Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437802 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 14:40 - Jun 7 with 2406 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 08:55 - Jun 7 by Professor

So that’s quite different- it’s showing a pretty classical Th1 or cellular response which is pretty much what you would expect/hope to happen. It is a nice descriptive paper 👍

What they do have is a cross reactive response on some patients
Which they consider may be related to other common coronaviruses . This again is not unexpected, but any indication of protection afforded by this is speculative. Functional assays of T cell activity are hard to do from the small samples here, but the responses are not huge, so it looks like a cross reaction rather than cross protection. If it were then we have a vaccine already- a cold

‘If it were then we have a vaccine already- a cold’

I think that’s what they’re trying to establish.

The ‘ closed community’ situations, notably the Diamond Princess cruise ship and even more so the case of the French Aircraft Carrier (2000 people, 600 symptoms, 700 positive but no symptoms, 700 negative despite constant exposure) are showing that a really significant number of people are being exposed and are just not catching it, and they’re trying to work out why.

At least that’s what the virologists etc looking in to it seem to be saying.
Corona Virus on 14:51 - Jun 7 with 2392 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 14:40 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

The ‘ closed community’ situations, notably the Diamond Princess cruise ship and even more so the case of the French Aircraft Carrier (2000 people, 600 symptoms, 700 positive but no symptoms, 700 negative despite constant exposure) are showing that a really significant number of people are being exposed and are just not catching it, and they’re trying to work out why.

I could be wrong but hasn't that been part of the problem, there are things about this virus that are hard to explain? It's caught experts off guard, it doesn't fit the rules?

In laymans terms please Prof! I can't pretend to be anywhere near understanding some of your technical input on here.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 14:55 - Jun 7 with 2388 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 14:40 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

Yes, though resistance to infection is a complex beast based on immune responses, the genetics of the host and epigenetic factors. Have done a lot of work on this in chickens-both finding traits relating to genes or multiple genes in inbred lines and looking at populations in Africa. Almost always a proportion of a population resistant-it's why we have such variation in major immune receptors across a population to stop any single pathogen causing a wipeout. The receptors tend to be polymorphic in an individual so we can respond to multiple threats. The chicken is a good model as has fewer receptor variants and fewer major receptors (e.g. MHC) than mammals.

Still, its potentially a good thing to find these responses-also suggest to me that a live attenuated vaccine will be best long term-this will produce this type of response
Corona Virus on 15:15 - Jun 7 with 2366 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 14:51 - Jun 7 by Catullus

I could be wrong but hasn't that been part of the problem, there are things about this virus that are hard to explain? It's caught experts off guard, it doesn't fit the rules?

In laymans terms please Prof! I can't pretend to be anywhere near understanding some of your technical input on here.

My cousin works for on behalf of the Brazilian govt, and he gave me an example of how weird this virus is. There are 2 cities in Brazil - i forgot the names, but are both almost identical in demographics, income etc, yet one city has been ravaged and the other not.They do not know why.
Corona Virus on 15:25 - Jun 7 with 2347 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:15 - Jun 7 by controversial_jack

My cousin works for on behalf of the Brazilian govt, and he gave me an example of how weird this virus is. There are 2 cities in Brazil - i forgot the names, but are both almost identical in demographics, income etc, yet one city has been ravaged and the other not.They do not know why.

So many things can have an effect -field data is very rarely 'clean' and is full of factors or confounders which are sometimes not obvious. We have seen this-what material a chicken I raised on straw or shavings impact on Campylobacter prevalence. I suspect retrospective studies may pull out some of these influences, but certainly hard to understand in real time
Corona Virus on 15:46 - Jun 7 with 2325 viewscontroversial_jack

Corona Virus on 15:25 - Jun 7 by Professor

So many things can have an effect -field data is very rarely 'clean' and is full of factors or confounders which are sometimes not obvious. We have seen this-what material a chicken I raised on straw or shavings impact on Campylobacter prevalence. I suspect retrospective studies may pull out some of these influences, but certainly hard to understand in real time

I agree! Certain anomalies can of course exist, but the huge differences in rates, will certainly take some understanding
Corona Virus on 18:57 - Jun 7 with 2257 viewsSwanjaxs

With these demonetisation's going on at the moment, especially in London, it will be interesting if there isn't a major spike in cases in the capital of England.

If not (and its a big if) we really will be looking good.

