Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Labour Party 15:16 - Jan 5 with 19573 viewsPegojack

I watched the Andrew Marr Show this morning from beginning to end and, as a lifelong Labour Party voter and supporter, I have to say I was moderately encouraged.
The election defeat was about as devastating a kicking as a political party can sustain but, and it's a big but, if the party has learned the lesson and has the good sense to choose Kier Starmer as leader, with maybe Jess Philips or Lisa Tandy as deputy, the next five years could be very interesting.
Dominic Raab did nothing to assuage my opinion that he's an incompetent idiot way out of his depth, and I think he's indicative of the general level of incompetence in Boris's cabinet. I think Starmer's clinical and incisive lawyer's mind will make mincemeat of the Eton windbag and his collection of disfunctional idiots. If they can clear out all vestiges of Corbynism and keep chipping away at Boris as the disaster of five years of unchecked extreme right wing Toryism unfolds, I see a promising future for Labour.
What do you think, chaps and chapesses? Always interested in particular in the balanced opinions of Kerouac, Jango and the Symonds Yat village idiot.
The Labour Party on 14:40 - Jan 10 with 1646 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 14:05 - Jan 10 by WarwickHunt

That would apply to pretty much all members of both cabinets.

Early days yet anyway. The fact that he doesn’t look like he spent the night in a skip probably marks him down as a class traitor to the loony left anyway.

You’re right. I posed the question to myself about all the headline names and couldn’t come up with a satisfactory answer.

I do feel a mild sort of empathy toward Starmer based solely on the fact that we share almost identical backgrounds: father worked craft in industry, mother was a nurse. He was named after an early Labour leader, a close relative of mine was named after Nye Bevan’s wife. Alright, it’s a connection at the shallowest of levels but because I instinctively identify him as someone not unlike myself the corrollary is I’m far more comfortable with the prospect of him as a future PM than with any of the others.

He has almost made, from what are relatively ‘ordinary’ beginnings, something of a spectacular success of his life. That’s something I believe ‘working folk’ who Labour have to try and reconnect with find wholly admirable and would want their children to aspire to.

The foregoing is something entirely distinct from the cesspit world of jealousy and spite the ‘lumpen’ and the ‘loony left inhabit.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Labour Party on 15:51 - Jan 10 with 1599 viewscockneyswan

The Labour Party on 14:59 - Jan 9 by Flashberryjack

Haven't got clue mate, the whole of the party is infected with lefty loonies.

Nye Bevan would be described a as a “loony lefty” in this day and age 😳
The Labour Party on 15:59 - Jan 10 with 1588 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 15:51 - Jan 10 by cockneyswan

Nye Bevan would be described a as a “loony lefty” in this day and age 😳

He was identified as a wildly inconsistent prima donna in his own time, albeit one blessed with a mercurial talent on a dais. Do you think if he was thirty today he would have been closely aligned with the far left? I wouldn’t be too sure about that, Bevin certainly wouldn’t have.

Good game this. A bit like pitting boxers today against those from decades past.

The Labour Party on 16:01 - Jan 10 with 1577 viewsHighjack

The Labour Party on 15:59 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

He was identified as a wildly inconsistent prima donna in his own time, albeit one blessed with a mercurial talent on a dais. Do you think if he was thirty today he would have been closely aligned with the far left? I wouldn’t be too sure about that, Bevin certainly wouldn’t have.

Good game this. A bit like pitting boxers today against those from decades past.

“My name is Nye, and my pronouns are them and they.”

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Labour Party on 16:03 - Jan 10 with 1574 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 16:01 - Jan 10 by Highjack

“My name is Nye, and my pronouns are them and they.”

He wouldn’t have understood any of that nonsense.

The Labour Party on 16:04 - Jan 10 with 1570 viewsHighjack

The Labour Party on 16:03 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

He wouldn’t have understood any of that nonsense.

Does anyone?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

The Labour Party on 16:10 - Jan 10 with 1568 viewsPegojack

The Labour Party on 13:10 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

Stafford Cripps, or rather, Sir Richard Stafford Cripps, CH, QC, FRS was, Peg.

