Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Accrington home 14:03 - Nov 24 with 24301 views442Dale

Lillis in. Welch and Conroy must be injured.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:03 - Nov 25 with 2278 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Accrington home on 16:49 - Nov 25 by fitzochris

Anyone else heard that the directors Goodwin and Smallwood have resigned?

Is Andy Kelly still involved with the club? I'm sure someone on here way back said he had resigned from the board, if true, a decision that seemed very strange at the time.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:17 - Nov 25 with 2223 viewssteofthedale

Match thread: Accrington home on 16:57 - Nov 25 by kel

You sit with the away fans?

My mistake.....

Shouldn't have spent so long watching the cricket in the early hours. (Either that or a PTSD flashback to the last time Coleman was at Spotland when we were often able to transfer to the Wilberts.)

*Pearl Street.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 17:21]

steofthedale*

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:31 - Nov 25 with 2171 viewsMoonyDale

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:03 - Nov 25 by kiwidale

Is Andy Kelly still involved with the club? I'm sure someone on here way back said he had resigned from the board, if true, a decision that seemed very strange at the time.

I believe he left the board of directors Oct 2017....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:35 - Nov 25 with 2157 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Accrington home on 12:35 - Nov 25 by aleanddale

I do agree with some of the comments as we cannot rest on our laurels we do need to always try and progress and get better still.

This combined with square pegs and round holes ( starting 11 ) build frustration with supporters especially on a messageboard.

I actually thought the crowd at the game did ok yesterday and good to see another 3500 inside Spotland.

On here is different - usually a win is a trigger for unbridled joy but the general mood is one of frustration. I think that is a direct consequence of the world we live in that expectation levels are the highest they have ever been.

Up The Dale.

But are the aforementioned MSM's the sort that would find something to complain about regardless?

On the subject of directors leaving could it be to do with wanting to concentrate on other commitments, family, improving golf handicap, wanting a rest and not because of any issues within the club?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:09 - Nov 25 with 2004 viewsBartRowou

Match thread: Accrington home on 17:03 - Nov 25 by kiwidale

I'd love to know who is on the board at Dale these days. Was Chris Dunphy ever replaced as chairman?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:45 - Nov 25 with 1911 viewsdalenumber2

Match thread: Accrington home on 16:49 - Nov 25 by fitzochris

Anyone else heard that the directors Goodwin and Smallwood have resigned?

I saw Smallwood at about 2.50pm yesterday, he was dressed in his casual clothes and seemed to be entering the ground as a regular supporter - he didn't go into the directors entrance. I thought it was a bit odd and wondered if he was no longer a director.
Are we not told of the comings and goings of directors? If not, why not?
Match thread: Accrington home on 19:50 - Nov 25 with 1897 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:45 - Nov 25 by dalenumber2

I saw Smallwood at about 2.50pm yesterday, he was dressed in his casual clothes and seemed to be entering the ground as a regular supporter - he didn't go into the directors entrance. I thought it was a bit odd and wondered if he was no longer a director.

They could put it on the fixtures board or Keith could tell us about any board changes before or after news on injuries

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:54 - Nov 25 with 1875 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:45 - Nov 25 by dalenumber2

Same as injuries....Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:58 - Nov 25 with 1852 viewsDaleiLama

Just thought I'd throw a few thoughts on here that I collected together whilst doing mundane chores and letting the old grey matter free-wheel.

There seemed to be some consternation that we barely made it past Gateshead in the Cup and were less than dominant after coming out of the traps flying. Well, the difference in that game compared to Dale vs Spurs is that we held onto a 2-1 lead against a team 2 tiers below us. End of story - because there was no story - unlike when we forced a replay at Wembley.

Yesterday saw what many billed as "Old Dale" (i.e. Accy punching above their weight and riding the crest of a promotion wave) vs "New Dale" (the well-established league one version which ditched no fear and now includes widespread trepidation, discomfort on the ball and all too often a reluctance to go forward and shoot when they get forward). We still won. That counts for a lot.

Accy were pretty well organised defensively and we still got behind them a lot, with Calvin making some very unsettling runs that really shook their back four and had them on the back foot plenty. Great to see our midfield adding goals too!

Edit: What a clearing header by Calvin towards the end too. More powerful than many a shot you'll see. That's how not to concede at corners.

