Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM 10:24 - Nov 8 with 6319 viewstruenorth

If that demonstrated the height of his abmition, then I for one would like a new manager.
TN

Poll: BBM or relegation?

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 10:57 - Nov 8 with 4305 viewsDalenet

It was a stupid and naive thing to say. Stockport were part time last season FFS

We need to put it behind us and move on and play like we did against Sunderland more often.
(No subject) on 11:46 - Nov 8 with 4215 viewsforeverhopefulDale

I think it is an embarrassment to lose, especially at home to a non league team, and even more so in a local derby, with a crap performance, however due to all the circumstances, it might not be a bad thing, in the sense it might be helpful in our league campaign to finish comfortably in mid table rather than batting all season in a relegation scrap. I have every confidence on what I have seen up to now this season we can finish mid table, probably in the lower end.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 11:55]

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

(No subject) on 13:57 - Nov 8 with 4036 viewsDaleView

(No subject) on 11:46 - Nov 8 by foreverhopefulDale

I think it is an embarrassment to lose, especially at home to a non league team, and even more so in a local derby, with a crap performance, however due to all the circumstances, it might not be a bad thing, in the sense it might be helpful in our league campaign to finish comfortably in mid table rather than batting all season in a relegation scrap. I have every confidence on what I have seen up to now this season we can finish mid table, probably in the lower end.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 11:55]

Look on the bright side.
Due to COVID-19 there was nobody at Spotland to see it.
It will soon be forgotten.
(No subject) on 14:00 - Nov 8 with 4023 viewsforeverhopefulDale

(No subject) on 13:57 - Nov 8 by DaleView

Look on the bright side.
Due to COVID-19 there was nobody at Spotland to see it.
It will soon be forgotten.

That’s very true. I was certainly glad I wasn’t there in person to witness it, though equally was sad not to have witnessed recent victories in person.

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 14:09 - Nov 8 with 4002 viewsEllDale

The fact remains though that for the last two or three years many of our better performances/results seem to have occurred away from home.
(No subject) on 14:44 - Nov 8 with 3945 views442Dale

(No subject) on 14:00 - Nov 8 by foreverhopefulDale

That’s very true. I was certainly glad I wasn’t there in person to witness it, though equally was sad not to have witnessed recent victories in person.

If fans had been there we might have won the games we lost and lost the games we won. And drawn won or lost the games we drew.

That’s how it works. We haven’t missed the games as they happened as they wouldn’t have happened like they did.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

(No subject) on 14:55 - Nov 8 with 3920 viewsD_Alien

(No subject) on 14:44 - Nov 8 by 442Dale

If fans had been there we might have won the games we lost and lost the games we won. And drawn won or lost the games we drew.

That’s how it works. We haven’t missed the games as they happened as they wouldn’t have happened like they did.

Whilst broadly agreeing with "chaos theory", i wonder where to draw the line?

For instance, if fans were allowed in but instead of there being 5429, someone missed the game and there were only 5428, would that affect the outcome?

And if not, how many fans would it take to make a difference?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

(No subject) on 14:56 - Nov 8 with 3905 views442Dale

(No subject) on 14:55 - Nov 8 by D_Alien

For instance, if fans were allowed in but instead of there being 5429, someone missed the game and there were only 5428, would that affect the outcome?

Six.

Or seventeen.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 15:01 - Nov 8 with 3890 viewsD_Alien

(No subject) on 14:56 - Nov 8 by 442Dale

Six.

Or seventeen.

I'm glad at least one of those is a prime number, which has to make a difference

[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 15:03]

(No subject) on 15:01 - Nov 8 with 3890 viewsDaley_Lama

There is no embarrassment in losing to a team like Stockport. I agree with that actually - they are doing well in the conference and fair play to them.

The bad things about yesterday were

1. Pedestrian attitude. Jim Mc and Jimmy K worst culprits
2. Tactical oddness. Jimmy Ryan can pass - why was he put at RB and Jimmy K (who can only pass backwards) swapped
3. Lack of midfield creativity. Rathbone running down dead ends, Morely passing off, Jimmy K as above - yet no subs until too late. Finally Dooley was brought on but seeing as he appears to have lost all ability to dribble or beat a man that hardly changed anything

We were fortunate to be in the game at half time (great save just before HT) and second half we were painful to watch. Stockport if they had even bothered to try - could have scored more.

The players looked knackered from early on but the only change to line up was Roberts out (perhaps he is too energetic)

There is no shame in losing, but being very poor irrespective of the opposition is not great.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 15:02]

Poll: DF in or out

(No subject) on 17:35 - Nov 8 with 3618 viewsforeverhopefulDale

We will never know.

(No subject) on 18:14 - Nov 8 with 3534 viewsboromat

(No subject) on 15:01 - Nov 8 by Daley_Lama

There is no embarrassment in losing to a team like Stockport. I agree with that actually - they are doing well in the conference and fair play to them.

