Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 432939 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 31 with 2056 viewslifelong

Corona Virus on 21:53 - May 30 by bennytheblue

So, are people who live in Swansea able to get to the Gower beaches? Or are there police stopping people on the rds from the city? Or Langland? Can you get there from parts of swansea?

Most of the Gower beaches like Oxwich, Port Eynon, Rhossili etc are more than 5 miles away for most of the residents of Swansea. Langland and Caswell are closer but I should imagine the car parks are closed.
Corona Virus on 12:49 - May 31 with 2020 viewschad

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 31 by lifelong

Most of the Gower beaches like Oxwich, Port Eynon, Rhossili etc are more than 5 miles away for most of the residents of Swansea. Langland and Caswell are closer but I should imagine the car parks are closed.

Considering the 2 main nearest routes, Caswell is over 5 miles away, both from the university and from Fairwood training ground.

I thought he suggested the 5 miles was a bit of a movable feast, common sense?

Is it only for people meeting up or a general part of just getting out?
Corona Virus on 13:01 - May 31 with 2003 viewsgrabsplatter

Police were stopping a lot of cars on Mumbles Road travelling towards Mumbles on Friday afternoon
Corona Virus on 13:08 - May 31 with 1997 viewslifelong

Corona Virus on 12:49 - May 31 by chad

Considering the 2 main nearest routes, Caswell is over 5 miles away, both from the university and from Fairwood training ground.

I thought he suggested the 5 miles was a bit of a movable feast, common sense?

Is it only for people meeting up or a general part of just getting out?

I take it to mean that it enables you to meet up with a relative or friend and their family within the 5 mile distance.
Corona Virus on 15:25 - May 31 with 1919 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 12:00 - May 31 by lifelong

Yeah, all car parks closed off. Whether they'll stay that way from monday I'm not sure.
Corona Virus on 17:04 - May 31 with 1887 viewsDJack

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine/

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Corona Virus on 17:16 - May 31 with 1875 viewsJack_Kass

I think its fair to say we are pound for pound, the worst performing nation, globally.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Corona Virus on 18:05 - May 31 with 1842 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 17:16 - May 31 by Jack_Kass

I think its fair to say we are pound for pound, the worst performing nation, globally.

Well we waited too long to go into lockdown and we're watering the rules down which looks like it's against scientific advice. Decisions look like they're being taken more with the economy in mind than the nations health. So if we are the worst performing I'll have to lay the blame firmly at the feet of the politicians responsible.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 18:08 - May 31 with 1838 viewschad

Corona Virus on 15:25 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

Yeah, all car parks closed off. Whether they'll stay that way from monday I'm not sure.

Presume that includes the National Trust ones?
Corona Virus on 18:10 - May 31 with 1835 viewsJackinexile1

Corona Virus on 15:25 - May 31 by LeonWasGod

All the city car parks are open and free!
Corona Virus on 18:13 - May 31 with 1833 viewsperplex

Corona Virus on 17:16 - May 31 by Jack_Kass

Forget the UK it`s confirmed now England have the worse in the death rate in the world per mill, even the USA put them to shame, just need to inform the rest of the world that Wales and Scotland have fcuk all to do with them, even if its just to avoid the ridicule that the tw-ts that govern them are going to receive.
Corona Virus on 18:16 - May 31 with 1822 viewsmonmouth

Jenny Harries has had a pop at Cumpants now I’m told, by my wife who still listens to the daily party political. I wonder if after Johnson’s f*ckwittery on Friday the scientists have all decided enough is enough.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 18:23 - May 31 with 1806 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 18:13 - May 31 by perplex

Forget the UK it`s confirmed now England have the worse in the death rate in the world per mill, even the USA put them to shame, just need to inform the rest of the world that Wales and Scotland have fcuk all to do with them, even if its just to avoid the ridicule that the tw-ts that govern them are going to receive.

Somebody had to have the dubious honour of being the worst. Be grateful it's not Wales. Though seeing as we are under the UK it's not exactly fantastic.

Too slow into lockdown and probably too quick out of it, there's more to come.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 20:27 - May 31 with 1755 viewslonglostjack

There a bit of a cultural angle on this. I’ve got the fun gene in my jeans. Newcastle and Wind Street are nuts on a Saturday night and I was also wild when I was young. I’ve lived in Germany for years. Not as wild. St Pauli excepted. Germans and Scandinavians basically law abiding boring old farts. It’s stood them well in this crisis though. Swedes excepted. They’ve tried to do a Cummings and unfortunately have paid the price.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Corona Virus on 20:32 - May 31 with 1751 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 18:10 - May 31 by Jackinexile1

All the city car parks are open and free!

People tend not to pile into the city on a sunny weekend when the shops are shut. I bet they’re empty.

A lot busier down Caswell this afternoon. Car park shut, but the idiots were all parking along the double yellows on the road. Parking tickets everywhere! I’m surprised the police weren’t down there to move people on, but maybe the dam’s burst now.
Corona Virus on 20:44 - May 31 with 1738 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 18:08 - May 31 by chad

Presume that includes the National Trust ones?

The NT one at Southgate was shut last time I had a cycle ride over there - that was over a week ago though.
Corona Virus on 16:04 - Jun 1 with 1626 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 23:40 - May 29 by DJack

And this one puts a nail in your HCQ and Erythromycin ( a macrolide apparently) coffin...

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6.pdf

Djack, this is for you.

It is to a .pdf of a letter by Dr.Harvey A. Risch, Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Yale School of Public Health.

