Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marti Cifuentes 16:28 - Mar 30 with 4668 viewsT_Block

Felt Rowatt out thought him yesterday .This team is tough and can cope with going one down BUT he expected Birmingham to go for a low block and hit us on the break.They didn’t. -so our high press/high line plus A medium paced forward line did not quite work.

Obvious for last 15 of first half and until Armstrong came on the second half.

Would like to know Marti’s thoughts

I wonder if we could afford Bacuna’s wages

Still still think he looks a good manager.

For me best since-middle 90’s,perhaps since Venables.
Marti Cifuentes on 16:37 - Mar 30 with 3760 viewsdmm

I can't agree with you. For example, as has been repeatedly pointed out, had we taken our first half chances we'd have been 3-0 up at HT.

You may be right about Rowett playing a bit more expansively than expected, but whatever the case, the line up would have been much the same.

I certainly didn't see any evidence to suggest Cifuentes was out thought.
Marti Cifuentes on 16:42 - Mar 30 with 3728 viewsT_Block

For me Rowatt won the tactical part of the game,it was only the fight and a bit of luck that bravery occasionally gets you got us the win.Agree chances were created,but was Chairs chance really going to score?-then remember the break away chance that Birmingham had.
Marti Cifuentes on 16:47 - Mar 30 with 3669 viewsgazza1

If we take our chances we win comfortably......if that makes Rowett 'out thought' MC tactically then sobeit - it is not my opinion.
Marti Cifuentes on 16:49 - Mar 30 with 3668 viewsAntti_Heinola

Marti Cifuentes on 16:42 - Mar 30 by T_Block

For me Rowatt won the tactical part of the game,it was only the fight and a bit of luck that bravery occasionally gets you got us the win.Agree chances were created,but was Chairs chance really going to score?-then remember the break away chance that Birmingham had.

I mean, he definitely didn’t.

Bare bones.

Marti Cifuentes on 17:16 - Mar 30 with 3484 viewsdavman

Marti Cifuentes on 16:42 - Mar 30 by T_Block

Partly agree. We lost the midfield battle for about 20-30 minutes in that first half. Their midfield went largely unchecked for that period. Think a proper back three threw Marti a little.

Seems like a good plan v QPR to be fair because the striker does seem a little isolated at times due to the lack of runners beyond him.

We got there in the end though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Marti Cifuentes on 17:29 - Mar 30 with 3402 viewsFrankRightguard

If Chair and Anderson x 2 take those chances first 20 mins are we saying he tactically out thought him? We are not.
Marti Cifuentes on 17:52 - Mar 30 with 3300 viewsT_Block

Freys lack of place meant the opposition could press high with impunity.We were toothless from about the 30 minute.It led to Birmingham gaining possession and confidence.It led to their goal.I think the plan was for Anderson to beak their back line and then cross,maybe Willock and Chair as well.Anyway after about 30 minutes it stopped working.
Marti Cifuentes on 18:21 - Mar 30 with 3176 viewsVancouverHoop

Andersen's been our most intelligent offensive midfielder since he arrived. Yesterday was his first average-poor performance and it showed in the team's first-half performance. It seemed to me that after we went behind somebody (or a few somebodies) said "F**k it! I'm not having it." The subs helped too for sure. The speed of Armstrong and Smyth, while sometimes from headless chickentown, at least shifted the attention of the other players up a gear.

FWIW I think — injuries aside, we still have a thin squad* — we'll do enough to survive.

* It's interesting that the sick notes seem to have noticeably declined since Marti arrived and results improved. Funny eh?
[Post edited 30 Mar 18:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Marti Cifuentes on 18:30 - Mar 30 with 3124 viewsNoDiddley

Rowett had nothing to lose, he’s only covering Mowbray, see his interview after he’s almost blasé about the result? Why would you want to go to our drum & dig in?
Marti Cifuentes on 18:48 - Mar 30 with 2990 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Don't be fooled by the pretty stuff Birmingham tried to play in the middle third early doors. They had ZERO shots on target in the first half whilst QPR had 3 or 4 gilt edged chances. With better finishing, QPR are at least 2 goals to the good at HT. If that equates to Rowett winning the tactical battle then I'm a monkey's uncle.
Marti Cifuentes on 19:01 - Mar 30 with 2932 viewskensalriser

Strange take. We had 55% possession, 18 shots to 13 (6 on target vs 3) and 6 corners against 2.

