Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager!!?? 17:15 - Dec 26 with 10101 viewsrkershaw

I've got a name to throw into the ring.....rhymes with "Teeth Thrill"......enough is enough......we need to follow the Conservatives ....x3 leaders in one season....and I've not even had that many to drink!!
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 8:32]
New Manager!!?? on 23:09 - Dec 26 with 4203 viewsD_Alien

New Manager!!?? on 22:55 - Dec 26 by swiggy

I’m really sorry to hear that footballers can’t play for 90 minutes any more, I’m sure that you can remember the days before substitutions when all 11 players played for 90 minutes or the team played with 10 or even 9 men, it seems that we now have to patronise “men” who are incapable of playing 90 minutes for a salary they most men would work far longer then 90 minutes for.
To quote “Ripping Yarns” Its not the shorts that matter, it’s what’s in the shorts that counts. At least Lloyd showed commitment unlike some of our full time players, we surely want the same thing, for the Dale to stay up. For that to happen means we need to all pull together UP THE DALE.
I appreciate your opinion and no offence but today we were not good enough in the first half and we were on top in the second half until substitutions changed the game definitely not in our favour. Bottom line is we lost and in my opinion the substitutions weakened the team, I’m probably wrong but hey ho I’ve just looked at the league table and it’s not good reading

That the substitutions - particularly the first - weakened the team isn't in question

Back in the days before multiple subs were allowed, Lloyd wouldn't have started the game. That he did so is a bonus. The simple fact remains the manager didn't take him off out of any lack of management nous but because he knew it had to be done. Once that's acknowledged, you'll be able to move on from your frustration, as i did after first reflecting on it on my way home

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

New Manager!!?? on 23:15 - Dec 26 with 4197 viewsDalenet

New Manager!!?? on 22:55 - Dec 26 by swiggy

I’m really sorry to hear that footballers can’t play for 90 minutes any more, I’m sure that you can remember the days before substitutions when all 11 players played for 90 minutes or the team played with 10 or even 9 men, it seems that we now have to patronise “men” who are incapable of playing 90 minutes for a salary they most men would work far longer then 90 minutes for.
To quote “Ripping Yarns” Its not the shorts that matter, it’s what’s in the shorts that counts. At least Lloyd showed commitment unlike some of our full time players, we surely want the same thing, for the Dale to stay up. For that to happen means we need to all pull together UP THE DALE.
I appreciate your opinion and no offence but today we were not good enough in the first half and we were on top in the second half until substitutions changed the game definitely not in our favour. Bottom line is we lost and in my opinion the substitutions weakened the team, I’m probably wrong but hey ho I’ve just looked at the league table and it’s not good reading

I might be wrong too - but I feel the same way. The Sandy was singing "your not fit to wear the shirt" to the players a few weeks ago. That shocked me at the time. But todays first half was worse. It's killing the club.
New Manager!!?? on 00:24 - Dec 27 with 4049 viewsswiggy

New Manager!!?? on 23:15 - Dec 26 by Dalenet

I might be wrong too - but I feel the same way. The Sandy was singing "your not fit to wear the shirt" to the players a few weeks ago. That shocked me at the time. But todays first half was worse. It's killing the club.

I must apologise to you Mr Bentley because you obviously were instrumental and know intimately why substitutions were made, having said that imo you lost us the game. I wish Mr Lloyd best wishes in his future part time career being substitute for Kenny Williams for Brooks Motors playing on pitch number 4 at Firgrove
New Manager!!?? on 00:44 - Dec 27 with 4012 viewsD_Alien

New Manager!!?? on 00:24 - Dec 27 by swiggy

I must apologise to you Mr Bentley because you obviously were instrumental and know intimately why substitutions were made, having said that imo you lost us the game. I wish Mr Lloyd best wishes in his future part time career being substitute for Kenny Williams for Brooks Motors playing on pitch number 4 at Firgrove

Rating Lloyd so highly should make you wonder why you're making such a fuss about him being taken off. he's only a non-league journeyman, after all...

