Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ireland v Serbia 18:46 - Sep 5 with 8347 viewsshandyjack

What's the best outcome assuming we beat Moldova?

Poll: Expectation for the season

Ireland v Serbia on 22:17 - Sep 5 with 2539 viewsraynor94

Ireland v Serbia on 22:13 - Sep 5 by Aquinas

Bosnia have Belgium home next and Estonia away final game of the group.

We should pick up more points than Bosnia. Estonia beat Croatia 3-0 at home in march.

I hope we do, fear is Belgium have already qualified. Win in Georgia and I think we'll be ok

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Ireland v Serbia on 22:20 - Sep 5 with 2527 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ireland v Serbia on 22:17 - Sep 5 by raynor94

I hope we do, fear is Belgium have already qualified. Win in Georgia and I think we'll be ok

Serbia still have to play Austria and Georgia. It's unlikely but I'm not ruling out winning the group.

Poll: Tory leader

Ireland v Serbia on 22:23 - Sep 5 with 2508 viewsKerouac

Ireland v Serbia on 21:54 - Sep 5 by bennytee

As it stands. Beating Georgia is vital

All points we pick up in the next 2 games get added to that total (as neither are against bottom team Moldova...and I should add that Moldova are DEFINITELY going to be bottom of our group now).

So a draw and a win gives us 4 points...12 points in total (for that 2nd place table), that could well be enough, although it will be touch and go.

2 wins and we qualify for the playoffs, neither Georgia away or Ireland at home will be easy though.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 22:31]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Ireland v Serbia on 22:27 - Sep 5 with 2485 viewsmonmouth

Ah right, I thought it wasMoldova. In that case yes, it might be two draws. I think that we will struggle massively to win in Georgia.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ireland v Serbia on 22:47 - Sep 5 with 2449 viewsmajorraglan

Ireland v Serbia on 22:23 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

All points we pick up in the next 2 games get added to that total (as neither are against bottom team Moldova...and I should add that Moldova are DEFINITELY going to be bottom of our group now).

So a draw and a win gives us 4 points...12 points in total (for that 2nd place table), that could well be enough, although it will be touch and go.

2 wins and we qualify for the playoffs, neither Georgia away or Ireland at home will be easy though.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2017 22:31]

Whilst topping the group is still mathematically possible, I think its now beyond us, I think second is the best we can hope for and to be in with a good shout of making the play offs, we are going to need at least 4 points possibly 6. The home draws earlier in the group have cost us, Georgia were no mugs and in the game against Serbia Bale hit the post they broke out and scored.

Beating Georgia can be done, but they will have to be at their best and hopefully we will get a bit of luck. That would set it up for a winner takes all against the ROI, unless they lose their next game which is unlikely.
Ireland v Serbia on 22:51 - Sep 5 with 2435 viewsKerouac

Stuff to think about...

Group A

The bottom team is between Luxembourg & Belarus.
France are top (only by a point, but you would expect them to beat Bulgaria[A] and Belarus[H] to top the group).
2nd is between Sweden and the Netherlands who play each other in the last game.
Neither team has dropped any points to Luxembourg or Belarus.
Sweden at home to Luxembourg next so will be on 19pts going into their game with the Netherlands (and with a 3 point lead + superior goal difference)

Most Likely: Sweden finish 2nd with 13/14/16 pts (6 points deducted)

Group B

The bottom team is between Andorra (4pts) & Latvia (3pts).
Latvia have a chance of taking Andorra on the line though as they have only the Faroe Islands and Andorra left to play (whereas Andorra play Portugal and Latvia).

Switzerland are top (by 3 points, but play Portugal away in the last game and Portugal have much better goal difference.).
Neither team has dropped any points to Andorra or Latvia..

Most Likely: Whoever finishes 2nd will have at least 18 pts in the 2nd place table

Group C

Let's not f*ck about here Germany will be top (Azerbaijan at home in the last game ensures it) and San Marino will be rock bottom...lost all of their games so far.
Northern Ireland will be 2nd, they have Germany(H) and Norway(A) to play.
Norway are the 2nd worst team in the group so far.

