Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O'Connell 08:31 - Mar 2 with 9890 viewsDale2017

Can I just get other posters thoughts on EOC.

I've grown increasingly frustrated with our captains attitude the last few months. During the games he acts like a petulant child if he doesn't get the ball off the keeper, takes zero accountability if one of his long balls goes astray and looks to blame everybody else. Plus has no respect for the fans. He never acknowledges the fans at the end of the game for their support and is always the first down the tunnel.
At the Carlisle game last night he came nowhere near the away end.
I've always thought a captain should lead by example but I just think since BBM left shortly after EOC signed his new deal, he's not wanted to be at the club
O'Connell on 08:57 - Mar 2 with 6248 viewsDale_4_Life

Hard one to call not knowing all the facts. I just wish EOC would defend first and foremost.

Let's use our midfield to create and our attacking players finish.

EOC could be under instruction but it's a pretty poor and poor to watch tactic. Repeatedly out of position all game last night it makes us look so disjointed. A very disappointing evenings work from quite a few players.
O'Connell on 09:40 - Mar 2 with 6128 viewsToffeemanc

From appearances on the pitch it definitely seems to me like he doesn't really want to be here and will inevitably leave in the summer.
The only positive for Dale likely to come from this situation is the fact he should be playing to the best of his ability between now and the end of the season in an effort to impress watching scouts and secure his next move. Sadly I can't see this being any higher than a league 1 club unless he ends up in Scotland as his lack of pace would be very easily exposed higher up the leagues.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

O'Connell on 09:49 - Mar 2 with 6103 viewsChaffRAFC

Thought O'Connell played well last night and tried to get forward and link up play as much as possible. He's been a fantastic asset to us and I don't buy into this attitude that he's not up for it at all. I feel sorry for him having to play next to Dorsett on one side and Taylor on the other. I don't think he's the ideal captain by any means but he's a wonderful player who should be regarded as one of our better centre backs of the last 20 years.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

O'Connell on 09:55 - Mar 2 with 6085 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I thought he had a decent game last night, which is a change from the last few months. The whole defence has been at fault for gifting goals all season and were lucky to get away with some idiotic passing in and around their own penalty area. He doesn't lead by example and we haven't had a captain who does since Gary Jones.
It is time we dumped continuously playing out from the back. Our league position indicates it doesn't work.
Something else that doesn't work is trying to walk the ball into the net. The number of times we got in good crossing positions, with players in the area, only to pass the ball back, was infuriating. How can we expect to score when we're waiting until the 'perfect' chance has been created?! Despite having a poor game overall and having a few shots, Newby is not a team player. He refused to pass out wide a number of times to a team mate in a good position to cross the ball. Instead he'd cut inside and either be dispossessed or pass back. Only Campbell of the forwards makes runs which are by and large ignored but Done did so last night and had 2 decent chances because he made the effort. Perhaps if he'd had more game time up front instead of everywhere but, he might have finished them. If the players are doing as they are told then the book stops with the manager. If not, the players need to be told so in no uncertain terms. I would like to see a few more long passes over the top and opposition defences put under pressure. There was rarely any exerted on Carlisle last night as we just passed from side to side in the main. It is time we played attacking football with 2 wingers and a centre forward who attacks the ball. Midfielders who run at defences but can also see who is around them and create for others. Midfielders who can tackle and are aggressive. Defenders who when under pressure clear the ball instead of fannying around with it. Defenders with pace, who can actually jump off the pitch and head a ball. Defenders who attack the ball instead of waiting for it to reach them. Most of all I want players who want to play for the club and the fans. Stop this play acting and get up if you're not injured, show the opposition you are strong not weak and a soft touch. If decisions don't go your way, stop whining about it, leave that to the fans and get on with the game. Never turn your back on the ball. End of sermon
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 10:06]
O'Connell on 09:59 - Mar 2 with 6076 viewsdawlishdale

O'Connell on 09:49 - Mar 2 by ChaffRAFC

Thought O'Connell played well last night and tried to get forward and link up play as much as possible. He's been a fantastic asset to us and I don't buy into this attitude that he's not up for it at all. I feel sorry for him having to play next to Dorsett on one side and Taylor on the other. I don't think he's the ideal captain by any means but he's a wonderful player who should be regarded as one of our better centre backs of the last 20 years.

Well said Chaff. My MOM last night, by some distance. I'm staggered that some people are constantly sniping at him. agree that he wouldn't be my captain, but that doesn't mean he isn't our best defender.
O'Connell on 11:16 - Mar 2 with 5900 viewsRafc3

If he doesn’t play and we are left with donkey Dorsett and Taylor at the back we would be a lot worse off than we are now. He’s our best defender at the end of day.

