Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437130 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 14:28 - May 14 with 1318 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 14:22 - May 14 by londonlisa2001

Actually the only bit of this I’m thankful for is that Dorries doesn’t appear to be busy on the health side of things. Keeping her far away from anything that affects us seems a sensible plan.

Yes. Putting Nadine Dorries in charge of mental health seems almost as stupid as putting Jeffrey Dahmer in charge of pouring the drinks at a chippendales after show party.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 14:38 - May 14 with 1292 viewswaynekerr55

Corona Virus on 13:13 - May 14 by chad

Excellent, good for you owning it

Although Isn’t Claire Ainsley from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation his director of policy?

She is very into the categorisations of the Great British Class Survey, In fact uses them in her work

Anyway from the definitions in that, Keir comes into the upper echelons of the top 6%, the Elite. He should own it, Daft to classify himself at 57? (ooh spooky - average age of the Elite) on the basis of his parents jobs.

His job, wealth, property, sphere of contacts... fit him in that category to a T.

–––––-
Elite

Percentage of population - 6%
Average age - 57
This is the wealthiest and most privileged group in the UK:

They are the UK's biggest earners
They score highest for social, cultural and economic factors
Many went to private school and elite universities - 24% of people in this group were privately educated, far more than in any other class group
This class is most likely to be found in London and the home counties
This group is exclusive and very hard to join, most come from very privileged backgrounds
97% of people in this group own their own home

Seriously? Really?

Come on you're better than that.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Corona Virus on 14:55 - May 14 with 1265 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 10:34 - May 14 by LeonWasGod

Fascinating to see the steps some countries are taking to reduce the spread of infections (thread)

Yes, some countries have been doing that from day one.
Hong Kong 1052 cases and 4 deaths with a population of 7.5 Million and a population density of 6,659 people per square kilometer, the 2nd or 3rd highest in the world.
Some countries have been here before and were prepared.
Corona Virus on 15:34 - May 14 with 1217 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 14:25 - May 14 by Pegojack

Could he get them into court? Serious question. I don't know what the law is in situations like this, but they shouldn't be allowed to lie with impunity, they need to be called out.

A lie posted on social media is considered libel
Corona Virus on 15:36 - May 14 with 1210 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 15:34 - May 14 by Professor

A lie posted on social media is considered libel

Just demanding a humiliating grovelling public apology would be more prudent.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Corona Virus on 15:40 - May 14 with 1206 viewsProfessor

Some promising news (as suggested by Lisa a couple of weeks ago), a preprint (a non peer-reviewed version of a scientific paper) of the efficacy of the Oxford vaccine in macaques has been posted. Whilst not giving complete or sterile immunity (which could be an issue longer-term) the vaccines reduced viral load in the lungs, prevented pneumonia which occurred in the non-vaccinates and gave rise to both antibody and a cell-based response (this is ideal for any intracellular pathogen).

No evidence of excessive response (cytokine storms). Very promising at least in the short term
Corona Virus on 15:41 - May 14 with 1204 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:36 - May 14 by Highjack

Just demanding a humiliating grovelling public apology would be more prudent.

Yes- and as suggested a substantial charitable donation?
Corona Virus on 15:52 - May 14 with 1189 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 15:40 - May 14 by Professor

Some promising news (as suggested by Lisa a couple of weeks ago), a preprint (a non peer-reviewed version of a scientific paper) of the efficacy of the Oxford vaccine in macaques has been posted. Whilst not giving complete or sterile immunity (which could be an issue longer-term) the vaccines reduced viral load in the lungs, prevented pneumonia which occurred in the non-vaccinates and gave rise to both antibody and a cell-based response (this is ideal for any intracellular pathogen).

No evidence of excessive response (cytokine storms). Very promising at least in the short term

That’s good news.

Btw - don’t know whether you’ve seen but two further positive pieces of news out of Oxford yesterday / today.

The vaccine trials are apparently showing well at present and are now being transferred into hospital setting to expose recipients to higher levels of infection.

And the plasma treatment of ill patients (using plasma of recovered patients) is going well. Which is, obviously, both good news for treatment and also for a vaccine and is also another indication that a person does develop immunity (of some level for some time - both of those to be determined).

My layman’s sense Prof, and I’d be interested in your views, is that we will end up with an ‘annual jab’ type situation for corona? Won’t be a one off, measles type thing, but will be sufficient to allow the world to return to almost normal, albeit there may be a small number of unfortunate deaths each year, but at flu type levels or actually possibly lower ?
[Post edited 14 May 2020 15:53]
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 15:53 - May 14 with 1188 viewschad

Corona Virus on 14:38 - May 14 by waynekerr55

Seriously? Really?

Come on you're better than that.

Manchester, York and LSE not me

And if those categories will underpin their policy (and they are pretty. clearly laid out) and align with her thinking, then it is not me you need to worry about. Unless you are saying I have something wrong, which I will be happy to hear about.
Corona Virus on 15:59 - May 14 with 1174 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 15:53 - May 14 by chad

Manchester, York and LSE not me

And if those categories will underpin their policy (and they are pretty. clearly laid out) and align with her thinking, then it is not me you need to worry about. Unless you are saying I have something wrong, which I will be happy to hear about.

I suspect Wayne was pointing out that the categorisation you posted was irrelevant rather than bollox...

Starmer didn’t have a privileged or ‘posh’ background. He has been successful and is now in a privileged position. The latter doesn’t change the former.
Corona Virus on 16:11 - May 14 with 1155 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:52 - May 14 by londonlisa2001

That’s good news.

Btw - don’t know whether you’ve seen but two further positive pieces of news out of Oxford yesterday / today.