The bad things about yesterday were

1. Pedestrian attitude. Jim Mc and Jimmy K worst culprits
2. Tactical oddness. Jimmy Ryan can pass - why was he put at RB and Jimmy K (who can only pass backwards) swapped
3. Lack of midfield creativity. Rathbone running down dead ends, Morely passing off, Jimmy K as above - yet no subs until too late. Finally Dooley was brought on but seeing as he appears to have lost all ability to dribble or beat a man that hardly changed anything

We were fortunate to be in the game at half time (great save just before HT) and second half we were painful to watch. Stockport if they had even bothered to try - could have scored more.

The players looked knackered from early on but the only change to line up was Roberts out (perhaps he is too energetic)

There is no shame in losing, but being very poor irrespective of the opposition is not great.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 15:02]

They did look tired again maybe we should have had a bigger shake up of the team

Poll: What are we more excited for?

(No subject) on 18:20 - Nov 8 with 3520 viewsDickster

(No subject) on 14:55 - Nov 8 by D_Alien

(No subject) on 18:27 - Nov 8 with 3502 viewsblackdogblue

(No subject) on 18:14 - Nov 8 by boromat

They did look tired again maybe we should have had a bigger shake up of the team

Play them in different positions?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 19:56 - Nov 8 with 3364 viewsmacro

No match this weekend, hopefully the players will get a few days off. Stockport game looked a game to far both physically and mentally
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 10:21 - Nov 9 with 2987 viewsBucketBstard

Shocking statement from BBM . We need every penny we can and FA Cup money could be a god send. But to go out with a wimper at home to a Non League is a disgrace.
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 10:37 - Nov 9 with 2961 viewsChaffRAFC

For full context, his interview is below. It's not like he isn't disappointing and annoyed at going out and all we can do it put it behind us and move on. Also worth noting we didn't even know who we were playing until Wednesday night. We're still without our number one striker and it's not like we've not had days like this before (FCUM, Forest Green) so I fear there's been an over-reaction to this loss. We made one change to the lineup on Saturday and have been having to play twice a week every week with no real room to change things up due to a lack of depth. The players probably need this rest they're getting at the weekend.

This game has gone now.

“It’s a very disappointing result for us in terms of the end result. I thought we played well for periods but Stockport put in a very good performance and, as much as we have enjoyed our days in the competition over the last couple of years, it’s important to respect what they’ve done today and wish them the best going forward.

“I thought we played well for long periods. The opposition score two quick goals in the first half - the first goal was obviously a brilliant goal and the second goal from our point of view is very disappointing. It’s something we’ve been working and conscious of, so that was very disappointing.

“Then you’re just looking at the reaction and applying the constants to how we want to play. We were pretty relentless in our attacking play, but when the opposition are defending so resolutely with so many numbers so deep in their own half, it can be hard to break down. I thought we broke them down on numerous occasions and created great chances but today we just couldn’t take them and, as such, we exit this season’s FA Cup at this stage.”

He continued: “In this moment you never enjoy the feeling of losing. I always say to the players that there’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport. We have to do everything that we can to try and beat them but, at the end of the day, we haven’t been able to beat them today. As such, you have to take it on the chin and be man enough to accept that we kept going right to the final whistle. We can’t have all the days on our own terms and expect to do it our way all the time. Now it’s about understanding why we lost and trying to put it right every week.

“The lads are desperate to win and there’s always a perception when you play against teams from lower down that you don’t want to get beaten, but I said before the game that there was no fear of failure on our part. We were keen to progress and play as well as we could - I can’t say that before the game and act differently after it, it’s just the way it is. There are things we want to work on from today’s game but they are exactly the same things we would have worked on after a victory.”

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:03 - Nov 9 with 2916 viewsHopwoodblue

So working on that principle losing to any team in Div1 is completely acceptable?
I don’t think he should be quoting things like that when our performance wasn’t up to scratch.
You can be to nice sometimes, hopefully he will have said things differently behind closed doors
otherwise it gives the players an excuse every time we lose a league game if it’s ok to lose to
a conference team.
Poor choice of words if you ask me !

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:03 - Nov 9 with 2913 viewsSuddenLad

That's the first time I've read the post-match response from BBM and I agree with what he says. Everyone is disappointed - sure they are - but it's no embarrassment to lose to Stockport. We were the 'scalp' in Saturdays' game and Stockport the underdogs, just as we have been several times in recent seasons. They knuckled down, battened down the hatches and got a result. Well done to them. That said, I don't think they have one player, I would exchange for one of ours for a League One campaign.

I don't doubt that there are things we can learn from the game, as there are from every game. We now have a period of rest for some of the players, whilst others continue to recover from injuries. BBM has only had 30 minutes of this season with his main striker on the field and by the time Wimbledon comes along, he should hopefully be fit again.