New Manager!!?? on 01:03 - Dec 27 with 4016 viewsShun

New Manager!!?? on 19:22 - Dec 26 by 49thseason

Yet again, home supporters were presented with an utterly inept performance, bereft of ideas, skill, attitude, guile or even the basics as taught in Primary school. If Bentley is the answer, we asked the wrong question. This squad is incapable of starting on the front foot, every week we shrink back into a defensive posture right from the kick off. There is absolutely no surprise when we inevitably fall behind. Clearly Lloyd hadnt read the script, but dont worry, he will get the message. The whole team is pedestrian, over-schooled in the art of backwards passes, keep the ball and don't worry about how long it takes to get past the halfway line.
Maybe these traits are so engrained they cannot be altered, or maybe Bentley isnt much of a coach..
Nothing will change now, the die is cast, we are heading for another relegation if not oblivion. I am in my 63rd season of watching mainly dross and starting to wish it was all over. How much crap are we expected to put up with? We are skint, we have nothing to sell and about as much chance of progressing in a cup competition as going in at half time 3- 0 in front. If the club was a horse, it would be sold for glue.

I found myself looking around the stadium this afternoon an concluded someone could build probably 50 or more houses on the site. So the land is maybe worth £3m. At least my shares would be worth something... desperate times indeed.

Incredibly defeatist and depressing post, and one that spits in the face of the board and so many fans who’ve worked so hard over the past 2 years to help this club from *actual* oblivion.
New Manager!!?? on 03:34 - Dec 27 with 3969 viewsTalkingSutty

New Manager!!?? on 01:03 - Dec 27 by Shun

Incredibly defeatist and depressing post, and one that spits in the face of the board and so many fans who’ve worked so hard over the past 2 years to help this club from *actual* oblivion.

The post is a tad defeatist but it’s a reaction to a very damaging home defeat, the sort of defeat that hurts everybody associated with the club. My theory is that perhaps the players are over schooled and that is the reason for our slow start to games ( their heads are full of magic) and we always seem to look for the extra pass when it isn’t required. We look for the extra pass and touch when there is a great opportunity to just get the ball into the penalty area and cause a bit of havoc, instead we fanny around and lose the ball and consequently neither the players or supporters can build up a head of steam. It’s so frustrating to watch. Bentley needs to simplify everything, clear the players minds before they run out on to the pitch, play with pace in the game and look to get forward quickly with two wide players and two in the middle. The pretty looking patterns of play and keeping possession in negative areas might look good from a coaches point of view but we keep losing games of football so they aren’t working. No point dissecting the game but the free kick we conceded which led to their game summed it all up, the defender couldn’t be arsed to do his job properly so he just barged into him instead, it was lazy and unprofessional. When your senior defender can’t be bothered to defend properly you’ve got big problems.

It was great that the hostile takeover was thwarted but i think it’s fair to say that the battle has taken it’s toll on a lot of people. The Chairman and Directors were parachuted/ persuaded in to the club in a time of real crisis and they have literally saved the club and committed money from their own pockets in order to do that, nobody should doubt that they saved the club. I don’t think any of them would profess to be knowledgable when it comes to running a football club so they are very much learning on the job. All of their time until recently will have been consumed with fighting off the takeover and the threatened court case, a fight they ultimately won but at a personal and financial cost. Now they can concentrate on trying to run the club efficiently but when you look at the financial figures i’m struggling to see how we can realistically make ends meet on our own.

In the New Year I believe there will be a fans forum at some point and a directory of fans who are willing to donate time and expertise in order to help the club needs compiling to present to the club, that will help. Other revenue streams need exploring and plans putting in place quickly to implement them. All of these things will help with the finances but unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to stop the club racking up massive debts. At the moment there appears to be nobody at the club who is showing themselves publicly as the person responsible for the day to day overall running of the club, we get soundbites from the Chairman but he’s not a paid employee and doesn’t have the expertise needed to oversee everything involved in running a football club. I believe we have three members of staff who work in the commercial department, i couldn’t name any of them so they are obviously not engaging with the fans, the media, the people of Rochdale.

