Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts post Birmingham 10:22 - Mar 30 with 7758 viewshopekillsyou

Looking at our record since Marti took over, If we average points per game, it’s 35 over 25 games or 1.4 points per game.
On that basis we would have 54.6 points ( rather than 43) after 39 games which would make us 10th ( where Middlesbrough currently sit…) and long shots for the playoffs.
So ( deep breath…) assuming we are now going to be safe this season ( I think we need 53 points to be absolutely sure and if we maintain the current points per game ratio we should get there) we only need marginal changes to the squad to become a promotion chasing side.
Impressed by Bacuna yesterday - he stood out in an otherwise poor Birmingham side. Good role model for Armstrong who was surprisingly disappointing ( well…apart from playing a part in setting up THAT goal…)
Should Marti play Anderson, Chair and Willpck together - all players who want a lot of the ball? I’m not sure. I guess a good problem for a manager to have.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 10:27 - Mar 30 with 4543 viewspaulparker

Marti has done well but I wasn’t that impressed with us yesterday bar the goal I thought we lacked intensity and composure and we couldn’t of moaned if that game finished 1-1
What I will say with Marti is he has us set up not to concede and we do look a hell of lot more organised in defence and midfield, one thing I do hope is that we start doing something with corners as they are quite poor and have been for sometime
Also plus points for ditching Dozzell & Kakay though

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Thoughts post Birmingham on 10:59 - Mar 30 with 4377 viewshopekillsyou

I agree that we were a bit disappointing yesterday ( but that partly is a result of higher expectations).
We are definitely much better now in roles, shape and anticipation when not in possession, but too ponderous, too slow, sometimes in the transition Away from home against over committed sides, breaking through probably easier than at home. I’d like to see Hodge get more time
Although he can’t really be blamed for Bacunas goal, Begovic is becoming a serious liability and does not radiate confidence and that can be catching.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:01 - Mar 30 with 4364 viewsNorthernr

Thoughts post Birmingham on 10:27 - Mar 30 by paulparker

Marti has done well but I wasn’t that impressed with us yesterday bar the goal I thought we lacked intensity and composure and we couldn’t of moaned if that game finished 1-1
What I will say with Marti is he has us set up not to concede and we do look a hell of lot more organised in defence and midfield, one thing I do hope is that we start doing something with corners as they are quite poor and have been for sometime
Also plus points for ditching Dozzell & Kakay though

It's always going to be a struggle with the squad the way it is - difficult to win football matches when your goalkeeper and your strikers are both crap. That considered, I think the turn around has been amazing. It's some managerial job to takeover a team eight points adrift with no strikers and no goalkeeper and lead it up the table regardless. V excited about what this guy might be able to do with a full run at next season.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:13 - Mar 30 with 4279 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:01 - Mar 30 by Northernr

It's always going to be a struggle with the squad the way it is - difficult to win football matches when your goalkeeper and your strikers are both crap. That considered, I think the turn around has been amazing. It's some managerial job to takeover a team eight points adrift with no strikers and no goalkeeper and lead it up the table regardless. V excited about what this guy might be able to do with a full run at next season.

Totally agree. This squad was always going to struggle, but having a decent coach has been the difference, not the players.
A few cleared out in the summer, a few of Martis players in, a full post and pre season and next season could be very interesting.
A new spine to the team is crucial, goalie, midfield and striker.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:28 - Mar 30 with 4188 viewsHastings_Hoops

I’d be more interested in his points per game since January transfers when he had chance to tinker albeit very slightly with the squad… last ten matches has is 7th in the form table.
[Post edited 30 Mar 11:31]
Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:34 - Mar 30 with 4142 viewsBlackCrowe

Think the OP mild criticism of Armstrong is a bit harsh tbf. He was v involved in the build up to Jimmy's orgasm and his strength and ball management in their corner in the last few minutes was superb.
[Post edited 30 Mar 11:45]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:39 - Mar 30 with 4115 viewsCamberleyR

I think the points needed to stay up is going to be a lot less than people were thinking a few weeks ago. IMO it won't be as many as 53. That would need Sheff Weds, Huddersfield and Birmingham all to get 14 points from the last 7 games, i.e automatic promotion form. It isn't going to happen.

Over the last 8 games, the form table shows that SW, Hudds and Brum have gained: 13, 8 and 4 respectively. Plymouth have 4, Blackburn 6.

I think it will be 47-48 so two more wins should definitely see us over the line.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:42 - Mar 30 with 4078 viewsted_hendrix

I thought both teams were very edgy but with what was at stake I suppose that was always gonna be the case.
When we hit the crossbar In the first half I thought oh no here we go.
All things considered we could have gone In at half time 2 maybe 3 goals to the good.
Big thing for me though was we didn't let our heads drop after going behind, not saying we burgled the win but we were due a win at home, not a game for the purists but I'll take those two goals we scored celebrations yesterday all day long or until the cows come home.
Gonna make another point, Armstrong had his shirt pulled relentlessly after he came on without zero protection from the ref, must be brutally frustrating for the bloke.
Great drive home In the car.
We don't do normal.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:51 - Mar 30 with 3997 viewsCamberleyR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:28 - Mar 30 by Hastings_Hoops

I’d be more interested in his points per game since January transfers when he had chance to tinker albeit very slightly with the squad… last ten matches has is 7th in the form table.
[Post edited 30 Mar 11:31]

From the Blackburn game which was the first after the window 'slammed shut' ©Sky Sports, we have obtained 18 points from 10 games.

