Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks good..Can't wait.. 07:54 - Dec 16 with 5315 viewsPommyhoop

I've always wanted a modern war film about British engagements with the special effects of films like Saving Private Ryan and Fury.. This film Dunkirk looks good.

What I'd really like to see would be a decent film about The North African campaign and/or Italy..
My Grandad was at both and I'd love to see a hollywood blockbuster about one/both of them..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 08:15 - Dec 16 with 3910 viewsPunteR

Its in good hands with Christopher Nolan directing. Tough watch I would imagine.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 08:16 - Dec 16 with 3903 viewspaulparker

im with you Pommy , think of all the battles and great missions our country was involved in during the 2nd world war , you would think someone out there would be making films or at least a mini series ala band of brothers or the pacific
we have some great actors in this country (look at game of thrones for example)
and it can be done the BBC made a series of reconstructions about true stories during WW1 and it was fantastic & heart wrenching ,
I dunno about anyone else but im bored to tears about how the Yanks won ww2 in every film

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 08:21 - Dec 16 with 3893 viewsPommyhoop

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 08:16 - Dec 16 by paulparker

im with you Pommy , think of all the battles and great missions our country was involved in during the 2nd world war , you would think someone out there would be making films or at least a mini series ala band of brothers or the pacific
and it can be done the BBC made a series of reconstructions about true stories during WW1 and it was fantastic & heart wrenching ,
I dunno about anyone else but im bored to tears about how the Yanks won ww2 in every film

Yep PP. It would'nt surprise me if the main characters and heroes of this film would be some cowboy from Nebraska who was mooching around France and a fella from New Jersey who was taking his vacation in Brighton and got 100 souls back on his pedalo...

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 09:40 - Dec 16 with 3810 viewsDorse

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 08:16 - Dec 16 by paulparker

I think Hollywood's contribution can be summed up in two words: 'Pearl Harbour'. Quite simply the worst puddle of rancid horse jizz I have ever seen. I consider it to be an insult to my arse that I had to sit on it whilst watching it. The only film that comes near it is 'U571'. Words fail me.

Two of my favourite war movies are 'Das Boot' and 'Stalingrad'. Both German-made and neither pulls any punches about conditions and the tension between doing your duty and having to do it at the behest of the Party. And, of course, 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Fury' (which has some tricky moments to be fair - on ewould have to question why 200-odd Germans didn't just by-pass the Sherman and stick a Panzerfaust up its arse) have effectively reinvigorated the genre. Hailing from Dorset, it's worth a visit to the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp - they have both the Tiger (131 - the only one still working) and the Sherman used in the film.

If you want to read a decent book on modern warfare that is currently blowing my socks off, try 'One Soldier's War In Chechnya' by Arkady Babchenko. It reads like something from the 1940s. Horrific abuse of their soldiers.

Edit - just noticed they're using the Rolls Royce-engined 109s for the flight scenes. No CGI there then! Sorry - I love old aircraft!
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 10:21]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 09:59 - Dec 16 with 3779 viewsDiscodroids

Two things i never do ..go to the pictures or run marathons..The latter being because im fifteen and a half stone with south american kibble damaged heart ventricles, and who needs to take a breather when taking the top off a tuna tin .

As for the pictures , normally there's more chance of The Muscular Tour de Force Tim Farron, to be Cast as Frank Booth & Don Logan in 'Blue Velvet' & 'Sexy Beast' Sequels in 2017, Than me ever going ( i havent been since American Psycho in the early 2000's), but im booked front and Center for 'Trainspotting 2' and 'Dunkirk'.

Cannae wait.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:08 - Dec 16 with 3725 viewshopphoops

1st January 1995 I was searched and fined for minor possession in Dunkirk, returning on a coach from new years eve in Amsterdam. The coach trip had been advertised in Private Eye and was about fifteen quid return if i remember. Driver drinking at the wheel, one hard jungle tape looping hour after hour at a volume which the coach's Romanian-built speakers couldn't quite do justice to.

I'd just spent southern Holland and all of Belgium trying to find the way out of the coach toilet. The customs took one look and decided they could stock an entire pharma start-up with this lot.

