Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? 03:10 - Dec 28 with 4163 viewsomarjack

Or would you be disappointed if the club's ambition doesn't go higher than that? (play offs/promotion)

Personally, I'm starting to accept the fact, I've moved on from our PL days, we're a championship club now, like Nottingham Forest and Sheff Wed etc..at least I hope we won't look back one day from League One at our current times and say "ah..the good ol' post PL relegation championship days"

[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 3:14]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 07:53 - Dec 28 with 3162 viewsdcd14

We need to consolidate where we are at the moment.

If we were to go up within a season or 2 I dread to think how we would compete back in the PL as I'm pretty sure the manager wouldn't be given enough to bring in players.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 08:16 - Dec 28 with 3136 viewscmajack

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 07:53 - Dec 28 by dcd14

If we were to go up within a season or 2 I dread to think how we would compete back in the PL as I'm pretty sure the manager wouldn't be given enough to bring in players.

Manager? It hasn't been the manager bringing in players since laudrup. It's been our wonderful d.o.f that has been snapping up these amazing bargains the last few seasons. If you ask me managers since laudrup have had very little input into player recruitment.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 08:54 - Dec 28 with 3079 viewsLeonWasGod

Not especially. Isn't the whole point to win football games? I wouldn't want to win at any cost (e.g. By playing Pulis-ball), but surely we have to dream to play in the biggest games, against the best?

I'm not sure we get to chose when to make bid for promotion either. Each year it will get harder. The money will start to dry up, any decent players will be sold and it'll be harder to attract decent replacements.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 09:42 - Dec 28 with 3032 viewsdickythorpe

Everyone in the club must show ambition otherwise what is the point?
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 11:41 - Dec 28 with 2953 viewsjasper_T

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 07:53 - Dec 28 by dcd14

Why wouldn't we spend? We spent a lot in the PL with the Americans in charge, and now we'd have even more available since the current wage bill is so much lower.

Cost-cutting in the Championship makes sense but if we went up history suggests we'd buy lots of bad £15m players.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:02 - Dec 28 with 2914 viewsmonmouth

This season? Yes. As anything other than a very short term fix and retrenchment, absolutely not.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:10 - Dec 28 with 2907 viewsDarran

Shouldn’t the thread title be “are you satisfied with mid table Championship stability?”

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:12 - Dec 28 with 2906 views34dfgdf54

If someone offered me 12th now at the end, I would take their hands off.

Next year depends on what happens in the summer. This team needs a lot of strengthening and I’m not convinced while the Americans are here we’ll have the resources to do so in just a few windows. It will be small steps and it’s imperative Potter is given time, which I think he will be.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 12:14]
Login to get fewer ads

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:18 - Dec 28 with 2887 viewsjackrmee

I would be satisfied with midtable stability for now and even a few seasons, but I don't believe we are championship club.
I think we are a premier league club in the making.
I would not like to get promoted yet, but I know we will and I want us to be ready for it.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:19 - Dec 28 with 2887 viewsBloodyhills

I think for this season mid table stability is fine but longer term you' think the aspiration is to get promoted and looking at what the opposition is like I don't see that that is an aspiration too far.

I suppose the bottom line is though that we need to survive economically.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:40 - Dec 28 with 2842 viewsGlyn1

"Or would you be disappointed if the club's ambition doesn't go higher than that? (play offs/promotion)."

Loaded question. It's not a case of the club not being ambitious if we end up mid-table this season - it's a case of us getting the foundations right and finding our feet again after a disastrous couple of years. I'd be happy if we finished mid-table so long as there are signs of progress, which I think that there are.

It's next season that I'd want us to be targeting promotion with a squad and manager that has gained more experience. If we got promoted with this team we'd immediately be in the relegation battle for the rest of the season wouldn't we.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:42 - Dec 28 with 2841 viewsswancity

Look at the wider issues. The Club is in decline.