We will know in a fortnight time i suppose.

Shit or bust 👍🏻
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 19:55]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Corona Virus on 00:38 - Jun 8 with 2171 viewsDippy

According to the experts, finding a cure might be impossible

Poll: Cooper Out

Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 00:53 - Jun 8 with 2159 viewsairedale

Corona Virus on 00:38 - Jun 8 by Dippy

According to the experts, finding a cure might be impossible

Just like teaching people to spell.

Kin ell.
Corona Virus on 01:20 - Jun 9 with 2037 viewsDJack

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-05-no-clinical-benefit-use-hydroxychloroquine-h

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Corona Virus on 02:12 - Jun 9 with 2016 viewsJack123

I found this interesting

libera nos a malo

Corona Virus on 09:23 - Jun 9 with 1916 viewsJoe_bradshaw

It is.

Of course, nobody knows whether they have an undetected underlying health condition by definition.

It would be interesting to know what qualifies as an underlying health condition. Does it have to be a major one or something generally considered quite minor? Is being overweight one?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 09:54 - Jun 9 with 1898 viewsDr_Winston

Being over 80 could probably be considered a pre-existing condition in itself.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Corona Virus on 10:06 - Jun 9 with 1885 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 09:23 - Jun 9 by Joe_bradshaw

It is.

Of course, nobody knows whether they have an undetected underlying health condition by definition.

It would be interesting to know what qualifies as an underlying health condition. Does it have to be a major one or something generally considered quite minor? Is being overweight one?

A lot will be minor-high blood pressure, asthma, minor cardiac issues. That's the same for any infection though-the old and infirm and usually the very young are most susceptible. With a few exceptions. The lack of susceptibility in pre-school kids is not to infection of course, but to disease. Immune system not developed enough to cause the immunopathology which is what is killing most people
Corona Virus on 10:19 - Jun 9 with 1869 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Corona Virus on 10:06 - Jun 9 by Professor

A lot will be minor-high blood pressure, asthma, minor cardiac issues. That's the same for any infection though-the old and infirm and usually the very young are most susceptible. With a few exceptions. The lack of susceptibility in pre-school kids is not to infection of course, but to disease. Immune system not developed enough to cause the immunopathology which is what is killing most people

Interesting. I suspect many people who have mild high blood pressure do not think of themselves as having an underlying health condition in that way. The immunopathology is particularly interesting to me as I have been on immunosuppressive medication since 1994. I don’t consider myself Ill at all but that’s because I take the medication.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Corona Virus on 10:59 - Jun 9 with 1844 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 10:19 - Jun 9 by Joe_bradshaw

Interesting. I suspect many people who have mild high blood pressure do not think of themselves as having an underlying health condition in that way. The immunopathology is particularly interesting to me as I have been on immunosuppressive medication since 1994. I don’t consider myself Ill at all but that’s because I take the medication.

I have well-controlled asthma, but obviously any respiratory disease will hit me. Many people over 50 are on medication like statins etc., which they just don't consider really. It annoys me when you get 'it only kills those who are ill' as this is a significant proportion of us. It's not Lord of the Files, we are supposed to be civil, have society.
Corona Virus on 12:29 - Jun 9 with 1807 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 01:20 - Jun 9 by DJack

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-05-no-clinical-benefit-use-hydroxychloroquine-h

Only 4 days and 4 pages behind the curve.
As I stated in that post 4 days ago this is a study designed to fail.
It was conducted by Oxford University, would that be the same Ofxord University group that is developing the COVID-19 vaccine by any chance?
So no possibility of a conflict of interest there then.
In the original press release here
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8392293/Hydroxychloroquine-does-NOT-tre
Professor Landray " called for doctors around the world to stop using the drug".
Professor Peter Horby, who is also heading the trial, said he phoned the World Health Organization (WHO) this morning to share the findings.
He has advised the global health body to drop the drug from its SOLIDARITY trial and focus efforts on other promising medicines.
Of course every study leader stops the trial early and phones the WHO to say it doesn't work and suggests it is stopped as a treatment worldwide.
No mention of any side affects or anything else.
Let's review what the frontline doctors have actually recommended on how to use the drug.
1. for prophylactic use administer with Zinc
2. For treatment, start as early as possible with Azithromycin and Zinc
How was the study designed, was it designed to test as recommended.
No of course not each of the drugs/treatments on trial
Lopinavir-Ritonavir, Corticosteroid, Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, Convalescent plasma, Tocilizumab
Are given separately, no combinations at all.
Most of drugs are given in various combinations in their original trials, so why would you not conduct the trial to test what other doctors say works?
Corona Virus on 14:26 - Jun 9 with 1773 viewsScotia

