Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oli McBurnie 10:31 - Jul 27 with 51346 viewsjackharris

There has been talk this morning that a 18 million bid has been accepted from Sheffield United? I wonder how true this is? Is anyone able to shed some light. We will see at 2pm today when the team sheet is published.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Oli McBurnie on 14:14 - Jul 29 with 2386 viewswaynekerr55

Oli McBurnie on 13:51 - Jul 29 by londonlisa2001

This close season is beginning to look a little weak again.

Players earmarked for leaving still with us, Jordan Ayew aside.

Positions mentioned as requiring strengthening not done as yet - left back replacement for Olsson in which is good, centre half replacement for CCV done which is also good, but others mentioned (forward and wide player) not done. If McBurnie goes, which I imagine is going to happen, that leaves us another forward short. Baston could be considered as one of the necessary forwards but that’s a great financial cost.

I’m a little confused why CBR hasn’t been used more - has he been injured? We’ve known for a while McBurnie may go, so not sure why we wouldn’t work with what’s likely to be left.

Lot of work required in the next week or so, and we go into the season not really knowing what we will have. That’s not great.

Bless CBR but to be fair it seems like he's out of his depth. He traps the ball further than most of us can kick it.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Oli McBurnie on 14:16 - Jul 29 with 2361 viewsjasper_T

Oli McBurnie on 13:42 - Jul 29 by jack247

We’re in managed decline under these guys. All I can see happening is us plodding along, selling a player whenever we get a good offer for him and replacing cheaply/from the development setup.

It’s easy to give examples of players who’ve been sold for big money and successfully replaced for peanuts, but it’s not a viable long term strategy, it just erodes the quality of our squad.

If McB goes for £20m, that’s £35m plus whatever we got for Ayew. Bony, Ayew,Fer, Olsson off the wage bill. How big is this black hole?

PL income was ~£120m. This season it'll be ~£50m. Next season ~£30m.

Black holes don't get filled they keep sucking.
Oli McBurnie on 14:17 - Jul 29 with 2334 views34dfgdf54

Oli McBurnie on 14:16 - Jul 29 by jasper_T

Our outgoings have significantly decreased to what it was in the Premier League so what point are you trying to make?
Oli McBurnie on 14:32 - Jul 29 with 2211 viewsLuther27

Remind us all of Birch's statement to the fans at the Q&A. Didn't one part of it go along the lines of we do not need to sell?
As for black holes, this club seems to have a knack of kicking its supporters right up their blackholes every time we have something to celebrate.
Oli McBurnie on 14:37 - Jul 29 with 2161 viewsjack247

We’ve easily saved £70m between the fire sale, getting big earners off the books and selling off the silver in James and quite possibly McBurnie.

Who knew PL relegation was a never ending financial vortex.
Oli McBurnie on 14:43 - Jul 29 with 2112 viewsshandyjack

we have always sold players when an offer too good to be true has come in regardless of when we were in Pl to league 1. We did it with Sinclair, Bony, Siggy, way back to Torpey. It's what we do and also what nearly every team like us has done. We sell our best assists in their prime for the top price we can get

Poll: Expectation for the season

Oli McBurnie on 14:51 - Jul 29 with 2041 viewsjack247

Oli McBurnie on 14:43 - Jul 29 by shandyjack

we have always sold players when an offer too good to be true has come in regardless of when we were in Pl to league 1. We did it with Sinclair, Bony, Siggy, way back to Torpey. It's what we do and also what nearly every team like us has done. We sell our best assists in their prime for the top price we can get

Selling top players is part and parcel for pretty much every club. Consistently selling and not reinvesting isn’t.
Oli McBurnie on 14:53 - Jul 29 with 2026 viewsLuther27

Oli McBurnie on 14:43 - Jul 29 by shandyjack

And look where that's got us.
Login to get fewer ads

Oli McBurnie on 14:54 - Jul 29 with 2012 viewsandypitt56

Oli McBurnie on 14:51 - Jul 29 by jack247

Selling top players is part and parcel for pretty much every club. Consistently selling and not reinvesting isn’t.

They have reinvested in the past. Its just they reinvested in a load of crap. as previously mentioned we signed Celina for 4M last season and signed a few others. I have no doubt that they will sign replacements, whether they are any good is another thing!
Oli McBurnie on 15:15 - Jul 29 with 1817 viewsjack247

Oli McBurnie on 14:54 - Jul 29 by andypitt56

They have reinvested in the past. Its just they reinvested in a load of crap. as previously mentioned we signed Celina for 4M last season and signed a few others. I have no doubt that they will sign replacements, whether they are any good is another thing!