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:53 - Mar 30 with 3970 viewsPaddyhoops

Expecting a few changes in midfield and up front for Monday .
We weren’t great yesterday. Anderson was a little bit off he’s usual standard . Willock was average and Frey who worked hard, looks ponderous.
That said , a glorious finish and for effort, everybody gets an 8.
I’m still buzzing after yesterday. A couple of days off before long trip to Swansea.
Onwards and upwards.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:54 - Mar 30 with 3966 viewsHarbour

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:39 - Mar 30 by CamberleyR

I think the points needed to stay up is going to be a lot less than people were thinking a few weeks ago. IMO it won't be as many as 53. That would need Sheff Weds, Huddersfield and Birmingham all to get 14 points from the last 7 games, i.e automatic promotion form. It isn't going to happen.

Over the last 8 games, the form table shows that SW, Hudds and Brum have gained: 13, 8 and 4 respectively. Plymouth have 4, Blackburn 6.

I think it will be 47-48 so two more wins should definitely see us over the line.

Hope you are right our run in is still tough ..Leeds Preston Hull and Coventry hard games might get 3-5 points tops. Swansea Sheff wed and Plymouth looks better odds on getting 6 points. I think the gap of 4 points makes you feel you are safe but we not quite yet. I think Sheff wed and Huddersfield could survive Brum and Blackburn look in trouble..Makes for interesting end to the season.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:01 - Mar 30 with 3924 viewsSK_hoops

Birmingham remind me of us post Beale last season. Not looking good. Oh and guess what? Sanderson and Roberts were utter rubbish. Laird not much better. What was their recruitment thinking? Doubt Dozzell has done much either.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:02 - Mar 30 with 3921 viewssilverbirch

I thought Brum made strange decisions at 1-1. They needed a win more than we did, were playing at a ground where the home team regularly loses. They looked just as likely to win it as we did, if not more so. But they wasted time and replaced the best player on the pitch, who had already scored, with a more defensive player.
If that was our new manager, I’d be worried.
[Post edited 30 Mar 12:03]
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:03 - Mar 30 with 3909 viewsNorthernr

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:02 - Mar 30 by silverbirch

I thought Brum made strange decisions at 1-1. They needed a win more than we did, were playing at a ground where the home team regularly loses. They looked just as likely to win it as we did, if not more so. But they wasted time and replaced the best player on the pitch, who had already scored, with a more defensive player.
If that was our new manager, I’d be worried.
[Post edited 30 Mar 12:03]

We said this too. Nothing more Rowett than wasting time to protect a draw while you're fourth bottom of the league and playing a team a point and a place just above you.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:04 - Mar 30 with 3880 viewsstevec

Marti has done a fantastic job turning this side round.

If we manage to stay up I think he could hit a wall if we don’t find a way to play through the middle next season. Everything still goes wide and it becomes predictable and relatively easy to defend against.

So much more organised now which is half the battle but we need a spark.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:10 - Mar 30 with 3853 viewsdannyblue

I want to call out one incredible bit of play I haven't seen mentioned. JCS second half. Stansfield ahead of him and free on their right. Not only did JCS catch up with him, he tackled him in the box, left him on the floor (took him a minute to get up because it was so soul destroying), and then strode away with the ball. Masterful.

Oh and we weren't disappointing. Finally we were creating lots of chances. Haven't seen our XG, but two of Chair's header (amazing save), Anderson top of the bar, Willock poor volley over go in on another day and we've got a 3 or 4-1.
[Post edited 30 Mar 12:12]
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:12 - Mar 30 with 3822 viewsCamberleyR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:03 - Mar 30 by Northernr

We said this too. Nothing more Rowett than wasting time to protect a draw while you're fourth bottom of the league and playing a team a point and a place just above you.

This is why when he had been linked with us previously I never thought he would be a good fit for us, too safety first and not adventurous enough. Hasselbaink Mk II.

Yes he might stabilise you and get a team a bit more organised but he's never going to get a team promoted from the Championship.

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:15 - Mar 30 with 3786 viewsPaddyhoops

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:54 - Mar 30 by Harbour

Hope you are right our run in is still tough ..Leeds Preston Hull and Coventry hard games might get 3-5 points tops. Swansea Sheff wed and Plymouth looks better odds on getting 6 points. I think the gap of 4 points makes you feel you are safe but we not quite yet. I think Sheff wed and Huddersfield could survive Brum and Blackburn look in trouble..Makes for interesting end to the season.

