Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heat 23:32 - Jun 16 with 3974 viewsqprxtc

A truly superb film. Two hours and fifty minutes of quality. Twenty seven years old.

Christopher on a tandem.

Don’t waste my mutherfuggen time.

Heat on 00:07 - Jun 17 with 3223 viewsTacticalR

A great film. Loads of great action scenes and memorable dialogue. It was a remake of an earlier TV movie by Mann: L.A. Takedown (1989).

I think the only weakness in the film is Al Pacino. Pacino began as a truly charismatic performer in the 70s (Godfather, Serpico), and has ended up as a crude caricature of himself. By the time of 'Heat' he was already past his sell-by date, but was probably restrained from his usual hamming by Michael Mann and the A-list actors in the film.

A big theme in Mann's movies is the skilled craftsman. This comes across in Heat, The Last of the Mohicans, and most strongly of all in Thief (1981).

Air hostess clique

Heat on 00:48 - Jun 17 with 3175 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Heat on 00:07 - Jun 17 by TacticalR

A great film. Loads of great action scenes and memorable dialogue. It was a remake of an earlier TV movie by Mann: L.A. Takedown (1989).

I think the only weakness in the film is Al Pacino. Pacino began as a truly charismatic performer in the 70s (Godfather, Serpico), and has ended up as a crude caricature of himself. By the time of 'Heat' he was already past his sell-by date, but was probably restrained from his usual hamming by Michael Mann and the A-list actors in the film.

A big theme in Mann's movies is the skilled craftsman. This comes across in Heat, The Last of the Mohicans, and most strongly of all in Thief (1981).

One of my favorite lines of all time by Pacino in Heat when he throws the TV out the window ." You might be fuc*ing my wife but you are not watching my TV " loved it. But he was on his streak of movies shouting his lines angry and it took away from his performance IMO.
One of the best movies ever produced was Manhunter a Michael Mann classic and one of the best performances of William Petersons career .Not a first date movie of course
Heat on 01:00 - Jun 17 with 3171 viewsPunteR

In my top 10. Cops and robbers for grown ups basically but it's such a stylish film. The main bank heist with the gun fight in the street is one of the best shoot outs on film.
I thought Pacino was great in it as was De Niro of course.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Heat on 01:19 - Jun 17 with 3153 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Heat on 07:20 - Jun 17 with 2990 viewsRs_Holy

Heat on 01:00 - Jun 17 by PunteR

In my top 10. Cops and robbers for grown ups basically but it's such a stylish film. The main bank heist with the gun fight in the street is one of the best shoot outs on film.

Yep its in my top 10 too! I love the complexity of the characters... Pacino and De Niro at their pomp!
Heat on 08:53 - Jun 17 with 2876 viewsAntti_Heinola

I was left totally cold by it when it came out, and found the Pacino/De Niro scene in the diner hugely overrated.
Recently went to see Mann's early film Thief with James Caan however, and loved it, so think it's time to give Heat another go.

Bare bones.

Heat on 09:15 - Jun 17 with 2832 viewsbollockchops

never seen it im too busy watching oscar winning classics like this

Heat on 09:35 - Jun 17 with 2783 viewsRs_Holy

Heat on 09:15 - Jun 17 by bollockchops

Holiday on the Buses was excellent but didn't quite reach the heights of Mutiny on the Buses imho. The interaction between Varney, Grant and Lewis is truly magical... amazed it wasn't nominated for an Oscar.
Login to get fewer ads

Heat on 10:02 - Jun 17 with 2730 viewsstevec

Heat on 09:15 - Jun 17 by bollockchops

They don’t make em like that anymore, quality.

Who does the best Blakey impression on here, I’ll start you off… ‘I hate you Butler, ehh’
Heat on 10:15 - Jun 17 with 2720 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Heat on 08:53 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

I was left totally cold by it when it came out, and found the Pacino/De Niro scene in the diner hugely overrated.
Recently went to see Mann's early film Thief with James Caan however, and loved it, so think it's time to give Heat another go.

Agree with all of this.

Watched 'Thief' for the first time only recently. Superb film and acting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Heat on 11:04 - Jun 17 with 2649 viewsRs_Holy

Heat on 10:02 - Jun 17 by stevec

Who does the best Blakey impression on here, I’ll start you off… ‘I hate you Butler, ehh’

surely Connell does the best Blakey impression???
Heat on 11:35 - Jun 17 with 2589 viewsbongo_king

In my top 5, alongside Fight club, Inception, Oldboy (2003 Korean original) and Departed.

