Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank you, Clive! 00:04 - Jun 17 with 8856 viewsbellomatic

I’m unusual here, in that I started watching football in my forties. I’ve got two boys, now aged 9 and 11. When the eldest was 5, I took him to a QPR match. He was swept away with enthusiasm.

The next season we went to a couple of matches. The season after, a couple more than that.

This season we took the plunge a bought season tickets. We’ve had so much fun following the highs and the lows. Bonding memories that I’ll treasure forever.

I’d like to say thank you to the club. The boys have brilliant fun at the Fanzone: wonderful that QPR puts it on for free. Renaming the stadium Kiyan Prince, and putting on the first-ever women’s match at the ground, show it is an organisation with its heart in the right place.

I’d also like to say thank you to the players. Loads of them have stopped for a selfie or a signature. An absolute highlight of the season was when Ilias Chair borrowed our Morocco flag and then gave us his shirt! Off-the-scale excitement. Also loved Albert’s celebration at Birmingham - what a cracker at the one away match we managed.

Most of all, I’d like to say thank you to Clive. He’s been a huge part of my pleasure of following QPR. A few years ago, as someone who knew next-to-nothing about football, I couldn’t really make head or tail of what happened in a game. There’s just so much going on! I’m sure the regulars on this forum don’t appreciate that watching football is a skill. Clive’s keen eye and brilliant turn of phrase have been an education, helping me gradually get better get a better picture of a match… and enjoying it in review when I didn’t. What a talent.

If you read this site regularly, do contribute to his Patreon. Loft for Words is clearly a labour of love and it benefits us all. Clive is too polite to push it, but he deserves every subscriber.

And here’s to the new season! (Just bought seven season tickets... nephews and kids' friends and kids' friend's grandads are joining the throng.)
[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 19:59]
Thank you, Clive! on 01:21 - Jun 17 with 7306 viewsBoston

The first game is a gateway drug.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thank you, Clive! on 02:18 - Jun 17 with 7249 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Probably the nicest post I’ve ever seen on LfW.

Best wishes to you and your family / friends.
Thank you, Clive! on 05:24 - Jun 17 with 7186 viewsessextaxiboy

It’s a great club to be a part of . Never boring on or off the pitch . True community minded . The best name , best kit .
A London derby under lights at LR is just brilliant . Hopefully you are at the beginning of a family thing that continues through generations . Many of us on here have cherished memories of attending games with people we have lost . If we ever get to a Final again you will be amazed at how many fellow addict there are all over the world . When your boys are older and move out , the fixture list brings you together every couple of weeks to catch up .
Thank you, Clive! on 05:26 - Jun 17 with 7184 viewsenfieldargh

Supporting qpr is part of my way of life. The hard bit is to manage expectations but always ensure you enjoy it and never loose your enthusiasm.

For me Clive is the cement that holds the supporting side together(other forums are available) and helps me see things that I didn’t notice or even think about.

7 season tickets eh?

I make that 7 favourite cheeses we need to know about.

Ok one cheese will do

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Thank you, Clive! on 06:59 - Jun 17 with 7092 viewsdmm

What a wonderful story, bellomatic. Thanks very much for sharing it here. Come back and tell us more about the QPR bellomatic family experiences.
Thank you, Clive! on 09:41 - Jun 17 with 6868 viewsterryb

Welcome to our Queens Park Rangers band of brothers bellomatic. I hope that your ever increasing party have a great time following us this season.

In my 50+ years of supporting I've seen many lows that have affected my feelings on life, but I've also been there for the highs that are impossible to explain to a non footballing person! I wouldn't swop our club for any other (of any denomination) in the world!
Thank you, Clive! on 10:17 - Jun 17 with 6755 viewsfrancisbowles

It's lovely to read such a positive post and that the disappointment at the end of the season form, hasn't stopped your enthusiasm but has even enhanced it.

Look forward to hearing how the season goes for you and your recruits to the cause.

U Rrrrs
Thank you, Clive! on 10:25 - Jun 17 with 6731 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lovely post, bellomatic.

Welcome aboard!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Thank you, Clive! on 10:28 - Jun 17 with 6717 viewsloftboy

Lovely post but you forgot the golden rule!!!

Favourite cheese?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Thank you, Clive! on 12:06 - Jun 17 with 6552 viewsthehat

Love this post and yes we are very lucky to have this site and Clive's writing.
Thank you, Clive! on 12:13 - Jun 17 with 6528 viewsbellomatic

Thanks for all the lovely responses.

