Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Departures in the development squad 11:05 - May 13 with 27876 viewskingsburyR

Looks like one huge axe has been wielded!

Our CEO is taking no prisoners this summer!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/may/13/development-squad-departures/
[Post edited 13 May 11:05]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Departures in the development squad on 09:18 - May 15 with 3566 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Departures in the development squad on 22:30 - May 14 by Lblock

Been some good loans
Eze at Wycombe
Lumley at Bristol Rovers
Dieng at Donny

I understand this “exposure to the men’s game” argument but to counter that what I don’t get is this…..
Are we saying then the key is to sign these lads on at 16 and then simply place them at lower leagues to see how they fare as if we don’t they actually won’t progress at QPR?
So what’s the point of having a Development Squad at all? What does that say about our coaches at the DS level that it’s beyond their wit to actually bring a player through, cradle to grave, within our own club???

Rayan is a big hope for me
I sort of hope he DOESNT go out on loan and Marti deems him good enough to be eased in here and there making incremental steps up. Really think he’s got something about him

Glad to see there’s a purge of the Acceptors of Failure throughout the club as well
I think I’m warming to this Nourry chap but jury still very much out

So from my point of view, their isn't a one size fits all model. If you look at MC they loan out some of their players further down the pyramid and others like Foden they are on record as stating that they thought he was better off staying and training with the likes of De bruyne.

For our lot, I think we have kept some of the current crop too long knowing they arent good enough - at 20-22 if you aren't getting close to the first team or a loan at L1/L2 then you should be gone.

They need to be pushing the U18's into the development squads earlier(like Tuck) then once their sourcing suitable loans to aid their development. The gap between development and first team should be closer and has been seen isnt that close at the moment.

Choosing suitable loans aswell is equally important so they get gametime in a team playing a suitable style. Didnt we send Mcnulty(might be his name) to Crawley and he didn't play!
Departures in the development squad on 09:33 - May 15 with 3499 viewsCamberleyR

Departures in the development squad on 23:28 - May 14 by Third_Division_South

Don’t forget a club like Bristol City has a big geographical area to pick up players from. We’ve got three PL within 5 miles.

Good point there. They haven't got a PL club within a hundred miles of them. In fact they haven't really got that many football league teams in their immediate vicinity either and most of those are L1/L2 teams.
[Post edited 15 May 9:55]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Departures in the development squad on 09:35 - May 15 with 3487 viewstkqpr

Ive seen on a Marti social media post that he and Xavi Calm are at the Barcelona Trainig ground and posted their picture with the Barca Assistant Manager.

Now this could mean, they like to go on holiday together and they cant get enough of the great game, or maybe they might be lining up some contacts??
Departures in the development squad on 09:39 - May 15 with 3450 viewsQPunkR

Departures in the development squad on 09:35 - May 15 by tkqpr

Ive seen on a Marti social media post that he and Xavi Calm are at the Barcelona Trainig ground and posted their picture with the Barca Assistant Manager.

Now this could mean, they like to go on holiday together and they cant get enough of the great game, or maybe they might be lining up some contacts??

QPR - "shit but local"

Departures in the development squad on 09:42 - May 15 with 3444 viewskernowhoop

Hope it's 'contacts' and not 'contracts'.
Departures in the development squad on 11:59 - May 15 with 3223 viewsPdog

Departures in the development squad on 13:13 - May 14 by derbyhoop

Alleged interest from both Plymouth and Rotherham.
After a successful loan at Torquay in Nat Lge South, I'm a little surprised at the level he could reach.

The lad bagged 6 goals in 17 games from right/left back. Not bad for first stint in mens football. Yet not given a chance at QPR with Drewe ahead of him, I haven't seen enough of him to judge but perhaps too little too late (tho still 21)? Hope we didn't drop the ball on this one
[Post edited 15 May 12:01]
Departures in the development squad on 12:44 - May 15 with 3085 viewsBrizR

Departures in the development squad on 23:44 - May 14 by Ned_Kennedys

No other club would take and play a QPR 16 year old regularly: logic suggests we develop them for a few years and if they are developing well then it’s an easier sell to other clubs to take them and play them regularly. No point in having 21/22 year olds in the development squad if they’ve had no league experience elsewhere as it’s too huge a jump to Championship level.

Not really having a go at you but your post did make me think about development squads a bit so apologies for that!