Poll: Stockdale: IN or OUT

O'Connell on 12:32 - Mar 2 with 5709 viewsrichfoad32

O'Connell on 11:16 - Mar 2 by Rafc3

If he doesn’t play and we are left with donkey Dorsett and Taylor at the back we would be a lot worse off than we are now. He’s our best defender at the end of day.

I agree that he's by far our best defender, but don't agree with labelling a 19 year old kid playing his first season of first team football a 'donkey'.
O'Connell on 12:53 - Mar 2 with 5616 viewsTrueDaleBlue

O'Connell on 09:49 - Mar 2 by ChaffRAFC

Sums up my perspective of him perfectly, he was my MOM last night, same against Northampton, and one of the only players to come off the pitch against Port Vale that could say had played well.
Don’t see what the problem is.
Login to get fewer ads

O'Connell on 13:37 - Mar 2 with 5498 viewsDale2017

I think the point I was making in my original post is being overlooked. I am in no way doubting his ability as a footballer in the slightest and recognise his quality and performances lately.

My issue is his attitude not his footballing ability.
O'Connell on 14:10 - Mar 2 with 5451 viewsDalenet

I can't believe that you would call one of our most improved players this season a donkey. Why? So disrespectful. He is learning his trade and is miles ahead of where he was 6 months ago. I no longer panic when he is one on one. I hope he doesn't read this board to motivate him
O'Connell on 14:18 - Mar 2 with 5444 viewsChaffRAFC

O'Connell on 14:10 - Mar 2 by Dalenet

I can't believe that you would call one of our most improved players this season a donkey. Why? So disrespectful. He is learning his trade and is miles ahead of where he was 6 months ago. I no longer panic when he is one on one. I hope he doesn't read this board to motivate him

While I disagree with calling him a donkey, he went through an improved spell but I do feel he's slipped back to his earlier season form and I absolutely DO panic when he's anywhere near the ball on the ground while I think he's OK in the air. I really don't rate him.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

O'Connell on 14:35 - Mar 2 with 5402 viewsjudd

Didn't go last night but on Saturday some of EOC's passing was sublime, almost Dawsonesque at times.

Poll: What is it to be then?

O'Connell on 15:17 - Mar 2 with 5299 views49thseason

Dorsett has improved by leaps and bounds since Clark started to play in front of him. I too had doubts but he had an excellent game on Saturday. and was solid last night and could hardly be blamed for their second goal. He will go back to Reading a much better player than the one they sent us.
O'Connell is something of an enigma, better than many on the ball but somehow not as commanding in the air as you imagine he could be, possibly tries to play too much football at times when clearing the decks is a better option. He is completely absent in the opposition box and hasn't scored for 2 seasons (Taylor has 3 so far this season) where you might expect him to chip in occasionally. Will he stay or will he go, to be honest, I don't care either way Downing is a far better defender but may prove to be too expensive for our purposes.
BTW Does anyone know how Joe Dunne is shaping up at Stafford Rangers?
I think any defence would improve with a better goalkeeper in the Logan, or Lonergan mould. Someone who exudes confidence and tell his defence what he needs. Its a key position that is not being filled satisfactorily
O'Connell on 19:06 - Mar 2 with 5046 views442Dale

O'Connell on 15:17 - Mar 2 by 49thseason

Dorsett has improved by leaps and bounds since Clark started to play in front of him. I too had doubts but he had an excellent game on Saturday. and was solid last night and could hardly be blamed for their second goal. He will go back to Reading a much better player than the one they sent us.
O'Connell is something of an enigma, better than many on the ball but somehow not as commanding in the air as you imagine he could be, possibly tries to play too much football at times when clearing the decks is a better option. He is completely absent in the opposition box and hasn't scored for 2 seasons (Taylor has 3 so far this season) where you might expect him to chip in occasionally. Will he stay or will he go, to be honest, I don't care either way Downing is a far better defender but may prove to be too expensive for our purposes.
BTW Does anyone know how Joe Dunne is shaping up at Stafford Rangers?
I think any defence would improve with a better goalkeeper in the Logan, or Lonergan mould. Someone who exudes confidence and tell his defence what he needs. Its a key position that is not being filled satisfactorily

Think the goalkeeping point is a good one. Sometimes having a reliable first choice who you know you’ll get a good level of consistency from is overlooked too often. In time it’s why Josh Lillis and his appearance record for a keeper at Spotland will be seen as someone we should have had more faith in. Mainly because, despite his faults, his record was deserving of that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