You’re more optimistic than me. If McBurnie goes for £20m they’d have to look at another striker. I wouldn’t expect them to replace Dan James, especially if McBurnie stays.
Oli McBurnie on 15:18 - Jul 29 with 1785 viewsandypitt56

Oli McBurnie on 15:15 - Jul 29 by jack247

You’re more optimistic than me. If McBurnie goes for £20m they’d have to look at another striker. I wouldn’t expect them to replace Dan James, especially if McBurnie stays.

I dont know how we were going to replace james anyway at least not like for like. Hopefully the new head of recruitment knows of a few gems.
Oli McBurnie on 15:32 - Jul 29 with 1650 viewsLuther27

Oli McBurnie on 15:18 - Jul 29 by andypitt56

I dont know how we were going to replace james anyway at least not like for like. Hopefully the new head of recruitment knows of a few gems.

Assoro was bought by Potter as a first team player. When his form suffered James was brought in. The rest is history.
Oli McBurnie on 15:46 - Jul 29 with 1523 viewslondonlisa2001

PL income wasn’t £120m. We received c. £98.5m in our last season.

You’re right to point out the significant drop in total income, however. But large chunks of that were recovered by significant numbers of player sales last summer and also relegation clauses in contracts.

Plus more departures this summer of out of contract players (Bony, Fer, Olsson) and the sale of James has had another big impact. Plus Jordan Ayew has gone, shifting another expensive player.

The issue is our failure so far, to offload the others we were hoping to leave (Ayew, Montero, Baston). For all the talk of how well it’s going, and some aspects of club management have seen a pleasing improvement, that’s quite alarming at the moment.

If McBurnie goes, it will be less as a function of filling the premier league hole and more as a means of making up for us not being able to get rid of people that were the top of this summer’s ‘to do’ list. Hopefully we will get shot of Ayew and Montero (in particular) before the summer comes to a close, but we will need to move sharply to bring in even the squad reinforcements that were deemed essential before McBurnie’s departure was considered likely.
Oli McBurnie on 15:53 - Jul 29 with 1468 viewsshandyjack

Oli McBurnie on 15:46 - Jul 29 by londonlisa2001

You’re right to point out the significant drop in total income, however. But large chunks of that were recovered by significant numbers of player sales last summer and also relegation clauses in contracts.

Plus more departures this summer of out of contract players (Bony, Fer, Olsson) and the sale of James has had another big impact. Plus Jordan Ayew has gone, shifting another expensive player.

The issue is our failure so far, to offload the others we were hoping to leave (Ayew, Montero, Baston). For all the talk of how well it’s going, and some aspects of club management have seen a pleasing improvement, that’s quite alarming at the moment.

If McBurnie goes, it will be less as a function of filling the premier league hole and more as a means of making up for us not being able to get rid of people that were the top of this summer’s ‘to do’ list. Hopefully we will get shot of Ayew and Montero (in particular) before the summer comes to a close, but we will need to move sharply to bring in even the squad reinforcements that were deemed essential before McBurnie’s departure was considered likely.

a big problem we have is that outside of UK the window doesn't end till 31 Aug, meaning clubs who may fancy Ayew or Montero(if there are any) are in no rush to come in for them before 8 Aug, this hinders us getting in players as we have no guarantee what will happen with Aye/Jeff on 31 Aug. We could get players in and be stuck with Jeff and Ayew's wages, crippling us even further

Poll: Expectation for the season

Oli McBurnie on 15:55 - Jul 29 with 1436 viewsmagicdaps10

I for one cay argue with us accepting 20m for Mcburnie, it is an incredible price, what I can argue with, it changes the whole dynamic of what we are able to do but I have concerns if it would be done.

20m would enable us to go out and actually buy a replacement and another one or two players, potentially strengthen the squad with up to 3 possible new recruits..... This is what would boil my blood if it were not to happen NOT the fact that we would be selling Mcburnie for 20M.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Oli McBurnie on 15:55 - Jul 29 with 1439 viewsjasper_T

Oli McBurnie on 15:32 - Jul 29 by Luther27

Assoro was bought by Potter as a first team player. When his form suffered James was brought in. The rest is history.

And if Dyer and Routs had been made available he might never have had a look in except while on loan at Yeovil.