Still remember watching it as a teenager in the cinema, the sensory experience of the whole film on the big screen was off the scale, with that intense, immersive shootout being the icing on the cake. Maybe a bit biased but I have not seen a better shootout since (except maybe in S1 of True Detective).
Heat on 13:17 - Jun 17 with 2462 viewsted_hendrix

The restaurant scene with De Niro and Pacino was just superb, two excellent actors acting out a first class script as It should be acted.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Heat on 13:21 - Jun 17 with 2430 viewsMaggsinho

Thought this was going to be a thread about the weather
Heat on 13:27 - Jun 17 with 2414 viewsMonkey_Roots

Heat on 13:17 - Jun 17 by ted_hendrix

The restaurant scene with De Niro and Pacino was just superb, two excellent actors acting out a first class script as It should be acted.

I dunno, maybe I'm the only one a bit let down by Heat - decent film, but could have been so much more IMO.

If you like 2 actors acting their socks off in a scene - true romance with Hopper and Walken talking about Scicilians... it's up there.
Heat on 13:39 - Jun 17 with 2381 viewsPunteR

Heat on 13:27 - Jun 17 by Monkey_Roots

I dunno, maybe I'm the only one a bit let down by Heat - decent film, but could have been so much more IMO.

If you like 2 actors acting their socks off in a scene - true romance with Hopper and Walken talking about Scicilians... it's up there.

Most films with Walken have scenes chewed to bits by top drawer acting. Great shout .
Also King of New York and Pulp Fiction come to mind.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Heat on 13:40 - Jun 17 with 2381 viewsR_from_afar

Heat on 01:19 - Jun 17 by Boston

I first saw "Heat" at the cinema. I'm not sure I breathed once during that shoot-out scene. Awesome stuff.

This is my favourite scene, I rate it one of the cleverest in cinematic history. Absolutely inspired

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Heat on 13:53 - Jun 17 with 2364 viewsR_from_afar

Heat on 10:02 - Jun 17 by stevec

My impressions aren't great but I reckon I can do a passable Butler: "Crikey, it's Blakey, we better hoppit!"

Coming next week from Loft for Words, the website which brought you impressions in text form:
- Monday: Spot the ball on the radio
- Travel games special: Travel Jenga, Travel Buckaroo, and Travel Kerplunk

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Heat on 14:24 - Jun 17 with 2323 viewsAntti_Heinola

Heat on 13:17 - Jun 17 by ted_hendrix

i need to watch it again. I just felt at the time it was a bit self-knowing that scene. 'this is a big scene, we're big actors, it's a big director' - felt very try hard to me, felt both had been far better in other films. Felt tiresome.

Quint telling his story in Jaws was better for a start, and better directed.

Bare bones.

Heat on 16:19 - Jun 17 with 2194 viewsqpr_1968

loved the end scene
the final respects the characters showed for each other
and of course the music

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Heat on 17:06 - Jun 17 with 2161 viewsGroveR

They had ex-SAS bods choreographing it (Andy McNabb allegedly) so Kilmer and De Niro are "pepper-potting" - one is getting rounds off at the police ("poh-leese") while the other is moving or bombing-up (reloading).

They're a bit freer on full-auto than you get taught in the infantry but that's probably a SAS thing too.
Heat on 17:59 - Jun 17 with 2117 viewsJuzzie

I was with a lady friend one evening watching HEAT on TV when the broadcast got interrupted with the news of princess Diana's accident in Paris which the coverage continued on into the night.

Never got to finish the film or my friend.
Heat on 19:43 - Jun 17 with 2071 viewsTripleR

Heat on 13:53 - Jun 17 by R_from_afar

My impressions aren't great but I reckon I can do a passable Butler: "Crikey, it's Blakey, we better hoppit!"

Coming next week from Loft for Words, the website which brought you impressions in text form:
- Monday: Spot the ball on the radio
- Travel games special: Travel Jenga, Travel Buckaroo, and Travel Kerplunk

In the olden days there was a ventriloquist on the radio.
Educating Archie. Archie Andrews was the doll/dummy and Peter Bough was the ventriloquist.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 19:43]
Heat on 21:42 - Jun 17 with 1998 viewsDrewster

Heat on 16:19 - Jun 17 by qpr_1968

loved the end scene
the final respects the characters showed for each other
and of course the music

This film and Apocalypse Now are my top 2.
Heat is a masterpiece. Watched it so many times no still love it.
Been banging on about it to my wife and made her watch it last week. Apparently it’s boring and not enough action and she fell asleep after 30 mins.
Meanwhile she stays awake for Love Island…
Heat on 02:48 - Jun 18 with 1898 viewsMiss_Terraces

Heat on 14:24 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

i need to watch it again. I just felt at the time it was a bit self-knowing that scene. 'this is a big scene, we're big actors, it's a big director' - felt very try hard to me, felt both had been far better in other films. Felt tiresome.

Quint telling his story in Jaws was better for a start, and better directed.

I totally agree with you, this is not an attack at Heat, because it's a very good scene but it has been over hyped because of the actors involved

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024