The club feels like a ghost ship at the moment, it’s been through a battle and is injured, it’s drifting around and everybody on board is licking their wounds. I personally think the financial situation is something that is out of reach of the Chairman, Directors and Supporters , we can slow the debt down and take chunks out of it but it will continue to grow unfortunately. Outside investment brings risks but without that in place i’m struggling to see how we can continue to survive in the EFL without running up massive debts. Nobody is to blame for this, certainly not those in the Boardroom, they have tipped up out of their own pocket and made footballing decisions that most of the fans agreed with at the time. Even when Stockdale compiled his squad and recruited over the summer most fans seemed happy with the signings. The blame game is a pointless exercise anyway, we need to redouble our support for the manager and the players. I still think we have enough in the club to get out of this mess anyway, i thought Danny Lloyd in particular was very impressive yesterday and with players coming back from injury and a bit of shape shifting everything is still in our hands.

Years ago we managed to budget on losing about £500K / season due to player sales and cup draws but money was always tight even then. We are now looking at trying to cover a £1.5 million loss/ year just to stand still. The public of Rochdale didn't rally around the club when we were playing brilliant football in L1 under Hill so we can't expect them to help. I'm at the point were i would consider any idea that will secure the long term future of the club, whether that be a move away from Spotland/ a ground share/ a merger with another club. Rattling around at Spotland and maintaining the stadium wont be affordable on our own anyway if we slip down the pyramid. Some grown up conversations and decisions need to take place soon between everybody involved with the club before the situation becomes irretrievable and wages can't be paid etc. At least the decisions will be taking place between people who genuinely love the club and with it's best interests at heart, that's something to be thankful for.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 7:11]
New Manager!!?? on 07:59 - Dec 27 with 3858 viewsSandyman

New Manager!!?? on 21:37 - Dec 26 by D_Alien

Give yourself one, you're simply wrong; not only that, but you've been disrespectful to Lloyd in maintaining his ability to sustain longer than 60 minutes of a tough dogfight after a long injury doesn't matter, and that his career is expendable

If you think Bentley would've taken him off for any other reason, or that doing so showed a lack of managerial ability, you're also being disrespectful to him

I'm giving an honest assessment of something i found frustrating at the time too
[Post edited 26 Dec 2022 21:41]

Agree with D Alien re: Danny Lloyd.
As folk drowned their sorrows in Ratcliffes after the game, the Man Of The Match presentation took place. EBJ's new recruit, Danny Lloyd got the award. He said it was his first full league game in a year, and admits he still has a "couple of more gears" to find. He was certainly appreciative of the reception he got from those in attendance and for the opportunity RAFC has given him. In 60 minutes he put more effort in than some of Stockdale's carthorses have all season. Nice find EBJ.
One of the worst players I saw in a Dale shirt was Ian Thompstone. Why did he spring to mind? Watching Stockdale signing Diagouraga yesterday was like watching Thompstone.
We don't need to change the manager, we need to change the players. On the ratings vote, only 4 players have currently got 5 or above. They were the only ones worth a wage. Shake up or go down.
UP THE DALE.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 8:00]
New Manager!!?? on 08:44 - Dec 27 with 3805 viewselectricblue

I thought Danny Lloyd had a good game and maybe just one or two times he tried to hard but supporters cannot fault his work ethics.
Unfortunately he had Cameron John behind him suppying the pass and he was very poor, some off his passes where to bad to be true..

What as been quite evident is a lack of pace upfront which Henderson and Quiggly dont have so hopefully Campbell will be on the pitch soon to provide that pace and i just hope he stays fit when he eventually crosses that white line..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

New Manager!!?? on 11:33 - Dec 27 with 3612 views49thseason

New Manager!!?? on 01:03 - Dec 27 by Shun

The post was written having arrived home wet through and probably more disappointed than I have ever been by a match at Spotland, I neither criticised nor implied any criticism of the board, I have no doubt, they and I will still be here when the bailiffs eventually arrive. The club has been betrayed by years of incompetence and self satisfaction, by smug directors who liked their position but didnt want the work, by employees who did what they wanted, not what was needed. I have bought tickets, shares, scarves, calendars and all the rest, but I can also read a balance sheet and have spent 40 years working in sales and marketing and can spot a company in existential trouble, not to recognise that is simply magical thinking. I also did my best to support the lads at the Cem who spent hours of their time contacting shareholders by doing hours of research on 192.com, a company I used to work with.
Fans have to now smell the coffee, this isnt going to end well, even if we escape relegation, what then? The club is losing a million pounds or more per year. Banks wont lend us any money, the EFL treats L2 clubs like a turd in the swimming pool and Oldham are busy proving that life outside L2 isnt a cakewalk either.
I just hope the Board have put their expenditure on MH shares in the accounts as management loans so that they might eventually get their money back.
The proposed new share issue has apparently stalled. Next will be cut-backs in expenditure of all kinds, then redundancies. Depressing? certainly. Defeatist? Well, I am still here and still trying to do what I can but until the board now tells us what the plan is assuming there is one, what do you suggest I do? Unfortunately I threw my boots away 40 years ago.
New Manager!!?? on 11:48 - Dec 27 with 3547 viewsD_Alien