Most Likely: N. Ireland will be 2nd with a total within this range 13/14/15/16/17/19 points....I'd suggest 14/16pts being the most likely outcome

Group E

Kazakhstan are the worst team in the group by a distance, unfortunately 1 of their 2 points came against Poland...so we don't want Poland to finish 2nd (as they would only have 4 points deducted from their total, and they already have 19pts...so a 15 point 2nd place).
Poland are top on 19.
Montenegro 16.
Denmark 16.
The rest aren't close.
Some big games in this group with Denmark travelling to Montenegro next and Poland playing Montenegro at home in the final game.
It is fair to assume that Poland will beat Armenia and be on 22 points going into that final game (so if they somehow finish 2nd they will be on at least 18pts).
Who knows who will finish 2nd between Denmark and Montenegro but I favour Denmark given they have a home game against an average Romania team in their final game...surely they go to Montenegro set up for the draw.

Most Likely: Denmark finish 2nd with a total of 13/14/16points....I'd suggest 13/14pts being most likely

Group F

England will top this group. They need only a point away to Lithuania in the last game to ensure it (and they are home to Slovenia in their trickier fixture).
Malta will be bottom, they have lost all of their games so far.
Slovakia (15pts), Slovenia (14pts) and Scotland (14pts) are duking it out for 2nd place.
- Surely Slovenia will be hoping for a draw at Wembley and a win at home to Scotland to come 2nd (would leave them with 12pts in our 2nd place table)
- Slovakia will be hoping for at least a draw away in Scotland and a thumping win at home to Malta in the final game (13/15pts in the 2nd place table)
- Scotland are up against it with Slovakia at home followed by Slovenia away. (10/12/14pts 2nd place finish is possible...let's hope they somehow squeeze into 2nd with 10/12 points)

Most Likely: Slovakia with 13/15 points

Group G

Spain will top the group (currently on 22 points with Albania(H) and Israel(A) to go).
Italy will be 2nd
Little Lichtenstein will be bottom...lost all of their games so far.
Italy have 19 points already and games against Macedonia(H) and Albania(A) to go.

Most Likely: Italy finish 2nd within this range 13/14/15/16/17/19 points....I'd suggest 17pts being the most likely outcome

Group H

This is a bit more like it!
Belgium are top, qualified already.
Gibraltar will be rock bottom...lost all of their games so far.
2nd place will be between Bosnia (14pts currently) and Greece (13pts).
Bosnia are up against it though with Belgium(H) and Estonia(A)..or maybe not, depends on Belgium.
Greece on the other hand have Cyprus(A) followed by Gibraltar(H)...for me, if they beat Cyprus they will be 2nd.

Most Likely: Greece on 11/13 points...if it is Bosnia though they will most likely have 12 points (presuming a draw against Belgium and Greece unable to defeat Cyprus)

Group I

Complicated.
As it stands;
1 - Croatia 16pts
2 - Iceland 16pts
3 - Turkey 14pts
4 - Ukraine 14pts

Kosovo are bottom and none of the top 4 have dropped a point to them.
- Croatia are in the driving seat with Finland(H) and then Ukraine(A) to come (possible 2nd place finish = 10/11/12/13/14pts...I would bet on them finishing top or a strong 2nd 13/14pts).
- Iceland however have Turkey(A) and a gimmee at home to Kosovo, will hinge on whatever they take from Turkey (possible 2nd place finish = 13/14/16pts)
- Turkey are at home to Iceland and away to Finland (possible 2nd place finish = 11/12/14pts)
- Ukraine have Kosovo(A) and Croatia (H)...(possible 2nd place finish = 11/12/14pts)

Most Likely: I'm f*cked if I know but we could do with either Turkey or Ukraine somehow squeezing through with a weak points total.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 0:05]

Ireland v Serbia on 00:08 - Sep 6 with 2325 viewsKerouac

So bear the above in mind and consider that if we finish 2nd we will most likely do so with either 18/20 points in the group.

