Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cooper's training 12:18 - Sep 3 with 5955 viewsHeadmaster

Listened to this podcast earlier and Matt Grimes gave a short interview talking about Cooper's training compared to Potter's. It's about half-way through if anyone fancies a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07m9486
Cooper's training on 13:24 - Sep 3 with 4601 viewsFireboy2

Thanks for putting that on HM.

Very interesting indeed, potter being big on possession and coopers emphasis on winning.

What p!ssed me off alot last season was after we won the ball in a good attacking position instead of going for goal we decided to just keep the ball and pass it about and now we know why, potter was possession mad.

It looks like coopers attitude in training is the reason why we are top, what will be interesting is when we lose a game, what will hus reaction be in training.

Btw grimes' interview starts just after 26 minutes.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 13:25]
Cooper's training on 14:16 - Sep 3 with 4474 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cooper's training on 13:24 - Sep 3 by Fireboy2

Thanks for putting that on HM.

Very interesting indeed, potter being big on possession and coopers emphasis on winning.

What p!ssed me off alot last season was after we won the ball in a good attacking position instead of going for goal we decided to just keep the ball and pass it about and now we know why, potter was possession mad.

It looks like coopers attitude in training is the reason why we are top, what will be interesting is when we lose a game, what will hus reaction be in training.

Btw grimes' interview starts just after 26 minutes.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 13:25]

A good listen indeed. We, due to Cooper and his winning mentality are reaping the rewards already.
Long may it continue.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cooper's training on 15:02 - Sep 3 with 4343 viewsperchrockjack

If Potter was the Messiah,then Cooper is at least John the Baptist.

He is miles more effective than the bland,boring Potter, a man who seemed ambivolent about everything yet told us nothing .

In signing Bony ,he has signed his suicide note.

What a friend we have in Stevie.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Cooper's training on 15:09 - Sep 3 with 4334 viewsjasper_T

Cooper's training on 14:16 - Sep 3 by Brynmill_Jack

A good listen indeed. We, due to Cooper and his winning mentality are reaping the rewards already.
Long may it continue.

Having lost Potter's focus on not burning out after Christmas maybe it won't.
Cooper's training on 15:31 - Sep 3 with 4284 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cooper's training on 15:09 - Sep 3 by jasper_T

Having lost Potter's focus on not burning out after Christmas maybe it won't.

We’ve got a lot of squad depth now and Cooper will be smart enough to use that wisely.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cooper's training on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 4258 viewsUxbridge

There were a lot of positives to take from Potter's approach last season. And, after a few seasons where we treated the ball as some sort of alien object, we needed to relearn how to play football.

Far too early to form any conclusions about style yet. We've been a bit too open at times this season for my liking, but we've also made better use of the ball in an attacking sense. Some games we've seen less of the ball but in at least two of those games I think that's down to playing poorly for 45 minutes (Preston being an obvious example there).

Some of this may be due to the change in personnel as much as anything. Ayew plays narrower than James did. Baston and McBurnie are quite different animals.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Cooper's training on 15:42 - Sep 3 with 4223 viewsFireboy2

Cooper's training on 15:31 - Sep 3 by Brynmill_Jack

We’ve got a lot of squad depth now and Cooper will be smart enough to use that wisely.

This is the reason why we probably wont burn out.
Cooper's training on 16:26 - Sep 3 with 4114 viewsswan_si

Cooper's training on 14:16 - Sep 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Long may it continue.

You could see Cooper's winning mentality at Leeds at the weekend, 89/90 minute corner we have 6 men in the box and 2 on the outskirts, it would have been easier/wiser to take a short corner and keep the ball but we went for the win and deserved it.
Login to get fewer ads

Cooper's training on 16:57 - Sep 3 with 4036 viewsDr_Winston

It's slightly disappointing, not to mention tempting fate, that just six games into the season reasons are being looked for to bash Potter.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cooper's training on 17:01 - Sep 3 with 4016 viewsbazzool

Cooper's training on 15:02 - Sep 3 by perchrockjack

He is miles more effective than the bland,boring Potter, a man who seemed ambivolent about everything yet told us nothing .

