Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Labour Party 15:16 - Jan 5 with 19194 viewsPegojack

I watched the Andrew Marr Show this morning from beginning to end and, as a lifelong Labour Party voter and supporter, I have to say I was moderately encouraged.
The election defeat was about as devastating a kicking as a political party can sustain but, and it's a big but, if the party has learned the lesson and has the good sense to choose Kier Starmer as leader, with maybe Jess Philips or Lisa Tandy as deputy, the next five years could be very interesting.
Dominic Raab did nothing to assuage my opinion that he's an incompetent idiot way out of his depth, and I think he's indicative of the general level of incompetence in Boris's cabinet. I think Starmer's clinical and incisive lawyer's mind will make mincemeat of the Eton windbag and his collection of disfunctional idiots. If they can clear out all vestiges of Corbynism and keep chipping away at Boris as the disaster of five years of unchecked extreme right wing Toryism unfolds, I see a promising future for Labour.
What do you think, chaps and chapesses? Always interested in particular in the balanced opinions of Kerouac, Jango and the Symonds Yat village idiot.
The Labour Party on 14:47 - Jan 6 with 1679 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 13:37 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

A bit like Boris's Cabinet then, only considerably more "democratic".

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/faq/8/how-are-the-commission-president-an
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 13:40]

Is that ignoring that Von der Leyen wasn't even in the nominations to be an EU President but still got the top job?
She was a compromise candidate because they couldn't get a QM for the others.

Though seeing as none of the Euro Commission or the Presidents are elected by the people how can they be more democratic than Bojo's cabinet? Bojo has one unelected member, currently.

PS, I read today that plans to reform the HoL are on Bojo's desk. If true I bet it goes nowhere as near far enough as most of us would want.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Labour Party on 14:50 - Jan 6 with 1668 viewsWarwickHunt

The Labour Party on 14:47 - Jan 6 by Catullus

Is that ignoring that Von der Leyen wasn't even in the nominations to be an EU President but still got the top job?
She was a compromise candidate because they couldn't get a QM for the others.

Though seeing as none of the Euro Commission or the Presidents are elected by the people how can they be more democratic than Bojo's cabinet? Bojo has one unelected member, currently.

PS, I read today that plans to reform the HoL are on Bojo's desk. If true I bet it goes nowhere as near far enough as most of us would want.

They are elected by numerous people who've been elected. It's not rocket science.

Johnson is one man picking whoever he chooses.
The Labour Party on 14:51 - Jan 6 with 1659 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Labour Party on 17:44 - Jan 5 by Highjack

Sir Keir would be interesting in the sense that he might struggle to appeal to many traditional labour voters, but he would certainly appeal to a lot of Tory voters. Corbyn’s big problem apart from being more useless than Jake Bidwell of course was that he was preaching to the converted and had no chance of attracting Tory votes, which any labour leader must do.

I think Sir Keir may do that.

Best of a bad bunch, I quite like Lisa Nandy but she has no chance and is too inexperienced, Wrong Daily would keep them out of power for ten years and Thornberry would keep them out for fifteen years!
The Labour Party on 14:55 - Jan 6 with 1657 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 14:50 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

They are elected by numerous people who've been elected. It's not rocket science.

Chosen by other politicians is not properly elected. Maybe we should try that over here eh? How about we stop having General elections and let the mob in Westminster choose the government?

Would you support that change?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Labour Party on 15:08 - Jan 6 with 1646 viewsWarwickHunt

The Labour Party on 14:55 - Jan 6 by Catullus

Chosen by other politicians is not properly elected. Maybe we should try that over here eh? How about we stop having General elections and let the mob in Westminster choose the government?

Would you support that change?

Politicians are elected to do stuff on our behalf.

Hope this helps.
The Labour Party on 15:09 - Jan 6 with 1637 viewsHighjack

It’s not a proper election though is it? There aren’t multiple candidates with different view points standing off against each other and campaigning for votes. The parliament just gets the choice of “this is the commission, do you accept it or reject it?”

In the case of Ursula Von der Whatsherface she was literally the only name on the ballot paper for president, and she still only squeaked in by 30 or so votes.

Even the hardcore europhiles in the Parliament said it was a travesty of democracy and it’s no wonder the people of Europe want to break away.

Just saying “yes but Westminster is shit too” is not a good argument for staying in the EU. In fact it just reinforces the need to tear the whole thing up and start again.

Whoops sorry, off topic again.

I don’t think Sir Keir stands a chance. Momentum hold the power and there’s been a huge fuss made of the fact labour have never had a female leader. So it’s going to be RLD all the way.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Labour Party on 15:24 - Jan 6 with 1628 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The EU commissioners are not elected. Each of the 28 countries nominate 1 commissioner each. That is how the kinnocks and mandy got on the gravey train.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Labour Party on 15:34 - Jan 6 with 1616 viewsmonmouth

So three whole months to pick the next taxi off the rank then. Three months where Johnno remains totally unopposed while they pretend they are oh so important. They really are beyond any hope.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

The Labour Party on 15:34 - Jan 6 with 1616 viewsWarwickHunt

The Labour Party on 15:24 - Jan 6 by felixstowe_jack

The EU commissioners are not elected. Each of the 28 countries nominate 1 commissioner each. That is how the kinnocks and mandy got on the gravey train.

