Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football in the 90s 12:13 - Oct 10 with 9355 viewsWegerle10

Wonder if you guys can help. I'm writing a new book on Football Nostalgia in the 1990s, and although I've collected a number of random things from the era I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

So think, football themed stickers/toys/TV/Video/Computer Games all from that era and let me know your best memories. All help is welcome!

We're the famous Queens Park Rangers, and we've got Roy Wegerle!

Football in the 90s on 12:54 - Oct 10 with 6130 viewsloftboy

The Italia 90 video game in pubs was superb at the time.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Football in the 90s on 12:58 - Oct 10 with 6117 viewsJeff

Football in the 90s on 12:54 - Oct 10 by loftboy

The Italia 90 video game in pubs was superb at the time.

was that the one where the player could bump into the post and fall over?

Can we not knock it?

Football in the 90s on 12:58 - Oct 10 with 6117 viewskingsburyR

A police horse tried to eat my brother outside white city station after the Arsenal game 1991-92.

I was told to always avoid the back of a horse, apparently the teeth are just as nasty!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Football in the 90s on 13:07 - Oct 10 with 6099 viewsericgen34

Phoenix from the flames - too many to choose from, but this one has QPR connection:

Football in the 90s on 13:20 - Oct 10 with 6084 viewsMetallica_Hoop

THE DADDY- I once had the near mythical 49 cap Alex Reeves

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Football in the 90s on 13:21 - Oct 10 with 6077 viewsdaveB

i had the original championship manager game must have been around 1992, massive box it came in and was for the amiga. I've got a Kevin Gallen bobble head somewhere as well
Football in the 90s on 13:25 - Oct 10 with 6066 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Computer Games - Sensible Football, Virtua Football, Kick Off 3(!).

TV - Grandstand, live football on TV (was it QPR v Port Vale on ITV when we came back from 3-0 down in the last few mins?).

Stickers - Panini and everyone wanting to get Skillachio (sp?) for Italy during Italia 90 (as a late replacement there was no sticker for him I think).
Football in the 90s on 13:26 - Oct 10 with 6063 viewsQPunkR

Football in the 90s on 13:21 - Oct 10 by daveB

i had the original championship manager game must have been around 1992, massive box it came in and was for the amiga. I've got a Kevin Gallen bobble head somewhere as well

Both classic!

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Football in the 90s on 13:28 - Oct 10 with 6056 viewsmikeygunn

Sensible Soccer, Match Magazine, Pannini Sticker Books, Listening to most games on the radio, the feeling of not wanting to go into school if we lost (this hasnt changed much with going to work)
Football in the 90s on 13:33 - Oct 10 with 6048 viewsKevinPR

Subbuteo!

Also, when Blackburn won the Premiership in '95 (?) it seemed like they spent a fortune. This fortune would buy you one Andy Carroll these days...
Football in the 90s on 13:44 - Oct 10 with 6034 viewsheadhoops

Football in the 90s on 13:25 - Oct 10 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Computer Games - Sensible Football, Virtua Football, Kick Off 3(!).

TV - Grandstand, live football on TV (was it QPR v Port Vale on ITV when we came back from 3-0 down in the last few mins?).

Stickers - Panini and everyone wanting to get Skillachio (sp?) for Italy during Italia 90 (as a late replacement there was no sticker for him I think).

was actually 4-0 to Port vale with around 15-20 minutes to go I believe. we never looked liked scoring until they did it for us. Then little john spencer and i think gavin peacock stepped in for a 4-4 draw.
Italia 90 one of the best world cups ever.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Football in the 90s on 13:53 - Oct 10 with 6019 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I hated Kick off 3: Patched ball, swerve and no 'Alex Reeves lob'

Football in the 90s on 14:02 - Oct 10 with 6007 viewskingo

Esso 1990 World Cup coins with the quiz question of which player was on both sets of coins (previous ones were in 1970)

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Football in the 90s on 14:04 - Oct 10 with 6003 viewsMatch82

For QPR away games that weren't on the radio, watching bleeding teletext scroll round to the 4th page every 5 minutes to see if there was an update to the QPR score.
Football in the 90s on 14:13 - Oct 10 with 5991 viewsToast_R

Football in the 90s on 13:20 - Oct 10 by Metallica_Hoop

THE DADDY- I once had the near mythical 49 cap Alex Reeves

To this day, I doubt there has been a management simulation to match Player Manager.