Yes and what makes it better is he's WELSH !!!
Cooper's training on 17:28 - Sep 3 with 3951 viewsjackrmee

Cooper's training on 16:26 - Sep 3 by swan_si

You could see Cooper's winning mentality at Leeds at the weekend, 89/90 minute corner we have 6 men in the box and 2 on the outskirts, it would have been easier/wiser to take a short corner and keep the ball but we went for the win and deserved it.

Surely any manager or player would try and score from a corner in the last minute? I don't think that is an indication of attacking intent tbh.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Cooper's training on 17:54 - Sep 3 with 3877 viewsswan_si

Cooper's training on 17:28 - Sep 3 by jackrmee

Surely any manager or player would try and score from a corner in the last minute? I don't think that is an indication of attacking intent tbh.

Not if you're happy to settle for a point.
Cooper's training on 18:06 - Sep 3 with 3849 viewswaynekerr55

Cooper's training on 15:02 - Sep 3 by perchrockjack

John the Baptist 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Cooper's training on 18:13 - Sep 3 with 3824 viewsjack247

Cooper's training on 16:57 - Sep 3 by Dr_Winston

It's slightly disappointing, not to mention tempting fate, that just six games into the season reasons are being looked for to bash Potter.

Disappointing, but not surprising. Cooper will get the same treatment if and when he ever moves on.

Potter made mistakes, but overall he did a very good job for us with a very young team. Premier League teams, even the bottom feeders, don’t appoint managers who did an average job in the Championship.

Most of that team has a years experience playing a very broadly similar style in the Championship. Oli McBurnie and Dan James have gone from relative perspective unknowns outside of Swansea into the £35m that possibly allows us to keep Ayew and Baston and mount a promotion challenge. Potter (along with Toshack and Richards obviously) deserves a lot of credit for that.
Cooper's training on 18:23 - Sep 3 with 3788 viewsDr_Winston

Cooper's training on 18:13 - Sep 3 by jack247

Disappointing, but not surprising. Cooper will get the same treatment if and when he ever moves on.

Potter made mistakes, but overall he did a very good job for us with a very young team. Premier League teams, even the bottom feeders, don’t appoint managers who did an average job in the Championship.

Most of that team has a years experience playing a very broadly similar style in the Championship. Oli McBurnie and Dan James have gone from relative perspective unknowns outside of Swansea into the £35m that possibly allows us to keep Ayew and Baston and mount a promotion challenge. Potter (along with Toshack and Richards obviously) deserves a lot of credit for that.

We appointed one who'd never managed at all, and one from the MLS.

You're right in general though.

There are slight similarities for me with the Potter era and the Sousa one. Both took over a club in flux, shorn of a number of key players and both did a sterling job in steadying the ship, providing effective, if not always enthralling football (more so the latter for Sousa, but then Potter had better forwards available) before promptly buggering off for pastures greener.

Both deserve more credit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cooper's training on 18:30 - Sep 3 with 3752 viewsFireboy2

I dont think people are necessarily bashing him Doc, we are just talking about how different both managers are, im sure in a few games we could be talking about coopers weaknesses.
Cooper's training on 18:31 - Sep 3 with 3744 viewsmagicdaps10

Gotta jump in here, Potter is having a lot of unfair stick here. Potter done a fantastic job with what he had at his disposal.

As for Cooper, so far so good.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Cooper's training on 18:33 - Sep 3 with 3733 viewsGlyn1

Cooper's training on 17:28 - Sep 3 by jackrmee

Plenty of managers would have ordered their player to kick a short ball to another player and keep it in the corner for a well deserved point. Leeds have a bit of a reputation for scoring late goals.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Cooper's training on 19:03 - Sep 3 with 3619 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Cooper's training on 18:31 - Sep 3 by magicdaps10

Gotta jump in here, Potter is having a lot of unfair stick here. Potter done a fantastic job with what he had at his disposal.

As for Cooper, so far so good.