I have actually posted a couple of times before (e.g. on the time our family came into possession of Barbet's turban), so I didn't think to mention cheese preferences.

But you are right, I should have included cheese information. I'm currently compiling a full list for all 7 of us. Will revert back shortly.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 12:14]
Thank you, Clive! on 12:38 - Jun 17 with 6444 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thank you, Clive! on 12:13 - Jun 17 by bellomatic

Thanks for all the lovely responses.

I have actually posted a couple of times before (e.g. on the time our family came into possession of Barbet's turban), so I didn't think to mention cheese preferences.

But you are right, I should have included cheese information. I'm currently compiling a full list for all 7 of us. Will revert back shortly.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2022 12:14]

It’s never too late to share your favourite cheeses!

I’m guessing that one of them will be babybellomatic?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Thank you, Clive! on 12:55 - Jun 17 with 6358 viewslosethedrum

Nice post Bello .
wow you bought 7 season tickets that should just double the home gate from now on then

Thank you, Clive! on 12:59 - Jun 17 with 6340 viewsnix

Heartwarming post. Agree with all of it.
Thank you, Clive! on 13:46 - Jun 17 with 6196 viewsMrSheen

Lovely post and congratulations for lowering the average supporter age by a few years!

It’s a weird feeling when you notice you’ve started referring to the players as “we” instead of “they”…
Thank you, Clive! on 15:58 - Jun 18 with 5820 viewsbellomatic

Thank you, Clive! on 05:26 - Jun 17 by enfieldargh

Supporting qpr is part of my way of life. The hard bit is to manage expectations but always ensure you enjoy it and never loose your enthusiasm.

For me Clive is the cement that holds the supporting side together(other forums are available) and helps me see things that I didn’t notice or even think about.

7 season tickets eh?

I make that 7 favourite cheeses we need to know about.

Ok one cheese will do

New season ticket holders' favourite cheeses

Me - Leerdammer (uncultured, I know)
11-year-old son - Cheddar
9-year-old - Parmesan
Nephew - Camembert
11-year-old son's friend - Mozzarella
9-year-old son's friend - Camembert
9-year-old son's friend grandad - possibly Cheddar, although language difficulties mean low confidence this is correct.
Thank you, Clive! (n/t) on 17:09 - Jun 18 with 5742 viewsBenSummer

Great to hear! I only found a love for football in my late teens - which isn't my 40s but still felt later than most of my friends. glad you found QPR as well and totally echo what you've said about Clive's writing
[Post edited 18 Jun 2022 17:10]
Thank you, Clive! on 17:42 - Jun 18 with 5655 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Thank you, Clive! on 15:58 - Jun 18 by bellomatic

New season ticket holders' favourite cheeses

Me - Leerdammer (uncultured, I know)
11-year-old son - Cheddar
9-year-old - Parmesan
Nephew - Camembert
11-year-old son's friend - Mozzarella
9-year-old son's friend - Camembert
9-year-old son's friend grandad - possibly Cheddar, although language difficulties mean low confidence this is correct.

I read elsewhere on this forum that the Yoot of today are the worst yet.

It must be all the Camembert they eat!
Thank you, Clive! on 20:15 - Oct 26 with 3943 viewsbellomatic

Thank you, Clive! on 06:59 - Jun 17 by dmm

What a wonderful story, bellomatic. Thanks very much for sharing it here. Come back and tell us more about the QPR bellomatic family experiences.

I thought I might just catch you up with some 'bellomatic family experiences' in the midst of this diabolical run.

If you think it's bad for us adults, imagine what it is like for the 10 year old who has only seen one win in a year - that's a lifetime! Or for the 13 year old who missed the Watford game. They really can't imagine anything but QPR losing.

Here's how it is panning out:

Coventry - the kids mounted a mini-rebellion saying why do we always lose and why do we support QPR and, horror of horrors, can we support Arsenal. I had a 'good feeling' and managed to drag them along. That worked out well.

Blackburn - something snapped in me in the week before the game. I couldn't face another loss. However, this created some reverse psychology effect on the kids, who became v keen.

WBA - I couldn't face this, although the kids wanted to go as a half term treat. Went to Park Royal Ten Pin instead. Glad about that decision.

