Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post match observations 14:19 - Sep 26 with 1901 viewsDr_Parnassus

Excellent performance, granted against a side that will probably be this years whipping boys but regardless it was a very good team performance. 3 massive positives and a couple of negatives:-

- Gibbs-White is sheer class, destined for much better things and we have to just enjoy him for the season he is here. Superb technique and vision and someone with the engine to rival Ayew.

- Guehi is a colossus, I can’t imagine his future lies with Chelsea so would love us to try and get him full time. Not only is he rock solid and 100% committed, his ability to step up into midfield when we are on the front foot is a huge plus with the way we play.

- Bidwell has to be most improved player I’ve seen at Swansea for a long time, who for the first half of last season I thought was average at best. Moving to a wing back has proven inspired, his cross for the opener was sublime.

Now I don’t like to do this after such a good away win, but the two negatives that stand out:-

- Korey Smith was largely anonymous. I had to double check he was definitely in the line up halfway though the first half. He clearly kept our shape but that’s about all I can say as he didn’t seem to influence or even touch the ball. But in his defence in that first half we were playing in their third of the pitch a lot of the time and he did come into it a little more as they came more into the game at the back end of the match.

- Jamal Lowe is a good investment in terms of talent to cost ratio, but he is a square peg in a round hole currently, and I fear he will remain so. Seems odd to say it after scoring his first league goal, but he is no striker, he is clearly more suited to being a winger. If we do end up bringing in a striker then I feel he has to be the one to make way, and can’t see him being too happy being a bench player. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s more a case of the right player at the wrong time for us.

All in all however it was a great team performance with a smattering of individual excellence. Just a couple of things to improve on but I’m sure we are working on it behind the scenes.

Onto Millwall.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Post match observations on 14:27 - Sep 26 with 1127 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Good summary there Dr P. We need to make the most of poor sides. We were worth at least two more goals.

Lowe always seems to be in the right place though. Good anticipation for his goal today. MGW is the best midfielder we've had in many a year, oozes class and vision and will score 15 plus goals this season (if he backs himself more).

Bidwell has been superb. Hope he goes on to improve even further. Possible captain material.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Post match observations on 14:28 - Sep 26 with 1124 viewsBadlands

Eh!
We were outstanding for 25 minutes then it was the same old same old.
Gibbs-White was excellent for a bit and shocking for a bit.
How many times does Lowe need a chance to score ... to score.
Bidwell and Roberts deserve praise along with eh back 3 but Wickham are far and away the worst team I have seen in the Championship.
Panicky defence against a side we should not led have eh ball was embarrassing.
On paper and looking at the first 25 minutes we are great ... but the next 70 we were barely on top.
Pleased with the result but another Cooper performance.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Post match observations on 14:30 - Sep 26 with 1116 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Post match observations on 14:28 - Sep 26 by Badlands

Eh!
We were outstanding for 25 minutes then it was the same old same old.
Gibbs-White was excellent for a bit and shocking for a bit.
How many times does Lowe need a chance to score ... to score.
Bidwell and Roberts deserve praise along with eh back 3 but Wickham are far and away the worst team I have seen in the Championship.
Panicky defence against a side we should not led have eh ball was embarrassing.
On paper and looking at the first 25 minutes we are great ... but the next 70 we were barely on top.
Pleased with the result but another Cooper performance.

To be fair the players need to keep up the pressure. I thought MGW was the player with all the chances - or so the commentary said. Lowe had 2 clear cut chances and took one.

Post match observations on 14:33 - Sep 26 with 1108 viewsjasper_T

Shouldn't be annoyed with a 2-0 away win but that second half was sloppy and boring to watch. Any other side would probably have us biting fingernails for the last half hour playing like that. Fortunately Wycombe are poor and strangely enough seem to have become a much nicer side after stepping up to the Championship. In League One they were horrid with the pressing, long balls etc.
Post match observations on 14:35 - Sep 26 with 1095 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Post match observations on 14:33 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

Shouldn't be annoyed with a 2-0 away win but that second half was sloppy and boring to watch. Any other side would probably have us biting fingernails for the last half hour playing like that. Fortunately Wycombe are poor and strangely enough seem to have become a much nicer side after stepping up to the Championship. In League One they were horrid with the pressing, long balls etc.

And 3 clean sheets on the bounce. Excellent

Post match observations on 14:36 - Sep 26 with 1092 viewsAndyCole

Excellent analysis OP.

Matchday threads are also enlightening nowadays. Be also good to get more dialogue as the match unfolds. Some clever posters with excellent insight.

Trunds has is - we need an out and out CF to give us that focus

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Post match observations on 14:37 - Sep 26 with 1090 viewsDr_Parnassus

We have to be aware of what we are. We have an incredibly weak squad, after 65 mins we are going to be vulnerable to anyone in this league, even the likes of Wycombe.

Our team is very thin on the ground, it’s unrealistic to think we would dominate from start to finish away from home to any side in the Championship.

