Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dieng plays 14:34 - Sep 26 with 4670 viewsGreenbay

It's
Dieng
Kakay, Dickie, Barbet, Wallace
Cameron
BOS, Amos, Chair, Thomas
Dykes
Subs - Kelly, Kane, Ball, Oteh, Carroll, Masterson, Smyth;
Dieng plays on 14:58 - Sep 26 with 3211 viewsrsonist

Time for my weekly game of guess which blocked poster started the match thread
Dieng plays on 17:21 - Sep 26 with 3040 viewsBlackCrowe

Did well, looked v assured.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dieng plays on 17:25 - Sep 26 with 3012 viewsHunterhoop

Thought he commanded his area well. Got some good punches in. Held his catches.

Looked a lot more confident and assured.

One other point. He looked to have a massive boot on him. His kicks were dropping 20-30 yards into the oppo's half.
Dieng plays on 17:26 - Sep 26 with 3012 viewsgazza1

Shocked Dieng played but did well......
Dieng plays on 17:30 - Sep 26 with 2988 viewsstevec

Why would we be negotiating a contract with Lumley?

Flabbergasted.
Dieng plays on 17:35 - Sep 26 with 2959 viewsMalintabuk

Dieng plays on 17:30 - Sep 26 by stevec

Why would we be negotiating a contract with Lumley?

Flabbergasted.

Think that is true. I'm sorry to say that I would be thanking Joe and wishing him well but it is time for the parting of the ways
I still feel for the lad and that Villa incident IMO as literally destroyed his confidence and I'm not sure how he will come back from it
For me I think Warbs as not handled him well, it was quite plain to see that he was struggling but yet he kept playing him, it is good to show faith and standby someone, but eventually you need to pull them away from the fire..............he did to an extent with Kelly but it was obvious that even in that decent spell after the first lockdown he wasn't the same keeper pre Villa
Feel for the young man but this is a professional sport and you need to be 100%
Dieng plays on 17:51 - Sep 26 with 2910 viewsGloucs_R

Thought he did well with crosses. Some of his distribution was a bit iffy but generally good.
Good start.

Lumley, don't like the club airing the excuses for him not playing. They did it several times which was a bit odd.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Dieng plays on 17:52 - Sep 26 with 2909 views100percent

solid performance from Dieng today. I'd start him from now on.
Login to get fewer ads

Dieng plays on 18:24 - Sep 26 with 2838 viewsfrancisbowles

Dieng plays on 17:51 - Sep 26 by Gloucs_R

Thought he did well with crosses. Some of his distribution was a bit iffy but generally good.
Good start.

Lumley, don't like the club airing the excuses for him not playing. They did it several times which was a bit odd.

We can't have it both ways, Gloucester. We want the club to be transparent and honest, so it's good to know what is going on.

There were some stream issues today and we lost commentary as well. I heard, "Joe Lumley is not playing today........ first time, so I was pleased he repeated it later.
Dieng plays on 18:28 - Sep 26 with 2810 viewsqpr_1968

Dieng plays on 17:26 - Sep 26 by gazza1

Shocked Dieng played but did well......

think you must have been the only one shocked he played.....your right, he did well.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Dieng plays on 18:38 - Sep 26 with 2766 viewsGloucs_R

Dieng plays on 18:24 - Sep 26 by francisbowles

We can't have it both ways, Gloucester. We want the club to be transparent and honest, so it's good to know what is going on.

There were some stream issues today and we lost commentary as well. I heard, "Joe Lumley is not playing today........ first time, so I was pleased he repeated it later.

No problems with them mentioning it. But I'm sure they said it three times, which I thought was a bit weird.

The club doth protest too much, methinks.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 21:44]

Dieng plays on 18:39 - Sep 26 with 2766 viewsdavman

Thought that he played well, but what must Liam Kelly be thinking right now? If Lumley signs, can't imagine Kelly staying or Lumley sitting on the bench.

If Seny stays #1, we'll have disgruntled #2s for various reasons. Best thing is to sell Lumley for whatever we can get for him OR if Lumley signs, sell Kelly...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dieng plays on 18:39 - Sep 26 with 2761 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Delighted for him today. A great moment for him.

