Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread 01:10 - Oct 14 with 24939 viewsjackharris

Sam Surridge and Tom Carroll make their first Championship
starts of the season for Swansea City at Barnsley. Striker Surridge —
fresh from scoring for England Under-21s over the international break
— is preferred to Borja Bastos in attack. Carroll, meanwhile, makes
his first league start in a year as he gets the nod in midfield as Jay Fulton
misses out on a place in the matchday squad.

Connor Roberts drops to the bench as Kyle Naughton moves to
right-back and Jake Bidwell comes back into the side at left-back,
while George Byers comes in for Yan Dhanda. Freddie Woodman
continues in goal with Naughton and Bidwell on the flanks of a
defence helmed by Mike van der Hoorn and Joe Rodon.
Carroll partners captain Matt Grimes in midfield, with Andre Ayew
and Bersant Celina playing either side of Byers. Surridge leads the line,
while Kristoffer Nordfeldt is among the substitutes following illness.

Barnsley: Brad Collins, Kenny Dougall, Jacob Brown, Cameron McGeehan,
Cauley Woodrow, Conor Chaplin, Dimitri Cavare, Toby Sibbick, Aapo Halme,
Alex Mowatt (captain), Bambo Diaby.

Substitutes: Jack Walton, Mads Andersen, Ben Williams, Mike Bahre,
Luke Thomas, Clarke Odour, Elliot Simoes.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Mike van der Hoorn,
Joe Rodon, Jake Bidwell; Matt Grimes (captain), Tom Carroll;
Andre Ayew, George Byers, Bersant Celina; Sam Surridge.

Substitutes: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Ben Wilmot, Connor Roberts,
Wayne Routledge, Kristoffer Peterson, Jordon Garrick, Borja Baston.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2019 14:06]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:45 - Oct 19 with 1639 viewsBadlands

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:58 - Oct 19 by 34dfgdf54

We are third? Is that not proving himself enough?

Where do you expect us to be in this league out of curiosity?

It isn't about where we are at the moment it's about where we are heading if he doesn't change things.
We've been dreadful, really dreadful since the last International break.
1 point from the 2 bottom teams - and deservedly so.
just 6 points from the 21 points on offer during that time.
And playing like strangers.
Surridge for Borja? Come off it.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:53 - Oct 19 with 1604 views34dfgdf54

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:45 - Oct 19 by Badlands

It isn't about where we are at the moment it's about where we are heading if he doesn't change things.

We are heading to mid table which is what I expected.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:04 - Oct 19 with 1584 viewsNeathJack

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:45 - Oct 19 by Badlands

3 games in a week mean that Surridge for Borja is a perfectly sensible selection for one of those 3 games.

At the very least it seems he's learning a little from the mistakes made from the lack of rotation in the previous 3 games in a week.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:58 - Oct 19 with 1474 viewsmajorraglan

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 19:58 - Oct 19 by 34dfgdf54

Third, but in a downward trajectory. Cooper needs to try and change things about. There are some big games in the next few weeks and let’s make no bones about it, play like that against Cardiff and the 3 points will be going up the M4 with Warnock and the trolls will be out in force.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 21:59 - Oct 19 with 1474 viewsLeonWasGod

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:53 - Oct 19 by 34dfgdf54

We are heading to mid table which is what I expected.

It is about expectations. That good start didn't do us any favours really from that point of view. I'm fairly sure the dominant view on here in the summer is that we'd be mid-table. I thought we would, and yes we probably will end up there.

Seasons ebb and flow. We're not imploding, so there's no panic, we're just not on our A game. It happens.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 22:47 - Oct 19 with 1407 viewsmonmouth

Don’t be silly, you know better than that. If he persists with the current approach we won’t be third for long.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 23:07 - Oct 19 with 1375 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:36 - Oct 19 by sainthelens

The negativity on here from some is mind numbing. If we are playing that badly and sit 3rd....fck me that'll do. Some need to weigh up what was expected at the start of the season and where we are now. Every side will hit a flat spot, ok, we need a bitta muscle in midfield but FFS get behind the lads.