*gravy*

Anyway, once again for the benefit of the hard of thinking, elected people do the stuff they’ve been elected to do.
The Labour Party on 15:35 - Jan 6 with 1614 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 15:08 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

Hope this helps.

Looking at the last forty years or so not too many would stick their hand up and say it has, mate.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Labour Party on 16:39 - Jan 6 with 1571 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour Party on 15:34 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

*gravy*

Anyway, once again for the benefit of the hard of thinking, elected people do the stuff they’ve been elected to do.

"elected people do the stuff they’ve been elected to do"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Labour Party on 18:41 - Jan 6 with 1527 viewsWarwickHunt

The Labour Party on 15:35 - Jan 6 by Lohengrin

Looking at the last forty years or so not too many would stick their hand up and say it has, mate.

Theory.
The Labour Party on 19:05 - Jan 6 with 1513 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 15:34 - Jan 6 by monmouth

So three whole months to pick the next taxi off the rank then. Three months where Johnno remains totally unopposed while they pretend they are oh so important. They really are beyond any hope.

They’ve got five years at least of opposition. Better for them to take some time to hopefully get the right person. I’m not holding my breath on that mind.

Poll: Tory leader

The Labour Party on 19:29 - Jan 6 with 1487 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 15:08 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

Hope this helps.

No it doesn't, answer the question, would you support Westminster choosing who is in the UK government?

The EU is supposedly a representative democracy, we elect our representatives. We do not elect people who get to choose who gets to run the Commission or be President. Who outside the EU institutions has ever gotten to vote on the Commission or a President?

Hope this helps.

The Labour Party on 19:39 - Jan 6 with 1481 viewsHighjack

The Labour Party on 19:05 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

They’ve got five years at least of opposition. Better for them to take some time to hopefully get the right person. I’m not holding my breath on that mind.

The problem they have is that all of those who have thrown their hat in so far are much of a muchness and stand broadly on a ticket of let’s carry on with what we’ve been doing so badly at for the last ten years.

There’s nobody in there that is remotely different from what’s gone before.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Labour Party on 19:43 - Jan 6 with 1473 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 19:39 - Jan 6 by Highjack

The problem they have is that all of those who have thrown their hat in so far are much of a muchness and stand broadly on a ticket of let’s carry on with what we’ve been doing so badly at for the last ten years.

I don’t agree with that. None of Starmer, Phillips or Nandy can be remotely or sensibly described as continuity Corbyn acolytes. You could easily level that accusation at Long-Bailey, Lewis and (although to a lesser extent) Thornberry though.

The Labour Party on 19:44 - Jan 6 with 1472 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 19:39 - Jan 6 by Highjack

It may well have been better if Labour had split apart and then maybe the Corbynistas would have faded away and the rest could have started again. Any candidate who isn't an heir to Corbyn has to fight momentum too.

The Labour Party on 19:59 - Jan 6 with 1459 viewsWarwickHunt

The Labour Party on 19:29 - Jan 6 by Catullus

No it doesn't, answer the question, would you support Westminster choosing who is in the UK government?

The EU is supposedly a representative democracy, we elect our representatives. We do not elect people who get to choose who gets to run the Commission or be President. Who outside the EU institutions has ever gotten to vote on the Commission or a President?

Hope this helps.

“gotten” 😂

“would you support Westminster choosing who is in the UK government?”

What the actual fûck are you on about?
The Labour Party on 20:13 - Jan 6 with 1436 viewsLeonWasGod

The Labour Party on 19:29 - Jan 6 by Catullus

Hope this helps.

We do (often, but not always, see below) elect people who choose the Commission President and who nominate Commissioners and we directly elect MEPs who are involved in that process.

Agreed, we the public don’t get to vote for the Commissioners or the President, but then we don’t always get to vote for our PM (May and Boris first time, for example) and we never get to vote on positions in the cabinet (although elected people are chosen by the PM), and we never get to vote for the Lords who are a vital part of our system.

I don’t know why people have let themselves get so wound up over this. Broadly, the EU is no more or less democratic than the UK, just different. It’s the least of the problems facing us.
The Labour Party on 20:43 - Jan 6 with 1425 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 19:05 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

An atheist holding out hope for a resurrection?

The Labour Party on 20:50 - Jan 6 with 1417 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 18:41 - Jan 6 by WarwickHunt

Theory.

In theory Bowie’s Tin Machine ought to have glittered, but, you know...

The Labour Party on 20:52 - Jan 6 with 1414 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 20:50 - Jan 6 by Lohengrin

In theory Bowie’s Tin Machine ought to have glittered, but, you know...

I bought Tin Machine’s album. It was crap.

The Labour Party on 20:54 - Jan 6 with 1411 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 20:52 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

I bought Tin Machine’s album. It was crap.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

The Labour Party on 20:57 - Jan 6 with 1405 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 20:54 - Jan 6 by Lohengrin

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Non show offs would have just said QED.

The Labour Party on 20:59 - Jan 6 with 1403 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 20:57 - Jan 6 by exiledclaseboy

Non show offs would have just said QED.

*sniffs haughtily*

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024