No need for the over-reaction, the doom and gloom and words like 'embarrassing'. We lost, we move on.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:08 - Nov 9 with 2903 viewsBigDaveMyCock

We didn’t lose. Their goals were illegal and we’re suing.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:34 - Nov 9 with 2852 viewsAtThePeake

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 10:37 - Nov 9 by ChaffRAFC

For full context, his interview is below. It's not like he isn't disappointing and annoyed at going out and all we can do it put it behind us and move on. Also worth noting we didn't even know who we were playing until Wednesday night. We're still without our number one striker and it's not like we've not had days like this before (FCUM, Forest Green) so I fear there's been an over-reaction to this loss. We made one change to the lineup on Saturday and have been having to play twice a week every week with no real room to change things up due to a lack of depth. The players probably need this rest they're getting at the weekend.

This game has gone now.

“It’s a very disappointing result for us in terms of the end result. I thought we played well for periods but Stockport put in a very good performance and, as much as we have enjoyed our days in the competition over the last couple of years, it’s important to respect what they’ve done today and wish them the best going forward.

“I thought we played well for long periods. The opposition score two quick goals in the first half - the first goal was obviously a brilliant goal and the second goal from our point of view is very disappointing. It’s something we’ve been working and conscious of, so that was very disappointing.

“Then you’re just looking at the reaction and applying the constants to how we want to play. We were pretty relentless in our attacking play, but when the opposition are defending so resolutely with so many numbers so deep in their own half, it can be hard to break down. I thought we broke them down on numerous occasions and created great chances but today we just couldn’t take them and, as such, we exit this season’s FA Cup at this stage.”

He continued: “In this moment you never enjoy the feeling of losing. I always say to the players that there’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport. We have to do everything that we can to try and beat them but, at the end of the day, we haven’t been able to beat them today. As such, you have to take it on the chin and be man enough to accept that we kept going right to the final whistle. We can’t have all the days on our own terms and expect to do it our way all the time. Now it’s about understanding why we lost and trying to put it right every week.

“The lads are desperate to win and there’s always a perception when you play against teams from lower down that you don’t want to get beaten, but I said before the game that there was no fear of failure on our part. We were keen to progress and play as well as we could - I can’t say that before the game and act differently after it, it’s just the way it is. There are things we want to work on from today’s game but they are exactly the same things we would have worked on after a victory.”

"We can’t have all the days on our own terms and expect to do it our way all the time."

This was the line that stood out to me. Absolutely true but completely at odds with the entitlement of football fans these days. We've had our moments in the cup in recent seasons and as disappointing as Saturday obviously was, we have to take one on the chin every now and then when a team has their moment against us. It's part of being a football fan.

Tangled up in blue.

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:40 - Nov 9 with 2842 viewsfunkkk

When is losing to a team two divisions below, in a competitive game, not embarrassing? We move on, of course, but let's not sugarcoat it.
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 12:07 - Nov 9 with 2782 viewsSuddenLad

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:40 - Nov 9 by funkkk

When is losing to a team two divisions below, in a competitive game, not embarrassing? We move on, of course, but let's not sugarcoat it.

Who has sugar-coated it? It's been called a 'disappointment' by fans and management alike. No-one is saying Stockport shouldn't have won, or that we were unlucky or played them off the park. Stockport were deserved winners. No arguments.

What we haven't done is over-react to one particular defeat. Trying to make out that the defeat was worse than it was, is daft.

The FA Cup produces results like this - and worse - every season. This time, we were beaten. It happens from time to time. It's no big deal.

If it had been 0-5 you may have a point. It wasn't.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 12:08 - Nov 9 with 2782 viewsAncoats_Blue

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 11:40 - Nov 9 by funkkk

Tbf they’re at the top end of the National League with a squad that would probably do quite well in league 2. They’re hardly the dog and duck Sunday league side. Some more shocking results than ours this weekend. Chorley beating Wigan for and Darlington beating Swindon for example.

I thought our draw and performance away at Wrexham last season was more deserving of being called embarrassing given their form at the time. Saturday, not so, a strong team in good form who I’d imagine we’ll see in a league again in the not too distant future.
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 13:17 - Nov 9 with 2631 viewsD_Alien

Of course we're able to take a defeat like the one on Saturday on the chin

What concerns me far more, is the doubt that anything will be learnt from it. Every man and his dog that gets kicked says they're going "to learn from it" - it's the stock response these days

Given the circumstances, the way Stockport started the game was outstanding but something that was entirely expected. The way we started was simply unacceptable. Of course it's happened before in recent memory (FCUM's already been mentioned) but to think we couldn't have made ourselves better prepared for that is to doubt the ability of the coaching staff to consider even the basics

And of course, we move on, but it's all cliches and pretty avoidable

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024