You and the Doc are spreading fairy dust over Potter.
This is the guy that took a brilliant Mulder out of Goal and put in Nordfelt and left him there despite it being obvious to every fan he was having mares week in week out.
You are talking about the guy who continued to play Asoro who was also not up to the job and barely good enough for the U23s.
You are talking about the guy that kept playing players out of position when it was obvious to all of us that it wasn't working very well.
The same guy that kept getting the starting team wrong and making bizarre subs.
Discounting all of that he was a great Manager, OK if you say so.

Most of the time when Cooper makes Subs he improves the team.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 22:00]
Cooper's training on 19:11 - Sep 3 with 3590 viewsPacemaker

Not seen any training sessions by the squad under any manager of ours and on most Saturday warm ups it’s usually a small squad pass and move session, however prior to the Cambridge game I noticed that the entire team including the keeper was involved.

That pass and move session and pass across the box was replicated throughout the game, it’s what you should expect but I don’t think I have seen it a warm up before. I was quite impressed just seeing something different to be honest, I am easily pleased though.

As regards Potter, Sousa et al they have all given us something, when I remember how solid we were under Sousa I can almost forgive the lack of attacking entertainment we were served, but it came in useful to have players who had been well drilled on shape and defence.

Even Bob made us realise that some people are just not suited to your club, or any club for that matter.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Cooper's training on 19:11 - Sep 3 with 3590 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I tend to agree, it is still early and Potter had a lot of work to do to get a team together last summer in difficult circumstances.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Cooper's training on 19:15 - Sep 3 with 3576 viewsBobblehat

Cooper's training on 19:03 - Sep 3 by A_Fans_Dad

This is the guy that took a brilliant Mulder out of Goal and put in Nordfelt and left him there despite it being obvious to every fan he was having mares week in week out.
You are talking about the guy who continued to play Asoro who was also not up to the job and barely good enough for the U23s.
You are talking about the guy that kept playing players out of position when it was obvious to all of us that it wasn't working very well.

This is also the guy that brought the football we all love back to swansea🤷‍♂️ I'll just leave that there😁🤫
Cooper's training on 19:19 - Sep 3 with 3565 viewsjack247

Cooper's training on 19:03 - Sep 3 by A_Fans_Dad

As with any manager, there were good and bad points.

Mulder was better than Nordfeldt in my opinion, but ‘brilliant’ is stretching the point substantially.
Asoro started 4 league games last season. Granted he came on as sub quite a lot.

If you want to ignore the transition he made from Clement/Carvahalball to the kind of football we played last season, with a decimated squad, plus the improvements he oversaw in Grimes and McBurnie along with James, Rodon and Byers, that’s your prerogative.

Cooper has made an incredible start and long may it continue. So far, he looks to have taken us up another level. Him being borderline faultless after 6 games doesn’t make Potter a failure.
Cooper's training on 19:42 - Sep 3 with 3500 viewsjasper_T

Potter was a net positive for the club so you're not allowed to talk about any of his specific negative qualities as that would be "bashing" him. Anyone who does so has an agenda to destabilise the club.

Cooper will be the same. We're winning, mun, just enjoy it. What's there to think about?
Cooper's training on 19:48 - Sep 3 with 3467 viewsjasper_T

Cooper's training on 19:19 - Sep 3 by jack247

As with any manager, there were good and bad points.

Mulder was better than Nordfeldt in my opinion, but ‘brilliant’ is stretching the point substantially.
Asoro started 4 league games last season. Granted he came on as sub quite a lot.

If you want to ignore the transition he made from Clement/Carvahalball to the kind of football we played last season, with a decimated squad, plus the improvements he oversaw in Grimes and McBurnie along with James, Rodon and Byers, that’s your prerogative.

Cooper has made an incredible start and long may it continue. So far, he looks to have taken us up another level. Him being borderline faultless after 6 games doesn’t make Potter a failure.

For half our squad the transition was from Toshack/Richards in the u23s to senior football. Their style of football didn't change dramatically, just the level. Potter benefited from a group of players used to keeping the ball, used to winning, and used to each other. By comparison his signings fell away from the first team picture rather quickly, Celina excepted.

The team that got relegated playing ugly, ineffective sht was mostly sold or returned from loan. Many of those that remained were injured for much for the season. It was an easier job than trying to change Stoke or West Brom's style of play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024