Simplistic and obviously limited for it's time but quite beautiful.

I had a mate who raved about his team he's been playing with for best part of a year. Looked at them and he had all top accelerationa and stamina. Worked well when he played as the whole team, but when he went up against my new 1 week old team full of players with Agility, resiliance and agression uploaded to Kick off 2.. and let the teams to their thing on their own.. his players flopped over every tackle and we took him to the cleaners. Magic.

Gutted when Player Manager 2 came out using the awful non Dino Dini KickOff 3 engine.
Anco had a chance there to make the bladdy game of the century and blew it by doing that instead of the brilliant Kick Off 2 engine which was the best football game of the 20th century
Football in the 90s on 14:14 - Oct 10 with 5991 viewsMytch_QPR

Electronic scoreboards - they used to have that 'clapping' image after a goal that looked like a pair of hands washing. The early 90's also saw the end of terracing. I don't remember the actual fixture at LR but I am guessing it was the last game of the 91/92 season that you saw terracing at the away ends and in the paddocks.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Football in the 90s on 14:19 - Oct 10 with 5978 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Football in the 90s on 14:13 - Oct 10 by Toast_R

To this day, I doubt there has been a management simulation to match Player Manager.

Simplistic and obviously limited for it's time but quite beautiful.

I had a mate who raved about his team he's been playing with for best part of a year. Looked at them and he had all top accelerationa and stamina. Worked well when he played as the whole team, but when he went up against my new 1 week old team full of players with Agility, resiliance and agression uploaded to Kick off 2.. and let the teams to their thing on their own.. his players flopped over every tackle and we took him to the cleaners. Magic.

Gutted when Player Manager 2 came out using the awful non Dino Dini KickOff 3 engine.
Anco had a chance there to make the bladdy game of the century and blew it by doing that instead of the brilliant Kick Off 2 engine which was the best football game of the 20th century

Ah that would explain why I disliked 3

I agree for a 1Mg game it was incredible, the forerunner of modern games I belive.

Did you used to get a good keeper and play him upfront? I had one who got 18 goals one year I was always 'Halifax' Div3

Football in the 90s on 14:21 - Oct 10 with 5970 viewsMrSheen

Birdsh*t kit - see Norwich, Coventry and Glenn Hysen era Liverpool.
Football in the 90s on 14:26 - Oct 10 with 5961 viewsW7Ranger

Football in the 90s on 14:04 - Oct 10 by Match82

For QPR away games that weren't on the radio, watching bleeding teletext scroll round to the 4th page every 5 minutes to see if there was an update to the QPR score.

Unless we were away to the likes of Arsenal or Aston Villa which would mean we'd be on the 1st page!
Football in the 90s (n/t) on 14:26 - Oct 10 with 5961 viewsW7Ranger

Football in the 90s on 14:04 - Oct 10 by Match82

Football in the 90s on 14:36 - Oct 10 with 5950 viewsToast_R

Football in the 90s on 14:46 - Oct 10 with 5939 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I have the light blue one of these somewhere.

Football in the 90s on 14:50 - Oct 10 with 5929 viewsNeil_SI

These, but not these, the ones with the paper/card cut outs in the shape of the clubs shirts. Hated and loved them at the same time, so fiddly!

The 1990 Esso Coins were legendary:

Football in the 90s on 15:33 - Oct 10 with 5891 viewsTW_R

Football in the 90s on 13:44 - Oct 10 by headhoops

was actually 4-0 to Port vale with around 15-20 minutes to go I believe. we never looked liked scoring until they did it for us. Then little john spencer and i think gavin peacock stepped in for a 4-4 draw.
Italia 90 one of the best world cups ever.

Impey, Murray & Spencer. 3 goals in the last 5 mins.
Football in the 90s on 15:53 - Oct 10 with 5875 viewstom007

Football in the 90s on 15:33 - Oct 10 by TW_R

Impey, Murray & Spencer. 3 goals in the last 5 mins.

football in general just seemed better back then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024