Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football being killed off by technology and social media 20:18 - Oct 25 with 5810 viewsDewi1jack

Just came across this article in the Telegraph about people losing interest in the game.
Also goes on about the stupid transfer fees meaning more and more people are just turning their backs on the lot.
Our sell out b'stards certainly haven't helped our cause with poor transfer window after poorer window

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/25/modern-technology-is-in-danger-of

Could the reason actually be "overkill" with the amount of games.
I know I start losing interest and really don't feel like watching West Brom V Watford or any other mediocre teams, such as Boro, Sunderland etc.
probably even include us to non Swans fans

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:27 - Oct 25 with 4895 viewsmonmouth

I wouldn't open the curtains to watch us these days if I wasn't a fan.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:32 - Oct 25 with 4883 viewsexiledclaseboy

There's way too much football on TV these days. It's a simple case of overkill.

Poll: Tory leader

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:40 - Oct 25 with 4856 views3swan

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:32 - Oct 25 by exiledclaseboy

There's way too much football on TV these days. It's a simple case of overkill.

Yes totally agree

If pure logic was used, I'm sure that many fans would have turned their backs on this corporate circus.

Logic is outbalanced by being fans

How much longer? who knows?
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:43 - Oct 25 with 4843 viewsdickythorpe

The general view is that the players live in a different world to us the fans.
Whilst we struggle to work and keep the wolf from the door, they gamble, buy several cars etc, and waste more a week than some of us will ever save or see!
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:48 - Oct 25 with 4811 viewsDewi1jack

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:43 - Oct 25 by dickythorpe

The general view is that the players live in a different world to us the fans.
Whilst we struggle to work and keep the wolf from the door, they gamble, buy several cars etc, and waste more a week than some of us will ever save or see!

Could be very interesting if or more likely when the bubble bursts and these players end up playing for £600-£700 a week or whatever the average wage is.
Especially if they stay in their little dream world for a few years

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:51 - Oct 25 with 4796 viewsMillie

Know what you mean about watching Sunderland, Boro etc, I didn't even watch Barca and Man City last week for the same reason
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 21:59 - Oct 25 with 4682 viewsJackFish

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:27 - Oct 25 by monmouth

I wouldn't open the curtains to watch us these days if I wasn't a fan.

With a few notable exceptions I find myself incredibly bored watching us these days.

Totally agree about the saturation of coverage though, there's so many games on every night of the week, and everything gets built up so much that nothing really stands out as being special any more. I still really enjoy watching the latter stages of the Champions League and the playoffs, but normally don't bother for other games unless we're directly affected.
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 08:50 - Oct 26 with 4564 viewsjojaca

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 21:59 - Oct 25 by JackFish

With a few notable exceptions I find myself incredibly bored watching us these days.

Totally agree about the saturation of coverage though, there's so many games on every night of the week, and everything gets built up so much that nothing really stands out as being special any more. I still really enjoy watching the latter stages of the Champions League and the playoffs, but normally don't bother for other games unless we're directly affected.

The main reason I have become bored with football is because of how poor the Swans have been playing the last couple of seasons. I tend to pout when we lose and find it hard to continue to watch the rest of the football that particular weekend.

I have also lost complete interest in Champions League since BT won the rights and football fans are not willing to pay two subscriptions, especially when SKY have not lowered their subscriptions despite losing a good market share of football.

Fans also resent footballers because of the wealth gap, why should we continue to pay their salaries, while the normal fan is struggling to pay their household bills. Social media don't help when a footballer poses in a bath tub full of money that us normal fans could only dream of.

I have normally saved the money by now for December's season ticket renewal, but I have not got a penny saved this year because of unexpected bills through out the year with car and house and hate the thought of going to pay by monthly direct debits. If it was not for disappointing my son and I would not renew this year because going to watch the football is a luxury.

My last point the smart phone is killing a lot of sports, it's one of the main reasons why I have lost interest in Rugby. With so many breaks in Rugby, I tend to grab my phone and the game loses my attention.

Even when you know, you never know?

Login to get fewer ads

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 08:56 - Oct 26 with 4554 viewsVetchitBack

All good points.