Our subs were the right ones at the right time whereas they took off their best player and gave up trying to win from that point on.

I'm not sure Brum really look like a relegation side, but given how close it is, at least one side is going to be unlucky.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Marti Cifuentes on 19:19 - Mar 30 with 2858 viewsbaz_qpr

Surely it was inevitable, Rowett's first game we had no idea how they would set up and play. It was always going to take a half to work out what they were doing and adjust, hence why we were not great without the ball, but I think we did adjust and having said that we should have been 2 up by half time anyway
Marti Cifuentes on 19:30 - Mar 30 with 2801 viewsmart_Goblin

I don’t agree.
But maybe I think I know what you mean. There were a lot of times in the first half that Birmingham turned the ball over and some of their players took up intelligent positions in holes to receive the ball. I do remember saying to my son that Marti has to find a way quickly to solve the problem .
After half time I think he did . They had a couple of moments including the goal, but didn’t look as threatening and we controlled the ball better .

Seen some criticise the performance yesterday but I thought it was our final ball that was lacking . We get ourselves in such great situations in every game but our final ball is in general quite poor .
Add that to the ways finishing and I think it shows that the attacking players (not the strikers) are feeling the pressure to provide the ammo as the strikers just ain’t going to get the goals to keep us up. But we knew that in July
Marti Cifuentes on 08:48 - Mar 31 with 2407 viewsJamesB1979

Well I’ll leave tactical analysis to those that know more about that then me but Marti’s taken a squad that was to some “bunch of wasters” and a club that needed an Ainsworth style kick up the arse to a team that’s now 4 points above the drop and creating some good memories for once. All the talk about nothing could be done with the squad and was “more than the manager” was all nonsense. It just needed a good coach who is also a good man manager. To me Marti is a bloody genius. With the exception of Richard’s, I can’t see any issues with this squad effort point of view.
Marti Cifuentes on 08:55 - Mar 31 with 2352 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Marti Cifuentes on 08:48 - Mar 31 by JamesB1979

Well I’ll leave tactical analysis to those that know more about that then me but Marti’s taken a squad that was to some “bunch of wasters” and a club that needed an Ainsworth style kick up the arse to a team that’s now 4 points above the drop and creating some good memories for once. All the talk about nothing could be done with the squad and was “more than the manager” was all nonsense. It just needed a good coach who is also a good man manager. To me Marti is a bloody genius. With the exception of Richard’s, I can’t see any issues with this squad effort point of view.

Jeez, I had genuinely forgotten about Richards. Just shows how important those January signings were in terms of improving the squad - two of them clearly successes, while the others have at least contributed something.
Marti Cifuentes on 09:02 - Mar 31 with 2348 viewsDeanoMD

Hilarious post.

Highlights some of the bizarre non-sense that our fan base often comes up with.

Look at the game stats and look at the result Simple factual evidence that proves you completely wrong.
Marti Cifuentes on 09:03 - Mar 31 with 2337 viewsnix

Marti Cifuentes on 19:19 - Mar 30 by baz_qpr

Surely it was inevitable, Rowett's first game we had no idea how they would set up and play. It was always going to take a half to work out what they were doing and adjust, hence why we were not great without the ball, but I think we did adjust and having said that we should have been 2 up by half time anyway

Yes.

I think they may be a bit nervous at times. There's just so much riding on these games, and the ones against Huddersfield, Stoke, Rotherham and Plymouth. While they didn't treat Leicester and WBA as the dreaded bonus games, they certainly played with more freedom and looked more relaxed.

Would be interesting to see what we look like if we win a couple of the next few games and are largely out of trouble to see if we score more (admittedly harder against better defences).
Marti Cifuentes on 09:10 - Mar 31 with 2311 viewsrobith

I dont want to be exclusionary of dissenting voices - but I'm sorry, what?