I think it's honestly really difficult when you're talking about such young players and it's easy to accuse a club of getting it wrong when you have the benefit of knowing which ones didn't work out. To my view the club is getting it right by releasing them now at age 21 or so. The ones older than that are definitely where mistakes have been made - Hamalainen, Shodipo, Drewe, probably Duke-McKenna and Kelman as well - and we ought to avoid giving out such long contracts to such marginal players in the future, but the ones just released are a class or two behind those and it looks like they were basically signed up for long enough to see how they went and then were let go when it didn't work out. That feels about right - at 18 you're going to have a lot of lads who might come good or they might not; they have the ability but will they grow another 2 inches to have enough physicality, their work ethic is good but the raw talent just isn't there and they might overcome it or they might not, etc. etc. For fans wanting to see results it's easy to say X should have been binned off or Y was never going to be good enough but in reality you're talking about a couple of years from 18 to 20 or 21 where there's the biggest margin for error. We'd be equally upset if we were Millwall and let Eze go at 18 and then watched what he turned into later.

As has been repeatedly said elsewhere too, QPR aren't necessarily getting to bring through all their best youth players - by the time they get to 18 or 19 there's a good chance that the obvious best talents have been picked off by other, bigger academies in the area. If someone's good enough at 18 to be starting in a Championship first team they're probably not coming through our academy, they're on loan to us from a PL club. We're left with either the very rare ones that were desperate to stay at QPR or the ones that other clubs didn't think were worth paying compensation for and those are always going to be the bigger risks and you're going to end up releasing most of them. What we've arguably seen more success with recently isn't developing our own players from primary school age, it's bringing in young players from lower down the food chain, or picking up cast-offs from other academies - again Eze, but also BOS, Sincs, Paul Smyth, EDB, Larkeche, Chair. That's a lot of what the development squad is really for - your Deon Woodmans and Trent Rendalls make up the numbers in a team for your EDBs and Armstrongs and Kollis to play in. Since they're youth graduates coming through the academy rather than being picked up from the PL or from first teams in smaller leagues, you're probably paying them a lot less, and it's much easier to release them when they reach that critical point at age 21 or so (as long as you remember to actually release them, and don't QPR it and give them a new 4 year deal instead). Having the squad means you're not so reliant on sending players out on loan to develop them - you probably still want to do some of that so they get to play competitive men's football, but if you've got a player who's on the fringes of the first team squad that you want to actually play in the league, you need them to be available to do that, not spending the season at Stevenage.

Final thought is that when it comes to youth development player evaluation is very hard, especially if you're trying to bring them all the way through to your first team, and QPR are far from the only ones where most players don't make it. To pick one example just look at some of the players that have been on loan here over the years from the Man U academy who never made the slightest impression up there - Will Keane, Sean Goss, Ravel Morrison (via West Ham), Federico Macheda (sort of - he went there from Lazio in his teens), Ethan Laird in more recent history. Keane, Goss, and Macheda have made decent careers lower down the pyramid or in other countries, Morrison has the kind of apperance record that makes you wonder how he keeps getting signed, but none of them ever did anything at United. Our own Jake Clarke-Salter made a single league appearance for Chelsea in 6 years of technically being a senior player there. Arguably the model at that level is different and there's more of an angle of planning to pick up kids cheap that you can then loan out for a bit before selling on for modest fees (and also hoarding talent away from others), but you're still talking about a PL club investing potentially a decade or more in developing players whose level is no higher than getting sold on to Hull, and there's vastly more examples of those kinds of players than there are Classes of 92.
Departures in the development squad on 12:44 - May 15 with 3079 viewsNed_Kennedys

Departures in the development squad on 11:59 - May 15 by Pdog

The lad bagged 6 goals in 17 games from right/left back. Not bad for first stint in mens football. Yet not given a chance at QPR with Drewe ahead of him, I haven't seen enough of him to judge but perhaps too little too late (tho still 21)? Hope we didn't drop the ball on this one
[Post edited 15 May 12:01]

I assume Torquay must have been playing him further forward?

Interesting that Plymouth are allegedly looking at him as they will have more people watching every Torquay game than us as they are neighbours but Torquay have only just avoided relegation out of National League South so level is low: would expect he is too good for that level and will stand out. Needed a loan at a higher level really.