Eventually got on the ferry and the delusions continued with a waking hallucination about us having turned over Arsenal at Highbury and John Jensen scoring, where the hell did i dig that notion up from?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:25 - Dec 16 with 3687 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Slightly off topic, but I watched Das Boot for the 2,000th time last night on Netflix.

Never dulls.
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:28 - Dec 16 with 3686 viewsPommyhoop

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:25 - Dec 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Slightly off topic, but I watched Das Boot for the 2,000th time last night on Netflix.

Never dulls.

Great film..As is that Russian film about the Germans wiping out a village in the Ukraine .

Come show me ???
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 11:29]

Login to get fewer ads

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:30 - Dec 16 with 3674 viewsToast_R

Stanley Kubrik's Full Metal Jacket - a master piece filmed in the UK.

I actually preferred the Band of Brothers series to Saving Private Ryan, full of British actors some have gone to have wonderful careers like Stephen Graham and Tom Hardy. The Pacific wasn't half bad either.

Dunkirk certainly does look interesting. Intrigued to know if the budget was on par with a Hollywood or HBO production.
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:33 - Dec 16 with 3667 viewsisawqpratwcity

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:28 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

Great film..As is that Russian film about the Germans wiping out a village in the Ukraine .

Come show me ???

Come and See

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/videoplayer/vi129958169?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:34 - Dec 16 with 3665 viewsPommyhoop

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:33 - Dec 16 by isawqpratwcity

Come and See

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/videoplayer/vi129958169?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Thats it .Cheers ..
Great film..

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:37 - Dec 16 with 3652 viewsJuzzie

All Quiet On The Western Front - have in on DVD and still yet to see it all the way through. One day ....
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:39 - Dec 16 with 3645 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:28 - Dec 16 by Pommyhoop

Come show me ???

Ironic, seeing as they having a go at it themselves.
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:40 - Dec 16 with 3641 viewsTacticalR

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 09:40 - Dec 16 by Dorse

I think Hollywood's contribution can be summed up in two words: 'Pearl Harbour'. Quite simply the worst puddle of rancid horse jizz I have ever seen. I consider it to be an insult to my arse that I had to sit on it whilst watching it. The only film that comes near it is 'U571'. Words fail me.

Two of my favourite war movies are 'Das Boot' and 'Stalingrad'. Both German-made and neither pulls any punches about conditions and the tension between doing your duty and having to do it at the behest of the Party. And, of course, 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Fury' (which has some tricky moments to be fair - on ewould have to question why 200-odd Germans didn't just by-pass the Sherman and stick a Panzerfaust up its arse) have effectively reinvigorated the genre. Hailing from Dorset, it's worth a visit to the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp - they have both the Tiger (131 - the only one still working) and the Sherman used in the film.

If you want to read a decent book on modern warfare that is currently blowing my socks off, try 'One Soldier's War In Chechnya' by Arkady Babchenko. It reads like something from the 1940s. Horrific abuse of their soldiers.

Edit - just noticed they're using the Rolls Royce-engined 109s for the flight scenes. No CGI there then! Sorry - I love old aircraft!
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 10:21]

One reviewer said of Pearl Harbour:

'It attacked my intelligence with such ferocity that I could barely find my way out of the cinema'

Air hostess clique

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:48 - Dec 16 with 3625 viewsToast_R

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:37 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

All Quiet On The Western Front - have in on DVD and still yet to see it all the way through. One day ....

I actually made myself sit through Apocalypse Now a few years back (I started a thread on it on here somewhere) and to this day I don't think I've ever gotten over losing those three hours of my life. Weird sh*t.
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:33 - Dec 16 with 3574 viewsDiscodroids

A big fan of 'Operation Daybreak' the story of reinhard heydrich's assassination. I believe it was remade last year as 'anthropoid'.

I must have seen 'Conspiracy' twenty Times..The HBO film about the wannsee conference.
Its grotesque, yet fascinating.

The BBC Drama Documentary 'Dunkirk' of 2004 is well worth a watch , as is 'Generation war' a German take on word war two through the eyes of four young friends.

anthony hopkins in 'the bunker' is deranged. real videodrome stuff.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 13:48]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:38 - Dec 16 with 3563 viewsrobith

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 11:30 - Dec 16 by Toast_R

Stanley Kubrik's Full Metal Jacket - a master piece filmed in the UK.