When I just had terrestrial any live game was beyond exciting and compelling.

It's not just football the modern age has taught us that too much choice IS often worse than too little.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 09:04 - Oct 26 with 4539 viewsVetchitBack

Other reasons include:

Pathetic atmospheres caused largely be all seater stadia
'British' clubs with foreign owners and players
Money
Imported cheating/diving culture coupled with that bald Italian's legacy of giving out yellow cards for innocuous challenges leading to a non-contact sport

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:10 - Oct 26 with 4484 viewsperchrockjack

Last post is excellent.

Sadly, I remember the times when you couldn't hear yourself curse such was the din.

Fans used to sing for an hour prior to games.

I've been asked several times to sit down as they could quite see.

True

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:37 - Oct 26 with 4452 viewsblueytheblue

It's amazing how conservative football fans are.

Football got worse after maximum wage dropped.
Football got worse after heavy leather ball was removed.
No doubt some claimed football got worse after rules were created.

The "old" days ( and I'm assuming by that people mean the 80s ) had one live game on TV every now and then. Would always feature one of the top six teams. Lower league teams? Maybe had the chance of an FA cup game being shown once every 20 years or so... possibly.

The game has moved on, times have moved on...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:42 - Oct 26 with 4448 viewsperchrockjack

Its like sex bluey.

If you have too much it gets boring

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:48 - Oct 26 with 4434 viewsblueytheblue

Might want to work on your technique then perchie...

Just because there are X games on TV doesn't mean you have to watch X games...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:48 - Oct 26 with 4434 viewslifelong

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:10 - Oct 26 by perchrockjack

Last post is excellent.

Sadly, I remember the times when you couldn't hear yourself curse such was the din.

Fans used to sing for an hour prior to games.

I've been asked several times to sit down as they could quite see.

True

I should imagine if you stand up during a game,and everyone around you is seated, you will be told to sit down?
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:49 - Oct 26 with 4431 viewsFireboy

It's the devil in disguise that's ruined football and other sports

And the devil is SKY😠😠😠
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 11:32 - Oct 26 with 4397 viewsWhiterockin

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 10:49 - Oct 26 by Fireboy

It's the devil in disguise that's ruined football and other sports

And the devil is SKY😠😠😠

Technology is moving so fast and times are changing. So many people are now streaming live sport, many are now paying under £100 a year for the privilege of watching Sky Sports plus many extra matches in full HD. I fully expect the next Sky deal to be the same if not lower if this escalates. IMO the bubble is about to burst.
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 11:55 - Oct 26 with 4379 viewsmonmouth

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 11:32 - Oct 26 by Whiterockin

Technology is moving so fast and times are changing. So many people are now streaming live sport, many are now paying under £100 a year for the privilege of watching Sky Sports plus many extra matches in full HD. I fully expect the next Sky deal to be the same if not lower if this escalates. IMO the bubble is about to burst.

I thought that before the last one. Reember its marketed and growing like topsy outside the uk.There surely to god must be a limit though.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 12:09 - Oct 26 with 4366 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 08:50 - Oct 26 by jojaca

The main reason I have become bored with football is because of how poor the Swans have been playing the last couple of seasons. I tend to pout when we lose and find it hard to continue to watch the rest of the football that particular weekend.

I have also lost complete interest in Champions League since BT won the rights and football fans are not willing to pay two subscriptions, especially when SKY have not lowered their subscriptions despite losing a good market share of football.

Fans also resent footballers because of the wealth gap, why should we continue to pay their salaries, while the normal fan is struggling to pay their household bills. Social media don't help when a footballer poses in a bath tub full of money that us normal fans could only dream of.

I have normally saved the money by now for December's season ticket renewal, but I have not got a penny saved this year because of unexpected bills through out the year with car and house and hate the thought of going to pay by monthly direct debits. If it was not for disappointing my son and I would not renew this year because going to watch the football is a luxury.

My last point the smart phone is killing a lot of sports, it's one of the main reasons why I have lost interest in Rugby. With so many breaks in Rugby, I tend to grab my phone and the game loses my attention.

"Fans also resent footballers because of the wealth gap, why should we continue to pay their salaries, while the normal fan is struggling to pay their household bills."

