Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football in the 90s 12:13 - Oct 10 with 9423 viewsWegerle10

Wonder if you guys can help. I'm writing a new book on Football Nostalgia in the 1990s, and although I've collected a number of random things from the era I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

So think, football themed stickers/toys/TV/Video/Computer Games all from that era and let me know your best memories. All help is welcome!

We're the famous Queens Park Rangers, and we've got Roy Wegerle!

Football in the 90s on 16:09 - Oct 10 with 2002 viewssheppetonrs

Football in the 90s on 14:50 - Oct 10 by Neil_SI

These, but not these, the ones with the paper/card cut outs in the shape of the clubs shirts. Hated and loved them at the same time, so fiddly!

The 1990 Esso Coins were legendary:

You can still get these. My son is hooked on it.
Football in the 90s on 17:16 - Oct 10 with 1980 viewsQPR1506

Football in the 90s on 16:09 - Oct 10 by sheppetonrs

You can still get these. My son is hooked on it.

Shepperton are you referring to the coins or the ladders? If the ladders can you let me know where I can get them from? Cheers

In Redknapp We Trust !

Football in the 90s on 17:29 - Oct 10 with 1973 viewsMrSheen

Football in the 90s on 17:16 - Oct 10 by QPR1506

Shepperton are you referring to the coins or the ladders? If the ladders can you let me know where I can get them from? Cheers

Kids football magazines still put them out at the beginning of the season, I think. Certainly, there are loads of little tabs in the corners of my son's bedroom from Match Magazine. Just like his dad, he's never updated them after setting them all up in Week 1.
Football in the 90s on 17:35 - Oct 10 with 1972 viewsxistens_pet

Does anyone recall Ryan Giggs' skill ball thing that was a cheap plastic ball attached to a headband/visor by a piece of elastic?
Even at the age of 10 you could see it wasn't going to improve your skill or touch one iota due to the fact it reversed all of the weight ratio and actual physics of a football.

Giving it a proper welly at the end of a series of keepy-ups usually ended in a short black-out owing to the ball being attached to your forehead.

I recall it being plastered all over the TV around 1995 but the internet is denying all knowledge of it's existence.
Football in the 90s on 17:38 - Oct 10 with 1970 viewsdaveB

league ladders they were called, you used to get them with Shoot magazine, I loved them, the season didn't start until I got that and could start updating the table every week. Other teenage boys had pictures of girls on the wall, i had Andy Sinton and League ladders
Football in the 90s on 18:37 - Oct 10 with 1958 viewsLimehouseR

Football in the 90s on 17:35 - Oct 10 by xistens_pet

Does anyone recall Ryan Giggs' skill ball thing that was a cheap plastic ball attached to a headband/visor by a piece of elastic?
Even at the age of 10 you could see it wasn't going to improve your skill or touch one iota due to the fact it reversed all of the weight ratio and actual physics of a football.

Giving it a proper welly at the end of a series of keepy-ups usually ended in a short black-out owing to the ball being attached to your forehead.

I recall it being plastered all over the TV around 1995 but the internet is denying all knowledge of it's existence.

I had one.
I'm pretty sure it was bought for me as a means of punishment and with the idea that I wouldn't smash up the garden any more but just smash up myself instead. I must have looked like a right dork on the handful of occasions I had it on.
Football in the 90s on 18:43 - Oct 10 with 1954 viewsWeaverQPR

sensible soccer top game.

@WeavQPR

Football in the 90s on 18:58 - Oct 10 with 1948 viewsToast_R

Football in the 90s on 18:43 - Oct 10 by WeaverQPR

sensible soccer top game.

Too easy to score, the old diagonal shot across the goal with a bit of lift, guaranteed goal!

Login to get fewer ads

Football in the 90s on 20:18 - Oct 10 with 1936 viewssheppetonrs

Yeah i mean the ladders. Pretty sure it was amazon. Give me a couple of hrs and will let you know.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Football in the 90s on 21:01 - Oct 10 with 1919 viewsloftboy

A lot of the stuff mentioned we had in the 70's.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Football in the 90s on 21:28 - Oct 10 with 1908 viewstom007

Football in the 90s on 21:01 - Oct 10 by loftboy

A lot of the stuff mentioned we had in the 70's.

blow football lol did anyone have that i did.

a cardboard pitch a plastic ball and 2 like straws and a platic goal at each end.

hilarious
Football in the 90s on 21:29 - Oct 10 with 1907 viewssheppetonrs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doowell-Activity-Charts-Magnetic-Football/dp/B0015QQZJS/

Try this
Football in the 90s on 22:17 - Oct 10 with 1886 viewswombat

Football in the 90s on 13:25 - Oct 10 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Computer Games - Sensible Football, Virtua Football, Kick Off 3(!).