2-0 win, 63% possession, third league clean sheet out of 3, joint top of the league - there can’t be too many criticisms.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 14:38]

Post match observations on 14:40 - Sep 26 with 1074 viewsjasper_T

Post match observations on 14:37 - Sep 26 by Dr_Parnassus

We have to be aware of what we are. We have an incredibly weak squad, after 65 mins we are going to be vulnerable to anyone in this league, even the likes of Wycombe.

Our team is very thin on the ground, it’s unrealistic to think we would dominate from start to finish away from home to any side in the Championship.

2-0 win, 63% possession, third league clean sheet out of 3, joint top of the league - there can’t be too many criticisms.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 14:38]

We don't have an "incredibly weak squad" give over. Nothing wrong with today's bench at Championship level.
Login to get fewer ads

Post match observations on 14:48 - Sep 26 with 1056 viewsDr_Parnassus

Post match observations on 14:40 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

We don't have an "incredibly weak squad" give over. Nothing wrong with today's bench at Championship level.

We certainly do. We have the ability to name 7 subs which should see us cover almost every position on the pitch considering we play 3 CB’s.

Yet out of all our bench the only players that have a position to fill directly with one on the pitch, (in other words a player that can come on and not be out of position) are the following:-

6 Fulton
20 Cullen
21 Dhanda
26 Naughton

I’m being kind there too as Naughton is no wing back really. So our options are Dhanda, Cullen and Fulton. Cullen has hardly played a professional match, Dhanda has never been a starter and Fulton is a fair replacement for Smith should it come to it.

So in terms of our starting 11, when it comes to 65 mins and we need to make changes, unless we are fitting square pegs in round holes our subs are either much weaker than those they are replacing (Fulton aside) or/and relatively inexperienced.

We have no natural centre backs on the bench, no natural experienced striker anywhere in the squad (be that starting or bench) and no natural wingbacks on the bench. That’s 7 of our 11 we have no direct replacement for, and one of the other 4 is a keeper. That screams a thin squat at any level, especially Championship level.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 14:54]

Post match observations on 14:53 - Sep 26 with 1034 viewsjasper_T

Why'd we give new contracts to Routledge and Naughton if they don't fit in with us? Peterson and Routs absolutely fit in the system we're playing with Ayew and Lowe up top. Naughton does the outside centre half drifting into midfield role (or just midfield) well.

Complaining that even Wycombe must have better resources than us to compete over a 90 minute match is bizarre to me. A little perspective, please. We've got far more quality on our bench than many in this division. And a manager who chooses not to use it when his boys get tired.
Post match observations on 14:58 - Sep 26 with 1028 viewsDr_Parnassus

Post match observations on 14:53 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

Why'd we give new contracts to Routledge and Naughton if they don't fit in with us? Peterson and Routs absolutely fit in the system we're playing with Ayew and Lowe up top. Naughton does the outside centre half drifting into midfield role (or just midfield) well.

Complaining that even Wycombe must have better resources than us to compete over a 90 minute match is bizarre to me. A little perspective, please. We've got far more quality on our bench than many in this division. And a manager who chooses not to use it when his boys get tired.

Because they can be useful performers and we have no money to buy anyone. Naughton can do a job at wing back, but he’s no wing back. Routledge can do a job if we change formation, but he’s no striker.

Ayew and Lowe don’t even fit the formation we play let alone Routledge and Peterson, they are just worse versions. We have wingers and forwards playing as strikers, not by design but by necessity. They just happen to be doing ok there at the moment, but the lack of striker is stark and obvious to all.

I wasn’t complaining or stating that Wycombe have better resources. I was making the point that come the hour mark our team either becomes incredibly fatigued by keeping them all on, or it becomes vastly weaker by bringing players on in the wrong position.

So to expect to dominate from start to finish away from home in the Championship is a dream that will probably not be realised once this season let alone it being a benchmark of a good performance.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 15:05]

Post match observations on 15:06 - Sep 26 with 1008 viewsonehunglow

We should always be happy with a win but we have to be honest,Wycombe look the worst team in the Champ by a country mile and we should have trashed them.
Did the players ease off.If they did, Cooper is the one to kick arse.Subs on earlier

Ayew ,whilst class ,is supremely selfish and to me a luxury player. A great pro though.

We look as we always do,complacent whilst ahead and simply invite attackers and encourage teams who are struggling.

Millwall will be different. The Kents look strong .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Post match observations on 15:18 - Sep 26 with 988 views34dfgdf54

Post match observations on 14:53 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

Yeah completely agree word for word.

The manager is petrified of making changes, it will cost us.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 15:19]
Post match observations on 15:19 - Sep 26 with 982 viewsDr_Parnassus

Post match observations on 15:18 - Sep 26 by 34dfgdf54

Yeah completely agree word for word.

The manager is petrified of making changes, it will cost us.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 15:19]

You agree that having wingers as back ups for other wingers being made to play striker means we have adequate replacements for the position.

I don’t understand that logic at all, but hey.

Post match observations on 15:22 - Sep 26 with 976 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Credit to Cooper. His away record with us is:-

P25 W10 D11 L4

That's promotion form on the road. Do we need a different shape at home though? It would be brave to change systems when the current one suits the players at our disposal.
Maybe Gibbs White will provide that creativity to break teams down at home as the season progresses and the players gel more.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Post match observations on 15:30 - Sep 26 with 959 viewsonehunglow

Our demise is evidenced by the very fact we have offered routledge and naughton contracts evidences our appalling recruiting system and our dire business acumen. Watching J Ayew at palace is painful considering he cost them just 2m.