Take off the 6 gained against Moldova and we have either;
12 points
or
14points

Ireland v Serbia on 01:00 - Sep 6 with 2303 viewstheloneranger

Good explanation here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/results-wales

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Login to get fewer ads

Ireland v Serbia on 10:17 - Sep 6 with 2207 viewssherpajacob

some inbuilt unfairness in the fixtures as groups A, B and C finish 24/48 hours after everyone else.

so we could beat Ireland and think we've made the play offs and then see it disappear the following night depending on the results of Netherlands v Sweden, Estonia v Bosnia and Greece v Gibraltar.

even may even come down to whether France beat Belarus by more than Bulgaria beat Luxembourg, which could determine who finishes last in that group.

England have done us a favour, doing the double over Slovakia

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Ireland v Serbia on 11:14 - Sep 6 with 2156 viewsjack247

Ireland v Serbia on 10:17 - Sep 6 by sherpajacob

some inbuilt unfairness in the fixtures as groups A, B and C finish 24/48 hours after everyone else.

so we could beat Ireland and think we've made the play offs and then see it disappear the following night depending on the results of Netherlands v Sweden, Estonia v Bosnia and Greece v Gibraltar.

even may even come down to whether France beat Belarus by more than Bulgaria beat Luxembourg, which could determine who finishes last in that group.

England have done us a favour, doing the double over Slovakia

If Greece finish second, their result against Gilbraltar won't count for the playoffs? You're right, they should finish simultaneously in situations like this though.
Ireland v Serbia on 12:36 - Sep 6 with 2110 viewstrampie

The most likely amount of points Wales will get over their last two games is 4 and if that comes to pass Wales best chance bordering on only chance is finishing above the runners up of group H.

Wales in the next round of matches need Belgium to beat Bosnia in Bosnia (at least hold them to a draw) and for Cyprus to get a result at home to Greece.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 12:39]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Ireland v Serbia on 13:16 - Sep 6 with 2059 viewswestwalesed

This thread is incredibly depressing.

Seems gutting that you finish second in what is a VERY tough and well matched group - and get no where. I do concur however that the problem has been of our own making.

On another side note, or record over the last few years in remarkable. To think we could get through this group unbeaten and not qualify.....

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Ireland v Serbia on 13:58 - Sep 6 with 2033 viewstrampie

Ireland v Serbia on 13:16 - Sep 6 by westwalesed

This thread is incredibly depressing.

Seems gutting that you finish second in what is a VERY tough and well matched group - and get no where. I do concur however that the problem has been of our own making.

On another side note, or record over the last few years in remarkable. To think we could get through this group unbeaten and not qualify.....

I know butt, I don't want to put any negativity out there but there is a good chance Wales could finish second in the group and be unbeaten and miss out.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Ireland v Serbia on 14:12 - Sep 6 with 2018 viewstrampie

The final group games across all the group's should kick off at the same time, because all the potential second place teams are effectively competing against each other.
It's basic stuff FIFA, unfortunately group H play a day after us which could matter.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 14:15]

Ireland v Serbia on 14:16 - Sep 6 with 2013 viewsJackSomething

The European qualifying for the World Cup is a farce. Have a look at how Africa (who have 54 teams, same as Europe) has sorted their qualification process and weep at how pathetic UEFA are in comparison.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Ireland v Serbia on 14:33 - Sep 6 with 1998 viewstrampie

If Wales finish on 18 pts in second place (a win and a draw from two tough games on paper) in the other groups it's hard to see who they would finish above.

We need Belgium and Cyprus to do us a favour next time out and if Cyprus do us a favour and already qualified Belgium don't do us a favour we need Estonia to do us a favour in the last game in that group.

Outside that we are looking at a shock result or results, in Scotlands group not so much shock results but exact scorelines, like Scotland beating a rival at home by 3 goals and then that team Scotland beat beating the rabbits in the group by no more than 2 goals in the last game and Scotland drawing their last game against another team that is in the mix.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 16:14]

Ireland v Serbia on 14:50 - Sep 6 with 1976 viewstrampie

If we end up on 18pts the game we win we could do with winning by 3 goals, its very marginal but it could help us if Bosnia finish second on the same amount of points.

