Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bar access 15:52 - Aug 12 with 34145 viewsrochdaleriddler

Sandy laners not allowed to have a pint at half time, but main stand is??

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Bar access on 21:18 - Aug 15 with 2540 viewsfitzochris

I left the town in 2003. I left not to get away but to take the only sports journalism job available to me at that time. I'd been away before, to uni, but I was never so far away that I couldn't visit on a whim, and I was back every weekend for the football anyway.

This was different, though. I kind of knew this would be permanent. Knowing I couldn't watch Dale every weekend was a horrible feeling (and we were shite at that point). Leaving my friends and family was gutting n'all.

I get back often enough that Rochdale isn't a faded memory to me, but being away and coming back allows me to the see the town more reflectively. I even wrote a blog about it once. That was fun

Bottom line is, there are nice bits and there are shite bits. Same as any town. Cos I'm from Dale, though, I feel more entitled to comment on the nice bits and the bad bits. There is a very real effort to sort the town centre out at the minute, and that's to be applauded, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Every time I'm back drinking around my old haunts, such as on Saturday there, I'm amazed at the amount of people who claim they want to leave the town for what I can only describe as racist reasons. Nothing to do with it being a shithole, but more to do with ethnic minorities moving into "their area". I find that attitude more jaw dropping than anything.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bar access on 21:53 - Aug 15 with 2453 viewskiwidale

Bar access on 21:18 - Aug 15 by fitzochris

I left the town in 2003. I left not to get away but to take the only sports journalism job available to me at that time. I'd been away before, to uni, but I was never so far away that I couldn't visit on a whim, and I was back every weekend for the football anyway.

This was different, though. I kind of knew this would be permanent. Knowing I couldn't watch Dale every weekend was a horrible feeling (and we were shite at that point). Leaving my friends and family was gutting n'all.

I get back often enough that Rochdale isn't a faded memory to me, but being away and coming back allows me to the see the town more reflectively. I even wrote a blog about it once. That was fun

Bottom line is, there are nice bits and there are shite bits. Same as any town. Cos I'm from Dale, though, I feel more entitled to comment on the nice bits and the bad bits. There is a very real effort to sort the town centre out at the minute, and that's to be applauded, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Every time I'm back drinking around my old haunts, such as on Saturday there, I'm amazed at the amount of people who claim they want to leave the town for what I can only describe as racist reasons. Nothing to do with it being a shithole, but more to do with ethnic minorities moving into "their area". I find that attitude more jaw dropping than anything.

I left Rochdale late july1978 with my two young daughters so you could say I left for family reasons. It took me several years (maybe 10) to get over the pain of leaving behind all that I knew. I have never been back raising a family on one income back then wouldn't allow it. I'm now in a position to do so (just waiting for sponsorship like that Spanish lad) but I'm put off because of the fear I will be disappointed with the changes, maybe the town I knew isn't the same, what I'm looking for is just a memory? a bit like longing for an old girlfriend only to find out shes now old n fat with teeth like a witch doctors necklace. I remember back then before internet going into browns bays TV shop and getting the salesman (Barnsley fan) to turn on teletext only to see Orient 7-1 Dale. Same thing every week, he thought I suffered from tourettes as each defeat was accompanied by my utterance "shit f*ck arseholes"
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 23:45]

This is not the time for bickering.

Bar access on 21:54 - Aug 15 with 2448 viewsdownunder

Bar access on 21:18 - Aug 15 by fitzochris

Well said sir. Although I question if memories do fade?
Some people live in the town and slag it, others don't.
Also as Diddy Dave says, Daleys/English/British are known for their self depreciating humour. It may be a "sh*thole", but it is my "sh*ithole". It has been a few years since I have been home, it is a long way, expensive, and hard to fit into the work I do, but a trip is planned for next year. I cannot come soon enough for some of the events planned. Seeing friends, visiting my old "haunts", the new developments in town, and of course, seeing a proper football match, but there are definitely going to be negatives. I read a lot of the media pages, written by locals, that point out the bad things about the town. It seems they will be unavoidable, and if true I will comment, just like most other "boring old farts" that hanker for how things used to be.
Bar access on 22:11 - Aug 15 with 2409 viewsPhil

Bar access on 21:12 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

It was aimed at Phil, who started the ball rolling and so far the response demonstrates nothing more than that Rochdale is on the up, which makes his comments not only unwelcome but inaccurate

You'll notice i've been at pains to mention honourable exceptions such as downunder, and probably yourself if you'd simply read what i've said

Actually it was R17 who got the ball rolling advising people who'd moved away from Rochdale to (quote) fook off, if they dared to denegrate their former home.

I'm happy to see so many people defend their town. For me, a nice lake doesn't make up for years of neglect, notorious estates, crime, poverty, sex scandals and boarded up shops.

I'm shutting up now cos I have no desire to upset people who have a geniune love for their town. Respect to you all. Just maybe once again this forum has shown it has no time for contrary opinion.
Bar access on 22:22 - Aug 15 with 2368 viewsJames1980

I am completely ignorant regards your fine town. However I have heard that the tram has been detrimental to the towns nightlife. How true is that?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Bar access on 22:24 - Aug 15 with 2360 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 22:22 - Aug 15 by James1980

I am completely ignorant regards your fine town. However I have heard that the tram has been detrimental to the towns nightlife. How true is that?

