Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts 10:05 - Oct 4 with 3901 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/1004/1408882-uk-and-ireland-set-to-be-confi
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 10:11 - Oct 4 with 2775 viewsMalintabuk

That is amazing and good news. What with countries pulling out of the commonwealth games, I did wonder if it would have an effect on hosting "larger" events.
Good also to see the link up with Ireland, it would be there one chance to stage an event like this so wish them well
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 10:14 - Oct 4 with 2715 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Sole bidder? I'm surprised Michelle Mone hasn't submitted a bid yet.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 10:24 - Oct 4 with 2739 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It's coming home (and away)!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 10:41 - Oct 4 with 2698 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Some bigger stadiums missing which is a shame, but it’s about TV income and not getting as many people as possible to games isn’t it.

Looking forward to it nonetheless.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 2654 viewsMrSheen

Sorry, a joint bid from Turkey and Italy???? No doubt the "greenest tournament ever".

Dreadful lost opportunity to overlook Semple Stadium, the true home of Irish sport (and so central).
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:30 - Oct 4 with 2621 viewsAntti_Heinola

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 10:41 - Oct 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

Some bigger stadiums missing which is a shame, but it’s about TV income and not getting as many people as possible to games isn’t it.

Looking forward to it nonetheless.

I'd be fairly surprised if the Everton stadium is ready by then. Is that all systems go?

Bare bones.

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:43 - Oct 4 with 2592 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:30 - Oct 4 by Antti_Heinola

I'd be fairly surprised if the Everton stadium is ready by then. Is that all systems go?

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3716064/major-changes-across-stadium-site

Looks like it's progressing. Due for completion before the end of next year. I'd be more worried about Casement Park.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 12:46 - Oct 4 with 2495 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:43 - Oct 4 by Padulas_Shampoo

Looks like it's progressing. Due for completion before the end of next year. I'd be more worried about Casement Park.

Casement Park is named after Roger Casement, a Dubliner who initially supported British Imperialist rule over ireland, accepted a knighthood from the British, then joined the Gaelic League, an Irish language and cultural revival movemernt, joined Sinn Féin with both he and that party graduating from non-violence to violence, fundraised for weapons in America, worked with the Germans during the First World War to smuggle arms into Ireland to be used in a rebellion against the British, was captured, tried for treason in London and executed by hanging.

And now, the Gaelic Association stadium named after him, located in oft-troubled Belfast will be part-host to an International soccer tournament co-hosted by Ireland and Britain.

Don't ever let anyone tell us that change is not possible, that wounds do not heal, that progress is not all around us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 13:19 - Oct 4 with 2449 viewsPeterHucker

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:43 - Oct 4 by Padulas_Shampoo

I was up by the new Everton stadium a couple of weekends ago. Looks like it’s progressing very quickly. Everton will be playing there from summer 2025.

Maybe we’ll get them in the opening League fixture? (Only joking, there’s no way we’ll still be in the Championship by then
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 13:30 - Oct 4 with 2415 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 12:46 - Oct 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Casement Park is named after Roger Casement, a Dubliner who initially supported British Imperialist rule over ireland, accepted a knighthood from the British, then joined the Gaelic League, an Irish language and cultural revival movemernt, joined Sinn Féin with both he and that party graduating from non-violence to violence, fundraised for weapons in America, worked with the Germans during the First World War to smuggle arms into Ireland to be used in a rebellion against the British, was captured, tried for treason in London and executed by hanging.

And now, the Gaelic Association stadium named after him, located in oft-troubled Belfast will be part-host to an International soccer tournament co-hosted by Ireland and Britain.

Don't ever let anyone tell us that change is not possible, that wounds do not heal, that progress is not all around us.

Wonder who Roger will be cheering for if England, Germany, Norn Ireland and the Republic make the semis?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 13:39 - Oct 4 with 2408 viewselnombre

Hmm, doesn't the GAA still bar a large section of the population of the North..?

Cricketers, that is. (Clive breathes a sigh of relief).

I do recall they were pretty grudging about allowing Liam Miller's testimonial at Cork not so long ago though (extra marks if you saw Miller play in 'proper' hoops...), so indeed, great to see old attitudes set aside - football at a GAA stadium funded by the UK govt?!

I always liked the idea that they viewed chess as a Gaelic sport too.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 14:49 - Oct 4 with 2327 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 13:39 - Oct 4 by elnombre

Hmm, doesn't the GAA still bar a large section of the population of the North..?

Cricketers, that is. (Clive breathes a sigh of relief).

I do recall they were pretty grudging about allowing Liam Miller's testimonial at Cork not so long ago though (extra marks if you saw Miller play in 'proper' hoops...), so indeed, great to see old attitudes set aside - football at a GAA stadium funded by the UK govt?!

I always liked the idea that they viewed chess as a Gaelic sport too.

"doesn't the GAA still bar a large section of the population of the North..?"

Not sure, elnombre. The Ban is long gone.

The Liam Miller fiasco was very poor. The GAA rules at the time didn't allow for competing sports to be played on pitches apart from Croke Park. To change that needed a change in Congress. But the GAA didn't communicate that quickly enough. They ended up bending their own rules to host the match and people got hurt in the meantime, inlding Liam miller's family, who are all GAA members themselves. Very poor.

