Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane Warne RIP 14:12 - Mar 4 with 5652 viewsaston_hoop

Heart attack, 52 years old. Absolutely shocking

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Shane Warne RIP on 15:14 - Mar 4 with 1665 viewseastside_r

Obviously not old enough to see Clarry Grimmett or Benaud (as a player) but by repute the best of all time and certainly was for me. An absolute genius with the ball in his hand.

Same age as me (gulp.)
[Post edited 4 Mar 2022 15:15]
Shane Warne RIP on 15:18 - Mar 4 with 1632 viewsrobith

Shane Warne RIP on 14:46 - Mar 4 by PlanetHonneywood

Stunned, and so soon after Rod Marsh.

I'm sure we are all recalling 'that' delivery to Gatting. Started somewhere heading for Liverpool, took out his off stump heading for Chester and Gatts hadn't a scooby what had hit him.

Bowled Warnie...

And to prove it wasn't a fluke he did it again to Andrew Strauss in 2005
Shane Warne RIP on 15:26 - Mar 4 with 1595 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Incredibly sad. Superb talent, and great to watch.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shane Warne RIP on 15:28 - Mar 4 with 1580 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Reading through dozens of Fake Condolences Tweets atm from Celebs.

You know the ones:-

1st Line - mention his death for five or six words
2nd Line- work in whatever you're promoting
Hint: as ever, work in "Me" and "I" as much as possible

E.G.

I'm distraught to hear about the death of Sean Warren.
I had him on my hit show only last year, and it can still be downloaded.
I genuinely can't believe another guest (link) is dead.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shane Warne RIP on 15:28 - Mar 4 with 1572 viewslightwaterhoop

Charismatic and brilliant. A terrible loss.

RIP Shane
Shane Warne RIP on 15:49 - Mar 4 with 1466 viewspaulparker

He lived a life
Top bowler and shagger

Also a very, very good pundit

RIP

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Shane Warne RIP on 15:53 - Mar 4 with 1443 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Shane Warne always evokes a memory for me.

On my first Cricket tour with my team we went to Gloucestershire and one of the teams we played was Cirencester CC. Now anyone who has played cricket will know that any team named after their own town is going to be decent. At the time their first team were top of the county league.

We arrived at their ground with pristine mown lawns and a smart clubhouse. On entering the bar area they have pictures on the wall of various teams and events through their history. Including a photograph of Shane Warne stepping out to play in some sort of exhibition match there. Intimidated?

Thankfully Shane wasn’t playing that day but they still had a formidable line up. Our opening bat Fred put up a bit of resistance scoring a 50 but after that it was carnage. They even had 8 players in slips at one stage to give us a chance and try to make a game of it but still, we were thrashed.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Shane Warne RIP on 15:55 - Mar 4 with 1432 viewsdsw2509

I was at all 5 days of the Oval test in 2005 and at times he was playing England all by himself. What a legend. It was a privilege to watch him play.
Login to get fewer ads

Shane Warne RIP on 15:56 - Mar 4 with 1431 viewsLogman

A brilliant cricketer and top sportsman as far as I am concerned. Competed really hard but at the same time understood the rules of sportsmanship. Plus I will never forget his tribute to Richie Benaud. RIP.
Shane Warne RIP on 15:57 - Mar 4 with 1426 viewsDiscodroids

I'm stunned. from the floorboards up.

RIP Shane. Settle in by the light of your new sun.

[Post edited 4 Mar 2022 15:59]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Shane Warne RIP on 16:00 - Mar 4 with 1412 viewsEsox_Lucius

That has genuinely upset me. I was lucky enough to see him play a couple of times and am struggling to believe he has died/ RIP Warney.

The grass is always greener.

Shane Warne RIP on 16:36 - Mar 4 with 1302 viewsMick_S

Shane Warne RIP on 15:57 - Mar 4 by Discodroids

I'm stunned. from the floorboards up.

RIP Shane. Settle in by the light of your new sun.

[Post edited 4 Mar 2022 15:59]

Magnificent. Far, far too young.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Shane Warne RIP on 16:45 - Mar 4 with 1264 viewsMrSheen

I’d have loved to be Shane Warne. What a life.
Shane Warne RIP on 16:52 - Mar 4 with 1224 viewsDamo1962

Really horrible and shocking news. Much as I love QPR, cricket will always be my favourite sport. It was painful to watch him dismantle England's batting for so long, but there was always the grudging admiration that I was watching the greatest bowler I will probably ever see. What a dreadful couple of days for Aussie cricket with passing of another great cricketer and man in Rod Marsh. RIP gentlemen...and thanks for the memories☹️
Shane Warne RIP on 17:16 - Mar 4 with 1162 viewsR_from_afar

Shane Warne RIP on 15:14 - Mar 4 by eastside_r

Obviously not old enough to see Clarry Grimmett or Benaud (as a player) but by repute the best of all time and certainly was for me. An absolute genius with the ball in his hand.