I thought he did the basics very well and was very positive off his line. Distribution was mostly no-frills, as it should be on your debut when you have Dykes up front. The short kick-out to Amos was ill-advised, though.

I think the goal will be analysed by him and the goalie coaches, though. My gut feeling is that for a near post corner he should have got closer to his near post and out a yard to be in optimum position to parry the likely flick-on. His near post is wide open as he is centraI and his far post is open as he is on his line. I don't think it's an error in the end as I think it would have gone in regardless as it hit the base of the far post before going in. But, let's be truthful, if Lumley had that positioning today there's be a thread about it by now with lots of back and forth.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dieng plays on 21:42 - Sep 26 with 2560 viewsWokingham_r

For their goal Dieng was blocked off by one of their players - effectively on his toes. Stopped him coming to meet the cross.
I thought that they targeted him all game, having presumably thought that a "rookie" keeper could be intimidated into making mistakes.
Dieng plays on 21:54 - Sep 26 with 2499 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dieng plays on 21:42 - Sep 26 by Wokingham_r

For their goal Dieng was blocked off by one of their players - effectively on his toes. Stopped him coming to meet the cross.
I thought that they targeted him all game, having presumably thought that a "rookie" keeper could be intimidated into making mistakes.

Good spot, Wokingham. And you're right - they did. But he dealt with it very well all told.

My point was a very specific one and, as I said, I think the header was so well placed I don't think it could have been stopped anyway. I just think he should have been further forward and further out as a general rule.

Dieng plays on 22:08 - Sep 26 with 2456 viewsMyke

It would appear that Joe has no future at the club. It is not unusual for any player to be dropped if they suffer a prolonged lapse of form. But there four aspects to this which look ominous for Lumley.
(1) A clean sheet and not being directly culpable for the concession of any of the goals in game two, make that game TWO, hardly constitutes a 'prolonged' lapse of form on amy count.
(2) Usually when you are dropped, especially in the case of a keeper, you are relegated to the bench. Not to make the match day squad at all, doesn't bode well for Lumley, as in; If Dieng gets injured in the game,the management now trust Kelly to deputise more than Lumley
(3) Dieng has just signed a FOUR year contract. Pretty unprecedented in these uncertain, frugal times - a clear indication he is in our long-term plans.. If he got a two year deal, and was sent out on loan again, then you say the club is just protecting its assets and nothing much has changed. But a four year deal, starting the first match after he puts pen to paper and Joe banished from the squad entirely, again looks very ominous for Lumley.
(4) Lumley out of contract next year. It seems likely now that the club will cash in for a small fee (250-300,000) from a Championship or League 1 club. he may even be released on a free. I am not sure I agree with it, but probably best for player and club.
Finally, where this leaves Kelly is interesting, he had gone from being number 2 to Lumley, but with a decent shot at being reinstated as number 1, any given week. To being number 2 and destined to be for the foreseeable, behind Dieng. Wonder how he feels about that?
Dieng plays on 22:32 - Sep 26 with 2384 viewsterryb

Dieng plays on 22:08 - Sep 26 by Myke

It would appear that Joe has no future at the club. It is not unusual for any player to be dropped if they suffer a prolonged lapse of form. But there four aspects to this which look ominous for Lumley.
(1) A clean sheet and not being directly culpable for the concession of any of the goals in game two, make that game TWO, hardly constitutes a 'prolonged' lapse of form on amy count.
(2) Usually when you are dropped, especially in the case of a keeper, you are relegated to the bench. Not to make the match day squad at all, doesn't bode well for Lumley, as in; If Dieng gets injured in the game,the management now trust Kelly to deputise more than Lumley
(3) Dieng has just signed a FOUR year contract. Pretty unprecedented in these uncertain, frugal times - a clear indication he is in our long-term plans.. If he got a two year deal, and was sent out on loan again, then you say the club is just protecting its assets and nothing much has changed. But a four year deal, starting the first match after he puts pen to paper and Joe banished from the squad entirely, again looks very ominous for Lumley.
(4) Lumley out of contract next year. It seems likely now that the club will cash in for a small fee (250-300,000) from a Championship or League 1 club. he may even be released on a free. I am not sure I agree with it, but probably best for player and club.
Finally, where this leaves Kelly is interesting, he had gone from being number 2 to Lumley, but with a decent shot at being reinstated as number 1, any given week. To being number 2 and destined to be for the foreseeable, behind Dieng. Wonder how he feels about that?

