Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starting a small business 14:57 - Apr 10 with 4488 viewsBenJ94

Me and a friend are planning on starting a small business, we don't quite have a full business plan quite yet but once things are sorted, is there anywhere/anyone we can see maybe to get a little bit of advice?
Starting a small business on 15:15 - Apr 10 with 3551 viewsmax936

There used to be a place up at Llandarcy, failing that you're Bank will offer some advice.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Starting a small business on 15:16 - Apr 10 with 3538 viewsDarran

Wánking off those pigs and selling the spunk is it Benji? 😩

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Starting a small business on 15:26 - Apr 10 with 3534 viewslondonlisa2001

Ben, I'd really recommend you both setting up a meeting with the bank you intend to use.

They have loads of helpful information and packs they can give you, covering everything from VAT to tax, invoicing, record keeping etc etc. It's also all free of charge to see them.

If you're in Swansea (or wherever to be honest) set up an appointment with the person at the business banking centre of your chosen bank that deals with small companies. They are generally really good to chat to.

Also, just a friendly recommendation. Even though you are starting a business with a friend, make sure everything is legally watertight between the two of you. Get a shareholder's agreement together about what decisions you can make, what you both have to agree to, what happens if one of you wants to leave, or to sell up, etc. The bank can help or you can go to a local firm of solicitors (check that they are used to doing shareholders agreements). It won't cost much.

You'll assume everything will be fine and you'll get on, but sometimes business and money get in the way and people can behave badly. Better to do all that stuff up front so you are both protected when you are in a good place, than do it years down the line when you are in a bad place at which point the only people who do well out of it are lawyers.

Also, if you haven't thought about it, speak with your banker about what sort of business type you are going to use. If there's two of you, think about setting up a limited company (again, this is very cheap to do with a company formation place, of which there are dozens).

I'd also recommend finding a local accountant. They will save you money when it comes to doing your accounts and tax returns rather than doing it yourself and getting it wrong. Some accountants can draw up the shareholders agreement for you by the way if you don't want a separate lawyer, or they will have law firms they work with to do that.

Good luck.
Starting a small business on 15:27 - Apr 10 with 3532 viewsmax936

I just googled Advice and help on Starting a small business in Swansea, I tried to copy and paste and put it up, but my laptop is on its last legs and it won't do it
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 15:28]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Starting a small business on 17:17 - Apr 10 with 3430 viewsN_T_J

I know you are mates. But money between friends can destroy your friendship. Sorry if it sounds negitive but I have seen it happen to two sets of my mates.

But good luck and go for it 👍
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 17:45]
Starting a small business on 17:25 - Apr 10 with 3404 viewsDarran

Starting a small business on 17:17 - Apr 10 by N_T_J

I know you are mates. But money between friends can destroy your friendship. Sorry if it sounds negitive but I have seen it happen to two sets of my mates.

But good luck and go for it 👍
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 17:45]

Exactly and if they should have a tiff who’s getting custody of the pigs?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Starting a small business on 17:37 - Apr 10 with 3386 viewsnantywatcher

It's what I do on a regular basis for a local charity. PM if you want.
Starting a small business on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 3365 viewsN_T_J

Starting a small business on 17:25 - Apr 10 by Darran

Exactly and if they should have a tiff who’s getting custody of the pigs?

🤣
Login to get fewer ads

Starting a small business on 18:12 - Apr 10 with 3325 viewsswanforthemoney

All Lisa's advice is as excellently correct as you would expect.
But theres a little something about momentum and motivation.
I tried setting up a business about 10 years ago and tried to do eveytihing properly and I spent a long time on set up and then the business didnt make much money really and I folded it pretty quickly. I'd say I wasted 3 months. There were council and other enterprise initives, but they sent you round in circles wanting Business plans etc.In retrospect, Id wished I just set out and done it I'd have wasted much less time and effort.

I've had another reasonably successful freelance business in the meantime and helped one of my kids get a side project going from their real job which is going pretty well, albeit for beer money at the moment.