Listening to Radio Bolton (aka Matey FM) on the way home and FRMSE referred to a City player weaving from side to side like a caravan being towed to Abergele. Massive shout-out to Harrison. Two runs that both fitted this description to a tee! Hope the big man keeps running with the ball. Positive, progressive and penetrating. Even JW11 had a go. As did Dooley. MORE of this please. And of overlapping wing backs hunting down the flanks with wingers like we used to do.

The team is capable of playing well and seconds later being horrendously wasteful with possession, gifting opponents opportunities. And we still won. I also agree with Col - we are about 90% there, but we are also as fragile as porcelain. We need toughness. Why oh why is Cannon getting splinters lodged where the sun don't shine. Criminal.

The main stand moaners seem to be behind the away dug out. I sit behind the home dug out and in front of the visiting hobnobs. There is no moaning in my section. I don't hear any from the one adjacent either, but Hilly does spend an unhealthy amount of time turning round engaging with and being affected by the comments from there so he clearly hears them. I went in the Sandy for the Gateshead game. The Sandy Slaggers are PL compared to the non-league effort of the MSM based on my experience that day. Apparently Calvin should be pulling a dray for Thwaites. If Keith spent a game in front of the Sandy he would realise how lucky he is where he is!

I cannot fathom why anyone would bother listening to any of his interviews anymore, except perhaps on the progress of the younger players in the academy. I thought the pre-season forum was excellent. Since then, he has proved himself incapable of saying anything worthy of note. As to trying to win any kind of "battle" with fans - he has to rise completely above it and ignore it.

Clearly too many fans are becoming disaffected at the moment. The main sources of that disaffection are team selection, formation/tactics and the managers derogatory comments to players and fans alike. It is what it is and I, for one, still back him. It's also all down to him where we go from here. And probably where he goes from here too. Never a dull moment following the Dale.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 20:04]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:05 - Nov 25 with 1822 views442Dale

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:54 - Nov 25 by Yorkshire_Dale

Same as injuries....Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Not really sure how these things work, but Companies House would be informed of any change in directors of organisations.

Also, aren’t the Trust due a meeting with the board soon so that members can put questions to directors?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:09 - Nov 25 with 1801 viewsroccydaleian

Match thread: Accrington home on 19:58 - Nov 25 by DaleiLama

Just thought I'd throw a few thoughts on here that I collected together whilst doing mundane chores and letting the old grey matter free-wheel.

There seemed to be some consternation that we barely made it past Gateshead in the Cup and were less than dominant after coming out of the traps flying. Well, the difference in that game compared to Dale vs Spurs is that we held onto a 2-1 lead against a team 2 tiers below us. End of story - because there was no story - unlike when we forced a replay at Wembley.

Yesterday saw what many billed as "Old Dale" (i.e. Accy punching above their weight and riding the crest of a promotion wave) vs "New Dale" (the well-established league one version which ditched no fear and now includes widespread trepidation, discomfort on the ball and all too often a reluctance to go forward and shoot when they get forward). We still won. That counts for a lot.

Accy were pretty well organised defensively and we still got behind them a lot, with Calvin making some very unsettling runs that really shook their back four and had them on the back foot plenty. Great to see our midfield adding goals too!

Edit: What a clearing header by Calvin towards the end too. More powerful than many a shot you'll see. That's how not to concede at corners.

Listening to Radio Bolton (aka Matey FM) on the way home and FRMSE referred to a City player weaving from side to side like a caravan being towed to Abergele. Massive shout-out to Harrison. Two runs that both fitted this description to a tee! Hope the big man keeps running with the ball. Positive, progressive and penetrating. Even JW11 had a go. As did Dooley. MORE of this please. And of overlapping wing backs hunting down the flanks with wingers like we used to do.

The team is capable of playing well and seconds later being horrendously wasteful with possession, gifting opponents opportunities. And we still won. I also agree with Col - we are about 90% there, but we are also as fragile as porcelain. We need toughness. Why oh why is Cannon getting splinters lodged where the sun don't shine. Criminal.

The main stand moaners seem to be behind the away dug out. I sit behind the home dug out and in front of the visiting hobnobs. There is no moaning in my section. I don't hear any from the one adjacent either, but Hilly does spend an unhealthy amount of time turning round engaging with and being affected by the comments from there so he clearly hears them. I went in the Sandy for the Gateshead game. The Sandy Slaggers are PL compared to the non-league effort of the MSM based on my experience that day. Apparently Calvin should be pulling a dray for Thwaites. If Keith spent a game in front of the Sandy he would realise how lucky he is where he is!

