Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Accrington home 14:03 - Nov 24 with 24300 views442Dale

Lillis in. Welch and Conroy must be injured.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:01 - Nov 25 with 2340 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:34 - Nov 25 by DaleiLama

.. and to Ad (sic) to this, would Dan have come to the Academy aged 14 to develop under another manager and started twice for England u18s. He did for Keith. This is a matter of fact.

Hill doesn’t manage the academy . FACT

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:08 - Nov 25 with 2325 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:01 - Nov 25 by rochdaleriddler

Correct but the problem is many on here thinks he does.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:10 - Nov 25 with 2316 viewsDaleiLama

I don't recall saying he does? But Keith managed Dan Adshead on Saturday for his debut and when he came on at Wembley didn't he? And the Academy is setting up to play the way the first team plays. It's all very joined up. One thing we do seem to be getting consistently right when you look at the scores of the youth team week in week out too.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:11 - Nov 25 with 2309 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:03 - Nov 25 by borntogo

He thinks he is bigger than the club and has done for a long time. The Board should have sorted him out years ago.

All those fans who believe he is some sort of talisman, the only person who can make the club successful, only add to the problem. Why should he be? Why can't the next manager take us even further and be polite and pleasant along the way?

The magic has gone, near enough.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sacking-managers-poi

Worth sharing again methinks

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:14 - Nov 25 with 2296 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Accrington home on 21:16 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

It really is a case of "Better the devil you know"

It's fine to pose the question, refreshing even, but past experience suggests taking that step will just as likely result in a downward spiral as an upward one

I posted a few days ago about the club settling for stability and relative financial security rather than any intention to push towards the championship; not that that couldn't happen, but it wouldn't be either at the forefront of planning or any issue if it doesn't

The same applies to the fanbase. It's good to see upwards of 2500+ now attending on a regular basis due to the ST sales but the idea that the club exists to entertain us just isn't a priority, or even considered at all. Attractive, winning football has taken second place to maintaining finances through the production line of young talent (or young talent acquired from elsewhere) whilst providing a reasonable standard of football within which they can grow. I firmly believe that's what motivates Keith Hill nowadays, and the reasoning behind his attitude to fans who display quite normal fan behaviour, which to him will come across as neanderthal, irrational and counterproductive

It is an entertainment business, if we play crap, only the die hards turn up, those extra 1000 people that come when we are flying help the club turn a profit. I don’t want us just to
Produce players for someone else. And as we have seen, being great at 17/18 does not mean world domination. Paddy, camps , townson, et al.i want to see entertaining football, mostly this season and last I haven’t

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:20 - Nov 25 with 2279 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:11 - Nov 25 by James1980

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sacking-managers-poi

Worth sharing again methinks

Pointless statistics and bollox to boot. Managers get sacked for other reasons than results. point taken that results often push the manager out the door however its the manager who recruits often badly and coaches the team often badly that also gets him the chop.

edit to add

do you believe that Hill can coach the defence any better than at present? or improve any of the three keepers he has used this season?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 22:24]

Match thread: Accrington home on 23:52 - Nov 25 with 2183 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:14 - Nov 25 by rochdaleriddler

It is an entertainment business, if we play crap, only the die hards turn up, those extra 1000 people that come when we are flying help the club turn a profit. I don’t want us just to
Produce players for someone else. And as we have seen, being great at 17/18 does not mean world domination. Paddy, camps , townson, et al.i want to see entertaining football, mostly this season and last I haven’t

My point being that the club may well have judged they can survive financially through the KH production line rather than through income from the fanbase whether that's 2500 or 1500. This is reflected in the pricing of STs over the past two seasons

100% agree it's an entertainment industry, but "entertainment" only in the very broadest sense of "giving people something to do with their leisure time & money"

Someone mentioned Team Rochdale earlier today - that's completely gone, imo and it's about realism now. I don't necessarily blame the board if they take the view that the fanbase just isn't that important; i think they'd be wrong to do so, but the financial model has come about despite us. They really hit the jackpot with Keith Hill, and short of him running amok with a hatchet in the main stand, he's safe for as long as he wants to carry on (and even then i'm not sure!)

I should add, that we the fans also hit the jackpot with Keith Hill, but that doesn't mean anything more than bringing some success into the way we spend our leisure time, which is better than what went before - and that really is about the sum of it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Accrington home on 00:05 - Nov 26 with 2155 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Accrington home on 23:52 - Nov 25 by D_Alien

My point being that the club may well have judged they can survive financially through the KH production line rather than through income from the fanbase whether that's 2500 or 1500. This is reflected in the pricing of STs over the past two seasons

100% agree it's an entertainment industry, but "entertainment" only in the very broadest sense of "giving people something to do with their leisure time & money"

Someone mentioned Team Rochdale earlier today - that's completely gone, imo and it's about realism now. I don't necessarily blame the board if they take the view that the fanbase just isn't that important; i think they'd be wrong to do so, but the financial model has come about despite us. They really hit the jackpot with Keith Hill, and short of him running amok with a hatchet in the main stand, he's safe for as long as he wants to carry on (and even then i'm not sure!)

