Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Green or Smithies 09:51 - Dec 18 with 1770 viewsSuffolkHoop

If you were in the position JFH is, how many games would it take before you gave the younger lad a chance? He's still getting to know the players and seeing what he's got to work with. If it were me I'd be giving Smithies a go at Bristol City and maybe Portman Road boxing day.
Green or Smithies on 10:02 - Dec 18 with 1753 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Depends a lot on how both are doing in training and the feeling of the other players, particularly the senior ones. JFH has seen very little of either and while he may look weak if he persists too long with Green (should Green's form not improve) he also risks looking reactionary and disloyal if he drops him too soon.

Changing a keeper is a hard call for a manager, particularly the timing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Green or Smithies on 10:09 - Dec 18 with 1744 viewsSuffolkHoop

Green or Smithies on 10:02 - Dec 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Depends a lot on how both are doing in training and the feeling of the other players, particularly the senior ones. JFH has seen very little of either and while he may look weak if he persists too long with Green (should Green's form not improve) he also risks looking reactionary and disloyal if he drops him too soon.

Changing a keeper is a hard call for a manager, particularly the timing.

I'd agree with what you say about loyalty being particularly important for goalkeepers (and their confidence), while the whole squad have to see JFH as a man of empathy as well as leadership.

Having said that, if a goalkeeper is unreliable in consecutive matches, and his errors are putting to waste the hard work of the rest of the team in games, and in training, that's not good either.
Green or Smithies on 16:00 - Dec 18 with 1610 viewsBluce_Ree

I'd put Smithies in tomorrow and then after three or four games (just enough to shut everyone up) I'd put Green back in to fix everything.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Green or Smithies on 16:11 - Dec 18 with 1585 viewsPinnerPaul

Green or Smithies on 10:09 - Dec 18 by SuffolkHoop

I'd agree with what you say about loyalty being particularly important for goalkeepers (and their confidence), while the whole squad have to see JFH as a man of empathy as well as leadership.

Having said that, if a goalkeeper is unreliable in consecutive matches, and his errors are putting to waste the hard work of the rest of the team in games, and in training, that's not good either.

Except professional footballers know they all make mistakes and don't expect to be dropped each time they make one.

Tues - 1st goal - Angella should win the header

2nd goal - Henry should win 2nd ball, Hall should close down quicker.

Fer should score with header in 2nd half as well and so it goes on

GKs are easy targets (writes an ex goalkeeper!)
Green or Smithies on 17:10 - Dec 18 with 1515 viewssimmo

Green or Smithies on 16:11 - Dec 18 by PinnerPaul

Except professional footballers know they all make mistakes and don't expect to be dropped each time they make one.

The goalkeeper is there so that if and when these things happen (missed headers, 'poor closing down'), someone is there to deal with things. Some things are beyond a goalkeepers control and you concede anyway, but simple things - pass backs, balls in behind the defence, shots straight down the middle from 35 yards, kicking the ball straight and over the halfway line, these should be bread and butter for experienced keepers. These are all things Green consistently struggles with - some of them are an issue every single game.

It's not good enough. He should not be picked and then released in the summer.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Green or Smithies on 17:17 - Dec 18 with 1489 viewsDiscodroids

Green or Smithies on 17:10 - Dec 18 by simmo

The goalkeeper is there so that if and when these things happen (missed headers, 'poor closing down'), someone is there to deal with things. Some things are beyond a goalkeepers control and you concede anyway, but simple things - pass backs, balls in behind the defence, shots straight down the middle from 35 yards, kicking the ball straight and over the halfway line, these should be bread and butter for experienced keepers. These are all things Green consistently struggles with - some of them are an issue every single game.

i cannot add anything to that.

other than id like to smash the granny out of denise on east enders.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Green or Smithies on 17:19 - Dec 18 with 1479 viewsitsbiga

Green aint the future. I'd go Smithies.
I would have gone McCarthy but some numbnut got rid...