Where have you heard that?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:25 - Aug 15 with 2359 viewsJames1980

Bar access on 22:27 - Aug 15 with 2353 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 22:11 - Aug 15 by Phil

Actually it was R17 who got the ball rolling advising people who'd moved away from Rochdale to (quote) fook off, if they dared to denegrate their former home.

I'm happy to see so many people defend their town. For me, a nice lake doesn't make up for years of neglect, notorious estates, crime, poverty, sex scandals and boarded up shops.

I'm shutting up now cos I have no desire to upset people who have a geniune love for their town. Respect to you all. Just maybe once again this forum has shown it has no time for contrary opinion.

If a contrary opinion can be backed up with fair facts, it can't be disputed

The simple fact is, Rochdale of course has it's areas where things have been allowed to sink to an unacceptably low level (i'm talking in economic and social terms, nothing else), but point me in the direction of any post-industrial town and you'll see similar and possibly even worse areas

Therefore, your opinions aren't based on a fair assessment of where we are, and fail to take the significant efforts at improvement into account

Further, your terminology of Rochdale as a "shithole" - yes, it's possible to spell it out properly - is unnecessarily derogatory and inflammatory (the barrrow/barca comparison, tic or not, didn't help either)

As SuddenLad pointed out, it's time to stop using this term

You're more than welcome to dispute the above

[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 22:28]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Bar access on 22:27 - Aug 15 with 2350 viewsTVOS1907

An opinion will be agreed with or disagreed with. It doesn't mean one can't be expressed.

Bar access on 22:36 - Aug 15 with 2319 viewsnordenblue

Without dissecting every part of your posts,your last point about "this forum has no time for contrary opinions" simply isn't true...... many people come on here with differing views and argue their corner without the need to take it too far.

You'll find posting on here to call the town others rightly/wrongly still love a shit hole will always be met with fire,that's hardly a surprise.....
Bar access on 22:48 - Aug 15 with 2286 viewsJames1980

Bar access on 22:24 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Where have you heard that?

A mate knows the area and said Rochdale was a great night out until the tram.

Bar access on 22:54 - Aug 15 with 2281 viewsKenBoon

Bar access on 22:22 - Aug 15 by James1980

Unless Oldham is the mecca of nightlife (certainly it hasn't since the heyday of The Hitman and Her) then no sane person would take a tram from Rochdale to Manchester. Even lazy f**ks like me would walk up the hill and get on the train.

I don't venture into the town centre often as I don't live there anymore, but when I was last there it seemed quiet but much improved. It smelt quite strongly of marijuana too.
Bar access on 22:54 - Aug 15 with 2281 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 22:48 - Aug 15 by James1980

A mate knows the area and said Rochdale was a great night out until the tram.

Is he called Tazzy?

Bar access on 23:11 - Aug 15 with 2248 viewsJames1980

Bar access on 22:54 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Is he called Tazzy?

He is not, you are not going to like this but he also said people venture to Bury due to the tram

Bar access on 23:19 - Aug 15 with 2229 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 23:11 - Aug 15 by James1980

He is not, you are not going to like this but he also said people venture to Bury due to the tram

Really? Have they got all night to get there that way?

Bar access on 00:33 - Aug 16 with 2174 viewsJames1980

Bar access on 23:19 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Really? Have they got all night to get there that way?

As previously stated I know nothing about this and many other matters. I was just interested whether by friend's assertion that Rochdale's night life is less bustling than it use to be

Bar access on 00:49 - Aug 16 with 2168 viewsAtThePeake

Bar access on 00:33 - Aug 16 by James1980

As previously stated I know nothing about this and many other matters. I was just interested whether by friend's assertion that Rochdale's night life is less bustling than it use to be

I don't know what people he knows, but I'd suggest he suggests to those people that they jump on the 471 across to Bury (which has been in operation for as long as I can remember) as that will take about 30-40 minutes max, rather than upwards of 90 minutes like the tram into Manchester and then back to Bury takes.

Tangled up in blue.

Bar access on 01:07 - Aug 16 with 2151 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 00:33 - Aug 16 by James1980

Well of course you might not know, but if your friend was so well up on what is and isn't happening in the town centre because of the tram, then he would also know the tram doesn't go from Rochdale to Bury.

In fact, why would he mention Bury at all when somewhere like Oldham would be more obvious?

Bar access on 07:55 - Aug 16 with 2051 viewsrochedale

I think the progression of the town centre is clear to see for everyone. People didn't half have a winge over the opening of the river, but it has certainly transformed that area, for the better.

The planned shopping area will also improve the look of the centre and should offer more choice of outlets both retail and leisure.

There are more bars in the town now and I believe the nightlife is improving. I personally have not had a night out in Rochdale for 10 years (apart from the Feelgood Festivals) due to the lack of decent establishments (there's only the Flyer and LaMancha I would've visited), but may be tempted in the near future. The only thing that would possibly prevent me from visiting is the fact that nights out are limited due to babysitters and living next to the train station which can take us directly to the city centre.