I actually preferred the Band of Brothers series to Saving Private Ryan, full of British actors some have gone to have wonderful careers like Stephen Graham and Tom Hardy. The Pacific wasn't half bad either.

Dunkirk certainly does look interesting. Intrigued to know if the budget was on par with a Hollywood or HBO production.

re: budget - Nolan has a practise of delivering his films ahead of schedule and under budget, as those are the scenarios when studios interfere. Apparently at the end of filming he handed back a third of the budget he was given for Interstellar
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:42 - Dec 16 with 3554 viewsrobith

Also so glad Mark Rylance is getting big film roles these days. I saw him years ago in Jerusalem in the theatre, and it was the single greatest acting performance I've ever seen, absolutely incredible
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:48 - Dec 16 with 3544 viewsPommyhoop

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:42 - Dec 16 by robith

Also so glad Mark Rylance is getting big film roles these days. I saw him years ago in Jerusalem in the theatre, and it was the single greatest acting performance I've ever seen, absolutely incredible

He was brilliant in that Henry VIII thing ..Wolf Hall...??

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:17 - Dec 16 with 3485 viewsTacticalR

Rylance was also brilliant in the BBC2 production of 'The Grass Arena' (1992) about John Healy, boxer and alcoholic, who became a competitive chess player.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101972/reviews

Air hostess clique

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:32 - Dec 16 with 3457 viewsMrSheen

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:17 - Dec 16 by TacticalR

Rylance was also brilliant in the BBC2 production of 'The Grass Arena' (1992) about John Healy, boxer and alcoholic, who became a competitive chess player.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101972/reviews

I saw him as Macbeth at the Richmond Theatre, but all I can remember about it is Jane Horrocks wetting her knickers.

'71 is a very good unusual British war film. The plot runs away a bit too far but the look and the atmosphere are terrific.

On the subject of Dunkirk, I'll put another word in for Baron Noir. It's a French cross between House of Cards and Our Friends In The North, set in Paris and Dunkirk. Makes it look like Hull.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 13:36]
Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:42 - Dec 16 with 3432 viewspaulparker

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:33 - Dec 16 by Discodroids

A big fan of 'Operation Daybreak' the story of reinhard heydrich's assassination. I believe it was remade last year as 'anthropoid'.

I must have seen 'Conspiracy' twenty Times..The HBO film about the wannsee conference.
Its grotesque, yet fascinating.

The BBC Drama Documentary 'Dunkirk' of 2004 is well worth a watch , as is 'Generation war' a German take on word war two through the eyes of four young friends.

anthony hopkins in 'the bunker' is deranged. real videodrome stuff.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 13:48]

excuse my ignorance DD , but is Operation Daybreak the film where the 2 lads are left in the crypt and kill themselves before the Germans get them ?
if it is I recall seeing it with the old man when I was a kid and it haunted me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:49 - Dec 16 with 3401 viewsDiscodroids

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 13:42 - Dec 16 by paulparker

excuse my ignorance DD , but is Operation Daybreak the film where the 2 lads are left in the crypt and kill themselves before the Germans get them ?
if it is I recall seeing it with the old man when I was a kid and it haunted me

Thats the one PP. Anthony andrews and Martin shaw were in it if i recall correctly .

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 15:04 - Dec 16 with 3314 viewsFDC

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 12:38 - Dec 16 by robith

re: budget - Nolan has a practise of delivering his films ahead of schedule and under budget, as those are the scenarios when studios interfere. Apparently at the end of filming he handed back a third of the budget he was given for Interstellar

I love Nolan and his use of music, Memento remains one of my all time favourites.

he handed back a third of the budget he was given for Interstellar

Maybe that would explain why the View From The Voyager music from trailer#3 never made it into the film?! Great music, and great trailer.

Looks good..Can't wait.. on 09:07 - Dec 17 with 3148 viewsRangersDave

Hi Disco,

You think Hopkins was good, try 'downfall' starring Bruno Ganz.

It's where all those 'hitler' parodies came from on you tube. Simply stunning and I think, a German film too.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024