I should add, that we the fans also hit the jackpot with Keith Hill, but that doesn't mean anything more than bringing some success into the way we spend our leisure time, which is better than what went before - and that really is about the sum of it

We are half way there to survival with our current points. I’m certain we will stay in this league if only by half a dozen points. The talk of we are lucky to have Keith Hill is wearing thin. He’s not happy and his relationship with the fans (the most important people at any club no matter what “economic model” is in place) has broken down. Time to part ways and give someone else a go. The plant pot wearing people of Barnsley were quicker to realise what a gobshite Hill actually is then we were. If he thinks he is bigger then the club let him try at a bigger one. Except we all know how that turned out.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Accrington home on 00:18 - Nov 26 with 2144 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 00:50 - Nov 26 with 2120 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Accrington home on 00:05 - Nov 26 by rochdale_ranger

We are half way there to survival with our current points. I’m certain we will stay in this league if only by half a dozen points. The talk of we are lucky to have Keith Hill is wearing thin. He’s not happy and his relationship with the fans (the most important people at any club no matter what “economic model” is in place) has broken down. Time to part ways and give someone else a go. The plant pot wearing people of Barnsley were quicker to realise what a gobshite Hill actually is then we were. If he thinks he is bigger then the club let him try at a bigger one. Except we all know how that turned out.

It's not so long since i wrote to a director to point out that fans are the raison d'ÃÂȘtre of a football club (certainly at our level), without reply i might add

It's no use taking it up with me. If you want him out, buy a banner

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Accrington home on 01:19 - Nov 26 with 2098 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Accrington home on 00:50 - Nov 26 by D_Alien

It's not so long since i wrote to a director to point out that fans are the raison d'ÃÂȘtre of a football club (certainly at our level), without reply i might add

It's no use taking it up with me. If you want him out, buy a banner

Not having a go but if I thought like you that we are just insignificant numbers on a spreadsheet I wouldn’t bother anymore. I don’t expect to be rubbing shoulders with management, chairmen, directors or club officials but in the same breath I don’t expect to be treat like a lump of dogshit (which I currently feel is the case after every post match interview, especially when I chat to my Oldham and Bury mates and get asked “how come your lot have a problem with Keith Hill”) it feels like we are rehashing old ground as it was a similar theme last season but where is the animosity coming from?

I’ve only been watching Dale since the early 2000’s so I don’t really know what the bad times were like in the grand scheme of things but has their been a time in the past where relations between fans and management have broken down over such petty issues?
Match thread: Accrington home on 05:03 - Nov 26 with 2029 viewskiwidale

"They really hit the jackpot with Keith Hill"
"I should add, that we the fans also hit the jackpot with Keith Hill"

You are absolutely right D_A spot on and therein is the puzzle. Why are there some and growing who wouldn't care if Hill left tomorrow?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 5:07]

Match thread: Accrington home on 06:14 - Nov 26 with 1965 viewsSandyman

Match thread: Accrington home on 05:03 - Nov 26 by kiwidale

"They really hit the jackpot with Keith Hill"
"I should add, that we the fans also hit the jackpot with Keith Hill"

You are absolutely right D_A spot on and therein is the puzzle. Why are there some and growing who wouldn't care if Hill left tomorrow?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 5:07]

In answer to Kiwi, the "outters" will tell you that the Hill "magic" has gone. The "Team Rochdale" and "No Fear" Rochdale he established has withered on the vine so to speak. The exciting free-flowing football that made his name has been replaced with the tired, ponderous and predictable. A desire for improvement and ambition has been replaced by a meek acceptance of survival. Stubbornness and single-mindedness is more important to him than really addressing the problems faced on the pitch.
The frustration comes from seeing a squad that should do better and a manager who has proven we can do better looking so lacklustre far too often.
Not to worry, apparently it's my fault as one of "the fans" for not singing relentlessly when we are getting annihilated in games by Barnsley and Peterborough, chasing shadows V Accy during the first half and embarrassed for 45 minutes by a team two divisions below us. Sorry. My bad.
Match thread: Accrington home on 06:42 - Nov 26 with 1953 viewspioneer

Match thread: Accrington home on 01:19 - Nov 26 by rochdale_ranger

Not having a go but if I thought like you that we are just insignificant numbers on a spreadsheet I wouldn’t bother anymore. I don’t expect to be rubbing shoulders with management, chairmen, directors or club officials but in the same breath I don’t expect to be treat like a lump of dogshit (which I currently feel is the case after every post match interview, especially when I chat to my Oldham and Bury mates and get asked “how come your lot have a problem with Keith Hill”) it feels like we are rehashing old ground as it was a similar theme last season but where is the animosity coming from?

