Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what would you do? 19:27 - Aug 18 with 4238 viewsLoyal

Your a professional footballer, in the bank you are worth around 50 million, you earn 110k a week, the club that got you those millions and all the recognition are in the shit having been relegated, some of it your fault.
The coffers are pretty low, you are asked to take a pay cut down to 45k for one season and get the club back on line.

What do you do?

Edit...
In fact all the high earners are asked the same question, take a 50% cut and put right the wrongs.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 19:30]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

So what would you do? on 21:07 - Aug 18 with 1197 viewsbuilthjack

So what would you do? on 20:59 - Aug 18 by Badlands

Why would they?
The only group I know who routinely put their own money into their jobs are teachers.
(I was astounded how much friends and family who teach sub their schools.)

A clubs owners and board very often do

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

So what would you do? on 21:12 - Aug 18 with 1181 viewsbyron

So what would you do? on 20:40 - Aug 18 by JACKMANANDBOY

When you have a Ferrari and three houses it's not enough when the people you mix with have two Ferraris and six houses.
The principle of more, better and different that drives human behaviour and my son to keep buying the latest iPhone.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 20:41]

Surely you get to a point though? It’s why I’ve lost the affinity I used to have with the game

Benny

So what would you do? on 21:16 - Aug 18 with 1172 viewsdameedna

Bonys cost is about 4 to 5 million in wages over a season. I said about. Probably some clubs will be able to risk paying that. Wilf would be up against fit competition. The owners may have to pay some of his wages whilst on loan. Without his injury though it would be fair to say he would have made a difference last season. Once he is on the bench and passes a medical he will be loaned out.

Against Birmingham we could have shored up by bringing on Naughton. Bringing on Grimes answers the question over who is staying. Naughton is going on loan and his agent is looking. Cant blame him as I thought he had a good season last year.

Not using Dyer Routs Narsingh Montero means we will have another Six players leaving.

Playing James shows Potter is bringing in the u23s early and to some extent under instruction to build for the future.

The answer is that as a player I would have to accept a move to a club that covers my contract and at the same time hopefully that will be a higher level and in a good location. After that as a player I would assess the manager, the chance of being relegated and whether or not I would be walking into the managers starting XI.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 21:21]
So what would you do? on 21:31 - Aug 18 with 1135 viewsDr_Winston

The answer is of course that you'd chase the money, just as 99% of the people crying about footballer's loyalty would also do if given the opportunity.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

So what would you do? on 21:41 - Aug 18 with 1114 viewsLoyal

So what would you do? on 20:35 - Aug 18 by jasper_T

Who took a pay cut?

Clearly nobody yet. Most have gone, I'm assuming the two players excluded from the offer were the 2 Ayew pricks.

We still have Routledge, Dyer and... Bony, with Naughton all will go I would imagine by the end of January.

FYI Darren, Bony had a net worth 4 years ago of 23 million. Before he signed for Man City.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 21:47]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

So what would you do? on 21:41 - Aug 18 with 1114 viewsNeath_Jack

So what would you do? on 21:31 - Aug 18 by Dr_Winston

The answer is of course that you'd chase the money, just as 99% of the people crying about footballer's loyalty would also do if given the opportunity.

Look out, Bamber has been at the Whiskey.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

So what would you do? on 21:44 - Aug 18 with 1103 viewsLoyal

So what would you do? on 21:16 - Aug 18 by dameedna

Bonys cost is about 4 to 5 million in wages over a season. I said about. Probably some clubs will be able to risk paying that. Wilf would be up against fit competition. The owners may have to pay some of his wages whilst on loan. Without his injury though it would be fair to say he would have made a difference last season. Once he is on the bench and passes a medical he will be loaned out.

Against Birmingham we could have shored up by bringing on Naughton. Bringing on Grimes answers the question over who is staying. Naughton is going on loan and his agent is looking. Cant blame him as I thought he had a good season last year.

Not using Dyer Routs Narsingh Montero means we will have another Six players leaving.