Do you think that the Fans actually pay the footballers wages?
I know they contribute to them but it certainly isn't directly with Season or Game Tickets, the top League Players wage bills are spread out over all the people that pay Sky & BT Sport Subscriptions.

Just work it out for yourself, Ticket sales probably contribute £15-£20 Million to a £55+million wage bill.
If Sky/BT stop paying those enormous amounts for the TV rights the Players would have to take at least a 50% pay cut, but I can't see either Sky or BT stopping in the near future unless people really do turn off the Sports packages.

The wage gap is something else though, sports people, like Singers and Actors get way too much money, but the wage bill payers obviously think it is worth it, otherwise they wouldn't pay it.
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 19:51 - Oct 26 with 4247 viewsperchrockjack

Roger.

Try that at anfield or st James park.

You don't be dismembered

People get excited. They stand up.

It s sport

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:10 - Oct 26 with 4217 viewslifelong

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 19:51 - Oct 26 by perchrockjack

Roger.

Try that at anfield or st James park.

You don't be dismembered

People get excited. They stand up.

It s sport

Richard.

Do you think it''s okay for some jerk to stand up when everyone else around him wishes to sit down to watch the game?

Until safe standing is introduced into football grounds... sit the feck down.
Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:33 - Oct 26 with 4198 viewsperchrockjack

Roger.

Yes I do.

I believe people go to sporting events to get excited.

Consequently, emotion takes effect and it's natural to stand up.

Many grounds like Newcastle Liverpool accept this.

To stay sitting ,crouched ,hunched is unnatural .

Don't forget ,when we were kids and stood with our dads ,we often didn't see all that unfolded BUT 40 years later we remember those days ,those games, like Arsenal, Stoke,Sheffield Utd, Leeds, .i d suggest few these days will recall much of what happens these days ,when we are dead.

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:35 - Oct 26 with 4194 viewsDarran

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:33 - Oct 26 by perchrockjack

Roger.

Yes I do.

I believe people go to sporting events to get excited.

Consequently, emotion takes effect and it's natural to stand up.

Many grounds like Newcastle Liverpool accept this.

To stay sitting ,crouched ,hunched is unnatural .

Don't forget ,when we were kids and stood with our dads ,we often didn't see all that unfolded BUT 40 years later we remember those days ,those games, like Arsenal, Stoke,Sheffield Utd, Leeds, .i d suggest few these days will recall much of what happens these days ,when we are dead.

So what do you do to get excited?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:46 - Oct 26 with 4178 viewsperchrockjack

What football wise?

Tricky that. Can't answer.

In real life.

Waking up in the morning and seeing this gorgeous couleurs de flambé is enough go.

Seeing my missus well, my daughter giving me hugs , a crisp Chardonnay and a fresh croissant .

Ordinary things .

We need to put on hold our spat as the Virus has appeared almost from nowhere.

I've said, wI repeat ,Idont like what you ve posted and I stand by every word I've posted but I don't believe you re a malovelent poster.

The crap you got from Chrissy as t2c should never be forgotten as should the insults he gave to a mutual female friend of ours.

We re due to revisit the sewer.

It will get steadily worse and our mods are shameful in allowing this

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:52 - Oct 26 with 4160 viewsDarran

Football being killed off by technology and social media on 20:46 - Oct 26 by perchrockjack

What football wise?

Tricky that. Can't answer.

In real life.

Waking up in the morning and seeing this gorgeous couleurs de flambé is enough go.

Seeing my missus well, my daughter giving me hugs , a crisp Chardonnay and a fresh croissant .

Ordinary things .

We need to put on hold our spat as the Virus has appeared almost from nowhere.

I've said, wI repeat ,Idont like what you ve posted and I stand by every word I've posted but I don't believe you re a malovelent poster.

The crap you got from Chrissy as t2c should never be forgotten as should the insults he gave to a mutual female friend of ours.

We re due to revisit the sewer.

It will get steadily worse and our mods are shameful in allowing this

Oh and you can f*ck off with the sticking up for me in your spat against Chrissy too he's never hurt me in the way you've hurt me.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024