Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's goals on Sky 20:18 - Aug 31 with 3265 viewsbosh67

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/

Hugill is our new Charlie Austin but that pass from Wells to set him up for the first was pure Don Masson. Sumptuous.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Today's goals on Sky on 20:52 - Aug 31 with 2700 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I've decided to try not to watch these anymore. Probably watch Quest later. Otherwise just waiting for the joyous LFW report. Not exactly a protest. Just a bit fed up with SKY.

You Rrrrs
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 20:52]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Today's goals on Sky on 22:51 - Aug 31 with 2484 viewsFDC

Delicious
Today's goals on Sky on 10:23 - Sep 2 with 2102 viewsMick_S

The way he put the ball through the two Wednesday players before making that pass. Sexy football.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Today's goals on Sky on 10:56 - Sep 2 with 2069 viewsDavieQPR

That overhead flick from Rangel to set Wells up was pretty sumptuous as well.
Today's goals on Sky on 13:15 - Sep 2 with 1990 viewsPinnerPaul

Today's goals on Sky on 20:52 - Aug 31 by CliveWilsonSaid

I've decided to try not to watch these anymore. Probably watch Quest later. Otherwise just waiting for the joyous LFW report. Not exactly a protest. Just a bit fed up with SKY.

You Rrrrs
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 20:52]

I never watch them - prefer the 10 - 15 min version on the offy.

If we win or draw then I'll watch the 90' through - doing that this afternoon.
Today's goals on Sky on 13:28 - Sep 2 with 1970 viewsTonto

I know this is a bit old school, but Hugill was 100% offside (IMO) for the second. He gains a massive advantage. if someone scored that against us I would be livid. the modern rules are stupid.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Today's goals on Sky on 13:35 - Sep 2 with 1948 viewsBoston

Today's goals on Sky on 13:28 - Sep 2 by Tonto

I know this is a bit old school, but Hugill was 100% offside (IMO) for the second. He gains a massive advantage. if someone scored that against us I would be livid. the modern rules are stupid.

So he's not offside then, because whatever game you play you can only do so with the rules.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Today's goals on Sky on 13:42 - Sep 2 with 1932 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Today's goals on Sky on 13:15 - Sep 2 by PinnerPaul

I never watch them - prefer the 10 - 15 min version on the offy.

If we win or draw then I'll watch the 90' through - doing that this afternoon.

Yes I’ve watched the extended highlights twice today already.

Both goals are excellent. Second goal all about Manning for me. Excellent control and turn from the throw out. Nice exchange through the middle then puts it on a plate for Hugill.

I struggle with the new offside rules too but in this case Hugill was definitely onside. Definitely!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Today's goals on Sky on 13:47 - Sep 2 with 1926 viewsW7Ranger

Would you be saying the same thing if Hugill was the same yard or two past the last defender on the other side of the pitch no where near the ball when Chair plays Manning in?

The only reason this is a talking point is because for a split second he goes for Chairs pass before realising it was actually intended for Manning and that if he continued to go for it he'd be offside. It's clever play at the end of the day, like any other type of clever play you can get during a game that can work to your advantage, and is perfectly within the laws of the game and has been for years.

Henry (Thierry, not Karl!) worked this out years ago and was well known for standing in offside positions to gain an advantage as the passage of play would be no where near him and therefore he would not be offside. If you're an intelligent enough player, you can use it to your advantage, as Henry did many times.

It's Wednesdays defence fault for not stopping the ball to Manning, or not trapping Manning offside - not because we've cheated or the linesman/ref got it wrong.
Today's goals on Sky on 13:52 - Sep 2 with 1917 viewsMick_S

I know this is a reverse - the ball came in from the left - but this diagram shows an offside. This is very similar to what I saw for our second on Saturday.

Very confusing.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 13:52]

Today's goals on Sky on 14:21 - Sep 2 with 1868 viewsstevec

Today's goals on Sky on 13:47 - Sep 2 by W7Ranger

Would you be saying the same thing if Hugill was the same yard or two past the last defender on the other side of the pitch no where near the ball when Chair plays Manning in?

The only reason this is a talking point is because for a split second he goes for Chairs pass before realising it was actually intended for Manning and that if he continued to go for it he'd be offside. It's clever play at the end of the day, like any other type of clever play you can get during a game that can work to your advantage, and is perfectly within the laws of the game and has been for years.

Henry (Thierry, not Karl!) worked this out years ago and was well known for standing in offside positions to gain an advantage as the passage of play would be no where near him and therefore he would not be offside. If you're an intelligent enough player, you can use it to your advantage, as Henry did many times.

It's Wednesdays defence fault for not stopping the ball to Manning, or not trapping Manning offside - not because we've cheated or the linesman/ref got it wrong.

Fair play to the linesman for following the rule correctly. Their job has become infinitely more difficult hanging on to see whether the forward is actively going for the ball whilst the crowd are giving them earache expecting offside.
Today's goals on Sky on 14:24 - Sep 2 with 1865 viewsAntti_Heinola

They're not - the old rules (laws) were.

Offside is really only there so that the game isn't completely stretched, but over the years it became a major tactic to defend by playing offside, which was dull, boring and not much good for entertainment and goals would be chalked off for ludicrous reasons that had nothing to do with why the offside law existed.

The new laws redressed this balance and while it can be annoying for defenders, it really only catches them out for being a bit lazy and not tracking their men. The game is far better for it, even if it is complex.

Bare bones.