Playing James shows Potter is bringing in the u23s early and to some extent under instruction to build for the future.

The answer is that as a player I would have to accept a move to a club that covers my contract and at the same time hopefully that will be a higher level and in a good location. After that as a player I would assess the manager, the chance of being relegated and whether or not I would be walking into the managers starting XI.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 21:21]

My view as well re the under 23 players. I'm assuming that they have urged him to include them and exclude the high earners under the premis that if we are in the shit come January they will.'back him'

Barge pole comes to mind.

So what would you do? on 22:31 - Aug 18 with 1053 viewslonglostjack

Good question. If you’re earning 110k or 45 k per week I don’t see as it makes much difference. If it does you’re obviously obsessed with keeping up with the neighbours. BUT all professionals in sport aspire to play at the highest level. It’s not only a question of money. Ben Davies and Joe Rodon will move on but know their roots. Kissing the badge is all too easy for young pros with no club loyalty though and I hate it. Tammy Abraham comes to mind. To get back to the impossible question, if it was up to me I’d take the pay cut but there again I’m a fan with a beer gut and a low material threshold.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

So what would you do? on 22:49 - Aug 18 with 1023 viewsMrSwerve

If I had no affinity to the club (I.e. if it wasn't Swansea City), I'd be willing to listen to offers and ready to jump back into the PL on the same salary. I know it's hard for people to understand but there isn't anything special about our club to outsiders.

If the OP is an analogy of our departed players this season, none of them are worth £50m, nowhere near.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

So what would you do? on 01:04 - Aug 19 with 983 viewsLoyal

So what would you do? on 22:49 - Aug 18 by MrSwerve

If I had no affinity to the club (I.e. if it wasn't Swansea City), I'd be willing to listen to offers and ready to jump back into the PL on the same salary. I know it's hard for people to understand but there isn't anything special about our club to outsiders.

If the OP is an analogy of our departed players this season, none of them are worth £50m, nowhere near.

I think you will find Wilf isn't far away.

So what would you do? on 02:48 - Aug 19 with 954 viewsE20Jack

For a start I would doubt that you would have 50m in the bank being on 110k a week on the high tax bracket.

But, I would get my agent to try and engineer a move to a club at the highest level/willing to pay me the most money.. or a happy medium of the both.

I would intend to retire in my early 30's and never really work again other than pretty hands off investments, so would want more than enough not only sort my own future out but also my family's future for the next 50 years in extreme comfort.

It's a short career and a pretty unique opportunity to secure everybodies future around you. I would make the most of it.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

So what would you do? on 02:54 - Aug 19 with 951 viewsE20Jack

So what would you do? on 01:04 - Aug 19 by Loyal

Wilfried Bony Salary: $4,875,000
Wilfried Bony Net worth: $19,500,000
Club: Swansea City

I guess that's USD so 11m quid.

Nt sure the accuracy of that site though. Was just a quick google. But would be in line with my own guess roughly.

So what would you do? on 03:30 - Aug 19 with 943 viewsEU5Makaveli

Leave. And anyone who says different is lying.
We need to realise that the players relationship with he club is different to us fans- we’ve supported the club all our lives and would do anything to see the club do well. And they probably hadn’t heard of swansea 10 years ago.

For the players it’s different. Asking them to take a 50% paycut is the same as asking you in your work to take a 50% paycut, and hope that the company does well in the next year to get you back to your original pay- it’s not going to happen
So what would you do? on 03:51 - Aug 19 with 935 viewsKilkennyjack

As a fan of course you would.

However loyalty works both ways.

You might be a player who got released at 18 and fought a way back to the top.
The clubs have zero loyalty to these young players.
In Swansea the recent recruitment of Scottish players shows our club had no loyalty to the young players it spent years producing.

So the clubs dont deserve loyalty cos their own behaviour is disloyal.

The swans fans moved from the South Stand also got zero loyalty from the club. Not a single feck was given.

