Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy V Bazunu 14:31 - May 9 with 2061 viewsSaintNick

I have to say I wasn't that impressed with McCarthy last night, thought he should have done better on the first goal especially, nor in his other two games, he seemed reluctant to come off his line in them.

So was it a mistake to swap keepers the stats are in the Premier League

Bazunu 32 games played, 55 goals conceded at 1.72 per game

McCarthy 3 games played, 8 goals conceded at 2.67 goals per game

I didn't see any real improvement in the goalkeepers.

In the Championship next year i think Bazunu will be our man, he will get the chance to prosper after being one of the best in League one in his season at Pompey on loan.

That being the case should we restore him for the final 3 games

Discuss

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

McCarthy V Bazunu on 14:57 - May 9 with 2004 viewsMytchettSaint

I’m past giving a shiny sh1t now about this season and couldn’t give a toss who Selles picks. He could start himself to say he’s played at the top level as well as managed there for all I care.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:07 - May 9 with 1985 viewssaints__fan__73

Both are very poor and concede pretty much any shot on target but we are stuck with both as no other club will take them.

McCarthy (and his massive contract which (unsurprisingly) has been conveniently ignored by Nick's forensic accounting should be no higher than out 3rd choice when Willy leaves.

We need an experienced keeper like Sam Johnstone to compete with Bazune for the number 1 spot.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:10 - May 9 with 1975 viewssaintwizzler

There’s not a decent centre back at the club so Superman could play in goal and look shit

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:23 - May 9 with 1959 viewsfelly1

Neither have impressed me. Bazunu was way to young to be a first choice Prem keeper, particularly at a club that were going to struggle.
He looks too small and only seems to save shots that he should save. He rarely if ever pulls off worldie saves.
He hasn't had one great game for us yet. He's either been OK or poor.
McCarthy is more experienced but also limited.
Wish we still had Forster tbh.
McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:25 - May 9 with 1955 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:10 - May 9 by saintwizzler

There’s not a decent centre back at the club so Superman could play in goal and look shit

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12589901/southampton-1-0-arsenal-s

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:35 - May 9 with 1941 viewscocklebreath

McCarthy is awful but not as awful as Bazanu

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:51 - May 9 with 1918 viewsBerber

I don’t feel any more confident with McCarthy n goal, and O don’t suppose our flakey CBS do either.
McCarthy V Bazunu on 16:08 - May 9 with 1908 viewsTimSaint

Neither were the answer for this season.

Baz was too young and inexperienced, prone to errors etc but at least he could kick it quite well. I expect us to keep him and persist with him as first choice keeper next season.

McC was injured all the time and proved to us last season that he wasn't any good, yet we still signed him up to a hefty contract. Only 6 appearances this season, half of which were in cup games - total waste of money and apparently still has 2 years left on his contract FFS !!

FF could have stayed, but his contract was up, he was a free agent and obviously got a big signing on fee and more wages than he was getting at Saints - just to sit on the Spurs bench (for most of the season, barring Lloris injuries !!) So we simply could not afford him. He can't be that good anyway, if even we scored 3 past him !!

Whatever keeper we have is powerless to do much when we have such a piss poor defence in front him. There are simply no excuses for the number of errors made, awful marking, the way we get carved open by teams and the way we allow teams to break and get shots off.

Teams don't need tactics against us, game after game if they play it safe, waste as much time as possible and sure enough, often before half time or early in the 2nd half, our defence or keeper will present you with a golden chance or 2, score and sit back (even with 10 men), as they are not capable of breaking teams down.

Really surprised Willy Cab wasn't given a few games. He is now over 40 and his contract expires in the summer, so can't see him staying and is probably too old now anyway.

All the above combined with not being able to score, tells us why we are bottom and haven't won in the last 10 games. Enough said.

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy V Bazunu on 17:18 - May 9 with 1839 viewsonedannywallace

Yes but you need to look at how many goals they conceded compared to the expected (for which Bazunu apparently had by far the worst stats in the league).

I agree McCarthy made a few mistakes but the fact that he conceded more goals average per game doesnt necessarily make him worse if we were playing more attacking and defending less during those games.
McCarthy V Bazunu on 17:19 - May 9 with 1837 viewsonedannywallace

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:25 - May 9 by dirk_doone

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12589901/southampton-1-0-arsenal-s

Actually the defence - excluding the keeper - hasn't been too bad statistically (before the last few games). Somebody told me it was 6th best in the league.
McCarthy V Bazunu on 17:41 - May 9 with 1810 views1ASIN12

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:35 - May 9 by cocklebreath

McCarthy is awful but not as awful as Bazanu

That’s the way I see it.

McCarthy is the best of a bad bunch.

One of the many reasons we are the worst Saints team in top flight history is because the board and owners did not sort the keepers position out last summer .
McCarthy V Bazunu on 18:12 - May 9 with 1781 viewsRon11

McCarthy V Bazunu on 17:41 - May 9 by 1ASIN12

That’s the way I see it.

McCarthy is the best of a bad bunch.

One of the many reasons we are the worst Saints team in top flight history is because the board and owners did not sort the keepers position out last summer .

