Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 126831 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:48 - Jul 3 with 1435 viewsFlashberryjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:12 - Jul 3 by Scotia

That isn't the case.

The lock down was in place to reduce virus levels in the community to a manageable level and subsequent pressure on the NHS. We've got to that point and now need a gradual and safe return to normality. Somewhere between Drakeford's plan and Boris's IMHO.

Capacity wasn't an issue because the lock down was complied with far more than expected. It still could be an issue over the coming weeks.

If the virus is in wide spread circulation and increasing there are two options, the NHS functions as usual and treats a handful of covid patients and let the rest die or it treats covid patients at the expense of everything else it can't do both, even with the nightingale hospitals.

There are only a couple of ways out of this one is a vaccine the other is local lock downs like Leicester.

I'll be honest I'm worried about England this weekend but see no reason why Wales couldn't relax a bit further.

To be fair, unless a vaccine is discovered (and that looks unlikely this year, if ever).
Relaxing the lockdown is a calculated risk between having another corvid peak, or keep the lockdown, and then sit back and watch many businesses go bust, and the economy absolutely devastated even worse than is being already predicted, damned if you do damned if you don't.

This is a new disease and things change almost on a daily basis with further information coming from the scientists and virologists working in the labs, therefore the government must change accordingly, there is absolutely no doubt that the government have made many mistakes, but I fear there would have been even bigger mistakes had another party been in charge of things (we'll never know for sure), but hey! the politically minded would use the virus as a stick to beat the government no matter which majority party was in westminster, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:53 - Jul 3 with 1429 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:21 - Jul 3 by Scotia

The figures don't lie. UK figures of new infections were at the lowest level since March, despite outside spaces in England being open and utilised for weeks. Wales had around 10% of new UK cases despite having 5% of the population. Well done Drakeford!

This weekend could be a catastrophe in England but so could Wales economy if Drakeford dithers for much longer.

What more do you actually want him to do. Shops can now open and most have.
Schools are open to all pupils unlike the rest of the UK.
You can travel anywhere from Monday.
People can form bubbles with other family members.
Caravans, cottages etc are open from next saturday.
Tourist attractions outdoor are being opened.
Hairdressers are opening week Monday.
Pubs, Restaurants and cafes can open outdoors from Weekend Monday.
There are currently ongoing discussions about opening outdoor gyms and playgrounds.
There are discussions ongoing about restarting football and cricket but not rugby.
They are also looking into how the virus spreads in water to see if swimming pools can be reopened.
Further announcements will be made a week today and will be dependant on the virus rates remaining low which is almost certain.

The only things that arent planned are indoor gyms which are considered unsafe as apparently there is evidence elsewhere that it is an area that the virus spreads.
Indoor pubs and restaurants where there is a fear that the virus spreads more indoors than out.
Rugby because of the contact element and they are looking at 7 a side instead.
Theatres and cinemas.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:53 - Jul 3 with 1395 viewslonglostjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:48 - Jul 3 by exhmrc1

The figures dont lie and Dakeford and Co are doing an excellent job. At the peak of the epidemic there was 391 cases in Wales in a day. Last Friday there was 46 new cases and today 26. In terms of deaths at the peak there was 43 deaths in a day. Today there was 2.
Last week there was 761 covid related patients in Welsh hospitals. Today there were 561 and over the last few weeks the patients in critical care has dropped from 33 to 27 and today it was 19.

Those are the facts and go to show that the lockdown has been working. A couple of weeks longer and it is likely the figures will be in single figures as todays cases include 7 from Wrexham and 5 unknown addresses which also probably relate to there. Without those cases we are talking 14 cases throughout Wales plus possibly a few more Pillar 2 cases.

It wont take a massive drop for that to be the case. The Wrexham cases will dry up once all the employees in Rowan have been tested and the results provided.

When the figures drop to that level it will make it far safer to open things up. So far schools have been opened up to every pupil which is something hasnt happened elsewhere in the uk. Shops have reopened and the stay local rule is being removed.

I had a letter earlier this week for a CT scan showing that hospitals are coming back to normal. The Royal Gwent Hospital has announced yesterday that it didnt have any patient covid patients for the first time. I have been told Morriston Hospital doesnt have any either. The second and third largest hospitals in Wales dont have any covid patients. Dental and Opthalmology has opened up.

We have gained this and yet some like you want to risk going backwards. In England they have reopened things only to find they have had to lockdown a city the size of Cardiff. There have been reports there might be another 35 local lockdowns. Do you want to go back to that or carry on with our present regime.