Since relegation a profit of over £30m yes £30m has been made in the transfer market and alongside parachute payments that means a massive increase to the bank balance. That money wasn’t reinvested in team strengthening unlike other relegated Clubs WBA and Stoke who are at least showing ambition

The supporters have accepted mediocrity. The previous owners have shown their true colours and I hope that eventually their actions are challenged legally. The Club is drifting towards mediocrity and will sink ultimately into League One or Two following other once proud Clubs like Coventry Portsmouth and Sunderland. Only then will the penny really drop and people will realise that the club has been shafted again.

But meanwhile we can all sit back and accept what is bordering on rubbish.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:48 - Dec 28 with 2834 viewsjackrmee

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:42 - Dec 28 by swancity

Since relegation a profit of over £30m yes £30m has been made in the transfer market and alongside parachute payments that means a massive increase to the bank balance. That money wasn’t reinvested in team strengthening unlike other relegated Clubs WBA and Stoke who are at least showing ambition

The supporters have accepted mediocrity. The previous owners have shown their true colours and I hope that eventually their actions are challenged legally. The Club is drifting towards mediocrity and will sink ultimately into League One or Two following other once proud Clubs like Coventry Portsmouth and Sunderland. Only then will the penny really drop and people will realise that the club has been shafted again.

You think Potter is bordering on rubbish?

How about our young players?
What about our passing football?
Our ground?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:06 - Dec 28 with 2808 viewssainthelens

Not a question of are we satisfied? We wanna see a plan in place to get us back to the PL within next 2/3seasons. It grips my shite to see the likes of Huddersfield/Bournemouth scum etc up there, when we all know we should still be there! I get the feeling Huw and his pals will be happy taking a decent wage whilst we minge around like an Ipswich in this league next 10 yrs.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:11 - Dec 28 with 2791 viewsjasper_T

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:12 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

If someone offered me 12th now at the end, I would take their hands off.

Next year depends on what happens in the summer. This team needs a lot of strengthening and I’m not convinced while the Americans are here we’ll have the resources to do so in just a few windows. It will be small steps and it’s imperative Potter is given time, which I think he will be.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 12:14]

For someone so quick to defend Potter every time he gets some stick you don't seem to have much faith in him (or is it our players you don't rate?). Are you so afraid of relegation that you'd end the season for 12th place?

If we fall further down the league in the back end of the season it would be difficult to argue that Potter is making small steps in anything but the wrong direction. It would place his management ability on around the same level as Carvalhal, who succeeded (by his own admission) via the element of surprise, and floundered other managers sussed him out.

Worst case we finish 15th/16th somewhere, best case we make the playoffs (top two is probably out of reach given the month we've had). Why settle for 12th now when there's everything to gain and nothing or importance to lose?
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:19 - Dec 28 with 2776 viewsdickythorpe

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 12:42 - Dec 28 by swancity

Hard to argue with that. Too many see Potter as this saviour and use the "yanks" as an all too easy excuse.

It's a results business and far better and bigger managers than him have found that out.

We have a month I think to see what the ambitions and ability of this club really are.
If we don't improve I think we could well be another Portsmouth, Coventry etc....... I hope not but there is a complacent air amongst many that all will be alright.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:42 - Dec 28 with 2741 viewsgiantstoneater

The way the squad was butchered we would never be in a position to mount a concerted effort to make the playoffs so mid table stability it is, but that can be a dangerous target in itself, there is still a long way to go this season and we have a window upcoming and we will soon see what sort of backing Potter will get by the board. My guess that after the parachute payments have cried up The Board will soon lose interest.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:49 - Dec 28 with 2735 views34dfgdf54

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:11 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

For someone so quick to defend Potter every time he gets some stick you don't seem to have much faith in him (or is it our players you don't rate?). Are you so afraid of relegation that you'd end the season for 12th place?

If we fall further down the league in the back end of the season it would be difficult to argue that Potter is making small steps in anything but the wrong direction. It would place his management ability on around the same level as Carvalhal, who succeeded (by his own admission) via the element of surprise, and floundered other managers sussed him out.

Worst case we finish 15th/16th somewhere, best case we make the playoffs (top two is probably out of reach given the month we've had). Why settle for 12th now when there's everything to gain and nothing or importance to lose?