Beware of the Risen People

So what would you do? on 03:55 - Aug 19 with 928 viewsTummer_from_Texas

So what would you do? on 19:40 - Aug 18 by JACKMANANDBOY

If you were asked to take a 50% pay cut and another company was recruiting at your existing salary or higher what would you do?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2018 19:41]

And, worth noting, your career is going to be over probably by the time you are 35.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

So what would you do? on 09:08 - Aug 19 with 836 viewsnantywatcher

So what would you do? on 02:54 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

Wilfried Bony Salary: $4,875,000
Wilfried Bony Net worth: $19,500,000
Club: Swansea City

I guess that's USD so 11m quid.

Nt sure the accuracy of that site though. Was just a quick google. But would be in line with my own guess roughly.

$19.5m = £15.3m.
Always beware of a quick google.
So what would you do? on 09:14 - Aug 19 with 826 viewsE20Jack

So what would you do? on 09:08 - Aug 19 by nantywatcher

$19.5m = £15.3m.
Always beware of a quick google.

Especially when your force of habit converts it from AUD instead of USD.

Point remains though.

You could blow that very very quickly indeed. None of our players will have anything close to £50m in the bank.

So what would you do? on 09:17 - Aug 19 with 823 viewsJackfath

So what would you do? on 09:14 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

Especially when your force of habit converts it from AUD instead of USD.

Point remains though.

You could blow that very very quickly indeed. None of our players will have anything close to £50m in the bank.

Which of our players has the most in the bank and how much do you think they have?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

So what would you do? on 09:27 - Aug 19 with 802 viewsE20Jack

So what would you do? on 09:17 - Aug 19 by Jackfath

Which of our players has the most in the bank and how much do you think they have?

Bony probably. No idea what their bank balance would be, but a small fraction of the net worth figure quoted above I would have thought.

So what would you do? on 10:10 - Aug 19 with 774 viewspeenemunde

Why would anyone take a pay cut when legally they don’t have too ?
So what would you do? on 10:16 - Aug 19 with 770 viewsMoggey

I'd tell HJ you take 50% pay cut 1st then i might follow .
So what would you do? on 10:19 - Aug 19 with 766 viewsawayjack

Take a look a the Burnley board. Fans who’ve made their money elsewhere putting something back into their club and community. Our lot should never call themselves fans again.
So what would you do? on 10:36 - Aug 19 with 748 viewsMrSwerve

You think Wilf is worth near £50m?! Would love your source on that.

Doing some fag packet maths, say he's had an average salary of 80k per week (which is probably fairly generous) so far in his career, that's about 4 million a year, which is closer to 2 million when you take into account tax. He's been a high earner for what, 7 years or so? I'd say his fortune is somewhere around £15 million...£20 million at the absolute maximum if he's made some investments.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

So what would you do? on 10:45 - Aug 19 with 738 viewsE20Jack

So what would you do? on 10:36 - Aug 19 by MrSwerve

You think Wilf is worth near £50m?! Would love your source on that.

Doing some fag packet maths, say he's had an average salary of 80k per week (which is probably fairly generous) so far in his career, that's about 4 million a year, which is closer to 2 million when you take into account tax. He's been a high earner for what, 7 years or so? I'd say his fortune is somewhere around £15 million...£20 million at the absolute maximum if he's made some investments.

He would of course have endorsements and signing on fees and bonuses but still, like all of us, he won’t save every penny he earns (10% of which probably goes to his agent). You tend to live to your means. Obviously he would struggle to spend 55k per week after tax but I would imagine he lives pretty lavishly. I would say net worth of around £10m would be fair a guess. That is someone who has played for one of the richest clubs in the world and commanded a £25m transfer. The likes of Mawson, Fernández, Clucas and Bartley pale into insignificance in comparison who would of course be among the subject matter of the OP.

So what would you do? on 11:03 - Aug 19 with 726 viewsbyron

Wilf isn’t really worth anything in his current state. It’s incredible to think a player like him, good, not great though, has he been contributing / playing in a team that won much etc? His best days were with you lot. Yet he has 50 mill in the bank....begs belief

Benny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024