There are plans afoot to open up holiday accommodation, hairdressers and hospitality out doors in 10 days time with further changes probably 2 weeks later. In the near future outdoor gyms and playgrounds and football and cricket will be given the green light. If things remain low after opening pubs, cafe and restaurants outdoors they will open indoors in a couple of weeks. Similarly nail bars and beauty salons will open.

We have seen elsewhere what happens if you open too quickly and going down that route is inadviseable. Most things will be open by the beginning of August if the coronavirus rate continues to fall in the way it has recently.

Being impatient and putting at risk the progress we have made is madness. We have nearly defeated covid's first wave as the figures shown and need to learn from others the error of opening up too soon.

Exactly- and get a functioning track and trace system in place to control sporadic outbreaks.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:53 - Jul 3 with 1395 viewsEbo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:53 - Jul 3 by exhmrc1

There are currently ongoing discussions about opening outdoor gyms and playgrounds.
There are discussions ongoing about restarting football and cricket but not rugby.
They are also looking into how the virus spreads in water to see if swimming pools can be reopened.
Further announcements will be made a week today and will be dependant on the virus rates remaining low which is almost certain.

The only things that arent planned are indoor gyms which are considered unsafe as apparently there is evidence elsewhere that it is an area that the virus spreads.
Indoor pubs and restaurants where there is a fear that the virus spreads more indoors than out.
Theatres and cinemas.

Don’t forget the music sector, very overlooked yet brings in billions to the economy. Probably more than football.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:02 - Jul 3 with 1390 viewslonglostjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:48 - Jul 3 by Flashberryjack

To be fair, unless a vaccine is discovered (and that looks unlikely this year, if ever).
Relaxing the lockdown is a calculated risk between having another corvid peak, or keep the lockdown, and then sit back and watch many businesses go bust, and the economy absolutely devastated even worse than is being already predicted, damned if you do damned if you don't.

This is a new disease and things change almost on a daily basis with further information coming from the scientists and virologists working in the labs, therefore the government must change accordingly, there is absolutely no doubt that the government have made many mistakes, but I fear there would have been even bigger mistakes had another party been in charge of things (we'll never know for sure), but hey! the politically minded would use the virus as a stick to beat the government no matter which majority party was in westminster, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Criticism of the UK’s shambolic strategy is absolutely bloody vital if lessons are to be learned for the future. Nothing to do with Right v Left politics Flash.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:13 - Jul 3 with 1379 viewsFlashberryjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:02 - Jul 3 by longlostjack

Criticism of the UK’s shambolic strategy is absolutely bloody vital if lessons are to be learned for the future. Nothing to do with Right v Left politics Flash.

I disagree there are quite a few making political points, although I can't disagree with your other observations, I wonder how things would have panned out if another party were in power, I fear just as bad or even far worse (but we'll never know)

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:21 - Jul 3 with 1367 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:53 - Jul 3 by exhmrc1

Theatres and cinemas.

I genuinely don't think it is rocket science.

There was no point in opening schools once welsh governments original plan was understood to be idiotic. They're open to all pupils and those I know will spend a total of 10 hours there between now and September. How about not opening them at all? What is the point?

Travel anywhere from Monday? Wonderful, there's barely been a case in Swansea since May. The English have been able to travel for weeks and cases have continued to fall. Cheers Mark.

Form bubbles - again hardly any cases since May but we are last out of the blocks on this. Absolutely no need to wait this long unless you were in an are of high infection.

Self catering - wonderful, come to Wales but you can't do anything when you get here!

Tourist attractions - again a few weeks behind the rest of the uk for no apparent reason apart from the fact we weren't allowed to travel. Remember Ken skates statement, that WG never legislated to close them apparently?

Hairdressers - excellent, my appointment is booked for 16:15 on The 13th. The Mrs is gutted but I'm going through loads of shampoo so I need a trim. No argument about timing here.

Pubs etc - too little too late. There are heavy restrictions on the areas that can be used and Drakeford had the power to wave these. Outdoor areas should have been open for at least a week already and businesses allowed to use car parks and the pavement, but they aren't in Wales. I know people working in four pubs and none are bothering to open on the 13th. Neither are wetherspoons.

Swimming pools - chlorine kills the virus with good planning I reckon they could be safe.

Playgrounds - open in England, and children seem to be largely unaffected. So could probably have opened weeks ago.

Gyms - my gym only runs on a class basis with a max of 12 people, a lot of our exercise is outdoor but the indoor is probably 150m3. I don't think there needs to be a blanket ban on them being open . Plus of course there are huge health benefits to being physically fit. They aren't all the same and the level of infection isn't the same in all areas. Obviously massive gyms with hundreds of members are a problem but they aren't all like that.

Anyway the virus hasn't gone away as I've said a number of times. I think England are going too far this weekend but we need to be far further along the line than we are.

