Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Contract for Martin. 09:41 - Apr 23 with 18610 viewsPaddyhoops

Think he’s done really well for us since coming in .
He’s not particularly mobile but he’s a canny operator and he’s chipped in with with a few goals since he’s come here.
He’s attitude is first class . Worth an another season … possibly.
Contract for Martin. on 12:26 - Apr 25 with 3334 viewsWokingR

Just checking back in for an update on this thread to see if Clive has made his mind up yet, or is he still 'on the fence '?
Contract for Martin. on 21:22 - Apr 25 with 3086 viewsdavman

Contract for Martin. on 00:17 - Apr 25 by Northernr

Come on mate. He can't move about. He's done his job. If you give him another year you are mental. Mental. And we'll go down.

Not sure I would tbf and not sure that post suggested that. All it said was that he was no worse that Saint Charlie would be in my view...

(...and by the way I think that we'll be going down next season anyway with or without Coldplay's finest - can't see any possible alternative outcome).

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Contract for Martin. on 21:34 - Apr 25 with 3074 viewsibnumber10

Is Remy available?
Contract for Martin. on 21:36 - Apr 25 with 3065 viewsQPR_Jim

Contract for Martin. on 11:53 - Apr 25 by robith

Things QPR fans are weirdly into, that no other club is that fussed about

- Giving ex players with no coaching experience very specific coaching roles because they were good at passing or something
- Signing older players to do a job, then giving them a contract far beyond that job
- Pay as you play contracts

Good list but you missed off excavation.

We can close the thread now, I've run the simulations (Football Manager 2022*) and we need to keep him for 2 more seasons #goalmachine

*This may be closer to our recruitment strategy than we may think.
Contract for Martin. on 22:13 - Apr 25 with 3023 viewsWestonsuperR

Contract for Martin. on 08:51 - Apr 25 by gazza1

The fact is we would be down if Martin had not scored the goals he has....that is fact.

The fact is we will never know as different player would have played instead and therefore a totally different match, who is to say that player wouldn’t have scored more than Martin, set some up or even made a defensive clearance. Crazy argument to suggest one players goals have saved us.
Contract for Martin. on 23:35 - Apr 25 with 2932 viewsBurnleyhoop

Contract for Martin. on 22:13 - Apr 25 by WestonsuperR

The fact is we will never know as different player would have played instead and therefore a totally different match, who is to say that player wouldn’t have scored more than Martin, set some up or even made a defensive clearance. Crazy argument to suggest one players goals have saved us.

How many goals have Dozzell, Amos, Johansen, Armstrong, Bonne, contributed individually or even collectively this season?

Martin may be 35 and built like a plumber with a serious case of gout, but he has shown more footballing nouse than that lot put together.

He may not be the answer, but I can’t wait to see which “rough diamond” we come up with next that hasn’t a f*ckng clue what they are doing.
Contract for Martin. on 23:57 - Apr 25 with 2901 viewsdaveB

Contract for Martin. on 23:27 - Apr 24 by davman

Really don't agree with you there, dave - Martin has been head and shoulders above what Austin gave us last year.

Despite everyone saying how big his arse is, he's been far more mobile than Saint Charlie was and would be this season.

But 36 is getting on a bit, isn't it?

Come on really, Martin has been pretty rubbish most of the time but scored 2 important goals. Not knocking him he's done the job he was brought in for but head and shoulders above Austin? Neither were particularly good or mobile but both managed to still score a few goals.
Contract for Martin. on 09:35 - Apr 26 with 2769 viewsMelakaRanger

I'd offer him a 1 year pay as you play deal with maybe a guaranteed £2k per week.

He's a bit like Chaz. Past it but capable of some cameos when we need an old head playing. His few goals this past month have been crucial to our survival. We might just need a similar 'few goals' next year.

1 year on a very low basic then fine but no way if we have to pay a guaranteed £5-£10 K a week
Login to get fewer ads

Contract for Martin. on 17:36 - Apr 26 with 2604 viewsPinnerPaul

Contract for Martin. on 09:17 - Apr 25 by ted_hendrix

44 games played so far and we've scored 43 goals, only Wigan Huddersfield and Cardiff have scored fewer goals.
Work It out from there.

Indeed and how many of those games were when Martin wasn't here - as you say work it out!
Contract for Martin. on 17:44 - Apr 26 with 2573 viewsdaveB

Contract for Martin. on 17:36 - Apr 26 by PinnerPaul

Indeed and how many of those games were when Martin wasn't here - as you say work it out!

In the 11 games hes started the team have scored 8 goals
Contract for Martin. on 19:40 - Apr 26 with 2504 viewsdavman

Contract for Martin. on 23:57 - Apr 25 by daveB

Come on really, Martin has been pretty rubbish most of the time but scored 2 important goals. Not knocking him he's done the job he was brought in for but head and shoulders above Austin? Neither were particularly good or mobile but both managed to still score a few goals.

It's opinions. At least Martin looks like he can last 90 minutes; Austin rarely made it to half time blowing out of his 'arris before the inevitable yellow card or stomp off.