On all metrics we have comprehensively outplayed them over the 90 minutes.

Bar some errant finishing and some sloppy passing in the final third of the pitch we'd have battered them.

Failure of execution does not equal failure of strategy
Marti Cifuentes on 09:17 - Mar 31 with 2285 viewslondonscottish

Marti Cifuentes on 09:03 - Mar 31 by nix

Yes.

I think they may be a bit nervous at times. There's just so much riding on these games, and the ones against Huddersfield, Stoke, Rotherham and Plymouth. While they didn't treat Leicester and WBA as the dreaded bonus games, they certainly played with more freedom and looked more relaxed.

Would be interesting to see what we look like if we win a couple of the next few games and are largely out of trouble to see if we score more (admittedly harder against better defences).

Yeah, the players look to me like they're carrying the pressure on their shoulders, especially at home.

You can see the release when one of them scores and the jubilation at the end when they win. Cannon sprinted from the dugout all the way across the pitch to hug Jimmy on the final whistle. Hugging the man who's taken his place. Says a lot to how much this squad really do want to dig themselves out.

So, yes, you can see the nervousness and caution creeping in at times.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Marti Cifuentes on 09:29 - Mar 31 with 2247 viewsPaddyhoops

Rowett took off his best player. Not very bright in my opinion.
We should have been three up by half time and willock should have scored second half .
Better team won . Not one of our better performances but got the job done.
Marti Cifuentes on 10:02 - Mar 31 with 2126 viewsSydneyRs

Tbf Jimmy Dunne out thought both of them.
Marti Cifuentes on 12:30 - Mar 31 with 1916 viewsNov77

“Best since venables?”

Wow!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Marti Cifuentes on 15:10 - Mar 31 with 1721 viewsQPROslo

Marti Cifuentes on 09:29 - Mar 31 by Paddyhoops

Rowett took off his best player. Not very bright in my opinion.
We should have been three up by half time and willock should have scored second half .
Better team won . Not one of our better performances but got the job done.

Don't think Rowett had much choice as Bacuna looked injured when he went off.
[Post edited 31 Mar 15:14]
Marti Cifuentes on 15:16 - Mar 31 with 1706 viewsNorthernr

Marti Cifuentes on 10:02 - Mar 31 by SydneyRs

Tbf Jimmy Dunne out thought both of them.

I did enjoy Jimmy in his post match saying "I don't tend to think very much".
Marti Cifuentes on 21:17 - Mar 31 with 1337 viewsdavman

Marti Cifuentes on 19:30 - Mar 30 by mart_Goblin

I don’t agree.
But maybe I think I know what you mean. There were a lot of times in the first half that Birmingham turned the ball over and some of their players took up intelligent positions in holes to receive the ball. I do remember saying to my son that Marti has to find a way quickly to solve the problem .
After half time I think he did . They had a couple of moments including the goal, but didn’t look as threatening and we controlled the ball better .

Seen some criticise the performance yesterday but I thought it was our final ball that was lacking . We get ourselves in such great situations in every game but our final ball is in general quite poor .
Add that to the ways finishing and I think it shows that the attacking players (not the strikers) are feeling the pressure to provide the ammo as the strikers just ain’t going to get the goals to keep us up. But we knew that in July

I think that was what I was trying to say, but you said it better!

It's not black or white, is it. Did Rowett and Brum "win" the "tactical battle"? Obviously not - they lost 2-1. But their creative midfielders did pick up the ball a few times in midfield with our CMs nowhere near them. Was that part of the "plan" - dunno, doubt it. Did they hurt us - nope, maybe 'cos Marti had us in a shape that my untrained eye could not see. But could they have? Maybe.

I'll try not to criticise any performance too much as it is night and day compared to what went before. Also, as Clive says in the report, he's done this with strikers who simply do not score and a goalkeeper who has aged before our eyes in the last six months. Absolutely nothing short of a miracle. At the end of the day, we win more than we lose at the moment and no longer get smacked around in a men v boys situation. I'll take that all day long.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024