The other thing I actually want him to do is provide some form of time line as to what may happen when.

None of this is hard. I genuinely think Drakeford is doing it for political gain.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:34 - Jul 3 with 1352 viewspencoedjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:21 - Jul 3 by Scotia

There was no point in opening schools once welsh governments original plan was understood to be idiotic. They're open to all pupils and those I know will spend a total of 10 hours there between now and September. How about not opening them at all? What is the point?

Travel anywhere from Monday? Wonderful, there's barely been a case in Swansea since May. The English have been able to travel for weeks and cases have continued to fall. Cheers Mark.

Form bubbles - again hardly any cases since May but we are last out of the blocks on this. Absolutely no need to wait this long unless you were in an are of high infection.

Self catering - wonderful, come to Wales but you can't do anything when you get here!

Tourist attractions - again a few weeks behind the rest of the uk for no apparent reason apart from the fact we weren't allowed to travel. Remember Ken skates statement, that WG never legislated to close them apparently?

Hairdressers - excellent, my appointment is booked for 16:15 on The 13th. The Mrs is gutted but I'm going through loads of shampoo so I need a trim. No argument about timing here.

Pubs etc - too little too late. There are heavy restrictions on the areas that can be used and Drakeford had the power to wave these. Outdoor areas should have been open for at least a week already and businesses allowed to use car parks and the pavement, but they aren't in Wales. I know people working in four pubs and none are bothering to open on the 13th. Neither are wetherspoons.

Swimming pools - chlorine kills the virus with good planning I reckon they could be safe.

Playgrounds - open in England, and children seem to be largely unaffected. So could probably have opened weeks ago.

Gyms - my gym only runs on a class basis with a max of 12 people, a lot of our exercise is outdoor but the indoor is probably 150m3. I don't think there needs to be a blanket ban on them being open . Plus of course there are huge health benefits to being physically fit. They aren't all the same and the level of infection isn't the same in all areas. Obviously massive gyms with hundreds of members are a problem but they aren't all like that.

Anyway the virus hasn't gone away as I've said a number of times. I think England are going too far this weekend but we need to be far further along the line than we are.

The other thing I actually want him to do is provide some form of time line as to what may happen when.

None of this is hard. I genuinely think Drakeford is doing it for political gain.

Mate it’s like flogging a dead horse.

They can not see the damage dithering Drakeford is doing to the country.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:47 - Jul 3 with 1337 viewsrockinjac

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:34 - Jul 3 by pencoedjack

Mate it’s like flogging a dead horse.

They can not see the damage dithering Drakeford is doing to the country.

It’s incredibly frustrating, it shows a lack of critical thinking

But I do go back to my central argument they don’t have a stake in this. Let’s be honest there’s quite a few people enjoying sitting on their arse
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:48 - Jul 3 with 1336 viewsJack123

Good post, although only one point, I think the schools did need to reopen as well! I think the local one by me is only open a few days per week, teaching, cleaning, teaching, cleaning, teaching.

God knows what's going through the little kids heads dealing with this, how I'm so glad I never had this as a nipper.

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:50 - Jul 3 with 1331 viewsrockinjac

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:48 - Jul 3 by Jack123

Good post, although only one point, I think the schools did need to reopen as well! I think the local one by me is only open a few days per week, teaching, cleaning, teaching, cleaning, teaching.

God knows what's going through the little kids heads dealing with this, how I'm so glad I never had this as a nipper.

Can someone please explain to me why they didn’t just bring the summer term forward and start mid August

Let me guess... Unions not budging

Just one year you know one year when you could sacrifice
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:58 - Jul 3 with 1321 viewsLeonWasGod

That doesn't make any sense. You spent 12 paragraphs saying the Welsh response is rubbish, why can't we be just like England. And then say he virus hasn't gone away and England have gone too far.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:02 - Jul 3 with 1314 viewsrockinjac

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:58 - Jul 3 by LeonWasGod

That doesn't make any sense. You spent 12 paragraphs saying the Welsh response is rubbish, why can't we be just like England. And then say he virus hasn't gone away and England have gone too far.