Same age as me (gulp.)
[Post edited 4 Mar 2022 15:15]

I can't find any quotes or video of it but there is a brilliant story about Warne and Ian Healy in a test match in which they were struggling to remove an obdurate batsman. They had a short but conspiratorial chat in full view of the batsman, who promptly got himself out.

They gave the impression that they had come up with some cunning plan to winkle him out but, as they later admitted, they had simply been discussing what they were going to do for dinner. Genius.

I have probably told you before but Barry Richards, the great South African batsman, tells a wonderful story about Benaud. When Richards, as a young, up and coming cricketer, first faced Benaud, the first ball he received pitched halfway down the wicket and, his eyes ligthing up, Richards pulled it for four. The next ball pitched in much the same spot, with the same result: pulled for four. The third delivery was yet another long hop, but before Richards could complete his shot, the ball - a vicious top spinner - had clattered into his stumps.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Shane Warne RIP on 17:22 - Mar 4 with 1142 viewsstowmarketrange

Shane Warne RIP on 17:16 - Mar 4 by R_from_afar

I can't find any quotes or video of it but there is a brilliant story about Warne and Ian Healy in a test match in which they were struggling to remove an obdurate batsman. They had a short but conspiratorial chat in full view of the batsman, who promptly got himself out.

They gave the impression that they had come up with some cunning plan to winkle him out but, as they later admitted, they had simply been discussing what they were going to do for dinner. Genius.

I have probably told you before but Barry Richards, the great South African batsman, tells a wonderful story about Benaud. When Richards, as a young, up and coming cricketer, first faced Benaud, the first ball he received pitched halfway down the wicket and, his eyes ligthing up, Richards pulled it for four. The next ball pitched in much the same spot, with the same result: pulled for four. The third delivery was yet another long hop, but before Richards could complete his shot, the ball - a vicious top spinner - had clattered into his stumps.

I think cricket has to be one of the greatest sports for creating anecdotes and stories.Maybe it’s the long hours spent doing virtually nothing for most of the day means that the players get the chance to interact with each other and the umpires.
Shane Warne RIP on 17:28 - Mar 4 with 1125 viewsLythamR

R.I.P Shane

Out before Tea but what an innings!
Shane Warne RIP on 17:46 - Mar 4 with 1082 viewsted_hendrix

I was in the car this afternoon switched the radio on and I heard Steve Harmison talking on the radio, couldn't make out what or who he was talking about mainly because Steve kept stopping to gather himself as he was obviously heartbroken and was struggling emotionly as was Derek Pringle who was also being interviewed.

Dreadfully sad news, people are calling him a legend and rightly so.

'ball of the century'

RIP.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Shane Warne RIP on 17:48 - Mar 4 with 1077 viewsnix

Brilliant commentator and pundit as well as a superlative and combative player.

RIP Warnie.

We'll miss you.
Shane Warne RIP on 17:49 - Mar 4 with 1076 viewsMrSheen

Shane Warne RIP on 17:16 - Mar 4 by R_from_afar

Wasn’t it Daryll Cullinan who tried to humiliate every bowler he faced, but just couldn’t touch Warne? Drove him crazy, in the end Warne would give him straight balls for the pleasure of watching Cullinan miss them by miles.
Shane Warne RIP on 17:53 - Mar 4 with 1061 viewsMrSheen

Shane Warne RIP on 17:28 - Mar 4 by LythamR

R.I.P Shane

Out before Tea but what an innings!

England 66-7 at stumps (Warne 6-18).
Shane Warne RIP on 18:44 - Mar 4 with 948 viewsdmm

I'm not the world's biggest cricket fan, though do love the occasional day watching it live with some friends.

Reading the posts on here has been really quite moving. It's remarkable just how much an outstanding sportsman like Shane Warne can mean to us. And Shane was without a shadow of a doubt an outstanding sportsman, and from what you've all said a wonderful human being.

RIP Shane.
Shane Warne RIP on 18:52 - Mar 4 with 924 viewsdenhamhoop2

The first wicket for me is the best delivery I ever saw
Shane Warne RIP on 19:07 - Mar 4 with 900 viewsKiwi76

Just waking up to the news here & shocking to have both Marsh & Warne gone in 24hrs.
Given our close relationship with Aussie very few sports people get liked over here but Warne definitely a character that you couldn’t help but like even when he was being a dick.
Bloody sad & definitely one of the greatest cricketers of my lifetime.
Shane Warne RIP on 19:29 - Mar 4 with 845 viewsRs_Holy

RIP Warney… thanks for all the memories. Sport has lost a true legend today!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024