The man talks sense.

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 01:40 - Oct 20 with 1252 viewsChief

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 20:36 - Oct 19 by sainthelens

The negativity on here from some is mind numbing. If we are playing that badly and sit 3rd....fck me that'll do. Some need to weigh up what was expected at the start of the season and where we are now. Every side will hit a flat spot, ok, we need a bitta muscle in midfield but FFS get behind the lads.

Totally agree with the vast majority of your post.

But do you think as a team, in October we are playing and putting performances in worthy of our lofty position?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 03:52 - Oct 20 with 1208 viewsTimTtam

I missed the game (we're still undefeated in games I haven't watched) but sounds like it was ugly.

Still, the midfield hasn't changed in terms of form or ability. After the last few weeks where Cooper and the players have come out and said stuff like 'it's unacceptable' or 'frustrating' to let leads slip or not make the most of dominance, nothing has changed. That tells me that the mindset of the players is fine. It's just that right now we're not a very good team.

Amazingly we're still 4th (will be when Forest win today) though. My early thoughts about it being a competitive championship are well and truly gone. Leeds have been hot and cold, yet are 2nd. Same with us at 3rd. Preston lost to Reading, and Stoke beat Fulham 2-0. No one is capitalising on other teams' failures except West Brom and Forest.

We're probably going to be one of those teams that does well against good sides, but lays an egg against relegation teams. Brentford will be a good indicator, since their confidence is high after scoring 3 goals in the last 14 minutes to come from 0-2 down to a 3-2 win. And since the game is on when I'll be asleep, we will not lose it

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 03:56 - Oct 20 with 1214 viewsdameedna

We are playing well enough to get promoted.

Every game is close.

When we dont play well or hit a team that has good game we dont buckle and keep going.

Hopefully Carroll and other will provide some impetus he is capable of running the show.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 04:01 - Oct 20 with 1206 viewsTimTtam

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 03:56 - Oct 20 by dameedna

Every game is close.

When we dont play well or hit a team that has good game we dont buckle and keep going.

Hopefully Carroll and other will provide some impetus he is capable of running the show.

As someone pointed out, we are 19th on the form table.

My name is Matt

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 04:20 - Oct 20 with 1199 views34dfgdf54

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 03:56 - Oct 20 by dameedna

Every game is close.

I’ve never seen evidence of Tom Carroll being good enough to run the show.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 07:59 - Oct 20 with 1126 viewsCaptain_Sham

Every game is close.

"Hopefully Carroll and other will provide some impetus he is capable of running the show."

If you go on BGT next year and tell that one.. Golden Buzzer.

[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 8:00]

Its just a ride.

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 08:10 - Oct 20 with 1107 views34dfgdf54

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 01:40 - Oct 20 by Chief

But do you think as a team, in October we are playing and putting performances in worthy of our lofty position?

No they are not, but it’s because, in my humble opinion, that we are in a false position.

We have good players in the team, Rodon, VDH, Ayew etc but have nothing in central midfield. I personally don’t rate any of our options in the middle, Grimes, Fulton and Byers not good enough and games are won and lost in that area. No legs, no physicality, it’s powder puff and it’s starting to show.Our last promotion team had Pratley and Allen, they covered every blade of glass and could play a bit aswell.

My only gripe with Cooper is the Celina situation, how it hasn’t been changed yet is beyond me. But all things considered he’s doing a fine job with the players he has at his disposal.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 09:07 - Oct 20 with 1041 viewssainthelens

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 01:40 - Oct 20 by Chief

Your last point may have some substance , but this isn't the PL, the standard throughout isn't great
The year the scum went up, their football was fckn awful....this league is about hanging around the top 6 no matter what.
We all want our controlled passing game, but this league is a fckn grind , it's been so long since we were here maybe we've forgotten that. This squad is perhaps not quite as talented as the one that Brenda took us up with. There are always pivotal weeks in a season, but the next 2 games are without doubt our biggest so far this season to really show what wer about .
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 09:19 - Oct 20 with 1025 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 08:10 - Oct 20 by 34dfgdf54

No they are not, but it’s because, in my humble opinion, that we are in a false position.