Not surprised we have released him if he couldn’t get in the first team squad ahead of Drewe or Kakay in 2 years though.
Login to get fewer ads

Departures in the development squad on 12:51 - May 15 with 3036 viewshateley_legend

Departures in the development squad on 11:07 - May 13 by TheChef

Goalkeeper Harry Cant, defenders Arkell Jude-Boyd, Trent Rendall and Deon Woodman, midfielder Samuel Sackey and forwards Hamzad Kargbo, Nathan Jeche, Micah Anthony, Joseph Ajose and Rafferty Pedder will all be moving on.

Hardly anyone left!

The law of averages says that of those 10 names, there will probably be one who might - might - go on to give us cause to bemoan the fact they were relased. Look forward to the meltdown when/if that happens...

Whatever the future might hold, for now I wish them well. 10 lads, none of whom are pampered multimillionaires, and some mentally tougher than others no doubt; hope each one is able to bounce back from disappointment in their own way.
Departures in the development squad on 13:18 - May 15 with 2907 viewsTheChef

Departures in the development squad on 12:51 - May 15 by hateley_legend

The law of averages says that of those 10 names, there will probably be one who might - might - go on to give us cause to bemoan the fact they were relased. Look forward to the meltdown when/if that happens...

Whatever the future might hold, for now I wish them well. 10 lads, none of whom are pampered multimillionaires, and some mentally tougher than others no doubt; hope each one is able to bounce back from disappointment in their own way.

Hi Mark! [cups ear]

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Departures in the development squad on 13:37 - May 15 with 2824 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Don’t forget Marti is Catalan.

I heard they are fans of Gaudi and being pickpocketed regularly so they might just be there for that 😆
Departures in the development squad on 14:01 - May 15 with 2731 viewsaston_hoop

In case anyone was wondering, the guy MC and Xavi Calm are with is Sergio Alegre. He's one of the assistant coaches at Barcelona. I'm sure these guys all know each other form the local football scene in Catalonia, but it would be no bad thing if they're over there picking up some more advice/information/tips or whatever.

Andre Dozzell to replace Frenkie de Jong?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Departures in the development squad on 14:46 - May 15 with 2634 viewsderbyhoop

Departures in the development squad on 12:51 - May 15 by hateley_legend

Not probably, but possibly.
And I agree with last paragraph.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Departures in the development squad on 15:40 - May 15 with 2456 viewskensalriser

Nailed on Barca are poaching our manager again. Bastardos.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Departures in the development squad on 16:06 - May 15 with 2358 viewsQPunkR

Departures in the development squad on 15:40 - May 15 by kensalriser

Nailed on Barca are poaching our manager again. Bastardos.

Wouldn't be the first time

QPR - "shit but local"

Departures in the development squad on 16:34 - May 15 with 2233 viewshateley_legend

Departures in the development squad on 13:18 - May 15 by TheChef

Hi Mark! [cups ear]

Sorry, can't stop - about to sign for my new club. On crutches.
Departures in the development squad on 18:06 - May 15 with 2040 viewsaston_hoop

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/may/15/first-pro-contract-for-jake-leahy/

Good for him. Played more than he might have done I reckon this season due to Casey Shann, the regular left back, getting injured. But he's been good in my opinion and well earned. Nice little bit of Nourry-speak in there too for fans of the genre

Departures in the development squad on 18:37 - May 15 with 1977 viewsdmm

Departures in the development squad on 18:06 - May 15 by aston_hoop

Good for him. Played more than he might have done I reckon this season due to Casey Shann, the regular left back, getting injured. But he's been good in my opinion and well earned. Nice little bit of Nourry-speak in there too for fans of the genre

Yeah, agreed Aston. He's done very well coming in midseason and at just 18. One to keep an eye on.
Departures in the development squad on 19:23 - May 15 with 1881 viewsHunterhoop

Departures in the development squad on 18:37 - May 15 by dmm

Yeah, agreed Aston. He's done very well coming in midseason and at just 18. One to keep an eye on.

Strong barnet game. Need to either be good or hard to get away with that in youth football, I reckon. Promising.
Departures in the development squad on 21:29 - May 15 with 1675 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Departures in the development squad on 18:06 - May 15 by aston_hoop

Hope his skills are as silky as his hair. Marvellous.
Departures in the development squad on 21:40 - May 15 with 1617 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Departures in the development squad on 19:23 - May 15 by Hunterhoop

Strong barnet game. Need to either be good or hard to get away with that in youth football, I reckon. Promising.