Routledge and Naughton are has beens and Im fearful sentiment has played a part in Routledge continuing to earn a good living at our expense.

I certainly feel for Petersen,a player Cooper is ruining.

In the word of Tracey Barlow, "Come on Steve"

Post match observations on 15:36 - Sep 26 with 951 viewsDr_Parnassus

Post match observations on 15:30 - Sep 26 by onehunglow

Our demise is evidenced by the very fact we have offered routledge and naughton contracts evidences our appalling recruiting system and our dire business acumen. Watching J Ayew at palace is painful considering he cost them just 2m.

Routledge and Naughton are has beens and Im fearful sentiment has played a part in Routledge continuing to earn a good living at our expense.

I certainly feel for Petersen,a player Cooper is ruining.

In the word of Tracey Barlow, "Come on Steve"

Not really anything to do with recruitment.

I would imagine the choices were Naughton and Routledge, or players nobody wants on a free transfer.

The decision is to take them both every single time even though neither really fit in the squad.

We have no money and are dealing in the bargain bin and the loan market. We are doing remarkably well considering.

Post match observations on 15:41 - Sep 26 with 934 viewsonehunglow

With respect,it it is all about recruitment over several seasons and the utter waste of profit made on players replacing good ones with the likes of Clucas,Mackay,Dhanda,Asoro, etc etc.

There would have been no need for us to be in the basement looking for bargains had we had people in charge who knew just how to source players .

Post match observations on 15:47 - Sep 26 with 927 viewsDr_Parnassus

Post match observations on 15:41 - Sep 26 by onehunglow

With respect,it it is all about recruitment over several seasons and the utter waste of profit made on players replacing good ones with the likes of Clucas,Mackay,Dhanda,Asoro, etc etc.

There would have been no need for us to be in the basement looking for bargains had we had people in charge who knew just how to source players .

That’s not Coopers fault though mate, Cooper has recruited remarkably well with the limited resources we have had.

We stayed in the Premier League for 7 seasons, another remarkable achievement. That was always going to end at some point and amazed it lasted so long. Unless you are the top 6 or 7 - everyone gets relegated. And if you get relegated when you are a club our size after so long in the PL then it’s never an easy transition as you are a small club still operating on a PL budget.

Think any grievances from the Premier League need to be left where they are. We have a new-ish board, a new manager and a new squad. We are where we are (which is currently top of the championship).

Post match observations on 15:51 - Sep 26 with 920 viewsTreforys_Jack

Post match observations on 15:47 - Sep 26 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s not Coopers fault though mate, Cooper has recruited remarkably well with the limited resources we have had.

We stayed in the Premier League for 7 seasons, another remarkable achievement. That was always going to end at some point and amazed it lasted so long. Unless you are the top 6 or 7 - everyone gets relegated. And if you get relegated when you are a club our size after so long in the PL then it’s never an easy transition as you are a small club still operating on a PL budget.

Think any grievances from the Premier League need to be left where they are. We have a new-ish board, a new manager and a new squad. We are where we are (which is currently top of the championship).

Excellent post.
Post match observations on 16:12 - Sep 26 with 897 viewsonehunglow

Its a respectful reply from the Dr but I dont agree.

Facts speak for themselves and our buying and selling of players killed us stone dead.

After 7 seasons, out marketing should have seen our fan base increase significantly. It didnt. Small club is a mind set. Small thinking is not the future.

Thousands in Swansea and south Wales eshew our club .Go to a small city like Norwich and you ll find their fans are loyal in droves and attract support from all over the County.

The potential for Swansea was and is huge but it is untapped territory.

Anyway,thanks for the exchange

Post match observations on 16:13 - Sep 26 with 895 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Just been knocked of the top of the table by Reading. What a dilemma not sure if you want Cardiff to get beaten or draw.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Post match observations on 16:17 - Sep 26 with 890 viewsNeath_Jack

Post match observations on 16:13 - Sep 26 by felixstowe_jack

Just been knocked of the top of the table by Reading. What a dilemma not sure if you want Cardiff to get beaten or draw.

Cardiff to lose, the biggest non-brainer ever.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Post match observations on 16:21 - Sep 26 with 884 viewsCatullus

The only thing I would add to the OP is Ayew, I felt today was another game where his holding onto the ball too long cost us, I can't complain about him backing into MGW but at other times there were simple passes he turned down. A player as good as him should be doing those in his sleep.
On another day I reckon we'd have at least 2 more goals. Against better teams this could be a problem.
Wycombe are poor, relegation fodder I think. At times we gave them too much room, too many chances. Because they are so poor we didn't get punished but again, against better teams...

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Post match observations on 16:30 - Sep 26 with 865 viewsjasper_T

One second you're claiming Cooper has recruited "remarkably well" then the next he's having to make do with wingers as his forward options when he signed two of them for cash fees and gave a new contract to another.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024