I initially thought without looking at fixtures, points and goal difference that a win and a draw just might get us in the play offs, very marginal a 51-49 chance for I thought, now having looked at it I would say it's a 51-49 chance against, a 3 goal win might put us 50-50.

Basically although there is no way of anyone knowing we are back to still having to win both our remaining games.

Ireland v Serbia on 15:03 - Sep 6 with 1964 viewstrampie

I'm trying to be realistic and I hope that Wales win in Georgia, Belgium win in Bosnia and Cyprus hold Greece to a draw in Cyprus.
We will only need to draw our last game against Ireland at home then to make the play offs, we could not ask for more than that.

Ireland v Serbia on 18:51 - Sep 6 with 1890 viewsmonmouth

Ireland v Serbia on 15:03 - Sep 6 by trampie

I'm trying to be realistic and I hope that Wales win in Georgia, Belgium win in Bosnia and Cyprus hold Greece to a draw in Cyprus.
We will only need to draw our last game against Ireland at home then to make the play offs, we could not ask for more than that.

Cookie playing for a draw against a team that needs to win??

I think I'd rather us need to shit or bust.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ireland v Serbia on 23:07 - Sep 6 with 1826 viewsKilkennyjack

We have to win them both.

We can do it.

Beware of the Risen People

Ireland v Serbia on 23:09 - Sep 6 with 1821 viewsLoyal

Ireland v Serbia on 14:33 - Sep 6 by trampie

If Wales finish on 18 pts in second place (a win and a draw from two tough games on paper) in the other groups it's hard to see who they would finish above.

We need Belgium and Cyprus to do us a favour next time out and if Cyprus do us a favour and already qualified Belgium don't do us a favour we need Estonia to do us a favour in the last game in that group.

Outside that we are looking at a shock result or results, in Scotlands group not so much shock results but exact scorelines, like Scotland beating a rival at home by 3 goals and then that team Scotland beat beating the rabbits in the group by no more than 2 goals in the last game and Scotland drawing their last game against another team that is in the mix.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 16:14]

You've just made my head hurt.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Ireland v Serbia on 17:13 - Sep 7 with 1715 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ireland v Serbia on 22:51 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

Stuff to think about...

Group A

The bottom team is between Luxembourg & Belarus.
France are top (only by a point, but you would expect them to beat Bulgaria[A] and Belarus[H] to top the group).
2nd is between Sweden and the Netherlands who play each other in the last game.
Neither team has dropped any points to Luxembourg or Belarus.
Sweden at home to Luxembourg next so will be on 19pts going into their game with the Netherlands (and with a 3 point lead + superior goal difference)

Most Likely: Sweden finish 2nd with 13/14/16 pts (6 points deducted)

Group B

The bottom team is between Andorra (4pts) & Latvia (3pts).
Latvia have a chance of taking Andorra on the line though as they have only the Faroe Islands and Andorra left to play (whereas Andorra play Portugal and Latvia).

Switzerland are top (by 3 points, but play Portugal away in the last game and Portugal have much better goal difference.).
Neither team has dropped any points to Andorra or Latvia..

Most Likely: Whoever finishes 2nd will have at least 18 pts in the 2nd place table

Group C

Let's not f*ck about here Germany will be top (Azerbaijan at home in the last game ensures it) and San Marino will be rock bottom...lost all of their games so far.
Northern Ireland will be 2nd, they have Germany(H) and Norway(A) to play.
Norway are the 2nd worst team in the group so far.

Most Likely: N. Ireland will be 2nd with a total within this range 13/14/15/16/17/19 points....I'd suggest 14/16pts being the most likely outcome

Group E

Kazakhstan are the worst team in the group by a distance, unfortunately 1 of their 2 points came against Poland...so we don't want Poland to finish 2nd (as they would only have 4 points deducted from their total, and they already have 19pts...so a 15 point 2nd place).
Poland are top on 19.
Montenegro 16.
Denmark 16.
The rest aren't close.
Some big games in this group with Denmark travelling to Montenegro next and Poland playing Montenegro at home in the final game.
It is fair to assume that Poland will beat Armenia and be on 22 points going into that final game (so if they somehow finish 2nd they will be on at least 18pts).
Who knows who will finish 2nd between Denmark and Montenegro but I favour Denmark given they have a home game against an average Romania team in their final game...surely they go to Montenegro set up for the draw.