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Green or Smithies on 17:20 - Dec 18 with 1473 viewsPunteR

Green or Smithies on 17:10 - Dec 18 by simmo

You really don't like Green do you Simmo..
I agree with Brian, the timing is really important when changing a goalie. That said, I think now is a good time to give Smithies a run of games.
I like green but his form has dipped, time to get the youngster a game.
Healthy competition, lets see what Smithies can do.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Green or Smithies on 17:23 - Dec 18 with 1469 viewsPommyhoop

I'd have Poulter back in between the sticks before Green.
Jinmmy didn't look impressed after the 2nd went in...
Hold that thought Jim..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Green or Smithies on 17:32 - Dec 18 with 1447 viewsNorthernr

Smithies, although if it happens then Bluce's scenario is what will happen.
This is a big move for Smithies and he looked nervous as hell on his previous outings. If he's going in, he should be assured it's for a prolonged period of time and encouraged to relax into it. What will happen, if he ever comes in, is he'll have a mediocre/ropey start and Green will be back in four games later. That's as long term as QPR get.
Green or Smithies on 17:35 - Dec 18 with 1435 viewsjohncharles

My theory, for what it's worth, is that most of our problems stem from Greeno. He just doesn't command his area. Defenders are never convinced he's going to come for the ball. Attacking players are never sure that if they make a run the ball will come anywhere near them. Midfielders who venture forward have to run all the way back. His distribution is shocking. Having defended a corner we never catch their full backs in our half. This is all down to Green. Not just his poor distribution but the forward players lack of belief in him. They don't make the runs. The defenders can't hold a high line because the goalkeeper wobbles. More and more as the game goes on. Get a keeper like Kenny and the defence are more afraid of him than they are of the opposition.

Strong and stable my arse.

Green or Smithies on 17:39 - Dec 18 with 1414 viewssimmo

Green or Smithies on 17:20 - Dec 18 by PunteR

You really don't like Green do you Simmo..
I agree with Brian, the timing is really important when changing a goalie. That said, I think now is a good time to give Smithies a run of games.
I like green but his form has dipped, time to get the youngster a game.
Healthy competition, lets see what Smithies can do.

I've got no personal grudge, but I have watched him for years now, on massive massive money (which is obviosuly not his fault at all), but he's got to be one of the best paid keepers across all leagues and what are we getting for that? He gives me zero confidence. When a simple ball is passed back to him I'm covering my eyes, should it be that way? We missed out on another young and good prospect who came and went (McCarthy). As it turned out that year sat on the bench has really hurt his progression - now we're doing the same with another good young keeper. It's infuriating.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 17:41]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Green or Smithies on 17:40 - Dec 18 with 1410 viewsPommyhoop

Green or Smithies on 17:35 - Dec 18 by johncharles

My theory, for what it's worth, is that most of our problems stem from Greeno. He just doesn't command his area. Defenders are never convinced he's going to come for the ball. Attacking players are never sure that if they make a run the ball will come anywhere near them. Midfielders who venture forward have to run all the way back. His distribution is shocking. Having defended a corner we never catch their full backs in our half. This is all down to Green. Not just his poor distribution but the forward players lack of belief in him. They don't make the runs. The defenders can't hold a high line because the goalkeeper wobbles. More and more as the game goes on. Get a keeper like Kenny and the defence are more afraid of him than they are of the opposition.

This...
Next time you watch Leicester,watch how many attacks start from the keeper.His Dad wasn't bad at it either. Smithies distribution was a marked improvement to Green's .honest I made a point of looking and comparing.

Green or Smithies on 17:45 - Dec 18 with 1390 viewsnix

Green improved after McCarthy came in and provided some competition. If no reason other than that I'd put Smithies in for a few matches. I've just seen too many matches this season where Green has done something rash. Most of them we've got away with but that may not continue.

I also noticed the difference between the relaxed way Brighton defenders passed back and had confidence in their keeper and the way our defenders look nervous when they're passing back, with good reason.
Green or Smithies on 17:46 - Dec 18 with 1380 viewsPunteR

Green or Smithies on 17:32 - Dec 18 by Northernr

Smithies, although if it happens then Bluce's scenario is what will happen.
This is a big move for Smithies and he looked nervous as hell on his previous outings. If he's going in, he should be assured it's for a prolonged period of time and encouraged to relax into it. What will happen, if he ever comes in, is he'll have a mediocre/ropey start and Green will be back in four games later. That's as long term as QPR get.

It depends. If in 4 games he's let in 8 goals then I guess you have to bring Green back don't you?
Jury is still out with Smithies. Is Smithies the future,who knows.
He deserves a chance now anyway.
Green has been a good signing for us,he's been treated poorly in the past but kept his head down and worked hard. If his abilities are letting him down at the moment then fair enough,you have to play your best players.
I just don't go along with the he's sh*t,get rid mentality.
I cant see him here next season so we need to bring Smithies in at some point and get him championship games.