The summary is here
https://academic.oup.com/aje/advance-article/doi/10.1093/aje/kwaa093/5847586
Where you can also go to the pdf of the actual document.

India likes HCQ.

https://theprint.in/health/hcq-breakthrough-icmr-finds-its-effective-in-preventi
Corona Virus on 17:51 - Jun 1 with 1568 viewsHighjack

Morriston A+E is bouncing today. They had 300 people waiting earlier, most with alcohol related injuries. Waiting time is down to 3 hours now.

http://www.choosewellwales.org.uk/aewaits
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 17:52]

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 19:07 - Jun 1 with 1511 viewsperplex

Corona Virus on 20:27 - May 31 by longlostjack

There a bit of a cultural angle on this. I’ve got the fun gene in my jeans. Newcastle and Wind Street are nuts on a Saturday night and I was also wild when I was young. I’ve lived in Germany for years. Not as wild. St Pauli excepted. Germans and Scandinavians basically law abiding boring old farts. It’s stood them well in this crisis though. Swedes excepted. They’ve tried to do a Cummings and unfortunately have paid the price.

Have as you say Sweden actually done that bad, ok they have more deaths than there neighbours 4000 out of a population of 12mill or so, but then they never locked down, they have pretty much kept there economy intact and have not sacrificed the people with other serious illnesses because they continued to provide routine treatment and provided early diagnoses and normal medical care thus probably saving many thousands of deaths in the long run.
Corona Virus on 20:32 - Jun 1 with 1486 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 19:07 - Jun 1 by perplex

Have as you say Sweden actually done that bad, ok they have more deaths than there neighbours 4000 out of a population of 12mill or so, but then they never locked down, they have pretty much kept there economy intact and have not sacrificed the people with other serious illnesses because they continued to provide routine treatment and provided early diagnoses and normal medical care thus probably saving many thousands of deaths in the long run.

But they could have done much better, they have a lot of single people living separately anyway, so social distancing comes quite naturally to them.
Their own people say that their GDP is still going to take a fair sized hit.
Compared to the best they have performed very badly, 8th in the world for deaths/million with the population & population density they have is not good.
Czechia who also have a population of around 10 million used home made face masks with social distancing and are 54th in the world, they were side by side on the 28th of March.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 21:23]
Corona Virus on 20:57 - Jun 1 with 1461 viewsDr_Winston

They screwed up over the care homes and have admitted as much. Had they done better there then they probably could have prevented a lot of losses and their figures would look considerably better. Much like us I suspect once all is said and done.

Within the non-vulnerable population they seem to have done reasonably well considering they've taken nothing like the drastic measures other nations have.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 21:19 - Jun 1 with 1450 viewsBytholWyn

Sweden, population 10 million, 4403 Covid deaths.

Denmark, Norway and Finland aggregate 16.7 million, combined 1130 Covid deaths. On a per capita basis Sweden has 6.5 times the Covid deaths of its neighbours - or around 3500 extra deaths. Hardly the poster boy for herd immunity - especially when you consider that only 7.3% of people in Stockholm (the worst affected area) had developed the antibodies needed to fight the disease by late April: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/sweden-herd-immunity-coronavirus-intl/

Attaining herd immunity via infection spread (as opposed to vaccination) is looking increasingly looking like a reckless gamble, which has needlessly cost thousands of lives in Sweden, and quite possibly tens of thousands of lives in the UK.

When it comes to the economic side of things I'd much rather be in the shoes of those countries that locked down early (New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Denmark et al) - and now have a good chance of opening up their economies (and forming bubbles with other "clean" countries) whilst controlling likely localised spikes in infection. The UK and the USA in contrast are going to find emerging from lockdown far more challenging and may well find themselves in the ignominious position of being treated as international lepers.
Corona Virus on 10:35 - Jun 2 with 1327 viewsA_Fans_Dad

More good news on the treatment front for the virus.
We now have 1 study and 2 separate multi-trial studies on Ivermectin all showing great results, even improving and saving the majority of those already on mechanical ventilation.
Corona Virus on 11:35 - Jun 2 with 1296 viewscontroversial_jack

Italian doctors also think it's losing it's potency.If so more good news, but let's not get complacent
Corona Virus on 11:38 - Jun 2 with 1291 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 21:19 - Jun 1 by BytholWyn

Sweden, population 10 million, 4403 Covid deaths.

Denmark, Norway and Finland aggregate 16.7 million, combined 1130 Covid deaths. On a per capita basis Sweden has 6.5 times the Covid deaths of its neighbours - or around 3500 extra deaths. Hardly the poster boy for herd immunity - especially when you consider that only 7.3% of people in Stockholm (the worst affected area) had developed the antibodies needed to fight the disease by late April: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/sweden-herd-immunity-coronavirus-intl/

Attaining herd immunity via infection spread (as opposed to vaccination) is looking increasingly looking like a reckless gamble, which has needlessly cost thousands of lives in Sweden, and quite possibly tens of thousands of lives in the UK.

When it comes to the economic side of things I'd much rather be in the shoes of those countries that locked down early (New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Denmark et al) - and now have a good chance of opening up their economies (and forming bubbles with other "clean" countries) whilst controlling likely localised spikes in infection. The UK and the USA in contrast are going to find emerging from lockdown far more challenging and may well find themselves in the ignominious position of being treated as international lepers.

Sweden still has a high infection rate, so may look even more bleak in time. We were so slow to react. We could see it coming. Lockdown about 10 -14
Days too late. Would have been in a better position now if we had gone earlier with far fewer deaths
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024