Most Likely: Denmark finish 2nd with a total of 13/14/16points....I'd suggest 13/14pts being most likely

Group F

England will top this group. They need only a point away to Lithuania in the last game to ensure it (and they are home to Slovenia in their trickier fixture).
Malta will be bottom, they have lost all of their games so far.
Slovakia (15pts), Slovenia (14pts) and Scotland (14pts) are duking it out for 2nd place.
- Surely Slovenia will be hoping for a draw at Wembley and a win at home to Scotland to come 2nd (would leave them with 12pts in our 2nd place table)
- Slovakia will be hoping for at least a draw away in Scotland and a thumping win at home to Malta in the final game (13/15pts in the 2nd place table)
- Scotland are up against it with Slovakia at home followed by Slovenia away. (10/12/14pts 2nd place finish is possible...let's hope they somehow squeeze into 2nd with 10/12 points)

Most Likely: Slovakia with 13/15 points

Group G

Spain will top the group (currently on 22 points with Albania(H) and Israel(A) to go).
Italy will be 2nd
Little Lichtenstein will be bottom...lost all of their games so far.
Italy have 19 points already and games against Macedonia(H) and Albania(A) to go.

Most Likely: Italy finish 2nd within this range 13/14/15/16/17/19 points....I'd suggest 17pts being the most likely outcome

Group H

This is a bit more like it!
Belgium are top, qualified already.
Gibraltar will be rock bottom...lost all of their games so far.
2nd place will be between Bosnia (14pts currently) and Greece (13pts).
Bosnia are up against it though with Belgium(H) and Estonia(A)..or maybe not, depends on Belgium.
Greece on the other hand have Cyprus(A) followed by Gibraltar(H)...for me, if they beat Cyprus they will be 2nd.

Most Likely: Greece on 11/13 points...if it is Bosnia though they will most likely have 12 points (presuming a draw against Belgium and Greece unable to defeat Cyprus)

Group I

Complicated.
As it stands;
1 - Croatia 16pts
2 - Iceland 16pts
3 - Turkey 14pts
4 - Ukraine 14pts

Kosovo are bottom and none of the top 4 have dropped a point to them.
- Croatia are in the driving seat with Finland(H) and then Ukraine(A) to come (possible 2nd place finish = 10/11/12/13/14pts...I would bet on them finishing top or a strong 2nd 13/14pts).
- Iceland however have Turkey(A) and a gimmee at home to Kosovo, will hinge on whatever they take from Turkey (possible 2nd place finish = 13/14/16pts)
- Turkey are at home to Iceland and away to Finland (possible 2nd place finish = 11/12/14pts)
- Ukraine have Kosovo(A) and Croatia (H)...(possible 2nd place finish = 11/12/14pts)

Most Likely: I'm f*cked if I know but we could do with either Turkey or Ukraine somehow squeezing through with a weak points total.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 0:05]

Awww bless him.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ireland v Serbia on 17:32 - Sep 7 with 1697 viewsFireboy2

Don't give a monkey's how other teams do

We cant do anymore than win both our remaining games

And if we do win both and don't get through we can look at the 4 draws where we were ahead especially the home draws where we ballsed it up
Ireland v Serbia on 22:03 - Oct 6 with 1423 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ireland v Serbia on 22:20 - Sep 5 by exiledclaseboy

Serbia still have to play Austria and Georgia. It's unlikely but I'm not ruling out winning the group.

Still not ruling it out.

Poll: Tory leader

Ireland v Serbia on 22:07 - Oct 6 with 1412 views34dfgdf54

Serbia 0 - 0 Georgia.

We'll win the group.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024