O'Connell on 19:48 - Mar 2 with 4981 viewsnordenblue

If you're basing your opinion purely on his defending as you say, I'm not too sure he is, decent footballer when on the ball pinging it around but certainly lacks pace and out of position far too many times from where he's supposed to be playing.
O'Connell on 23:11 - Mar 2 with 4755 viewsdalefan10

overrated doesn't want to be at club isn't a captain and just slopes of the pitch at the end of a game if he doesn't want to be there i'd rather he just left now
O'Connell on 23:17 - Mar 2 with 4747 viewspioneer

O'Connell on 23:11 - Mar 2 by dalefan10

overrated doesn't want to be at club isn't a captain and just slopes of the pitch at the end of a game if he doesn't want to be there i'd rather he just left now

I think we risk getting a bit precious about this saluting the fans stuff.

All I really care about is what a player does on the field during the 90+ minutes ( and that he is not behaving badly off the field).
O'Connell on 09:14 - Mar 3 with 4584 viewsmikehunt

Not sure his attitude on the pitch is helped by people shouting "eff off O'Connel Get out of our club!" at him.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

O'Connell on 10:13 - Mar 3 with 4503 viewsHullDale

Its a funny one this - I can see his undoubted talent, but at times have also been guilty of questioning his attitude and his desire to be captain.

There is probably a lot of 'projecting' going on re:BBM... we were all annoyed at the secret extension and his agent trying to do us for money, so were all peeved for those reasons when he left. We don't know for certain how EOC felt about it - he will have been happy with the terms / salary of his contract when he re-signed, and they haven't changed (his best mate in the world could've been manager but if the offer wasn't right he would've gone). His job is a footballer for Rochdale AFC, and if he was annoyed at anyone when BBM left it will probably have been with BBM himself rather than RAFC. What we don't know is if he was close to Bottomley, and if he was will he be in the same camp as others in the club / that have left who resent the fans for taking the actions to remove DB? 'its not the same without Dave'. We don't know how EOC feels about that whole situation, so probably shouldn't presume he isn't happy here because BBM isn't here.

His performances this season have been 'good' IMO; with a smattering of poor and an equal smattering of excellent - the poor ones stick in the mind more because of the poor season, but we shouldn't take away the excellent and good ones in (what is essentially) a brand new team.

Its the captaincy bit for me that I struggle with. With all the turmoil around the club, I think as fans we would want to see a captain that unites every single person. Coaching the players, cajoling them, talking to management throughout the game, getting fans up for it, fist pumps etc. Its human nature to want to see what we think of as a leader when things are ropey, and that isn't EOC's style... you couldn't get a more different captain to Jonah for example.

Does that mean he isn't amazing around the place and great with the team outside the 90 mins? Absolutely not.... I just don't think his style of captaincy is what we're used to, subconsciously wanting (in the current situation), and you could argue isn't visibly effective throughout our matches.

If there wasn't an armband, and we had our first choice XI available, what % of opposition fans do you think would identify EOC as captain?
O'Connell on 10:51 - Mar 3 with 4432 viewsDaleiLama

O'Connell on 10:13 - Mar 3 by HullDale

Its a funny one this - I can see his undoubted talent, but at times have also been guilty of questioning his attitude and his desire to be captain.

There is probably a lot of 'projecting' going on re:BBM... we were all annoyed at the secret extension and his agent trying to do us for money, so were all peeved for those reasons when he left. We don't know for certain how EOC felt about it - he will have been happy with the terms / salary of his contract when he re-signed, and they haven't changed (his best mate in the world could've been manager but if the offer wasn't right he would've gone). His job is a footballer for Rochdale AFC, and if he was annoyed at anyone when BBM left it will probably have been with BBM himself rather than RAFC. What we don't know is if he was close to Bottomley, and if he was will he be in the same camp as others in the club / that have left who resent the fans for taking the actions to remove DB? 'its not the same without Dave'. We don't know how EOC feels about that whole situation, so probably shouldn't presume he isn't happy here because BBM isn't here.

His performances this season have been 'good' IMO; with a smattering of poor and an equal smattering of excellent - the poor ones stick in the mind more because of the poor season, but we shouldn't take away the excellent and good ones in (what is essentially) a brand new team.

Its the captaincy bit for me that I struggle with. With all the turmoil around the club, I think as fans we would want to see a captain that unites every single person. Coaching the players, cajoling them, talking to management throughout the game, getting fans up for it, fist pumps etc. Its human nature to want to see what we think of as a leader when things are ropey, and that isn't EOC's style... you couldn't get a more different captain to Jonah for example.