TV - Grandstand, live football on TV (was it QPR v Port Vale on ITV when we came back from 3-0 down in the last few mins?).

Stickers - Panini and everyone wanting to get Skillachio (sp?) for Italy during Italia 90 (as a late replacement there was no sticker for him I think).

That's the right game but was only shown for some reason in the local area to port vale

One johhny spencer there's only one johhny spencer

There was also subbeteo and the other footy game where u it the players head to kick the ball

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Football in the 90s on 22:22 - Oct 10 with 1879 viewsloftboy

Football in the 90s on 22:17 - Oct 10 by wombat

That's the right game but was only shown for some reason in the local area to port vale

There was also subbeteo and the other footy game where u it the players head to kick the ball

Super striker wombat

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Football in the 90s on 22:56 - Oct 10 with 1874 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Football in the 90s on 22:17 - Oct 10 by wombat

I was in Nottingham(spit) at the time and half asleep on the sofa, the metamorphosis from sloth like teenage greaseball on the sofa into a delirious screaming banshee! What a come back that was!
Football in the 90s on 23:49 - Oct 10 with 1722 viewseastside_r

Football in the 90s on 15:33 - Oct 10 by TW_R

Impey, Murray & Spencer. 3 goals in the last 5 mins.

John Spencer's celebration, one of my favourite of all time.

Just strides towards the away support nodding, amidst total and utter carnage.
Football in the 90s on 13:29 - Oct 11 with 1687 viewsthemodfather

Football in the 90s on 23:49 - Oct 10 by eastside_r

John Spencer's celebration, one of my favourite of all time.

Just strides towards the away support nodding, amidst total and utter carnage.

i recall, 3pm saturday kick offs.
and then tv took over, bit by bit....
Football in the 90s on 13:31 - Oct 11 with 1686 viewsQPR1506

Football in the 90s on 21:29 - Oct 10 by sheppetonrs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doowell-Activity-Charts-Magnetic-Football/dp/B0015QQZJS/

Try this

Cheers!!

In Redknapp We Trust !

Football in the 90s on 13:46 - Oct 11 with 1680 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Do you still get FA cup wallcharts with stickers? (Two blank ones for the giant killers)

One I got had Newport County stickers in it so it must have been before 1989.

I'm pretty sure they would have been going in 1990

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Football in the 90s on 14:14 - Oct 11 with 1669 viewsKevinPR

Football in the 90s on 18:58 - Oct 10 by Toast_R

Too easy to score, the old diagonal shot across the goal with a bit of lift, guaranteed goal!

Sensible World of Soccer fixed that... much harder to score.

Football in the 90s on 14:22 - Oct 11 with 1665 viewsBklynRanger

I don't think the mad popularity of Baddiel and Skinner has been mentioned yet, and that 'Stato' bloke.

It definitely was the heyday for football arcade games - in Weatherspoons pubs for example. That's all moved indoors now of course...

I'm sure there are other things, but it's like they say - if you can remember the '90s you weren't there.
Football in the 90s on 08:32 - Oct 12 with 1620 viewsNorthLondonR

Those mini Italia 90 red green and white footballs that you could purchase cheaply with every can of coke, they should have some kind of legislation around kids only being allowed to play with those as it developed your ball control and skill immensely.

£13million superstar that never was Gianluigi Lentini - what became of him?

One of the early versions of Champ Manager 96-97 I believe with Iffy Onuora, Viktor Leonenko and Oleg Luzhny champions of Europe within 5 seasons guaranteed
Football in the 90s on 08:57 - Oct 12 with 1613 viewsBuck_Chilly

Main memories of football in the 90's:

Merlin stickers, my school was mad about them. It took me forever to get Gary Walsh and complete the book.

World Cup '94 & Euro 96, the first football tournaments I remember.

Fifa 95 on the Sega, it didn't have any real players names but I loved it. It was the last football game I played until Fifa 08 to have QPR in it.

I also had a net thing attached to a dog lead, was supposed to improve shooting.
Football in the 90s on 09:31 - Oct 12 with 1599 viewsboobishabang

Great Soccer on the Sega Master system, 1st football game played on a console, was awesome when it first came out.

European Club Soccer, spent hours playing this, the teams and kits were far better than anything see b4!

Football on snowy pitches - was it me or did they play a lot more matches back in the 90's on snow covered pitches, orange tango came out and away they went.
Football in the 90s on 10:53 - Oct 12 with 1581 viewsKrakow

Has to be the subbuteo Italia 90 edition - astroturf, Italia 90 balls and Italia 90 nets
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024