Departures in the development squad on 22:58 - May 15 with 1487 viewsmart_Goblin

Departures in the development squad on 23:28 - May 14 by Third_Division_South

Don’t forget a club like Bristol City has a big geographical area to pick up players from. We’ve got three PL within 5 miles.

Although this is undoubtedly true and premier league clubs nicking our players at a young age has taken some talent away for sure, we do have 8 million people living in a 30 mile radius of Loftus Road . Bristol City’s is a fraction of that . I made comment on the Aaron Drewe thread about our academy needing to answer some questions and some, quite rightly made some good points to counter argue that.
I still think our Academy has hugely under achieved in a situation where our whole MO was to produce talent to sell on. At times we do make excuses for failure.

Catchment areas and local talent do need to be sourced better for sure and with the new facilities we should have a better chance but not just local players .
In my 2 years full time there we had 3 from Scotland , 4 from Northen Ireland, 1 from
Middlesbrough, 1 from Plymouth, 3 from Kent, 3 from Essex, 2 from Home Counties .
That only left 7 (including myself) ‘local’ lads over 2 teams/years.
It would be interesting to see where the under 18’s of next season originate from as I fear they won’t come from as far and wide which means our scouting network needs to improve countrywide as well as on our doorstep.
Departures in the development squad on 23:05 - May 15 with 1473 viewsaston_hoop

Departures in the development squad on 22:58 - May 15 by mart_Goblin

Although this is undoubtedly true and premier league clubs nicking our players at a young age has taken some talent away for sure, we do have 8 million people living in a 30 mile radius of Loftus Road . Bristol City’s is a fraction of that . I made comment on the Aaron Drewe thread about our academy needing to answer some questions and some, quite rightly made some good points to counter argue that.
I still think our Academy has hugely under achieved in a situation where our whole MO was to produce talent to sell on. At times we do make excuses for failure.

Catchment areas and local talent do need to be sourced better for sure and with the new facilities we should have a better chance but not just local players .
In my 2 years full time there we had 3 from Scotland , 4 from Northen Ireland, 1 from
Middlesbrough, 1 from Plymouth, 3 from Kent, 3 from Essex, 2 from Home Counties .
That only left 7 (including myself) ‘local’ lads over 2 teams/years.
It would be interesting to see where the under 18’s of next season originate from as I fear they won’t come from as far and wide which means our scouting network needs to improve countrywide as well as on our doorstep.

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Turkey, Morocco, Jamaica, Montenegro and Wales!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/teams/under-18s

Departures in the development squad on 23:13 - May 15 with 1438 viewsmart_Goblin

Departures in the development squad on 23:05 - May 15 by aston_hoop

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Turkey, Morocco, Jamaica, Montenegro and Wales!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/teams/under-18s

Ha ha !! That’s hilarious although not definitive .

They might all be from London but their families originate from those countries like our old mate Kakay.
In the local lads I mentioned were Danny Dichio - Italy but from Ladbroke Grove ,Steve & Kevin Gallen - Acton (Ireland ) , Vin Tam Duong - Thamesmead (Vietnam) etc etc

You get my point though.

However I will and do stand corrected if we have scouted all of these kids from abroad . But I doubt it very much
Departures in the development squad on 23:36 - May 15 with 1392 viewsaston_hoop

Departures in the development squad on 23:13 - May 15 by mart_Goblin

Ha ha !! That’s hilarious although not definitive .

They might all be from London but their families originate from those countries like our old mate Kakay.
In the local lads I mentioned were Danny Dichio - Italy but from Ladbroke Grove ,Steve & Kevin Gallen - Acton (Ireland ) , Vin Tam Duong - Thamesmead (Vietnam) etc etc

You get my point though.

However I will and do stand corrected if we have scouted all of these kids from abroad . But I doubt it very much

No I think they're mostly local(ish). I was just having a bit of fun.

Ilias Chair, Sinclair Armstrong and Paul Smyth all joined our youth/reserve squads from far out though and to various degrees have become established players in our team now. Seny Dieng too albeit a little older and now sold for hard cash. Hamailainen too, they don't all work out. I don't think its a big issue. Bringing lads over from further afield under the age of 18 is also a bigger issue now for English teams after brexit. Even players from Ireland can't come which means you're seeing a lot of their top talent getting picked up by clubs in Italy or elsewhere in Europe.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024