I’ll say this about Starmer, he ‘looks’ the part. Aquascutum suit, Turnbull & Asser shirt and tie, decent haircut; but If you were to ask anybody what he stands for, something politically substantive, that sets him apart from the other candidates five will get you ten they just blow their cheeks out and shrug?

Try the question on your friends this evening.

I'm not sure I see your point, Loh. Why should he have ideas that make him stand out from the other candidates? They were all batting for the same side over the past few years and presumably all support the general thrust of the Labour prospectus at the last election.
I support Starmer more because of his personal qualities. He's made something of his life outside parliament, he's intelligent, he speaks well, he can handle complex ideas, and as you said, he looks the part (no small thing in this shallow, media driven political age). In short, I think he's leader material in a way Corbyn never was. Whether he can cut the mustard remains to be seen, but I'd have more confidence in him than Long Bailey.
The Labour Party on 16:35 - Jan 10 with 1551 viewsLohengrin

The Labour Party on 16:10 - Jan 10 by Pegojack

I'm not sure I see your point, Loh. Why should he have ideas that make him stand out from the other candidates? They were all batting for the same side over the past few years and presumably all support the general thrust of the Labour prospectus at the last election.
I support Starmer more because of his personal qualities. He's made something of his life outside parliament, he's intelligent, he speaks well, he can handle complex ideas, and as you said, he looks the part (no small thing in this shallow, media driven political age). In short, I think he's leader material in a way Corbyn never was. Whether he can cut the mustard remains to be seen, but I'd have more confidence in him than Long Bailey.

” Why should he have ideas that make him stand out from the other candidates?

Why? I suppose I posed the question because in my incurable, optimistic naivety I’ve always believed that politics was all about Ideas and their propagation. That political movements were more than just a gang of workmen inching forward filling in potholes, that there was some guiding plan to construct new pathways.

Login to get fewer ads

The Labour Party on 19:35 - Jan 10 with 1511 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 16:35 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

Why? I suppose I posed the question because in my incurable, optimistic naivety I’ve always believed that politics was all about Ideas and their propagation. That political movements were more than just a gang of workmen inching forward filling in potholes, that there was some guiding plan to construct new pathways.

Your answer is better than mine, I was just going to say because we want the 'stand out' candidate surely!
We don't want a recycled Corbynite or a perpetul failure foisted on us, we want someone who can inspire confidence.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Labour Party on 19:48 - Jan 10 with 1499 viewsLeonWasGod

The Labour Party on 16:35 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

Nice idea, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to be further from the reality as things stand.
The Labour Party on 19:51 - Jan 10 with 1498 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 19:48 - Jan 10 by LeonWasGod

Nice idea, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to be further from the reality as things stand.

Most of the people busily opining about who the new leader shouldn’t be wouldn’t vote Labour in a pink fit.

Poll: Tory leader

The Labour Party on 20:05 - Jan 10 with 1483 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour Party on 19:51 - Jan 10 by exiledclaseboy

Most of the people busily opining about who the new leader shouldn’t be wouldn’t vote Labour in a pink fit.

Didn't you vote Liberal hoping for a hung parliament ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Labour Party on 20:09 - Jan 10 with 1477 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 20:05 - Jan 10 by Flashberryjack

Didn't you vote Liberal hoping for a hung parliament ?

No. I voted Labour hoping for a hung parliament.

The Labour Party on 20:14 - Jan 10 with 1466 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour Party on 20:09 - Jan 10 by exiledclaseboy

No. I voted Labour hoping for a hung parliament.

My mistake, but I WAS sure you had posted that you would be voting Liberal, not that it matters really, and I can't be arsed to check.

Hello

The Labour Party on 20:18 - Jan 10 with 1464 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 20:14 - Jan 10 by Flashberryjack

My mistake, but I WAS sure you had posted that you would be voting Liberal, not that it matters really, and I can't be arsed to check.

