

Warburton tends to go for a strong team in the cup games, keep the winning mentality
Peterborough in the Cup on 22:47 - Jan 29 with 3287 viewsterryb

I trust MW to field a side that he expects to win.

Personally, I want us to win, but not as much as I would like victories at Barnsley & Millwall.
Peterborough in the Cup on 23:18 - Jan 29 with 3210 viewspaulparker

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:39 - Jan 29 by OregonQPR

Pick your strongest team, with rare exceptions, for every game. If you don’t do that for an FA Cup match then why bother entering the tournament it isn’t mandatory.

This nonsense that started with media acceptance and now has such widespread fan acceptance about resting players gets my goat. They get to rest between games and with the advance in sports science, nutrition (not working for Austin) training methods matching the demands of the game every game should matter.

There will be 4k going to Peterborough next week treat those fans right by picking your best team. If you have no intention of doing that give the fans advance notice so they have the choice to make the decision about whether they should give up their money and time to watch a sub par team.

Just an opinion and likely one that many will disagree with which won’t them or me wrong or right but I would love us to try and make a FA Cup final having done it only once in our history.

Great post

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Peterborough in the Cup on 23:31 - Jan 29 with 3157 viewsSharpy36

With being able to use 5 subs in cup games should help with over stretching players, giving us the option to have a strong bench. Also i`m sure i heard/read McCallum was back in training, so possibly a chance to give him some minutes, although might be to early.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Peterborough in the Cup on 23:31 - Jan 29 with 3158 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think he'll try to play Sanderson.

I don't care what competition it is. I'd like us to beat Peterborough.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Peterborough in the Cup on 00:36 - Jan 30 with 3053 viewsGreenbay

Lots of reasons to win this - revenge, keep the winning streak going, 4,000 fans going it's reported, and big money tie in R5.
Some good posts above.
How about these 11 starters (7 changes that started against Reading)
It's still a strong team and a good subs bench if something goes wrong.
Must take into account the big home match v Middlesbrough four days later.
-
Marshall
Dickie, Sanderson, and Barbet (he won't want to miss a match!)
Kakay, Odubajo
Dozzell, Thomas, Ball, and Chair (if back - having hardly played in AFCON) - otherwise Field.
and Charlie up front.

On the bench - we can play 5 of 9 subs allowed in FA Cup?
Walsh
Dunne
McCallum (if fit), Uncle and Wallace - only if desperately required.
Jojo, Amos and Willock (hopefully doesn't come on)
Dykes
As against Reading - if we are winning by 3 goals- lots of subs midway through second half.
Peterborough in the Cup on 00:45 - Jan 30 with 3031 viewsstainrods_elbow

Peterborough in the Cup on 19:39 - Jan 29 by OregonQPR

This! The strange contradiction whereby some fans who like to collude with this kind of thing in the name of some spurious 'wokeness', acknowledging/endorsing the improvments in player welfare since the 1970s/80s in terms of sports science, enhanced diet, better pitches, fewer games (in many cases) etc. etc. then turning round and saying that, at the same time, the poor darlings should still be rested whenever possible and cup games don't count, brings me out in hives. Respect the competition, the fans, and the game itself! Apart from which, how many times have we seen managers 'resting' players because of next Saturday's game only for that to blow up in their faces!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Peterborough in the Cup on 10:17 - Jan 30 with 2788 viewsessextaxiboy

Peterborough in the Cup on 00:45 - Jan 30 by stainrods_elbow

This! The strange contradiction whereby some fans who like to collude with this kind of thing in the name of some spurious 'wokeness', acknowledging/endorsing the improvments in player welfare since the 1970s/80s in terms of sports science, enhanced diet, better pitches, fewer games (in many cases) etc. etc. then turning round and saying that, at the same time, the poor darlings should still be rested whenever possible and cup games don't count, brings me out in hives. Respect the competition, the fans, and the game itself! Apart from which, how many times have we seen managers 'resting' players because of next Saturday's game only for that to blow up in their faces!

Respect the competition ?

Games played over a 5 day period , the draw squeezed in at half time somewhere or just before the Antiques Roadshow , no replays , and worst of all the semis at Wembley.

The FA should respect their own competition .

I would play exactly the team that the medical and fitness guys say suits the rest of our League season , risking no one in the first team unless they need games . We saw what happened to Archer(whilst Marshall is great he is not playing for nothing) and Mackie in the past . A serious injury to Willock or similar could rob us of promotion or a decent transfer fee .
The number of travelling fans is irrelevant IMO , they should know our priorities .

We have a real chance at securing our future , IMO that trumps everything .
Peterborough in the Cup on 11:04 - Jan 30 with 2687 viewsNorthernr

Wallace and Willock perhaps? Either one of them gets injured it's very bad for us. Feels like we've got reasonably good coverage for everybody else.
Peterborough in the Cup on 11:19 - Jan 30 with 2660 viewsParkRoyalR

Peterborough in the Cup on 11:04 - Jan 30 by Northernr

Wallace and Willock perhaps? Either one of them gets injured it's very bad for us. Feels like we've got reasonably good coverage for everybody else.

Yes to resting both, Moses needs game-time and I'd like to see George Thomas play the Willock role as looking sharpest since he's been at the club + Sinclair Armstrong as would be good to have a real pacy forward on the bench for the business end of the season, so let see how he looks at this level v Peterboro.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024