Green or Smithies on 17:49 - Dec 18 with 1377 viewsbrad

Green or Smithies on 16:11 - Dec 18 by PinnerPaul

green,smithies not good enough,even murphy was a better keeper,and we let him go.
Green or Smithies on 17:55 - Dec 18 with 1367 viewsNorthernr

Green or Smithies on 17:49 - Dec 18 by brad

green,smithies not good enough,even murphy was a better keeper,and we let him go.

Total nonsense. Murphy who's struggling in League Two in one of League Two's better teams?
Green or Smithies on 17:56 - Dec 18 with 1363 viewsNorthernr

Green or Smithies on 17:46 - Dec 18 by PunteR

It depends. If in 4 games he's let in 8 goals then I guess you have to bring Green back don't you?
Jury is still out with Smithies. Is Smithies the future,who knows.
He deserves a chance now anyway.
Green has been a good signing for us,he's been treated poorly in the past but kept his head down and worked hard. If his abilities are letting him down at the moment then fair enough,you have to play your best players.
I just don't go along with the he's sh*t,get rid mentality.
I cant see him here next season so we need to bring Smithies in at some point and get him championship games.

"It depends. If in 4 games he's let in 8 goals then I guess you have to bring Green back don't you?"

No. Four games may be long term by QPR's standards but it's barely a fortnight to anybody else. I'd look and see how brilliant he was over a really long time at Huddersfield and give him a prolonged chance to grow into that here.
Green or Smithies on 17:57 - Dec 18 with 1360 viewsPunteR

Green or Smithies on 17:39 - Dec 18 by simmo

I've got no personal grudge, but I have watched him for years now, on massive massive money (which is obviosuly not his fault at all), but he's got to be one of the best paid keepers across all leagues and what are we getting for that? He gives me zero confidence. When a simple ball is passed back to him I'm covering my eyes, should it be that way? We missed out on another young and good prospect who came and went (McCarthy). As it turned out that year sat on the bench has really hurt his progression - now we're doing the same with another good young keeper. It's infuriating.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2015 17:41]

He's one of the best paid because he's played football at the highest level all his career including internationals. That has to say something about the quality of his keeping.
He's out of form at the moment,for sure and by the looks of him in the last few matches he knows it as well,especially his kicking.
Onouha puts him under a fair bit of pressure with his poor pass backs Imo.
I'd like to see Smithies get some games.

Green or Smithies on 17:58 - Dec 18 with 1356 viewsSuffolkHoop

Green or Smithies on 17:49 - Dec 18 by brad

Smithies not good enough? Sorry, has Smithies had a fair go now then? was it him at fault for both goals Tuesday night? Did Smithies try keep ups with his wrong foot against Forest? Does Smithies kick it into the stand whenever it's played back to him?
Green or Smithies on 18:02 - Dec 18 with 1337 viewsPommyhoop

Unless Smithies is a complete plank in training he surely must get a start soon.
I don't buy into the new manager might upset the defensive apple cart theory.
Green has been a very weak link for years now.
Patience totally snapped.

Green or Smithies on 18:02 - Dec 18 with 1337 viewsPunteR

I think we had exactly the same discussions regarding McCarthy. He's not doing great atm because he hasn't taken his chances when he got them.
Lets hope Smithies does.

Green or Smithies on 18:05 - Dec 18 with 1327 viewsDiscodroids

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Green or Smithies on 18:56 - Dec 18 with 1279 viewsbrad

Green or Smithies on 17:58 - Dec 18 by SuffolkHoop

Smithies not good enough? Sorry, has Smithies had a fair go now then? was it him at fault for both goals Tuesday night? Did Smithies try keep ups with his wrong foot against Forest? Does Smithies kick it into the stand whenever it's played back to him?

JFH should have played him last saturday,smithies should be given a run,but when green was suspended,we couldnt get him back quick enough,WHY isnt he getting a run?maybe tomorrow he might get his chance.
Green or Smithies on 20:06 - Dec 18 with 1243 viewsCiderwithRsie

Green or Smithies on 17:19 - Dec 18 by itsbiga

Green aint the future. I'd go Smithies.
I would have gone McCarthy but some numbnut got rid...

I really feel we missed a trick in not pushing along the alleged transfer negotiations for Green to leave, and then putting McCarthy in at first choice.

Still vaguely wonder if we couldn't get McCarthy back and offload Green in the transfer window.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024