Corona Virus on 02:12 - Jun 9 by Jack123

I found this interesting

Luckily I haven't seen too many death certificates - but I've never seen one with only one of the casue of death boxes completed.
Corona Virus on 18:00 - Jun 9 with 1706 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 14:26 - Jun 9 by Scotia

Luckily I haven't seen too many death certificates - but I've never seen one with only one of the casue of death boxes completed.

Valuable point. I can't say I am a fan of having to have lock down or indeed WFH for the foreseeable future. Or working in our labs at half capacity. But it has made a difference and saved lives. This constant sniping from people who three months ago did not know what epidemiology was really winds me up.
Corona Virus on 19:59 - Jun 9 with 1675 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 18:00 - Jun 9 by Professor

Valuable point. I can't say I am a fan of having to have lock down or indeed WFH for the foreseeable future. Or working in our labs at half capacity. But it has made a difference and saved lives. This constant sniping from people who three months ago did not know what epidemiology was really winds me up.

I hope I haven't sniped Prof? There's a lot of us who are very much more aware of epidemiology now!

Thing is Prof, some people have developed a distrust of experts because of some science/scientists/experts being outed/labelled as agenda driven. Because we have such an agenda driven media the truth has been the biggest victim. Take the same story from the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the truth will be somewhere in the middle but finding it is still hard.
And of course experts disagree too which makes it difficult for the rest of us ignorant plebs!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 21:22 - Jun 9 with 1636 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 19:59 - Jun 9 by Catullus

I hope I haven't sniped Prof? There's a lot of us who are very much more aware of epidemiology now!

Thing is Prof, some people have developed a distrust of experts because of some science/scientists/experts being outed/labelled as agenda driven. Because we have such an agenda driven media the truth has been the biggest victim. Take the same story from the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the truth will be somewhere in the middle but finding it is still hard.
And of course experts disagree too which makes it difficult for the rest of us ignorant plebs!

Not at all. I was thinking of some of the more vicious right wing commentators. I would disagree, the divisions in science are much smaller and the media presents conflict-
Notably the Andrew Wakefield MMR story which
Presented as the media as splitting opinion. It did not. 98% of scientists disagreed. Same with lockdown- not one epidemiologist, virologist or infectious disease medic I personally know thought we should not have gone a week earlier. Most think we are being a little hasty now. It does not help when you have egotistical non-experts like Karol Sikora pontificating. He is an oncologist and advocate of private health. Should not be given airtime
Corona Virus on 21:28 - Jun 9 with 1631 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 21:22 - Jun 9 by Professor

Not at all. I was thinking of some of the more vicious right wing commentators. I would disagree, the divisions in science are much smaller and the media presents conflict-
Notably the Andrew Wakefield MMR story which
Presented as the media as splitting opinion. It did not. 98% of scientists disagreed. Same with lockdown- not one epidemiologist, virologist or infectious disease medic I personally know thought we should not have gone a week earlier. Most think we are being a little hasty now. It does not help when you have egotistical non-experts like Karol Sikora pontificating. He is an oncologist and advocate of private health. Should not be given airtime

He’s become quite the celebrity on Twitter.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 21:43 - Jun 9 with 1620 viewsmonmouth

I see the daily party political comical Ali show has now done away with scientists altogether,. Presumably as they were starting to actually voice their opinions. So now it’s just second rate dickhead repeating shit.

Shameless bunch of bastards.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 21:56 - Jun 9 with 1608 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 21:28 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

He’s become quite the celebrity on Twitter.

Yes. And people listen to him. I would listen to AFD before him. He at least does some research
Corona Virus on 07:42 - Jun 10 with 1527 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 21:43 - Jun 9 by monmouth

I see the daily party political comical Ali show has now done away with scientists altogether,. Presumably as they were starting to actually voice their opinions. So now it’s just second rate dickhead repeating shit.

Shameless bunch of bastards.

Yes they have now gone from ‘follow the science’ to ‘Feck the science’. Ain’t that the truth ?

Plus that idiot woman has gone.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024