I cannot fathom why anyone would bother listening to any of his interviews anymore, except perhaps on the progress of the younger players in the academy. I thought the pre-season forum was excellent. Since then, he has proved himself incapable of saying anything worthy of note. As to trying to win any kind of "battle" with fans - he has to rise completely above it and ignore it.

Clearly too many fans are becoming disaffected at the moment. The main sources of that disaffection are team selection, formation/tactics and the managers derogatory comments to players and fans alike. It is what it is and I, for one, still back him. It's also all down to him where we go from here. And probably where he goes from here too. Never a dull moment following the Dale.

Agree with most of that DL. One thing though it was FRMSE’s dad Fred who mentioned the towing the train to Abergele line on Matey..... Quite a good line I thought.
Match thread: Accrington home on 20:10 - Nov 25 with 1797 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:09 - Nov 25 by roccydaleian

Agree with most of that DL. One thing though it was FRMSE’s dad Fred who mentioned the towing the train to Abergele line on Matey..... Quite a good line I thought.

You are right Ian - my bad! FRMSE is easier to type!

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:14 - Nov 25 with 1789 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:05 - Nov 25 by 442Dale

Not really sure how these things work, but Companies House would be informed of any change in directors of organisations.

Also, aren’t the Trust due a meeting with the board soon so that members can put questions to directors?

I like James' tic idea, we need a board board

Or for those with inappropriate expressions, a bored board board

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:23 - Nov 25 with 1757 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:09 - Nov 25 by roccydaleian

Was he droning on and not letting the person who had called in get a word in edgeways?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 20:23]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:26 - Nov 25 with 1742 viewsTVOS1907

Good post, although it's very difficult in this day and age to avoid anything post-match as you don't need to listen to it to find out what was said.

Take the big headline in today's Football League Paper, for instance, which will no doubt be recycled in Wednesday's Ob.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:33 - Nov 25 with 1713 viewsroccydaleian

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:23 - Nov 25 by TVOS1907

Was he droning on and not letting the person who had called in get a word in edgeways?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 20:23]

YES.
Match thread: Accrington home on 20:34 - Nov 25 with 1708 views100notout

Great post.

I do wonder how the conversation goes when James Mason sits down with Keith Hill. The chairman has said many times that they don't interfere with the team / tactics / player recruitment etc but the BoD are responsible for everything else that happens at the club.

So what should happen is that JM says "Look Keith you've done a fantastic job to get this club to where it is now and we all really appreciate the work that you do but there's no point in us trying to increase the fanbase when you're pissing the existing ones off to the point where some of them stop supporting us. We all need to work together so start conducting yourself in a more appropriate manner"

Methinks JM has maybe already had or will soon have that conversation and has / will be told "fook off if you don't like it sack me"

Its a big challenge for JM - to bring back Team Rochdale but Hills demeanour is a big factor in it.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:36 - Nov 25 with 1702 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:26 - Nov 25 by TVOS1907

Good post, although it's very difficult in this day and age to avoid anything post-match as you don't need to listen to it to find out what was said.

Take the big headline in today's Football League Paper, for instance, which will no doubt be recycled in Wednesday's Ob.

Take your point completely. So far I have. But I am two days behind on Twitter-feed and just read reactions to his comments on here. It will be water off a ducks back when I do see anything though. He can't want the grief - he just doesn't seem to know any better. As an ex-coach of my US footy team once said to his players ….. don't eat the cheese (in the mouse traps).

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:41 - Nov 25 with 1677 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:34 - Nov 25 by 100notout

Great post.

I do wonder how the conversation goes when James Mason sits down with Keith Hill. The chairman has said many times that they don't interfere with the team / tactics / player recruitment etc but the BoD are responsible for everything else that happens at the club.

So what should happen is that JM says "Look Keith you've done a fantastic job to get this club to where it is now and we all really appreciate the work that you do but there's no point in us trying to increase the fanbase when you're pissing the existing ones off to the point where some of them stop supporting us. We all need to work together so start conducting yourself in a more appropriate manner"

Methinks JM has maybe already had or will soon have that conversation and has / will be told "fook off if you don't like it sack me"

Its a big challenge for JM - to bring back Team Rochdale but Hills demeanour is a big factor in it.