I think Hull and Preston are big opportunities. The are a game away from on the beach territory.
We’ll be competitive in every game going on the last few games. I think we’ll get those couple of wins and a point here and there.
We are the hunted now rather than the hunters. I expect us to get there though.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:30 - Mar 30 with 3656 viewskensalriser

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:39 - Mar 30 by CamberleyR

53 will be comfortable but it only takes one of those teams to get to 53 to make that the minimum, providing everyone else above does at least the same. Not going to happen though, none of them will get over 50.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:33 - Mar 30 with 3635 views100percent

Yesterday's game was always going to be a very tense affair.
Brum coming into the game with a new manager - all be it a very organised and defence minded coach - they looked more offensive than I had expected.
both teams were desperate for the points and totally aware of the psychological impact of winning - which is where Marti and the team were winners. heads never went down and we persevered. Wasn't our best performance but we carried on fighting right until the end. Marti has instilled a winning mentality and the players have finally begun to believe.
Stay up and get the additional players we need - strikers and keeper - and we will push for play offs next year.
Marti has been exceptional in pulling a song out of this team....
Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:49 - Mar 30 with 3507 viewsAndybrat

Thoughts post Birmingham on 11:42 - Mar 30 by ted_hendrix

I thought both teams were very edgy but with what was at stake I suppose that was always gonna be the case.
When we hit the crossbar In the first half I thought oh no here we go.
All things considered we could have gone In at half time 2 maybe 3 goals to the good.
Big thing for me though was we didn't let our heads drop after going behind, not saying we burgled the win but we were due a win at home, not a game for the purists but I'll take those two goals we scored celebrations yesterday all day long or until the cows come home.
Gonna make another point, Armstrong had his shirt pulled relentlessly after he came on without zero protection from the ref, must be brutally frustrating for the bloke.
Great drive home In the car.
We don't do normal.

Spot on we are creating chances, you would think players of the quality of Illy, Willy and Anderson would have got one of those away. Playing one up front you need the goals from the 3 behind, actually think they will come.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:21 - Mar 30 with 3367 viewsRanger_1969

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:10 - Mar 30 by dannyblue

I want to call out one incredible bit of play I haven't seen mentioned. JCS second half. Stansfield ahead of him and free on their right. Not only did JCS catch up with him, he tackled him in the box, left him on the floor (took him a minute to get up because it was so soul destroying), and then strode away with the ball. Masterful.

Oh and we weren't disappointing. Finally we were creating lots of chances. Haven't seen our XG, but two of Chair's header (amazing save), Anderson top of the bar, Willock poor volley over go in on another day and we've got a 3 or 4-1.

Agree. Jimmy might have scored the goal of the season yesterday, but that challenge by JCS may well be the tackle of the season!
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:28 - Mar 30 with 3116 viewssaxbend

I wasn't impressed with any of Birmingham's players. I thought the whole team was dreadful. Maybe Paik and Ruddy might make our bench. Bacuna scored with a great finish but he was a Hoilettesque possession sink for most of the game.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:55 - Mar 30 with 3017 viewsnix

Thoughts post Birmingham on 12:10 - Mar 30 by dannyblue

We absolutely gasped at that! Outstanding. Great shout.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 15:15 - Mar 30 with 2938 viewsBenny_the_Ball

QPR were a little more agricultural in their approach then of late (partly due to Birmingham's set-up) but nonetheless created enough excellent chances to merit the win. I counted at least 3 shots blazed over the bar from close range by players I would typically expect to at least hit the target (Anderson, Willock, and Chair). In addition, Anderson hit the bar, Ruddy saved well from a Chair header, and Field had a presentable opportunity blocked.

As Marti said, when you miss so many clear chances football has a tendency to punish you, and so it proved when moments after Chair's miss, Bacuna opened the scoring with a smartly taken strike. Mentality now was key. A pre-Cifuentes team would've crumbled at this point but Marti has instilled some mental strength in his side. The team (and supporters) reacted extremely well to going behind and Cook quickly restored parity. Now Jimmy will obviously get the plaudits for his stunning goal but for me equalising promptly was key. Had Birmingham retained their lead for another 10 minutes, the natives may have become restless and QPR more desperate in its approach. As it is, once QPR equalised, the momentum shifted and Rowett decided to do what Rowett does best - protect the draw. A strange decision I thought because the game was still very much in the balance and Birmingham need wins. Conversely, QPR went looking for that win and it belatedly arrived with Dunne's glorious volley. Even Jimmy's teammates were stunned by that strike. Anderson almost added a third before QPR comfortably managed the rest of the game.

It wasn't a vintage performance by any stretch of the imagination, but in a strange way I was impressed by the team's ability to solve the puzzles and find other ways of creating opportunities. Given the number of chances created and the reaction of the team to going behind, I thought, on balance, QPR were deserved winners.
[Post edited 30 Mar 15:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024