Today's goals on Sky on 14:27 - Sep 2 with 1861 viewsMick_S

Today's goals on Sky on 14:24 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Offside is really only there so that the game isn't completely stretched, but over the years it became a major tactic to defend by playing offside, which was dull, boring and not much good for entertainment and goals would be chalked off for ludicrous reasons that had nothing to do with why the offside law existed.

The new laws redressed this balance and while it can be annoying for defenders, it really only catches them out for being a bit lazy and not tracking their men. The game is far better for it, even if it is complex.

So, is my carefully drawn diagram above now obsolete? Have I wasted my time?

Today's goals on Sky on 14:31 - Sep 2 with 1852 viewsBoston

Today's goals on Sky on 14:27 - Sep 2 by Mick_S

So, is my carefully drawn diagram above now obsolete? Have I wasted my time?

yes

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Today's goals on Sky on 14:40 - Sep 2 with 1833 viewsRs_Holy

Today's goals on Sky on 22:51 - Aug 31 by FDC

Delicious

mouth watering
Today's goals on Sky on 15:32 - Sep 2 with 1759 viewsthame_hoops

Lumley dives way too early for that PK
Today's goals on Sky on 18:54 - Sep 2 with 1622 viewsMatch82

Today's goals on Sky on 14:24 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

It isn't offside but feels like it should be.
Fair play to Hugill for taking advantage but it does feel like the office role still isn't working what it needs to be
Today's goals on Sky on 20:55 - Sep 2 with 1548 viewskensalriser

I had to watch that goal several times before I figured out it was the correct decision. But Manning wasn’t offside and neither was Hugill when he received the ball. As being in an offside position isn’t an offence, for those who think Hugill was offside, when should the ref have blown and why?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Today's goals on Sky on 02:54 - Sep 3 with 1409 viewsMatch82

Today's goals on Sky on 20:55 - Sep 2 by kensalriser

I had to watch that goal several times before I figured out it was the correct decision. But Manning wasn’t offside and neither was Hugill when he received the ball. As being in an offside position isn’t an offence, for those who think Hugill was offside, when should the ref have blown and why?

By the laws of the game he wasn't. But personally I would prefer a version of the rule where he is offside - or at least when it happens against us!

Haven't watched it back but if I recall correctly he never gets back in an "onside" position relative to the defender - he's not offside at the end because he was behind the ball when it was played across.

So to answer the question - I'd have him as offside when he touches the ball if he's never got himself back onside again
Today's goals on Sky on 09:10 - Sep 3 with 1310 viewsMick_S

Today's goals on Sky on 02:54 - Sep 3 by Match82

By the laws of the game he wasn't. But personally I would prefer a version of the rule where he is offside - or at least when it happens against us!

Haven't watched it back but if I recall correctly he never gets back in an "onside" position relative to the defender - he's not offside at the end because he was behind the ball when it was played across.

So to answer the question - I'd have him as offside when he touches the ball if he's never got himself back onside again

Match - I think he was in front of the ball when it was crossed. This is what I'm struggling with.

Today's goals on Sky on 10:02 - Sep 3 with 1267 viewsW7Ranger

Today's goals on Sky on 09:10 - Sep 3 by Mick_S

Match - I think he was in front of the ball when it was crossed. This is what I'm struggling with.

Hugill is behind Manning when Manning crosses in.

And the Wednesday player nearest to Manning plays Hugill onside anyway when he crosses in.

So nothing wrong with the goal at all.
Today's goals on Sky on 10:08 - Sep 3 with 1260 viewsMick_S

Today's goals on Sky on 10:02 - Sep 3 by W7Ranger

Hugill is behind Manning when Manning crosses in.

And the Wednesday player nearest to Manning plays Hugill onside anyway when he crosses in.

So nothing wrong with the goal at all.

Got it - ta. I thought Hugill was in front of Manning - hence my confusion. I think.

Today's goals on Sky on 13:25 - Sep 3 with 1176 viewsTonto

as the person who started all this "offside" debate, can I just clarify:

I know it wasn't offside under the current interpretation of the law. What I am saying is that the law is (IMO) stupid. That is 2 different things.

Hugill is offside when the ball is played to Manning. He goes towards the ball, then puts his hands up and veers away from it to say "I'm not going for it". I accept that Manning's cross is behind him, meaning that by the time Hugill gets the ball and scores he is now "on-side".

But when the ball was played through to Manning he has gained a 2-3 metre advantage over the defenders at this time. Unless Usain Bolt starts playing again, no one is going to catch him. therefore IMO he has gained an advantage by being offside at this point, which he carries over to the point he scores. That doesn't feel right to me.

I accept that the old offside trap laws could lead to dull footy, but at least as a defender you knew where you were!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Today's goals on Sky on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 1098 viewsPinnerPaul

As I have explained you need to read the definition of 'gaining an advantage' in the laws.

In fact in the additional notes to the laws this exact situation is illustrated as an example of NOT offside
Today's goals on Sky on 15:40 - Sep 3 with 1090 viewsPinnerPaul

Today's goals on Sky on 13:52 - Sep 2 by Mick_S

I know this is a reverse - the ball came in from the left - but this diagram shows an offside. This is very similar to what I saw for our second on Saturday.

Very confusing.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 13:52]

That shows a blue player in an offside position.

BUT as I have pointed out - 1st line from the offside law is 'It is NOT an offence to be in an offside position'

If you don't play the ball, attempt to play the ball, prevent an opponent from playing the ball or stand in the GK's line of vision then you are not penalised for being in an offside position.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024