Winning consistently will do that too. We are too inconsistent for that yet though. Still, small steps. We are trending slightly upwards at present. Momentum can build quickly and be a powerful force. We need to catch a wave now.

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:51 - Nov 25 with 1637 viewsColDale

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:05 - Nov 25 by 442Dale

Got one booked for January, but just working on a potential change in format. Should have something confirmed either this week or next.
Match thread: Accrington home on 21:03 - Nov 25 with 1598 viewsborntogo

He thinks he is bigger than the club and has done for a long time. The Board should have sorted him out years ago.

All those fans who believe he is some sort of talisman, the only person who can make the club successful, only add to the problem. Why should he be? Why can't the next manager take us even further and be polite and pleasant along the way?

The magic has gone, near enough.
Match thread: Accrington home on 21:16 - Nov 25 with 1552 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:03 - Nov 25 by borntogo

He thinks he is bigger than the club and has done for a long time. The Board should have sorted him out years ago.

All those fans who believe he is some sort of talisman, the only person who can make the club successful, only add to the problem. Why should he be? Why can't the next manager take us even further and be polite and pleasant along the way?

The magic has gone, near enough.

It really is a case of "Better the devil you know"

It's fine to pose the question, refreshing even, but past experience suggests taking that step will just as likely result in a downward spiral as an upward one

I posted a few days ago about the club settling for stability and relative financial security rather than any intention to push towards the championship; not that that couldn't happen, but it wouldn't be either at the forefront of planning or any issue if it doesn't

The same applies to the fanbase. It's good to see upwards of 2500+ now attending on a regular basis due to the ST sales but the idea that the club exists to entertain us just isn't a priority, or even considered at all. Attractive, winning football has taken second place to maintaining finances through the production line of young talent (or young talent acquired from elsewhere) whilst providing a reasonable standard of football within which they can grow. I firmly believe that's what motivates Keith Hill nowadays, and the reasoning behind his attitude to fans who display quite normal fan behaviour, which to him will come across as neanderthal, irrational and counterproductive

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:20 - Nov 25 with 1526 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Accrington home on 20:34 - Nov 25 by 100notout

Great post.

I hope I'm wrong but James Mason would have been well aware of King Keith Hill before he joined. Im not sure if Abramovich or any of the other trigger happy chairmen would get any concessions out of Hill and therein is the problem. Hill is bigger than the club just my opinion of course that and that also Hill is unsackable

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:34 - Nov 25 with 1483 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:16 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

It really is a case of "Better the devil you know"

It's fine to pose the question, refreshing even, but past experience suggests taking that step will just as likely result in a downward spiral as an upward one

I posted a few days ago about the club settling for stability and relative financial security rather than any intention to push towards the championship; not that that couldn't happen, but it wouldn't be either at the forefront of planning or any issue if it doesn't

The same applies to the fanbase. It's good to see upwards of 2500+ now attending on a regular basis due to the ST sales but the idea that the club exists to entertain us just isn't a priority, or even considered at all. Attractive, winning football has taken second place to maintaining finances through the production line of young talent (or young talent acquired from elsewhere) whilst providing a reasonable standard of football within which they can grow. I firmly believe that's what motivates Keith Hill nowadays, and the reasoning behind his attitude to fans who display quite normal fan behaviour, which to him will come across as neanderthal, irrational and counterproductive

…….. and to Ad (sic) to this, would Dan have come to the Academy aged 14 to develop under another manager and started twice for England u18s. He did for Keith. This is a matter of fact.

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:39 - Nov 25 with 1472 viewspioneer

Match thread: Accrington home on 11:58 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

Is being "nice" considered de riguer in that neighbourhood? Or in being a football manager? Being "nice" is pretty over-rated, imo (i guess that much is obvious)

We can all be perfectly pleasant in our day-to-day lives, but there are times when being "nice" just doesn't cut it, disputes with neighbours being one example. That doesn't mean Hill is in the wrong, perhaps it just means he won't be walked over or pretend to be mates with those who just happen to live in the same postcode

Only point being made was according to what my contact says, its not an act he puts on for his day job, he is genuinely like that 24/7. What you see is what you get.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024