I’ve only been watching Dale since the early 2000’s so I don’t really know what the bad times were like in the grand scheme of things but has their been a time in the past where relations between fans and management have broken down over such petty issues?

to be fair its often (i wont go as far as say always) been like that, at least at the borad level. I think the difference at present is unlike in the past it appears to being led by the manager.

The sad part of all of this is that KH did have a very good rapport with the fans. Unfortunately he has been responsible for that changing not the fans. It could have been, and could still be so different but I dont expect it will change.

I dont think this ever growing ego is not seen outside the club. He is rarely, if ever linked with other managerial jobs...thats astounding given his achievements both at first team level and youth development (yes I know he is not the only person involved). The one small hope I have is he has changed for the better in the past, he was once dismissive of all cup competitions. Whether influenced by the directors or not, he does now appear to give the cups equal standing in recognition of the revenue potential, and the change in attitude has been met with great success. If only someone could convince him similarly of the importance of a good rapport with the fans.
Match thread: Accrington home on 07:14 - Nov 26 with 1933 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:20 - Nov 25 by kiwidale

Pointless statistics and bollox to boot. Managers get sacked for other reasons than results. point taken that results often push the manager out the door however its the manager who recruits often badly and coaches the team often badly that also gets him the chop.

edit to add

do you believe that Hill can coach the defence any better than at present? or improve any of the three keepers he has used this season?

Rochdale 1 Charlton 0
Rochdale 0 Luton 0
Rochdale 1 Accrington 0

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Accrington home on 07:45 - Nov 26 with 1893 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Accrington home on 07:14 - Nov 26 by dingdangblue

Rochdale 1 Charlton 0
Rochdale 0 Luton 0
Rochdale 1 Accrington 0

This isn't the prediction league thread!

Match thread: Accrington home on 08:19 - Nov 26 with 1842 viewsaleanddale

Match thread: Accrington home on 07:14 - Nov 26 by dingdangblue

Rochdale 1 Charlton 0
Rochdale 0 Luton 0
Rochdale 1 Accrington 0

Rochdale 1 Charlton 0
Rochdale 0 Luton 0
Rochdale 1 Accrington 0

Coventry 0 - 1 Rochdale
Bradford 0 - 2 Dale

5 clean sheets to build on!!

Things nowhere near as bad as what some would like to make out.

Throw in a terrific 2-1 away win at Burton and TWO battling 2-2 away draws at Fleetwood and Scunthorpe makes you genuinely wonder what some fans expect from the team this season.
Match thread: Accrington home on 08:33 - Nov 26 with 1827 viewsDaleiLama

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7815330/dan-adshead-rochdale-barcelona-b

"He celebrated his 17th birthday in September by signing a three—year deal with Rochdale to keep learning under boss Keith Hill".

QED

Match thread: Accrington home on 08:51 - Nov 26 with 1787 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:08 - Nov 25 by kiwidale

Correct but the problem is many on here thinks he does.

Right so Hill has no bearing on the Academy success? I'm pretty sure he's the one who has integrated both Adshead and Matheson into first team training and given them both their debuts at 15 and 16 - he's seen their potential and given them every opportunity to succeed - there are a lot of managers/coaches who wouldn't. Adshead has even stated one of the reasons he signed a pro contract with Dale instead of leaving for supposedly better offers is Hill.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread: Accrington home on 09:39 - Nov 26 with 1723 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Accrington home on 22:20 - Nov 25 by kiwidale

edit to add

The article does also mention teams that have stuck with their manager have also had a turnaround in fortunes.
Considering the all the costs involved, the evidence suggests changing the manager would not be wise.

Match thread: Accrington home on 10:40 - Nov 26 with 1628 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Accrington home on 06:42 - Nov 26 by pioneer

to be fair its often (i wont go as far as say always) been like that, at least at the borad level. I think the difference at present is unlike in the past it appears to being led by the manager.

The sad part of all of this is that KH did have a very good rapport with the fans. Unfortunately he has been responsible for that changing not the fans. It could have been, and could still be so different but I dont expect it will change.