We have good players in the team, Rodon, VDH, Ayew etc but have nothing in central midfield. I personally don’t rate any of our options in the middle, Grimes, Fulton and Byers not good enough and games are won and lost in that area. No legs, no physicality, it’s powder puff and it’s starting to show.Our last promotion team had Pratley and Allen, they covered every blade of glass and could play a bit aswell.

My only gripe with Cooper is the Celina situation, how it hasn’t been changed yet is beyond me. But all things considered he’s doing a fine job with the players he has at his disposal.

We are one solid midfield player away from being a very good all round team. Unfortunately for Cooper the cupboard is bare. I think Fulton is a steady Eddie but have no faith Byers at all. Not good enough for this league.

If Wilmot could be intergrated into the CDM slot (especially for the types of games we’ve been struggling in , Stoke, Reading and now Barnsley) and push Grimes further forward behind Celina and put Routs on the left wing we’d manage these types of games better.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 09:34 - Oct 20 with 1006 viewsTimTtam

I looked, and Byers has played no league games as a central midfielder this season. He and Grimes were in the midfield together for quite a few games in the second half of last season. I do think he's physically weak and will get pushed off the ball easily, but maybe it's a way to get Grimes back into form? It's probably a wild theory, but I'm lost for ideas at this stage.

As others have said, if we had a quality midfielder and/or Grimes was back to his 2018/19 form, we would be top of the league and on our merry way.

My name is Matt

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 11:14 - Oct 20 with 898 viewsBadlands

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 09:07 - Oct 20 by sainthelens

Your last point may have some substance , but this isn't the PL, the standard throughout isn't great
The year the scum went up, their football was fckn awful....this league is about hanging around the top 6 no matter what.
We all want our controlled passing game, but this league is a fckn grind , it's been so long since we were here maybe we've forgotten that. This squad is perhaps not quite as talented as the one that Brenda took us up with. There are always pivotal weeks in a season, but the next 2 games are without doubt our biggest so far this season to really show what wer about .

Do you think we are grinding results?
When we put together our passing games (at least a half of the first 6 games) no-one came close to us.

Since Leeds (smash and grab but a win) we've picked up 6 points from a possible 21, played appallingly poor football, take 1 point from games against the 2 bottom clubs.
Unless something radical happens soon we could be in real trouble.
Decent players will certainly be looking to move in January if we drop to the bottom half of the table.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 11:31 - Oct 20 with 886 viewssainthelens

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 11:14 - Oct 20 by Badlands

Do you think we are grinding results?
When we put together our passing games (at least a half of the first 6 games) no-one came close to us.

Since Leeds (smash and grab but a win) we've picked up 6 points from a possible 21, played appallingly poor football, take 1 point from games against the 2 bottom clubs.
Unless something radical happens soon we could be in real trouble.
Decent players will certainly be looking to move in January if we drop to the bottom half of the table.

Results at Charlton and Barnsley were a bit of a grind imo. We have dropped points cos we've gone to sleep in final minutes of games. But yes, our passing game has deserted us last few weeks. No excuses, but maybe few reasons, one being we can't get going after an international break...the other being blatantly obvious is the positioning of Celina. Should the next couple of games go tits up, then I'd be a little concerned. Until then, we are 3rd for a reason.
The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 12:08 - Oct 20 with 848 viewsSwansea93

Borja was livid full time, he quickly waved to the fans and headed down the tunnel, I don't understand why he was dropped, maybe because the 3 games in a week or because Surridge scored for England U21s?

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

The Official Barnsley FC v Swansea City Match Thread on 12:29 - Oct 20 with 828 viewsjruss1

It's 100% because of the 3 game week. Borja was excellent vs Reading and Charlton but looked knackered come the Stoke game.

I would rather have him out there for both home games this week so think it was the right call.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024