Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This week's podcast 13:15 - Jun 10 with 2815 viewsNorthernr

Ferdinand and Ramsey the guests...

In conversation with Ferdinand and Ramsey - Podcast 10th Jun 2020 13:15
A double guest special Open All R's Podcast this week as director of football Les Ferdinand and technical director Chris Ramsey join the regulars. 0

This week's podcast on 14:49 - Jun 10 with 2120 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great episode again. Possibly entered the Holy Interruptus Batman territory too often but still a cracking episode. We're very lucky to have them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

This week's podcast on 15:29 - Jun 10 with 2085 viewsrsonist

Officially starting the "Ebere Eze - how good is he?" question drinking game.
This week's podcast on 16:09 - Jun 10 with 2036 viewsqprd

Great podcast

I was one of the fans who wanted Ramsay out....looking back, I’m pretty embarrassed, if not horrified, abt booing him, especially after he mentioned his sisters passing

In hindsight, he could’ve done a job if we had committed to the youth strategy when we initially went down... instead, we didn’t sell the likes of Phillips, Austin and fer in the summer and had a team that should’ve challenged for top6... he really wasn’t the right manager for that kind of role
This week's podcast on 16:14 - Jun 10 with 2027 viewsNorthernr

This week's podcast on 15:29 - Jun 10 by rsonist

Officially starting the "Ebere Eze - how good is he?" question drinking game.

I did actually think of you and laugh listening to this on my run on Monday when that got asked.
This week's podcast on 17:45 - Jun 10 with 1923 viewsrsonist

This week's podcast on 16:14 - Jun 10 by Northernr

I did actually think of you and laugh listening to this on my run on Monday when that got asked.

For half a second I wondered if you hadn't told him to do it...

I'd love to think Chris is still on the fence and is genuinely gathering info.
This week's podcast on 17:47 - Jun 10 with 1920 viewsNorthernr

This week's podcast on 17:45 - Jun 10 by rsonist

For half a second I wondered if you hadn't told him to do it...

I'd love to think Chris is still on the fence and is genuinely gathering info.

Nah wasn't on this week obvs, thought it would be a good one to miss after taking a Twitter pounding over an old Ferdinand article that appeared in AKUTRs the week before. Listened on Monday and as I'm jogging round I could feel Chris building up to it and was laughing.
This week's podcast on 17:58 - Jun 10 with 1908 viewsrsonist

I have to be fair, popping Les and Chris the question was appropriate and did actually lead to some interesting insight into his personal development.

Tune in next week when Armel Tchakounte weighs in.
This week's podcast on 18:13 - Jun 10 with 1889 viewsrsonist

Extremely disappointed there wasn't a follow up query to Ramsey regarding his views on the extinction of the woolly mammoth.
Login to get fewer ads

This week's podcast on 18:47 - Jun 10 with 1863 viewsRanger_Things

Another good listen. Well done to all involved.
This week's podcast on 19:48 - Jun 10 with 1824 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really good listen, pod has gone up another level lately. Thought Les and Chris were great.
Thanks to all involved.

Bare bones.

This week's podcast on 21:32 - Jun 10 with 1735 viewsderbyhoop

I think we are really privileged to have the likes of Ferdinand and Ramsey in our club. 2 intelligent and thoughtful men.
The discussion about the lack of BAME people in top jobs was thought provoking.
How many years have black players made up a sizeable portion of most squads? Then look at how many go on to careers as coaches, managers or administrators. It's pitiful? And if we are a good example of diversity, which I think we are, why isn't it replicated elsewhere?
How many black managers in the top 2 divisions? I'm struggling to think of any at the moment. Chris Hughton was a rare example. JFH another.
How many in the League as a whole? Curle, Sol Campbell and ???
How many senior coaches?
How many administrators at FA, PL or EFL management level? Any.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

This week's podcast on 03:48 - Jun 11 with 1622 viewscharmr

Listened today while painting an outside deck semi transparent chocolate.

Les and Chris came across as they were genuinely talking to like minded fans/friends rather then the press.

My concern is will the project run its course and be part of the infrastructure of the clubs identity for many, many years. Les Reed left Southampton and new owners messed things up a bit there. New owners at Swansea changed there thinking. So much short termism in football.
It just takes a few good people to leave and a few egotistical numptys to turn up and undo all the good work. I don’t want us to be a club like that. What they are doing makes perfect sense to me.