Can count on one hand the number of people on here that rated him 12 months ago.
Oli McBurnie on 16:06 - Jul 29 with 1334 viewslondonlisa2001

Oli McBurnie on 15:53 - Jul 29 by shandyjack

a big problem we have is that outside of UK the window doesn't end till 31 Aug, meaning clubs who may fancy Ayew or Montero(if there are any) are in no rush to come in for them before 8 Aug, this hinders us getting in players as we have no guarantee what will happen with Aye/Jeff on 31 Aug. We could get players in and be stuck with Jeff and Ayew's wages, crippling us even further

Yes, I agree.

That makes it an incredibly difficult path to navigate. Hence why we have been attempting to get business sorted earlier.

Failing to move out Ayew / Montero isn’t a reflection of Birch’s focus. It’s a reflection of the appalling business done in the past.
Oli McBurnie on 16:07 - Jul 29 with 1329 viewsTom1912

Oli McBurnie on 15:46 - Jul 29 by londonlisa2001

It's pretty quite difficult for football clubs to ship out players they don't want, especially if they're trying to limit the cost hit as much as possible. Club management are pretty limited in what they can do.

The club will have made its' position on the player's future clear, and their agent will have shopped them around but it's likely most enquiries will be well below what we're paying them now. So what do we do? Take a big hit and settle their contract up or wait it out and hope a better offer comes in?

If no one wants them, there's not really a whole lot we can do. The mismanagement was in the past, signing these players up to these deals, and now we're very much at the mercy of someone coming in with genuine interest.
Oli McBurnie on 16:11 - Jul 29 with 1290 viewslondonlisa2001

Oli McBurnie on 16:07 - Jul 29 by Tom1912

It's pretty quite difficult for football clubs to ship out players they don't want, especially if they're trying to limit the cost hit as much as possible. Club management are pretty limited in what they can do.

The club will have made its' position on the player's future clear, and their agent will have shopped them around but it's likely most enquiries will be well below what we're paying them now. So what do we do? Take a big hit and settle their contract up or wait it out and hope a better offer comes in?

If no one wants them, there's not really a whole lot we can do. The mismanagement was in the past, signing these players up to these deals, and now we're very much at the mercy of someone coming in with genuine interest.

Yes - I’ve already said similar in my post above, which you probably didn’t see before posting.

The big takeaway, is for a few years, those of us, including the Trust, calling for Jenkins to be replaced, were told we could never find anyone who could do a better job. And yet we have. Funny that.

If only the club had listened to the Trust’s calls for him to be replaced when first made, we possibly would be nowhere near this position now.
Oli McBurnie on 16:16 - Jul 29 with 1245 viewsLuther27

Oli McBurnie on 16:11 - Jul 29 by londonlisa2001

Yes - I’ve already said similar in my post above, which you probably didn’t see before posting.

The big takeaway, is for a few years, those of us, including the Trust, calling for Jenkins to be replaced, were told we could never find anyone who could do a better job. And yet we have. Funny that.

If only the club had listened to the Trust’s calls for him to be replaced when first made, we possibly would be nowhere near this position now.

Let's judge Birch over a period of time Lisa. The season hasn't started yet.
Oli McBurnie on 16:18 - Jul 29 with 1213 viewsDippy

We've got to accept 20 million surely... That's insane money for let's face it, a championship level player

Poll: Cooper Out

Oli McBurnie on 16:21 - Jul 29 with 1188 viewsSwansea93

Oli McBurnie on 16:18 - Jul 29 by Dippy

We've got to accept 20 million surely... That's insane money for let's face it, a championship level player

Who replaces his goals,personality,influence on the pitch?

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Oli McBurnie on 16:25 - Jul 29 with 1138 viewsDippy

Oli McBurnie on 16:21 - Jul 29 by Swansea93

Who replaces his goals,personality,influence on the pitch?

We've replaced Trundle, Scotland, Sinclair.. who were much more influential than McBurnie

Poll: Cooper Out

Oli McBurnie on 16:26 - Jul 29 with 1128 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Oli McBurnie on 16:18 - Jul 29 by Dippy

The one thing I learned from the Siggy sale that timing was everything. The money is irrelevant if it's too late to use it this window.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Oli McBurnie on 16:26 - Jul 29 with 1127 viewslondonlisa2001

Oli McBurnie on 16:16 - Jul 29 by Luther27

Let's judge Birch over a period of time Lisa. The season hasn't started yet.

Indeed. I’m not joining in the love in. It’s too early. But he has already shown a level of competence only too rare in the past few years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024