Leicester - kids are deliriously excited about the prospect of being destroyed by Jamie Vardy. Not sure what is going on here, psychologically speaking, but at least they are keen to go, I guess.
Thank you, Clive! on 21:26 - Oct 26 with 3723 viewstkqpr

Thank you, Clive! on 20:15 - Oct 26 by bellomatic

I thought I might just catch you up with some 'bellomatic family experiences' in the midst of this diabolical run.

If you think it's bad for us adults, imagine what it is like for the 10 year old who has only seen one win in a year - that's a lifetime! Or for the 13 year old who missed the Watford game. They really can't imagine anything but QPR losing.

Coventry - the kids mounted a mini-rebellion saying why do we always lose and why do we support QPR and, horror of horrors, can we support Arsenal. I had a 'good feeling' and managed to drag them along. That worked out well.

Blackburn - something snapped in me in the week before the game. I couldn't face another loss. However, this created some reverse psychology effect on the kids, who became v keen.

WBA - I couldn't face this, although the kids wanted to go as a half term treat. Went to Park Royal Ten Pin instead. Glad about that decision.

Leicester - kids are deliriously excited about the prospect of being destroyed by Jamie Vardy. Not sure what is going on here, psychologically speaking, but at least they are keen to go, I guess.

They could see history being made?

QPR’s biggest loss at home 😁
Thank you, Clive! on 21:40 - Oct 26 with 3678 viewsLongsufferingR

Thank you, Clive! on 20:15 - Oct 26 by bellomatic

That resonates here Bello. My 12 year old is surrounded by "top 6" supporters at school but loved coming to his first game (0-2 v Pompey in League Cup), and was absolutely hooked the moment the 3rd went in at Reading to salvage a point. This is his first as a ST holder and I can't get over how desperate he is to go to every game. When I said he didn't have to come to Leicester if he was getting upset at losing every week, he said he can't wait to see us up against the best team in the League whatever the result. He's seen so much disappointment in the games he's been to but he's got the bug good and proper and has already convinced himself that League 1 will be a lot of fun. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Thank you, Clive! on 21:55 - Oct 26 with 3625 viewsbellomatic

Thank you, Clive! on 21:40 - Oct 26 by LongsufferingR

That resonates here Bello. My 12 year old is surrounded by "top 6" supporters at school but loved coming to his first game (0-2 v Pompey in League Cup), and was absolutely hooked the moment the 3rd went in at Reading to salvage a point. This is his first as a ST holder and I can't get over how desperate he is to go to every game. When I said he didn't have to come to Leicester if he was getting upset at losing every week, he said he can't wait to see us up against the best team in the League whatever the result. He's seen so much disappointment in the games he's been to but he's got the bug good and proper and has already convinced himself that League 1 will be a lot of fun. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"I don't know whether to laugh or cry." - exactly my feelings!
Thank you, Clive! on 23:44 - Oct 26 with 3451 viewsnumptydumpty

Lovely post Bellomatic

Yes Clive does a grand job and hopefully most regulars contribute to the Patreon.

At the moment, I think the forum is doubling up as a platform to allow the ranters and ravers to get all the frustrations of life out of their systems, thereby creating a double edged service.

I am not sure whether I am delighted for you that you have found Rangers late in life, being the ultimate stress bucket that the club consistently proves to be, but as they say, it keeps us all out of mischief !!

Hope your boys resist the temptations of the dark side and remain with the super hoops.

I would say, enjoy, but perhaps not quite the correct term as it is today !!

Welcome to the madhouse indeed !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Thank you, Clive! on 00:36 - Oct 27 with 3374 viewsKonk

I love these posts - good man. You’re doing something great for your kids - character building and shared memories. QPR will have good days again and they’ll be all the sweeter for the current state of things.

I’m a Fulham fan (no major trophy in 144 years) bringing my son up to support his local team, as a season ticket holder at Bristol City (no major trophy in 129 years). He already gets that a home win against Rotherham means more to him than a CL win will mean to his Man City armchair classmates. He loves the day out with his mates/neighbours/Dad, the fact that most people round our way support his club, and that we can see the ground from our street. If we’re lucky, most of us get to watch our team having a few great seasons at whatever level, during our lives, and it’s the idea that your club needs you and that you might just make the play-offs if you go on an 18 game unbeaten run, that keeps most of us going. Stick with it - you’ve chosen a good club.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Thank you, Clive! on 03:52 - Oct 27 with 3301 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Fantastic post Bello. Thank you Clive again. Your writeups are gloriously unique, uplifting (regardless if it has to describe another dire performance) and my staple diet in a week.

DonnieR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024