Wrong choice of words, I don’t believe we will be anywhere near the play offs and no where near bottom 3,12th would me more than acceptable.

To your question do I rate the players here? Depends if you mean do I think they should be challenging for top 2 / top 6? Nowhere near. Potters doing a fantastic job, stopping the slide, changing a whole style of play trying to get us back to the principles what got us success in the past, it doesn’t just happen over night. Those on here saying this years aim was promotion is living in an absolute dream world.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 14:02]
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 14:12 - Dec 28 with 2707 viewsjasper_T

In a division where more than a dozen teams start the season aspiring to the playoffs there was no reason then and little reason now to think we shouldn't be in the hunt for 6th spot. It's a tight league and teams that put together strong, consistent performances for a full season claim automatic spots more often than not.

But for some fine margins (Joe Allen's goal, Bony's pen) and a badly managed lead at Rotherham we'd be looking at the dips in form Boro and Sheff Utd are having with great interest.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 14:30 - Dec 28 with 2681 viewsswan65split

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:19 - Dec 28 by dickythorpe

Hard to argue with that. Too many see Potter as this saviour and use the "yanks" as an all too easy excuse.

It's a results business and far better and bigger managers than him have found that out.

We have a month I think to see what the ambitions and ability of this club really are.
If we don't improve I think we could well be another Portsmouth, Coventry etc....... I hope not but there is a complacent air amongst many that all will be alright.

This

if they are thinking of the future, its Jan too start getting the players in, a team needs time to blend and improve.,,,,,,Owners intentions will be clear in Jan.

I feel its the latter, we showed we could compete in the Prem, until greed and incompetence kicked in.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 15:12 - Dec 28 with 2650 views34dfgdf54

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 13:19 - Dec 28 by dickythorpe

I don’t think we can judge in January Dicky. Please don’t take this as me sticking up for the yanks and Huw, because I despise the tw*ts if I’m being honest. But I can see why we have made the cuts we have this year, and will continue the cuts in January. The yanks have pretty much said this has to happen, I just have no idea why Huw is still here though.

Next summer is where we will see where we stand in terms of ambition for me.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 15:15 - Dec 28 with 2638 viewsphact0rri

What others are saying several seasons solidifying and being mid table in the championship sounds fine with me, if we are seeing improvement and getting out center for a proper push for promotion.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 15:55 - Dec 28 with 2585 viewsBadlands

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 08:16 - Dec 28 by cmajack

Manager? It hasn't been the manager bringing in players since laudrup. It's been our wonderful d.o.f that has been snapping up these amazing bargains the last few seasons. If you ask me managers since laudrup have had very little input into player recruitment.

Monk had everything he asked for.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 15:58 - Dec 28 with 2581 viewsjacksfullaces

Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 15:12 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

I don’t think we can judge in January Dicky. Please don’t take this as me sticking up for the yanks and Huw, because I despise the tw*ts if I’m being honest. But I can see why we have made the cuts we have this year, and will continue the cuts in January. The yanks have pretty much said this has to happen, I just have no idea why Huw is still here though.

Next summer is where we will see where we stand in terms of ambition for me.

what do you think their ambitions were when we were in the premier league?

and can that be used to inform what their ambitions might be now?

Or do you think they are still working them out whilst they return us to ground zero?

perhaps it might be reasonable to assume at that point their ambition may then be to simply maintain a low cost ship?

by the number of questions I ask, you will see I don't have the answers, but I don't fell the owners do either as it goes.
Would you be satisfied with mid table Championship stability? on 16:06 - Dec 28 with 2577 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

I would snap your hands off now, for mid table obscurity. Who the feck is going to score us enough goals , even to keep us up?
Forget sick note Bony.
And forget the Yanks bringing in a striker, of any experience, it ain’t going to happen.
Who in their right mind would take a chance, on Bony, and his 120,000 grand a WEEK ??
Come January,when the Shysters sell Conor Roberts, and bring Jack shite experience into the side, we will be craving for mid table obscurity, when April approaches.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024