But, as you say, progress, progress, porogress.

What's the story with chess?

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:08 - Oct 4 with 2289 viewsMrSheen

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 14:49 - Oct 4 by BrianMcCarthy

"doesn't the GAA still bar a large section of the population of the North..?"

Not sure, elnombre. The Ban is long gone.

The Liam Miller fiasco was very poor. The GAA rules at the time didn't allow for competing sports to be played on pitches apart from Croke Park. To change that needed a change in Congress. But the GAA didn't communicate that quickly enough. They ended up bending their own rules to host the match and people got hurt in the meantime, inlding Liam miller's family, who are all GAA members themselves. Very poor.

But, as you say, progress, progress, porogress.

What's the story with chess?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport-columnists/arid-30885648.html#:~:text=Morris
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:15 - Oct 4 with 2274 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:08 - Oct 4 by MrSheen

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport-columnists/arid-30885648.html#:~:text=Morris

I'm locked out of d'Paper Sheen, sorry.

I'll do some googling. This sounds like the kind of story I love!

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:23 - Oct 4 with 2248 viewsMrSheen

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:15 - Oct 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm locked out of d'Paper Sheen, sorry.

I'll do some googling. This sounds like the kind of story I love!

A. Morrison Miller was the first proponent of the idea/truth.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:34 - Oct 4 with 2243 viewsToast_R

So how will this work in terms of England, Scotland, NI, Wales & RoI all qualifying automatically?
That's a bit of a piss take.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:38 - Oct 4 with 2239 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:34 - Oct 4 by Toast_R

So how will this work in terms of England, Scotland, NI, Wales & RoI all qualifying automatically?

To be fair, I think the majority of Euro nations are in it already aren’t they?

Edit: 24 / 55 are
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 15:51]
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:53 - Oct 4 with 2198 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Got this sent to me earlier, Toast.

"Uefa would like England, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales to go through the standard qualifying process for the tournament, with two host nation places kept open for any teams that fail to qualify. If more than two fail to qualify, the two best-performing nations would go through."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/04/uk-and-ireland-set-to-host-euro

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 16:01 - Oct 4 with 2170 viewsCamberleyR

They'll probably have to ridiculously make it a 32 team tournament whereby it'll be harder not to qualify.

[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 16:03]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 16:03 - Oct 4 with 2162 viewsLongsufferingR

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:53 - Oct 4 by BrianMcCarthy

"Uefa would like England, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales to go through the standard qualifying process for the tournament, with two host nation places kept open for any teams that fail to qualify. If more than two fail to qualify, the two best-performing nations would go through."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/04/uk-and-ireland-set-to-host-euro

VAR to decide with two qualifying.

So that's England, ROI and Wales through. Oh fk, delay, delay, delay.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 16:05 - Oct 4 with 2124 viewsMatch82

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:53 - Oct 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Sounds like best case scenario to me. We have meaningful games rather than just friendlies, but if the worst happens we qualify anyway
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 00:27 - Oct 5 with 1921 viewsManinBlack

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 11:01 - Oct 4 by MrSheen

Sorry, a joint bid from Turkey and Italy???? No doubt the "greenest tournament ever".

Dreadful lost opportunity to overlook Semple Stadium, the true home of Irish sport (and so central).

Never mind any green or environment agenda, the 2030 World Cup will be held in Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile. Lots of flying around for fans no doubt with this new concept of sharing tournaments between different countries.
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:48 - Oct 5 with 1712 viewsNewBee

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:08 - Oct 4 by MrSheen

Chess, wrote Miller, is the “king of intellectual games”, “it was invented in Ireland in 1430 BC… and it is believed that the 32 pieces, which comprise the set, were made to represent the 32 counties [of Ireland].”

Er, the concept of the County as an administrative division wasn't introduced in Ireland until the 13th century AD. By the English.

Another little-known fact which I've just made up is that Miller was the inspiration for the "Thick Paddy" jokes which originated around the time he wrote the above.

(I say "made up", but it has more chance of being true than his load of old cac)

P.S. Thanks to Mr.Sheen for the reference.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 15:50]
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:55 - Oct 5 with 1687 viewsMrSheen

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:48 - Oct 5 by NewBee

Chess, wrote Miller, is the “king of intellectual games”, “it was invented in Ireland in 1430 BC… and it is believed that the 32 pieces, which comprise the set, were made to represent the 32 counties [of Ireland].”

Er, the concept of the County as an administrative division wasn't introduced in Ireland until the 13th century AD. By the English.

Another little-known fact which I've just made up is that Miller was the inspiration for the "Thick Paddy" jokes which originated around the time he wrote the above.

(I say "made up", but it has more chance of being true than his load of old cac)

P.S. Thanks to Mr.Sheen for the reference.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 15:50]

Don’t “thick…” jokes exist in every culture?
Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 16:07 - Oct 5 with 1666 viewsNewBee

Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland Hosts on 15:55 - Oct 5 by MrSheen

Don’t “thick…” jokes exist in every culture?

Probably. Though the Irish are no more - or less - thick than people everywhere.

Except for the ones in Kerry who, if brains were dynamite, couldn't muster enough to blow their nose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024