The vaccine trials are apparently showing well at present and are now being transferred into hospital setting to expose recipients to higher levels of infection.

And the plasma treatment of ill patients (using plasma of recovered patients) is going well. Which is, obviously, both good news for treatment and also for a vaccine and is also another indication that a person does develop immunity (of some level for some time - both of those to be determined).

My layman’s sense Prof, and I’d be interested in your views, is that we will end up with an ‘annual jab’ type situation for corona? Won’t be a one off, measles type thing, but will be sufficient to allow the world to return to almost normal, albeit there may be a small number of unfortunate deaths each year, but at flu type levels or actually possibly lower ?
[Post edited 14 May 2020 15:53]

Passive transfer of immunity like the convalescent plasma
Is often effective but hard to work up as a mass treatment-you need the plasma of course.

Good question- I expect protection will be short lived and may need boosters and updates to the antigens included-
So much like annual flu- of course it may fade away over time if mutation is slow
Corona Virus on 16:17 - May 14 with 1147 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 15:40 - May 14 by Professor

So for the layman, this vaccine wouldn’t stop you getting ill but would prevent the nasty stuff that kills people from happening?

Corona Virus on 16:29 - May 14 with 1123 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:17 - May 14 by Highjack

So for the layman, this vaccine wouldn’t stop you getting ill but would prevent the nasty stuff that kills people from happening?

It looks like it stops illness but not infection-though challenge doses in experiments are
Usually very high
Corona Virus on 16:47 - May 14 with 1102 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 00:32 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

Give it a month and we’ll all be talking about something else.

I’m so sorry but I can’t resist bumping this post from March 8th.

Corona Virus on 16:48 - May 14 with 1098 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:29 - May 14 by Professor

It looks like it stops illness but not infection-though challenge doses in experiments are
Usually very high

That’s what they’d be aiming for with this type of vaccine isn’t it?
Corona Virus on 16:53 - May 14 with 1090 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 16:29 - May 14 by Professor

Usually very high

Obviously I hope this works for humans and is able to be mass produced.
If it does work I'd be expecting a Nobel prize for Prof Gilbert and the macques.
Corona Virus on 16:57 - May 14 with 1080 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:48 - May 14 by londonlisa2001

That’s what they’d be aiming for with this type of vaccine isn’t it?

It’s not ideal as if the virus is allowed to replicate-
It can better evolve to avoid immunity or worse become more virulent. There is an interesting
Story around a chicken disease called Marek’s
disease where this has happened. Arguably why we need multiple vaccines too
Corona Virus on 16:58 - May 14 with 1077 viewswaynekerr55

Corona Virus on 15:59 - May 14 by londonlisa2001

I suspect Wayne was pointing out that the categorisation you posted was irrelevant rather than bollox...

Starmer didn’t have a privileged or ‘posh’ background. He has been successful and is now in a privileged position. The latter doesn’t change the former.

And a point of order- people can (and should) vote for whoever. We need to be mindful of this and as a nation we need to all grow up a bit

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Corona Virus on 17:00 - May 14 with 1073 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:53 - May 14 by Scotia

If it does work I'd be expecting a Nobel prize for Prof Gilbert and the macques.

They will be dead and ineligible like Rosalind Franklin
Corona Virus on 17:15 - May 14 with 1046 viewsjack2jack

Ave ew all heard the sh!t, Shapps is on about in the briefing, today.FFS,sounds like a party political broadcast.
Corona Virus on 17:18 - May 14 with 1036 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:57 - May 14 by Professor

It can better evolve to avoid immunity or worse become more virulent. There is an interesting

I think their paper did say that the levels of virus that the monkeys were exposed to was massively higher than a human would encounter in real life exposure and humans may not have the same ‘infection’ as a result.

But all this needs to do in some ways is give protection from illness for long enough that there’s a window created where a more ‘perfect’ solution / treatment / vaccine can be found. This may end up being that, and it may not, but it buys time. It may be that’s never found, but an even partially effective vaccine will be a lot better than nothing.

Pfizer are also apparently having positive signs with theirs.

Edited - sorry, you’d already mentioned the challenge doses, I hadn’t registered that you had.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 17:19]
Corona Virus on 17:22 - May 14 with 1025 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 16:53 - May 14 by Scotia

Sarah Gilbert will certainly never have to buy another drink again...

Even before her guaranteed trip to Stockholm.
Corona Virus on 17:23 - May 14 with 1023 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 17:15 - May 14 by jack2jack

Ave ew all heard the sh!t, Shapps is on about in the briefing, today.FFS,sounds like a party political broadcast.

I’ve stopped watching them.
Corona Virus on 17:25 - May 14 with 1020 viewsDr_Winston

Corona Virus on 17:18 - May 14 by londonlisa2001

I think their paper did say that the levels of virus that the monkeys were exposed to was massively higher than a human would encounter in real life exposure and humans may not have the same ‘infection’ as a result.

But all this needs to do in some ways is give protection from illness for long enough that there’s a window created where a more ‘perfect’ solution / treatment / vaccine can be found. This may end up being that, and it may not, but it buys time. It may be that’s never found, but an even partially effective vaccine will be a lot better than nothing.

Pfizer are also apparently having positive signs with theirs.

Edited - sorry, you’d already mentioned the challenge doses, I hadn’t registered that you had.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 17:19]

Even if they can treat it so it becomes non-lethal. That'd be almost as good as a vaccine.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 17:25 - May 14 with 1020 viewsjack2jack

Corona Virus on 16:57 - May 14 by Professor

Prof, what's your view on Dr Judy Mikovits.
Just curious?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024