I said I was voting Labour as the candidate with the best chance of beating the Conservatives in this constituency. If the candidate with the best chance of beating the Conservatives in this constituency had happened to be a LibDem I’d have happily voted for them instead. I’m not wedded to any party.

I did indeed say that the ideal result in my view would gave been a hung parliament though.

The Labour Party on 20:41 - Jan 10 with 1442 viewsGowerjack

The Labour Party on 21:49 - Jan 7 by waynekerr55

Is she really in with a chance? Jesus H Christ (other religions available)

Rebecca Wrong Daily..

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The Labour Party on 20:41 - Jan 10 with 1442 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour Party on 20:18 - Jan 10 by exiledclaseboy

I said I was voting Labour as the candidate with the best chance of beating the Conservatives in this constituency. If the candidate with the best chance of beating the Conservatives in this constituency had happened to be a LibDem I’d have happily voted for them instead. I’m not wedded to any party.

I did indeed say that the ideal result in my view would gave been a hung parliament though.

"I’m not wedded to any party."
Neither am I, I used to be, but not anymore.

Hello

The Labour Party on 20:53 - Jan 10 with 1428 viewsHighjack

The Labour Party on 19:51 - Jan 10 by exiledclaseboy

Probably why they keep losing.

The Labour Party on 20:55 - Jan 10 with 1427 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Labour Party on 20:53 - Jan 10 by Highjack

Probably why they keep losing.

A not unreasonable point to be fair.

The Labour Party on 21:20 - Jan 10 with 1409 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 20:41 - Jan 10 by Flashberryjack

"I’m not wedded to any party."
Neither am I, I used to be, but not anymore.

My father has always said, don't worry about the national result just vote for the person you think will be the best for your area. A reasonable idea I'd say. He's been Libdem the last few times, I don't know where he put his X this time.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Labour Party on 21:21 - Jan 10 with 1409 viewsmajorraglan

The Labour Party on 14:40 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

You’re right. I posed the question to myself about all the headline names and couldn’t come up with a satisfactory answer.

I do feel a mild sort of empathy toward Starmer based solely on the fact that we share almost identical backgrounds: father worked craft in industry, mother was a nurse. He was named after an early Labour leader, a close relative of mine was named after Nye Bevan’s wife. Alright, it’s a connection at the shallowest of levels but because I instinctively identify him as someone not unlike myself the corrollary is I’m far more comfortable with the prospect of him as a future PM than with any of the others.

He has almost made, from what are relatively ‘ordinary’ beginnings, something of a spectacular success of his life. That’s something I believe ‘working folk’ who Labour have to try and reconnect with find wholly admirable and would want their children to aspire to.

The foregoing is something entirely distinct from the cesspit world of jealousy and spite the ‘lumpen’ and the ‘loony left inhabit.

Have an up arrow.
The Labour Party on 21:45 - Jan 10 with 1386 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour Party on 21:20 - Jan 10 by Catullus

My father has always said, don't worry about the national result just vote for the person you think will be the best for your area. A reasonable idea I'd say. He's been Libdem the last few times, I don't know where he put his X this time.

In my humble opinion, if everyone did what your father advised, I don't think we'd have the shower of shyte politicians we have now.

Hello

The Labour Party on 21:51 - Jan 10 with 1375 viewsCatullus

The Labour Party on 21:45 - Jan 10 by Flashberryjack

In my humble opinion, if everyone did what your father advised, I don't think we'd have the shower of shyte politicians we have now.

Maybe so, we are where we are because people keep voting the same way regardless of the history. Some outstandingly rubbish MP's keep their seats purely because the people have always voted "whoever" and that was pretty true, until the last GE.

It takes a special kind of rubbish, shower of schite politicians to turn so many safe red seats into blue when Bojo is the resulting PM.

The Labour Party on 22:25 - Jan 10 with 1354 viewsHighjack

The Labour Party on 20:55 - Jan 10 by exiledclaseboy

A not unreasonable point to be fair.

It’s almost as if appealing to next to nobody is a badge of honour for a political party.

The Labour Party on 07:32 - Jan 16 with 1269 viewswaynekerr55

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024