When Venables was manager every team at every level played the same. We could have been massive.
This week's podcast on 07:46 - Jun 11 with 1556 viewssmegma

Les said some intriguing things about Eze.

And the Luton Intolerant gag at the end was superb !!!!
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 8:40]
This week's podcast on 09:26 - Jun 11 with 1496 viewsA40Bosh

This week's podcast on 03:48 - Jun 11 by charmr

Listened today while painting an outside deck semi transparent chocolate.

Les and Chris came across as they were genuinely talking to like minded fans/friends rather then the press.

My concern is will the project run its course and be part of the infrastructure of the clubs identity for many, many years. Les Reed left Southampton and new owners messed things up a bit there. New owners at Swansea changed there thinking. So much short termism in football.
It just takes a few good people to leave and a few egotistical numptys to turn up and undo all the good work. I don’t want us to be a club like that. What they are doing makes perfect sense to me.

When Venables was manager every team at every level played the same. We could have been massive.

So CR said they were at the mid-point of the "project" so if we say that it has been 2 years so far then we get another 2 years of CR as a minimum (yes, everything can change at a moment's notice) and if the working relationships between Amit > LH > LF > MW > JE > CR remain positive, then on the face of it we have a management team (both on and off the field) that are generally in their prime and seem to really have grasped the need to be sensible. Even as far back as the "Four Year Plan" baby faced Amit seemed the voice of sense and reason in amongst the lunatics running the asylum and I think if he maintains his passion and interest for the club then he will be the voice of reason when dealing with the board.

I also think that David Frazer was a little over egging Chris Ramsey's statement on having ambition and that he will be only be around in the short term. I got the impression that CR said that he felt that he perhaps had not reached his full potential but at this time it is more important that he is "happy" and he really seems to believe he has the perfect job as he works across both the first team and the academy but is out of the direct firing line and is happy that that is the case based on his previous experience as first team manager.

So whilst everything in the garden is rosy at the moment, I would hope that we don't end up losing too many of our crop of young talent and end up having to rely too much on bringing in too many of the U23s due to a lack of available funds or players willing to accept our wage structure and then a disastrous start to the season where the fans quickly lose patience with MW, the concept of Evil Les returns and the board reacts and back we go to square one.

A nice sensible 8th - 10th place finish this season, hold on to the majority of our core players and "push on" as the cliche goes next year.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

This week's podcast on 09:59 - Jun 11 with 1465 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bosh,

I'm fairly sure that he has either said or implied before that the project started in 2014/2015 so halfway means another five years to go.

This week's podcast on 10:27 - Jun 11 with 1435 viewsA40Bosh

This week's podcast on 09:59 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Bosh,

I'm fairly sure that he has either said or implied before that the project started in 2014/2015 so halfway means another five years to go.

even better then Brian!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

This week's podcast on 10:36 - Jun 11 with 1428 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This week's podcast on 10:27 - Jun 11 by A40Bosh

even better then Brian!

Ya, let's hope so.

The most exciting line in there was Les confirming in a non-OTT way that, yes, he did believe there were other exciting players in the youth set-up. I know we get regular reports from Smegma and others but, personally, I can't hear that stuff enough.

This week's podcast on 11:13 - Jun 11 with 1393 viewsEastR

This week's podcast on 19:48 - Jun 10 by Antti_Heinola

Really good listen, pod has gone up another level lately. Thought Les and Chris were great.
Thanks to all involved.

Agreed, I think FLH brings a level of structure and professionalism to it (understandably) and it makes a difference. Well done to all involved.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

This week's podcast on 11:16 - Jun 11 with 1387 viewsA40Bosh

This week's podcast on 11:13 - Jun 11 by EastR

Agreed, I think FLH brings a level of structure and professionalism to it (understandably) and it makes a difference. Well done to all involved.

plus the Finney mute capabilities of Zoom

This week's podcast on 11:29 - Jun 11 with 1373 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Maybe it was just me, but that BLM / BAME representation discussion made me feel really uncomfortable.