Does that mean he isn't amazing around the place and great with the team outside the 90 mins? Absolutely not.... I just don't think his style of captaincy is what we're used to, subconsciously wanting (in the current situation), and you could argue isn't visibly effective throughout our matches.

If there wasn't an armband, and we had our first choice XI available, what % of opposition fans do you think would identify EOC as captain?

I'm firmly in the Chaff camp from his earlier post on this one, so admit to a slight leaning on the pro-side, hence the reason for my post. Nor am I saying the Carlisle commentators are scouts, or "football people", but they do watch every team in the division and also bone up on our players in advance. They couldn't sing the praises of EOC enough on Tuesday. Not even a suggestion of disinterest from them and they thought he was one of our best players on the park. Always interesting to see things from the other side of the fence.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

O'Connell on 12:16 - Mar 3 with 4277 viewssamueloneils

I cant believe those criticising EOC.

He was clearly Rochdale`s best player by some distance at Carlisle.

He has carried a suspect and inexperienced defence for the whole season so far, until Downing appeared (briefly unfortunately). Their goals against is very respectable even so.

I see a captain who is very frustrated by the problems and errors in front of him(and occasionally behind) and cant hide the anger. I wish there were a few more like that.

How about this for a (temporary) solution to the striking woes?. Play Ball up front with Campbell (or Charman). And for goodness sake play more down the wide channels behind the defences using a selection from Newby, OKeeffe, Keohane,Odu and Clark. That would produce crosses and goals.

IMO
O'Connell on 12:33 - Mar 3 with 4224 viewsD_Alien

O'Connell on 12:16 - Mar 3 by samueloneils

I cant believe those criticising EOC.

He was clearly Rochdale`s best player by some distance at Carlisle.

He has carried a suspect and inexperienced defence for the whole season so far, until Downing appeared (briefly unfortunately). Their goals against is very respectable even so.

I see a captain who is very frustrated by the problems and errors in front of him(and occasionally behind) and cant hide the anger. I wish there were a few more like that.

How about this for a (temporary) solution to the striking woes?. Play Ball up front with Campbell (or Charman). And for goodness sake play more down the wide channels behind the defences using a selection from Newby, OKeeffe, Keohane,Odu and Clark. That would produce crosses and goals.

IMO

Ball is a 'unit' and doesn't have the type of athleticism that'd suit a forward. He's far more effective being given a midfield box-to-box role where he can see what's happening ahead of him, just like Matty Lund

One aspect of EOC's captaincy that hasn't been mentioned is his relationship with RS

RS inherited EOC as captain, and perhaps understandably didn't want to rock any boats by making a change even if he's had thoughts in that direction

I'm not suggesting there is, but if there's any underlying tension on that score it'd not help communications either on or off the pitch

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

O'Connell on 14:45 - Mar 3 with 4043 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

O'Connell on 12:33 - Mar 3 by D_Alien

Ball is a 'unit' and doesn't have the type of athleticism that'd suit a forward. He's far more effective being given a midfield box-to-box role where he can see what's happening ahead of him, just like Matty Lund

One aspect of EOC's captaincy that hasn't been mentioned is his relationship with RS

RS inherited EOC as captain, and perhaps understandably didn't want to rock any boats by making a change even if he's had thoughts in that direction

I'm not suggesting there is, but if there's any underlying tension on that score it'd not help communications either on or off the pitch

As EOC’s contract is up in the summer maybe it’s tine that RS forces the issue. I think we have a ready replacement in Ball as captain & for me neither EOC’s performances or his on field organisational ability are anything other than average.
I don’t know where EOC thinks he will / should be playing next season but he’s at LG2 level for a reason. Time to look to the future IMO.
O'Connell on 15:02 - Mar 3 with 4011 viewsJames1980

Did we receive and therefore reject an offer for Eoghan in January?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

O'Connell on 15:59 - Mar 3 with 3913 viewssamueloneils

Can anyone explain to me the advantages of zonal markings please?

I have watched football at all levels for over half a century and still have not seen it work consistently enough to justify its usage- at any level.

I can see its use for inexperienced defenders or those who are otherwise unreliable, such as ball-watchers.

To me, onrushing attackers of height and power always have an advantage over a "fixed" defender. who will usually be slower to get high to defend a dead ball. Likewise it is much easier to create a mismatch by targetting a smaller defender.

We have seen many examples of this tactic used against us this season in particular.

What am I missing?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024