I'm sure they said that contract negoiations with Lumley have broken down. I would have thought that meant that the club had offered Joe a new contract & he had refused it. This would mean his absence isn't down to any lapse of form. Prolonged or not.

If I was in his position, I wouldn't be confident that another club would be interested in me or that they would match the terms offered by Queens Park Rangers. Obviously, this is a gamble that he feels is worth taking.

Where this leaves Kelly is another matter, but at least he will be receiving income ntil his contract expires.

For what it's (not) worth, I think the club will now be playing their best goalkeeper, even though they have arrived at it in a roundabout way!
Dieng plays on 07:55 - Sep 27 with 2200 viewsGloucs_R

Dieng plays on 22:08 - Sep 26 by Myke

I don't know if any League 1 clubs have 250k to spend on an average keeper, when you can pick one up who is out of contract at the moment for free.

Likewise for the championship, if you're spending money this year, they need to get first choice. Joe would struggle based on last season.

Sounds more like the club creating noise.... We need to sell him as he's not signing a new contract.... Rather than, we need to sell him as he's not first choice and we've got another keeper as back up already.

Think he'll go on a free with a sell on fee included.

Dieng plays on 08:58 - Sep 27 with 2082 viewsgolborne

“Finally, where this leaves Kelly is interesting, he had gone from being number 2 to Lumley, but with a decent shot at being reinstated as number 1, any given week. To being number 2 and destined to be for the foreseeable, behind Dieng. Wonder how he feels about that?”

It leaves him wishing he was at least 2-3 inches taller. Sorry, I can’t be having a keeper that’s signed because of his distribution. He ain’t a bad keeper at all, but too many times last season I was left thinking if he had another 2-3 inches reach he probably saves it. Also, no command of the area at set pieces. That coupled with the outfield players still doing a good job at making set pieces look like a good opportunity to have a rest (step forward mr Wallace for this weeks award) is a recipe for disaster
Dieng plays on 10:35 - Sep 27 with 1932 viewsbakerloo8

Think Kelly has to take a leaf out of Radek Cernys book and get used to being paid for being a Professional number 2. He had his crack at the number 1 jersey and unfortunately was not up to it, if he can keep his head down and not sulk he could be a decent back up.

Lumley clearly fancies himself and dont think he will stand for being permanent number 2 here. He probably has to go, maybe to a league 1 team to get his career back on track. Good luck to him if he goes.
Dieng plays on 11:46 - Sep 27 with 1846 viewsderbyhoop

Because he is (still) an asset and, if we decide to sell him, we want to get as much as we possibly can.
Even so, I don't see why we need 3 keepers of similar ages and abilities.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dieng plays on 13:20 - Sep 27 with 1762 viewsgazza1

Dieng plays on 18:28 - Sep 26 by qpr_1968

think you must have been the only one shocked he played.....your right, he did well.

Funny that.....I would suggest that most R's fans did not see Dieng starting ahead of the 2 established keepers. But hey, you thought he would start all along - fair play to you.
Dieng plays on 15:02 - Sep 27 with 1683 viewsHayesender

Lumley and Manning are best mates at the club, think they even live together.

Wonder if they've got the same agent? 🤔

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Dieng plays on 18:41 - Sep 27 with 1553 viewsfrancisbowles

Dieng plays on 15:02 - Sep 27 by Hayesender

Lumley and Manning are best mates at the club, think they even live together.

Wonder if they've got the same agent? 🤔

I don't mean to jump on the anti Lumley bandwagon but after the disaster of a season he had last year and then having regained his place and been pretty average, I am surprised to think he will get a better deal at the same level elsewhere, especially with the Covid situation. I would be even more surprised if anyone was prepared to pay much if anything for him.
Dieng plays on 19:12 - Sep 27 with 1519 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is he our first Swiss footballer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024