Great stuff as usual!
This week's podcast on 13:44 - Jun 11 with 1224 viewspaulparker

This week's podcast on 11:29 - Jun 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Maybe it was just me, but that BLM / BAME representation discussion made me feel really uncomfortable.

Great stuff as usual!

They are always going to get keep getting asked, it probably bores them TBH

Getting back to Ramsey I wasn’t a fan of him as manager at the time but looking back he was put in the job with very trying circumstances, an awful premier league side which was disjointed and who had an awful attitude , he was then supposed oversee a brand new dawn whilst expecting to be promoted the next season with uncle tony undermining him every other week , he needed help and didn’t get it, if anything he would probably suit us now as a manager

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

This week's podcast on 14:19 - Jun 11 with 1195 viewsNorthernr

I think a post further up hits the nail on the head with Ramsey. Potentially more of a coach than a manager, like Shteve, but also that season in the Champ he was meant to be overseeing the start of the new direction and actually didn't start too badly - three wins, a draw and one defeat in August, top scorers in the league, big away win at Wolves.

However the expected exodus of Austin, Fer, Phillips and others didn't happen on deadline day and I remember the absolute shift in expectations overnight from August 31 to September 1. Could still have been different, we were beating Forest 1-0 and v, v comfortable in the first game of September until Green (who also was meant to go, to be replaced by Smithies, who was clearly better anyway) boloxed up and we ended up losing 2-1.

Not a bad result against Blackburn who we struggle with. Not a bad result at Hull where we were much the better team. Then there was the 4-0 loss at Fulham and that finished him in most people's eyes for some reason. It was very harsh for me. I remember we then beat Bolton but the following away game at Birmingham the crowd were properly on at him. Group behind us in the away end just shouting and screaming abuse at him and the players all the way through. Polter came on as a late sub and I just remember this woman two rows behind me standing up, leaning over the seats in front, screaming, literally screaming, "usless Kraut cnt, you fcking useless Kraut, you fcking useless cnt, fck off Ramsey" over and over and over again.

We actually beat MK Dons 3-0 at home next up and he got booed, subs got jeered, got the old "you don't know what you're doing". I remember Karl Robinson, manager of a scab club like that, walking down the touchline and putting an arm round him in solidarity as the crowd turned. MK Dons being classier and on moral highground above us. A real low. The bloody substitutions won the game as well.

I don't know if it was expectations, or the hangers on from the Premier League hadn't quite drifted away yet, but I've never really known us do that as a crowd. It was totally OTT and out of order at the time, and now you hear his bloody sister died during it all it just makes it an even more shameful episode.

I'm amazed he came back actually, thinking about it. I'd have told us to shove it.

This post has been edited by an administrator
This week's podcast on 14:55 - Jun 11 with 1148 viewsjoe90

I really don't remember there being issues with Ramsey. Not saying there wasn't but I just don't remember people complaining about him at the time.

Didn't the MK Dons fans start fighting each other during that game?
This week's podcast on 15:15 - Jun 11 with 1119 viewsDannytheR

They way people acted with Ramsey in 2015 was a real lowpoint for us, among some pretty fierce competition. A lot of reasons for it - some of them pretty obvious and 'orrible, some of them to do with people using him (nonsensically) as a stand-in for their anger about the Fernandes era, some of them down to old managers lurking about in the background angling for jobs.

I've no idea if the man himself feels he makes a better coach than a manager — after all, he's proved himself a properly excellent coach — but worth remembering we were 13th when he was sacked as manager, a position it's literally taken us five years and four other managers (none ever given the grief Ramsey was) to get back to.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 15:15]
This week's podcast on 15:51 - Jun 11 with 1073 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This week's podcast on 15:15 - Jun 11 by DannytheR

They way people acted with Ramsey in 2015 was a real lowpoint for us, among some pretty fierce competition. A lot of reasons for it - some of them pretty obvious and 'orrible, some of them to do with people using him (nonsensically) as a stand-in for their anger about the Fernandes era, some of them down to old managers lurking about in the background angling for jobs.

I've no idea if the man himself feels he makes a better coach than a manager — after all, he's proved himself a properly excellent coach — but worth remembering we were 13th when he was sacked as manager, a position it's literally taken us five years and four other managers (none ever given the grief Ramsey was) to get back to.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 15:15]

Nm.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 17:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024