No, it’s a nuanced point of view

Completely fair analysis
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:02 - Jul 3 with 1314 viewsEbo

The government just know that their pandemic strategy makes more sense when you're pissed

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:05 - Jul 3 with 1311 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:58 - Jul 3 by LeonWasGod

No. I've said England are going too far. The issue I have with the English response is opening indoor activity and reducing distancing to 1m plus so soon and so quickly . That is nuts.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:06 - Jul 3 with 1311 viewsBillyChong

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:47 - Jul 3 by rockinjac

It’s incredibly frustrating, it shows a lack of critical thinking

But I do go back to my central argument they don’t have a stake in this. Let’s be honest there’s quite a few people enjoying sitting on their arse

The winners of the furlough scheme are those with no bills, kids, mortgages some of whom are no doubt enjoying. At the other end you’ve got a lot of self employed complaining about not being able to afford such luxuries when they’ve been skimming their tax returns for years.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:10 - Jul 3 with 1309 viewsrockinjac

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:06 - Jul 3 by BillyChong

The winners of the furlough scheme are those with no bills, kids, mortgages some of whom are no doubt enjoying. At the other end you’ve got a lot of self employed complaining about not being able to afford such luxuries when they’ve been skimming their tax returns for years.

Never at one point said that it wasn’t necessary

But it has created a dependency and an entitlement no question with many.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:17 - Jul 3 with 1307 viewsexhmrc1

As for your last comment you would say. Probably totally untrue but not surprising given your views.

Your comments on Swansea not having hardly any cases totally misses the point. The aim was to stop people coming into low case areas in order to ensure the virus did not spread here. At one time Cardiff and RCT had many times the number of cases that were in Swansea without even considering other areas. The idea of keeping local was to stop the spread from infected areas into those with very few cases.

As far as schools are concerned I wouldnt have opened them until September but no doubt had Drakeford done that you would have complained about him not doing so.

Self catering Beaches are open, you can walk up mountains, go to outdoor tourist attractions. Very little different to normal other than pubs and restaurants may not open. Swansea Market is open. Most retailers are back. Same in Quadrant. Many food stalls like Greedy Fellas selling takeaways. Nothing to do. What a way to represent your city and country.

As far as pubs restaurants being open I agree England has gone too far.

You clearly are a big fan of Scotland's approach which has been stricter tham Wales. Enforced face masks on transport. Havent opened schools. Opened shops later than us. Just 3 examples.

Your hatred of Drakeford really comes through. Irrespective the figures show we have lower death rates than the overall UK but to you that doesnt matter when it should be top of the list and the fact is that whatever you think of his policies the figures show they have worked.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Jul 3 with 1301 viewsEbo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:06 - Jul 3 by BillyChong

No one is enjoying furlough. That’s a lazy arse quip straight out of the Tufton Street playbook

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 02:18 - Jul 4 with 1260 viewskrunchykarrot

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Jul 3 by Ebo

No one is enjoying furlough. That’s a lazy arse quip straight out of the Tufton Street playbook

Are you real, i know lots of people lying in the sun down the beach on 80% wages, they couldn't be happier and have all been on a fitness binge as well mountain biking, hiking etc.

Most 16-19yr olds have been partying like never before hippy crack must now be in short supply, they don't give a flying fig for anything until its on Facebook or Greta Thunderbird tells them they are gonna die. Doesn't stop them leaving shite everywhere though.

Dickford has been and will continue to be out of his depth, as are most of that pathetic second rate Senedd Parliament. Complete waste of time and money.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:14 - Jul 4 with 1224 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:50 - Jul 3 by rockinjac

Can someone please explain to me why they didn’t just bring the summer term forward and start mid August

Let me guess... Unions not budging

Just one year you know one year when you could sacrifice

Of course, teachers aren’t about to give up their summer break are they? Been flat out for months don’t you know? In reality, on a rota doing 1 day in 8 I hear in my area of north Cardiff. It’s a complete joke, my two really needed it, 6 months is way too long without going back in. My 8 year old loved it and walking back last week said “I really miss school dad”. I’ve got a feeling not starting back in August is going to bite them on the butt, as if we do have a predictable 2nd wave in October you just know what will be first to close, the schools. Messing up millions of parents plans and millions of kids education again just as they got going again.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:27 - Jul 4 with 1210 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If teachers refused to go to school they should not have been paid.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:48 - Jul 4 with 1196 viewsraynor94

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Jul 3 by Ebo

With respect that post is laughable, 3 months off work on full pay, mortgage and loan holidays if you want, they have had a whale of a time, as the beaches have shown.

Sadly as firms have to start contributing a greater amount the redundancies will start, it's already started in the food and beverage sector

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:50 - Jul 4 with 1197 viewswaynekerr55

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:27 - Jul 4 by felixstowe_jack

Probably the fact that the vast majority didn't refuse to go back. Just a thought...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:52 - Jul 4 with 1196 viewsrockinjac

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:27 - Jul 4 by felixstowe_jack

Teachers seem so precious

Look at the supermarket workers going out everyday on sh1t money keeping the ship afloat

All other major services continue to function but teachers no they can’t possibly go in.

It’s only our kids education at the end of the day no biggie. The kids from poor backgrounds are really going to suffer during this period. I can’t get my head around it do your public duty ffs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024