Far, far prefer Martin even though he should be on his way this summer.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Contract for Martin. on 20:05 - Apr 26 with 2473 viewsPunteR

C'mon lads, we've all had a drink.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Contract for Martin. on 20:05 - Apr 26 with 2474 viewsLogman

Martin has been a good short term signing. His know-how and presence were what we needed. However, I am hopeful that we will be able to afford a younger quicker replacement. If we can stay up then I am sure we can get one in and spend any money that we have on that. I reckon GA will know some good lower League players who we can get for free and not on extortionate wages to fill the 4 or so gaps that are going to appear at right back, wide and up front.
Contract for Martin. on 23:51 - Apr 26 with 2339 viewsBurnleyhoop

Contract for Martin. on 20:05 - Apr 26 by Logman

Martin has been a good short term signing. His know-how and presence were what we needed. However, I am hopeful that we will be able to afford a younger quicker replacement. If we can stay up then I am sure we can get one in and spend any money that we have on that. I reckon GA will know some good lower League players who we can get for free and not on extortionate wages to fill the 4 or so gaps that are going to appear at right back, wide and up front.

Gaps??

I think we’re looking into a galactic black hole come the summer.

There’s only likely to be 5/6 players left of this squad after the season ends, especially if we sell the family jewels.
Contract for Martin. on 08:31 - Apr 27 with 2190 viewshertshoops

It's his leadership and game smarts he's here for

The fact that Martin was made captain after being at the club for 5 minutes showed up the lack of leadership from Johansen (who I hope will leave this summer)
I like his belligerent attitude, and as a team I think we're becoming less introverted and more of a 'sh@thousing' team when we need to
He's obviously not the 20+ a season mobile striker we all would love anymore, but I think the team overall (including the snowflakes) is better with him than without. His influence on Armstrong could be important next season

Alternatively GA might have player(s) from L1 in mind to replace that leadership - who knows

Wary of getting burnt again though, maybe we could do some sort of 'pay as you play' deal allied with coaching ?
Contract for Martin. on 09:48 - Apr 27 with 2106 viewsTheChef

Contract for Martin. on 20:05 - Apr 26 by Logman

Thing is any L1/L2 striker doing well will be on the radar of all the Championship clubs, and the problem is when it comes down to wages we get blown out the water; regardless of whether we're seen as a more worthwhile club than others - pathway, development, blah blah blah. Unless of course the playing field is becoming more level.

Aaron Collins at Bristol Rovers, for example. Doubt we'll even get a sniff.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2023/april/collins-named-poty/#:~:text=Bris

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Contract for Martin. on 18:17 - Apr 28 with 1905 viewsE17hoop

Wait, what?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-hints-at-possible-new-deal-for-qpr

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Contract for Martin. on 18:19 - Apr 28 with 1900 viewsNorthernr

Contract for Martin. on 18:17 - Apr 28 by E17hoop

Wait, what?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-hints-at-possible-new-deal-for-qpr

Honestly, fck it, I'm going to take up smoking. Get this over with quicker.
Contract for Martin. on 18:22 - Apr 28 with 1876 viewsaston_hoop

Oh we'll definitely keep him on, Ainsworth loves him. You don't make a bloke captain then release him. 4 goals in 28 games this time next year and we'll all be angry about it I'm sure.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Contract for Martin. on 18:26 - Apr 28 with 1845 viewsWatfordR

Contract for Martin. on 18:19 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Honestly, fck it, I'm going to take up smoking. Get this over with quicker.

Look, it's either this or Akinfenwa.

If Ainsworth stays, we'd best get used to this sort of signing.
Contract for Martin. on 18:34 - Apr 28 with 1802 viewsBrianWilson

Contract for Martin. on 18:26 - Apr 28 by WatfordR

Look, it's either this or Akinfenwa.

If Ainsworth stays, we'd best get used to this sort of signing.

If we stay up, I can't see Ainsworth staying past November. Gonna be a hard watch whatever league we are in.

Nothing against Martin as he has done OK. Fine for Lge 1.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Contract for Martin. on 18:38 - Apr 28 with 1791 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Contract for Martin. on 18:17 - Apr 28 by E17hoop

Wait, what?

And to think couldn't get more depressed about QPR.
Contract for Martin. on 18:42 - Apr 28 with 1767 viewsPindarus

I would be happy if our forward choices next season were Dykes, Kelman, Lowe and Armstrong. Gives us all sorts of options We need pace up front, not slow motion.
Contract for Martin. on 18:43 - Apr 28 with 1762 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It's not a surprise, though, is it.

Either he wants to keep on his captain or he's going to say that he is. He can hardly say "nah, we're going to bin him".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Contract for Martin. on 19:06 - Apr 28 with 1680 viewsGloucs_R

Contract for Martin. on 18:42 - Apr 28 by Pindarus

I would be happy if our forward choices next season were Dykes, Kelman, Lowe and Armstrong. Gives us all sorts of options We need pace up front, not slow motion.

Lowe? Do you mean Richards?

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024