New Manager!!?? on 11:33 - Dec 27 by 49thseason

The post was written having arrived home wet through and probably more disappointed than I have ever been by a match at Spotland, I neither criticised nor implied any criticism of the board, I have no doubt, they and I will still be here when the bailiffs eventually arrive. The club has been betrayed by years of incompetence and self satisfaction, by smug directors who liked their position but didnt want the work, by employees who did what they wanted, not what was needed. I have bought tickets, shares, scarves, calendars and all the rest, but I can also read a balance sheet and have spent 40 years working in sales and marketing and can spot a company in existential trouble, not to recognise that is simply magical thinking. I also did my best to support the lads at the Cem who spent hours of their time contacting shareholders by doing hours of research on 192.com, a company I used to work with.
Fans have to now smell the coffee, this isnt going to end well, even if we escape relegation, what then? The club is losing a million pounds or more per year. Banks wont lend us any money, the EFL treats L2 clubs like a turd in the swimming pool and Oldham are busy proving that life outside L2 isnt a cakewalk either.
I just hope the Board have put their expenditure on MH shares in the accounts as management loans so that they might eventually get their money back.
The proposed new share issue has apparently stalled. Next will be cut-backs in expenditure of all kinds, then redundancies. Depressing? certainly. Defeatist? Well, I am still here and still trying to do what I can but until the board now tells us what the plan is assuming there is one, what do you suggest I do? Unfortunately I threw my boots away 40 years ago.

Good response 49th. It's my contention that the relatively new board, having done wonders to fight off the hostile takeover with the help of fans, seem to be shell-shocked and ignoring the potential that our fanbase has in terms of commercial and other experience

I'm not expecting the board to come up with "a plan", but what they do need to do, and urgently, is start to enlist that same help that got us through the last two years in the first place

New Manager!!?? on 15:29 - Dec 27 with 3267 viewsblackdogblue

New Manager!!?? on 11:48 - Dec 27 by D_Alien

Good response 49th. It's my contention that the relatively new board, having done wonders to fight off the hostile takeover with the help of fans, seem to be shell-shocked and ignoring the potential that our fanbase has in terms of commercial and other experience

I'm not expecting the board to come up with "a plan", but what they do need to do, and urgently, is start to enlist that same help that got us through the last two years in the first place

There have been numerous threads on fund / income raising for the club on here, it is known the club read the board as do the Dale Trust, I wonder why they are not taking on board any options / ideas from here… 🤷‍♂️

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

New Manager!!?? on 15:39 - Dec 27 with 3241 views442Dale

New Manager!!?? on 15:29 - Dec 27 by blackdogblue

There have been numerous threads on fund / income raising for the club on here, it is known the club read the board as do the Dale Trust, I wonder why they are not taking on board any options / ideas from here… 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately in the past, going back a long time, this forum was probably seen as an irritation at the club but I can’t see any reason for that to be the case now.

It was always a shame as just like it is now, most of the posts in the past were concentrated on a desire to making the club better.

There was even a time when I was involved at the Trust (going back about ten years) collating questions for the board when there were meetings with the club, that there was an insistence that questions had to be sent in directly. Hence why often there were requests on here for them so they could be copied and pasted!

Have never understood in a lack of basic forward planning that fans could get on board with, a follow up on points raised and not ensuring transparent accountability was seen as necessity than a preference. As ever, accept my own role whilst on the Trust in not getting that in place as a given. We’ve seen how important it was over the last couple of years and it’s vital again now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

New Manager!!?? on 18:20 - Dec 27 with 3017 viewsblackdogblue

New Manager!!?? on 15:39 - Dec 27 by 442Dale

Unfortunately in the past, going back a long time, this forum was probably seen as an irritation at the club but I can’t see any reason for that to be the case now.