An accountant will tell you what you need to do. They arent that dear if you find a small local one. Im sorry I cant recommend anyone, ask a friend or relative or someone you know if they know of one who will give you an hours advice. Banks are a pain in the backside, dont expect much from them. .

Good luck.

I stand in the North Stand

Starting a small business on 21:22 - Apr 10 with 3160 viewsGowerjack

Starting a small business on 15:26 - Apr 10 by londonlisa2001

Ben, I'd really recommend you both setting up a meeting with the bank you intend to use.

They have loads of helpful information and packs they can give you, covering everything from VAT to tax, invoicing, record keeping etc etc. It's also all free of charge to see them.

If you're in Swansea (or wherever to be honest) set up an appointment with the person at the business banking centre of your chosen bank that deals with small companies. They are generally really good to chat to.

Also, just a friendly recommendation. Even though you are starting a business with a friend, make sure everything is legally watertight between the two of you. Get a shareholder's agreement together about what decisions you can make, what you both have to agree to, what happens if one of you wants to leave, or to sell up, etc. The bank can help or you can go to a local firm of solicitors (check that they are used to doing shareholders agreements). It won't cost much.

You'll assume everything will be fine and you'll get on, but sometimes business and money get in the way and people can behave badly. Better to do all that stuff up front so you are both protected when you are in a good place, than do it years down the line when you are in a bad place at which point the only people who do well out of it are lawyers.

Also, if you haven't thought about it, speak with your banker about what sort of business type you are going to use. If there's two of you, think about setting up a limited company (again, this is very cheap to do with a company formation place, of which there are dozens).

I'd also recommend finding a local accountant. They will save you money when it comes to doing your accounts and tax returns rather than doing it yourself and getting it wrong. Some accountants can draw up the shareholders agreement for you by the way if you don't want a separate lawyer, or they will have law firms they work with to do that.

Good luck.

A shareholders agreement eh..

Yep they're a great idea .

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Starting a small business on 11:23 - Apr 12 with 2937 viewsBenJ94

Cheers for the replies guys, waiting for the business manager at Barclays to call within the next week or so to discuss things further. If things were to get going, I'd be looking for a city centre location, what would be the best site to use to find available properties?
Starting a small business on 11:33 - Apr 12 with 2925 viewsLord_Bony

Starting a small business on 11:23 - Apr 12 by BenJ94

Cheers for the replies guys, waiting for the business manager at Barclays to call within the next week or so to discuss things further. If things were to get going, I'd be looking for a city centre location, what would be the best site to use to find available properties?

I have been in business for over 30 years and the only advice I can give is sales, sell, sell sell ...if you can't do that then you are screwed if you can then everythin else will just fall into place.

If you're looking for a property to rent in town then remember it is a renters market at the moment you should be putting out proposals to take over properties rent free and you just pay the rates,you will be surprised how many landlords will take you up on this.

No need to thank me. Good luck.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Starting a small business on 11:41 - Apr 12 with 2903 viewsLord_Bony

Best site for finding retail properties to rent is this.

http://www.shopproperty.co.uk/

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Starting a small business on 11:43 - Apr 12 with 2894 viewsPegojack

Starting a small business on 21:22 - Apr 10 by Gowerjack

A shareholders agreement eh..

Yep they're a great idea .

I was wondering who would be the first to spot the irony in Lisa's post.
Starting a small business on 11:52 - Apr 12 with 2880 viewsN_T_J

Starting a small business on 11:33 - Apr 12 by Lord_Bony

I have been in business for over 30 years and the only advice I can give is sales, sell, sell sell ...if you can't do that then you are screwed if you can then everythin else will just fall into place.

If you're looking for a property to rent in town then remember it is a renters market at the moment you should be putting out proposals to take over properties rent free and you just pay the rates,you will be surprised how many landlords will take you up on this.

No need to thank me. Good luck.

Great advice there.