I dont think this ever growing ego is not seen outside the club. He is rarely, if ever linked with other managerial jobs...thats astounding given his achievements both at first team level and youth development (yes I know he is not the only person involved). The one small hope I have is he has changed for the better in the past, he was once dismissive of all cup competitions. Whether influenced by the directors or not, he does now appear to give the cups equal standing in recognition of the revenue potential, and the change in attitude has been met with great success. If only someone could convince him similarly of the importance of a good rapport with the fans.

Hill does many interviews where he doesn't mention the fans, he does interviews where he has praised the fans, he also does the occasional interview where he has criticised the fans - like the song goes "it only takes 1 tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes 1 match to burn a thousand trees". Maybe it's his way of having a go back at the 'Hill unlovers' on here and on the Dale fans Facebook page? Who knows - personally what he said after last Saturday's win didn't bother me or upset me in the slightest.

Match thread: Accrington home on 11:04 - Nov 26 with 1605 viewssoulboy

No matter what you think of KH, he is the greatest manager we have had, and he was spot in in his last interview, the COA is often like a library.
Match thread: Accrington home on 11:08 - Nov 26 with 1599 viewsJames1980

There is a difference between encouraging fans to make more noise and berating fans for not making enough noise.

Match thread: Accrington home on 11:37 - Nov 26 with 1565 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Accrington home on 08:51 - Nov 26 by dingdangblue

Right so Hill has no bearing on the Academy success? I'm pretty sure he's the one who has integrated both Adshead and Matheson into first team training and given them both their debuts at 15 and 16 - he's seen their potential and given them every opportunity to succeed - there are a lot of managers/coaches who wouldn't. Adshead has even stated one of the reasons he signed a pro contract with Dale instead of leaving for supposedly better offers is Hill.

Keith Hill has laid down the basis for how every team at every level of the club plays, whether at academy level or 1st team.

He has recruited staff, and excellent staff it has to be said, who will implement his ideas, plans, methods etc, to allow the juniors/youth/academy staff to progress through to the first team.

If you look at Dan Adshead, Luke Mathieson or any other youngster who has played in the Checkatrade matches, (for those who could be bothered to attend) they are all products of the methods employed and instilled by Keith Hill, which permeates through to all playing levels. Almost everyone, without exception is complimentary about the way they are progressing and the likelihood that they will all progress to better things.

That's what Keith Hill is responsible for. Players come here either to the first team or academy BECAUSE of Keith Hill. If you looked at the two managers in the dugouts last Saturday, we saw the polar opposites of what we want at this club.

Keith Hill is not and never will be a media man. It's not his 'bag'. I always see him as very uncomfortable in front of a camera and he is a sucker for falling for the bait. Unless the club send him for professional media coaching more of the same will continue. As it always has.

The Keith Hill who appears on the pitchside prior to kick-off and dduring games on matchdays is friendly, joking with staff, approachable by supporters for selfies and autographs and chats with photographers, opposition staff et.al. He is in his 'own environment' and comfortable.

He's not here to be a PR man. A few weeks ago, he said in an interview that he thought this club was on the verge of something very special in terms of the future products reaching first team maturity and beyond. Since then, we have seen Dan Adshead picked for his (fantastic) England debut, the recent Youth Cup v MK Dons match saw several scouts in the stand poring their eyes over the Dale players on view, whilst Keith Hill watched his proteges from the Directors Box.

I haven't been bothered by anything he says post-match. It's largely irrelevant. So what if he calls Spotland a library ? It is. It's not like he's making it up. Who cares what other supporters do, what songs they sing or for how long ? Dale supporters are pretty vocal at away games. Except on big match days, Spotland has never been a particularly vocal place.

Instead of looking for criticism to throw at the manager and what seem to be petty gripes about his comments, why not concentrate on the bigger picture ?

Read the article in the Sun today about Dan Adshead to realise just how far this club has developed and grown in stature under this manager. We might have stuttered a bit in the League, but bloody hell, give me League One football against some decent teams as opposed to what became of Stockport, Torquay, Orient, Hartlepool or Chesterfield.

Keith Hill once said before fixture that we should aspire to be an established League One club, like Orient (then) were. Until they sacked Russell Slade that is, because a change of Directors demanded it, with no regard for the consequences, or the stability of the club.

Managers sacked on a whim, replaced multiple times and the situation deteriorating at every change. Disaster usually follows.

Give me what we've got. All day long.

ñ€ƓIt is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooledñ€

Match thread: Accrington home on 11:43 - Nov 26 with 1557 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Accrington home on 16:49 - Nov 25 by fitzochris

Anyone else heard that the directors Goodwin and Smallwood have resigned?

John Smallwood was appointed as an 'Associate Director', whatever that is. Not sure whether Companies House need to be advised of that.

ñ€ƓIt is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooledñ€

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024