It was always a shame as just like it is now, most of the posts in the past were concentrated on a desire to making the club better.

There was even a time when I was involved at the Trust (going back about ten years) collating questions for the board when there were meetings with the club, that there was an insistence that questions had to be sent in directly. Hence why often there were requests on here for them so they could be copied and pasted!

Have never understood in a lack of basic forward planning that fans could get on board with, a follow up on points raised and not ensuring transparent accountability was seen as necessity than a preference. As ever, accept my own role whilst on the Trust in not getting that in place as a given. We’ve seen how important it was over the last couple of years and it’s vital again now.

On another post 442 I said I would e mail the trust regarding newsletters etc which I did & it bounced back today….

They used to do draws for a corporate meal which Mrs BDB won & was great against Newport a couple of years ago… it’s all too quiet for me…

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

New Manager!!?? on 19:01 - Dec 27 with 2938 views442Dale

New Manager!!?? on 18:20 - Dec 27 by blackdogblue

On another post 442 I said I would e mail the trust regarding newsletters etc which I did & it bounced back today….

They used to do draws for a corporate meal which Mrs BDB won & was great against Newport a couple of years ago… it’s all too quiet for me…

info@daletrust.co.uk as per their website.

Not sure if there are any problems with that address. They have been doing their usual monthly newsletters all season with updates from the Trust rep on the board. They also had an AGM last month.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

New Manager!!?? on 20:07 - Dec 27 with 2823 viewsTVOS1907

New Manager!!?? on 18:20 - Dec 27 by blackdogblue

They still do a draw for hospitality when it's their matchball sponsorship.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

New Manager!!?? on 20:11 - Dec 27 with 2811 viewsEllDale

I can confirm that this is still the case having been the grateful recipient of the hospitality in the not too distant past.
I think the Trust still sponsor three or four games per season.
New Manager!!?? on 21:05 - Dec 27 with 2694 viewsBrierls

Bentley had a decent impact after taking over, we looked to be heading in the right direction. However, results and performances have taken a nosedive. The majority of blame lies with the quality and attitude of the players, any manager would struggle to get a tune out of this lot, but we’ve not maintained the (still low) standard that Bentley set initially.

The manager is not the issue. The quality and attitude of the players is the issue. If we don’t get players of the right attitude in January, we will be playing in the National League next season. It’s as simple as that. So far, Bentley has signed Quigley (started well, now looks off the pace after returning from injury) and Lloyd (tried to make things happen despite not playing for a long time). Add a few more with that attitude and we have a chance of scrapping our way to survival.
New Manager!!?? on 11:00 - Dec 28 with 2284 viewsfinberty

Can I try for a bit of positivity?

At this same point in the 1986/87 season, (the first with the dreaded drop) we were rock bottom of Division 4.

We had only just secured the services of Derek Parlane, and had yet to even hear of Lyndon Simmonds.

Look what happened.

There is still time, but EBJ's contacts book needs to be good.
New Manager!!?? on 14:12 - Dec 28 with 2067 viewsNorthernDale

Hopefully Jim can bring in a couple of players in January and offload some of the players who are not clearly not up for the fight we are in or are not good enough.
New Manager!!?? on 19:58 - Dec 29 with 1589 viewsrkershaw

New Manager!!?? on 14:12 - Dec 28 by NorthernDale

Hopefully Jim can bring in a couple of players in January and offload some of the players who are not clearly not up for the fight we are in or are not good enough.

Still think Bentley is the right man......??
New Manager!!?? on 23:06 - Dec 29 with 1371 viewsNorthernDale

No idea, but we cannot afford to spend two or more weeks messing about sorting out a new manager. So I would let Jim to sign some players to address some of the countless weaknesses in the team. Sadly besides the loan players, we are unable to offload some of the sh*t due to the fact that Stockdale gave many of them two year contracts, so they can go through the motions in the knowledge that they will still get paid for the next 18 months, whereas one year contracts they got to show the desire or find themselves for a new club in the summer. It is amazing that sort of prospect can improve the work ethic of people.
New Manager!!?? on 06:55 - Dec 30 with 1197 viewsJames1980

Is it possible a commercial investor may stipulate any investment is on the condition that the management team is changed?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024