Dont be affaid to ask landlords/property owners.
Starting a small business on 11:54 - Apr 12 with 2875 viewsProfessor

Starting a small business on 15:16 - Apr 10 by Darran

Wánking off those pigs and selling the spunk is it Benji? 😩

Darran you may joke but this is actually the basis of a hugely profitable industry- AI in livestock. More for cattle than pigs, but the semen of high quality pedigree lines is very valuable. Few bulls (or even boars) are now needed. Also used in Turkeys, but not much for chickens.

The semen has to be harvested of course.
Starting a small business on 17:13 - Apr 12 with 2784 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Good luck in your business I hope it Work’s out for you

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Starting a small business on 17:17 - Apr 12 with 2782 viewslondonlisa2001

Starting a small business on 11:43 - Apr 12 by Pegojack

I was wondering who would be the first to spot the irony in Lisa's post.

Given I argued passionately at the time of the vote to take action based on the shareholders' agreement and continue to do so, it's not surprising that I think having one is still a good idea. Others deciding that they'd rather take a settlement as happened last summer doesn't change that...
Starting a small business on 17:41 - Apr 12 with 2748 viewsFlashberryjack

Fair play fellow posters....excellent advice.

Good luck with the business Ben, I did it many years ago, it's a lot of hard work especially in the early days but the rewards are there.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Starting a small business on 17:47 - Apr 12 with 2738 viewsDracan66

Business in Focus Wales can help, a part government run body. I attended a 5 day course with them in Bridgend and they advise on how to set up a business plan and we also had guest speakers from Barclays Bank, the HMRC and an accountant....all good stuff and very informative.
Starting a small business on 17:54 - Apr 12 with 2727 viewsDippy

Microsoft Excel.. record every movement you do..

Don't listen to the bank's.. they'll lead you down the road of financial genocide.. you'll have some snivelling snide waltz in for some expenses fee.

Watch what you invest in.. make sure the money you receive or earned has not been contaminated by blood.. Police will genuinely make your lives living hell..

Be clean, be careful.. I wouldn't trust a bank to give me toilet paper to wipe my a*se.

Lisa is only leading you to a bank because she wants first dibs or some reward to expand her empire for recommendation purposes..

People like Lisa would screenshot this message and hand it to the bank for evidence purposes.

This is the world you're getting involved in.. money is everything, your soul and being is secondary.

Poll: Cooper Out

Starting a small business on 18:17 - Apr 12 with 2711 viewsDippy

Starting a small business on 11:52 - Apr 12 by N_T_J

Great advice there.

Dont be affaid to ask landlords/property owners.

You see this Ben.. landlords and property owners..

I bet a few private messages have been sent towards you with contacts..

Lisa = Banks
NTJ = landlords + property

These are the "worm" people.. more front than Brighton Ben.. they're using you as a pawn, not a human.. all the ethical and humanistic principles of their degree have been shelved or never been read.

This is why the best call me the best Ben.. I'm giving you a view of the parasitic non-ethical, classless average business people in this world.

I'm known as the Sniper Rifle to them.. they hate me, they wish I'd crawl into some hole.

And Phil.. isn't advertisement banned from PS?..

I'm human see Ben, I care.

Poll: Cooper Out

Starting a small business on 18:24 - Apr 12 with 2704 viewsWarwickHunt

Starting a small business on 18:17 - Apr 12 by Dippy

Lisa = Banks

These are the "worm" people.. more front than Brighton Ben.. they're using you as a pawn, not a human.. all the ethical and humanistic principles of their degree have been shelved or never been read.

This is why the best call me the best Ben.. I'm giving you a view of the parasitic non-ethical, classless average business people in this world.

I'm known as the Sniper Rifle to them.. they hate me, they wish I'd crawl into some hole.

People call you "the best Ben?"

What about Ben Sherman, Ben Kingsley, Ben (& Jerry), Ben Gazarra, Ben Dover?

ps Who is Brighton Ben?
Starting a small business on 18:31 - Apr 12 with 2693 viewsPozuelosSideys

What sort of business is it?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Starting a small business on 18:33 - Apr 12 with 2684 viewsLord_Bony

Starting a small business on 18:17 - Apr 12 by Dippy

Lisa = Banks

Fair play Skip,you have not lost your touch.

Keep em coming son.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024