Best of a bad bunch, apart from last night where he let in 5, although one was disallowed.
He looked no different from when the last time I saw him play - rarely comes off his line, never defends the near post, half a second of the pace and looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights most of the time. Might manage to pull off a save or two just to justify his existence, but never in a million years was he going to save that penalty.
They need to go looking for an experienced keeper as back up and who can help and advise Bazunu.
If they give McCarthy another contract, I/we'll know the lunatics really are running the asylum.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 18:34]
McCarthy V Bazunu on 18:24 - May 9 with 1767 viewsSouthamptonfan

FF was our best goalkeeper and we got rid.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 18:38 - May 9 with 1759 viewsstmichael

They say a good GK can save you 6 points a season.
I reckon these two (mainly GB) have cost us 6 probably more.
So the difference a good GK would have made to this season is 10/12 points.
Do the math's everybody...

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 21:10 - May 9 with 1689 views1teeminants

Never rated McCarthy but Bazunu is nowhere near ready to play in the premier league. He makes too many mistakes and flaps at crosses . I think he may come good. This is definitely one of the worst saints teams I’ve ever seen. We can’t score, we can’t defend and we fold and panic and are frequently out of position when teams attack , our keepers aren’t good enough and we don’t create that much. This has been an Awful season with total mismanagement. We’ve spent money recently on a load of dross with the exception of Lavia and Alcarez . Not to get in a decent striker is unforgivable and we totally deserve to get relegated.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 21:28]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 22:52 - May 9 with 1619 views1885_SFC

McCarthy V Bazunu on 14:57 - May 9 by MytchettSaint

I’m past giving a shiny sh1t now about this season and couldn’t give a toss who Selles picks. He could start himself to say he’s played at the top level as well as managed there for all I care.

lol, exactly this.

Old School is Cool

McCarthy V Bazunu on 09:17 - May 10 with 1484 viewsButty101

Before the Forrest game Sky had some interesting goalkeeping stats. Bazunu has conceded 16goals this season that he would have been expected to save. It was a toss up between him and the leeds keeper as to who is the worst in the division.

He was a ridiculous signing that was never needed.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 10:45 - May 10 with 1453 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy V Bazunu on 09:17 - May 10 by Butty101

Before the Forrest game Sky had some interesting goalkeeping stats. Bazunu has conceded 16goals this season that he would have been expected to save. It was a toss up between him and the leeds keeper as to who is the worst in the division.

He was a ridiculous signing that was never needed.

It's no coincidence that Bazunu and Meslier are also the 2 youngest goalkeepers in the Premier League. Most goalkeepers reach their peak in their late 20s/early 30s. McMenemy signed Shilton when he was 33. Now, that was a sensible signing, as was Spurs' signing of Forster.

It's possible that in 10 years' time, Bazunu will be a decent top class goalkeeper. McCarthy, in contrast, is at his peak age and he is still total rubbish. He's never going to get any better.

One thing SD have got wrong with their recruitment was signing too many players who were too young to be competitive in a team at this level. Even the top clubs' U21 teams lose to lower league teams in the EFL Trophy. This season, for example, Rochdale beat Liverpool U21, Ipswich beat Arsenal U21, Barnsley and Lincoln both beat Newcastle U21 2-0, Peterborough beat Spurs U21 3-0 and even Pompey thrashed Aston Villa U21 5-0. 21-year-old goalkeepers are generally not yet ready to play against older players.

We really don't want either McCarthy or Bazunu as our first choice goalkeeper next season. We need to get rid of McCarthy completely. His fans say he is OK as a No.2 goalkeeper. He isn't! He is terrible and he will continue to cost us points every time he plays. As for Bazunu, he probably will improve with age but we certainly shouldn't rely on him next season and if we get a bid for him, we should let him go as we really can't afford to wait for him to develop. Next season we need an experienced reliable goalkeeper.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 11:12]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

McCarthy V Bazunu on 14:56 - May 11 with 1266 viewsMattFinish

McCarthy v Bazunu - there’s only one way to settle that

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:48 - May 11 with 1248 viewsIfonly

Clearly neither McCarthy or Baz are good enough for the PL at the moment. Baz may be one day.

Next season we have another option: Mateus Lis. I have no idea how good he is but I suspect he may be a better option than the current ones.
McCarthy V Bazunu on 16:16 - May 11 with 1235 viewsHollywood56

McCarthy V Bazunu on 15:48 - May 11 by Ifonly

Clearly neither McCarthy or Baz are good enough for the PL at the moment. Baz may be one day.

Next season we have another option: Mateus Lis. I have no idea how good he is but I suspect he may be a better option than the current ones.

Sorry, but your as bad as the owners gambling on someone you know nothing about.
We should never have gotten rid of FF, he's hands, elbows, and any other part of your body that you wish to mention over McCarthy, who let's in anything near post and most things anywhere else relatively on target, Bazuna has done a reasonable job with the defence that he's been given, Does anybody remember Antiniami, (wrong spelling) best keeper in the premiership because he had to be!!!!
McCarthy V Bazunu on 17:07 - May 11 with 1217 viewsIfonly

McCarthy V Bazunu on 16:16 - May 11 by Hollywood56

Sorry, but your as bad as the owners gambling on someone you know nothing about.
We should never have gotten rid of FF, he's hands, elbows, and any other part of your body that you wish to mention over McCarthy, who let's in anything near post and most things anywhere else relatively on target, Bazuna has done a reasonable job with the defence that he's been given, Does anybody remember Antiniami, (wrong spelling) best keeper in the premiership because he had to be!!!!

You didn't understand, I'm not gambling on anything. I'm just saying that Lis is another option now so it's not all about McCarthy and Bazunu. Lis is a contender to be a starter. As I said, I've no idea if he's good enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024