I was asked by an elderly lady on Saturday to sign a petition to save the 7 Sisters, I had to decline, LCB to the amazement of said lady. I believe demolishing them will give further opportunity to improve the centre.

Overall, there's only one direction the town is heading...

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Bar access on 09:40 - Aug 16 with 1965 viewsrochdaleriddler

Bar access on 16:22 - Aug 15 by RAFCBLUE

http://www.ratcliffebars.co.uk/

Ratcliffe bar website says the capacity of the function room only 500. If that's the official declared capacity for licencing then that will be part of the problem even though I've seen more than 500 people in there myself on occassions.

Can't see a simple way around this problem when you have to think that the bury game will have a near on full main stand and fairly full Sandy so more than potentially 500.

I can see how you would address it by only allowing access from the main stand on a one in one out basis (once the 500 is reached) but opening that gate does create the Safety Officer a problem and as other have said, he/she is the one legally responsible if there is an issue.

Main stand was full on Saturday , very few went to bar at half time, imagine that has always been the case, the safety concerns are based on the false premise that half the main stand will go for a pint, and that when they come back those sneaky sandy laners will be in their seats

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Bar access on 10:31 - Aug 16 with 1906 viewsRAFCBLUE

Bar access on 09:40 - Aug 16 by rochdaleriddler

Main stand was full on Saturday , very few went to bar at half time, imagine that has always been the case, the safety concerns are based on the false premise that half the main stand will go for a pint, and that when they come back those sneaky sandy laners will be in their seats

You might be right on that and if that is the case, its a very easy thing to solve.

I went to a neutral game at Exeter last season and the excellent Centrespot real ale bar there both before the game and at half time. My ticket was checked by a steward as I came into the stand for both halves to make sure I should be there. No fuss and that stand was completely full given the Exeter playoff push at the time.

Combine that check with the one 442Dale describes for keeping the capacity under the 500 and you're someway to a solution. However it does require good proactive stewarding and an acceptance that if the demand is greater than 500 then either a queuing systems operates or the excess is turned away.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Bar access on 10:46 - Aug 16 with 1885 viewsKenBoon

Bar access on 07:55 - Aug 16 by rochedale

I think the progression of the town centre is clear to see for everyone. People didn't half have a winge over the opening of the river, but it has certainly transformed that area, for the better.

The planned shopping area will also improve the look of the centre and should offer more choice of outlets both retail and leisure.

There are more bars in the town now and I believe the nightlife is improving. I personally have not had a night out in Rochdale for 10 years (apart from the Feelgood Festivals) due to the lack of decent establishments (there's only the Flyer and LaMancha I would've visited), but may be tempted in the near future. The only thing that would possibly prevent me from visiting is the fact that nights out are limited due to babysitters and living next to the train station which can take us directly to the city centre.

I was asked by an elderly lady on Saturday to sign a petition to save the 7 Sisters, I had to decline, LCB to the amazement of said lady. I believe demolishing them will give further opportunity to improve the centre.

Overall, there's only one direction the town is heading...

I agree about college bank. They need to go. I believe they're not particularly nice to live in. Also they've become the default image of Rochdale when reporting news. Demolishing them wouldn't solve the root problems, but it'd further improve the town centre, provide better living conditions and remove an eyesore.
Bar access on 10:46 - Aug 16 with 1880 viewsjudd

Bar access on 18:03 - Aug 15 by Bobbyjoe

Whilst it may be that TVOS does live more to the manor born, as befits his status, than we hoi polloi, even those of us confined to an area close to the ground, now "ruined" by "immigrants" have the consolation not only of friendly neighbours, but the various delights of Lenny Barn, Falinge Park and Healey Dell all within a short walk. You may, if you're lucky, see kingfishers from Spotland Bridge on your way to the ground; you'll certainly be unlucky not to see grey wagtails and dippers if you linger for any length of time. All in all, our much-maligned town has more to reccommend it than many an ignorant observer gives credit for.

Indeed Bobby Joe. I have spent many a happy hour observing pairs of Great Tits in our borough. Although the town centre does have a periodic problem with dippers.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bar access on 12:34 - Aug 16 with 1732 viewsBobbyjoe

Bar access on 10:46 - Aug 16 by judd

Indeed Bobby Joe. I have spent many a happy hour observing pairs of Great Tits in our borough. Although the town centre does have a periodic problem with dippers.

Judd, you never disappoint!
Bar access on 12:55 - Aug 16 with 1693 viewsJames1980

Bar access on 01:07 - Aug 16 by TVOS1907

Well of course you might not know, but if your friend was so well up on what is and isn't happening in the town centre because of the tram, then he would also know the tram doesn't go from Rochdale to Bury.

In fact, why would he mention Bury at all when somewhere like Oldham would be more obvious?

Very good question I will ask next time I see him. I take it from other posts on this thread that even if the nightlife in Rochdale was on the wane, it isn't anymore.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024