Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outbreak at DVLA 09:13 - Jan 24 with 3118 viewsGwyn737

All over the print media this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/23/minister-faces-fury-over-mass-covi

Anyone have experience of if this story is accurate?
Outbreak at DVLA on 09:20 - Jan 24 with 2440 viewsWhiterockin

Just want to point out this is not over 500 current cases but since September. I do not want to undermine the seriousness of the situation but just want to stop people jumping to conclusions and panicking.
Outbreak at DVLA on 09:31 - Jan 24 with 2424 viewsGwyn737

Outbreak at DVLA on 09:20 - Jan 24 by Whiterockin

Just want to point out this is not over 500 current cases but since September. I do not want to undermine the seriousness of the situation but just want to stop people jumping to conclusions and panicking.

I know what you mean, hence my reluctance to take the story at face value 👍
Outbreak at DVLA on 09:35 - Jan 24 with 2414 viewsblackswan

Workers being stopped from working at home this lockdown unlike the one back in march. Surely this is a government agency going against it's own government guidelines
Outbreak at DVLA on 09:52 - Jan 24 with 2378 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

It is difficult to see/hear/read anything from the media these days without an emotive narrative.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:01 - Jan 24 with 2367 viewsexhmrc1

One of my old work colleagues is one of the Wales leaders of the PCS. He commented on this on facebook a week ago. DVLA have been requiring staff to go to work rather than work from home. It is a disgrace that a government agency should be acting in this way. I know many of my ex colleagues in HMRC have been working from home since March. What a difference between 2 government bodies. I know someone who works for VOSA which is also part of the Department of Transport who has largely been working from home.
Outbreak at DVLA on 10:26 - Jan 24 with 2340 viewsWhiterockin

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:01 - Jan 24 by exhmrc1

One of my old work colleagues is one of the Wales leaders of the PCS. He commented on this on facebook a week ago. DVLA have been requiring staff to go to work rather than work from home. It is a disgrace that a government agency should be acting in this way. I know many of my ex colleagues in HMRC have been working from home since March. What a difference between 2 government bodies. I know someone who works for VOSA which is also part of the Department of Transport who has largely been working from home.

Yes I agree its a disgrace, I was just pointing out that it is not the current infection rate in the DVLA as people often jump to conclusions.
Outbreak at DVLA on 10:53 - Jan 24 with 2297 viewsexhmrc1

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:26 - Jan 24 by Whiterockin

Yes I agree its a disgrace, I was just pointing out that it is not the current infection rate in the DVLA as people often jump to conclusions.

My wife has just spoken to her 86 year old brother in law. He went for his covid injection in Clydach yesterday and described it as being like a cattle market there. It was packed. Every room was in use and it was 1 in and one out. I know several other surgeries were in use vaccinating yesterday. Hopefully it will have made a huge impact on over 80s being vaccinated. Now the AZ vaccine is in use should hugely improve the situation. Not expecting over 80s to travel distances was in my eyes a very sensible decision by WG. it is a shame that AZ didnt get approved and produced as quickly as hoped otherwise most over 80s would be vaccinated by now. It will never be 100% as some wont have it done anyone who has had covid has to be free of it for 28 days before they can be vaccinated. In an article on BBC Wales yesterday 17 care homes in Cardiff and 16 in Swansea had outbreaks in the first week of January so wont be able to be vaccinated until Mid/Late Feb.
Outbreak at DVLA on 10:59 - Jan 24 with 2287 viewsNeath_Jack

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:01 - Jan 24 by exhmrc1

You shouldn't jump to conclusions based on a newspaper article, and anecdotal stories.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

Outbreak at DVLA on 11:02 - Jan 24 with 2281 viewsWhiterockin

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:53 - Jan 24 by exhmrc1

My wife has just spoken to her 86 year old brother in law. He went for his covid injection in Clydach yesterday and described it as being like a cattle market there. It was packed. Every room was in use and it was 1 in and one out. I know several other surgeries were in use vaccinating yesterday. Hopefully it will have made a huge impact on over 80s being vaccinated. Now the AZ vaccine is in use should hugely improve the situation. Not expecting over 80s to travel distances was in my eyes a very sensible decision by WG. it is a shame that AZ didnt get approved and produced as quickly as hoped otherwise most over 80s would be vaccinated by now. It will never be 100% as some wont have it done anyone who has had covid has to be free of it for 28 days before they can be vaccinated. In an article on BBC Wales yesterday 17 care homes in Cardiff and 16 in Swansea had outbreaks in the first week of January so wont be able to be vaccinated until Mid/Late Feb.

What has this got to do with the DVLA please keep on thread.
Outbreak at DVLA on 11:14 - Jan 24 with 2262 viewsblobby2

Outbreak at DVLA on 10:59 - Jan 24 by Neath_Jack

You shouldn't jump to conclusions based on a newspaper article, and anecdotal stories.

Back last March the DVLA recognised my twin brother as vulnerable following a recent heart attackand ordered him to stay home. This he did for many months then he was ordered back to work in December. He died with covid in early January despite taking every precaution and only leaving home for work.
I have no doubt that his death would have been prevented had he not returned to work. Whoever made the decision to recall vulnerable staff has blood on their hands.
Absolutely shocking and reckless decision making.

on the north bank in 64 currently in 2 seats in the upper east and proudly supporting Wales ONLY premier league team. Prosser is a twonk!

Outbreak at DVLA on 11:17 - Jan 24 with 2259 viewsonehunglow

Outbreak at DVLA on 11:14 - Jan 24 by blobby2

Back last March the DVLA recognised my twin brother as vulnerable following a recent heart attackand ordered him to stay home. This he did for many months then he was ordered back to work in December. He died with covid in early January despite taking every precaution and only leaving home for work.
I have no doubt that his death would have been prevented had he not returned to work. Whoever made the decision to recall vulnerable staff has blood on their hands.

Blobby.
Frankly, that is genuinely as upsetting a read I've ever seen on here. I'm not sure how you are able to process that but you will find ways.

All of us wish you the best possible for the future

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Outbreak at DVLA on 11:25 - Jan 24 with 2244 viewsNeath_Jack

That's awful, and if i remember correctly he used to post on here.

Shielding of the vulnerable ended in August last year, so the DVLA would have been following Government guidance in relation to your brother going back into work. Not that it excuses what happened to your brother of course.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Outbreak at DVLA on 12:43 - Jan 24 with 2175 viewsfelixstowe_jack

People have been trying to renew their driving licence since June and have lost their jobs as drivers as a result of no licence. There does not seem to be anything in place to sort out urgent requests or even giving a year extension until thing are back to normal.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Outbreak at DVLA on 12:51 - Jan 24 with 2170 viewsBoundy

Blobby, it was bad enough hearing of your loss and even more so knowing the detail , I have family working there and I know he's been working from home since the outset but like your brother he's been told to return to work . I just hope we don't have to go through what you must be feeling right now.This goes against all government guidelines and shocking that people are having to make which could turn out to be literally life and death decisions .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Outbreak at DVLA on 13:05 - Jan 24 with 2149 viewsGwyn737

Outbreak at DVLA on 12:51 - Jan 24 by Boundy

Blobby, it was bad enough hearing of your loss and even more so knowing the detail , I have family working there and I know he's been working from home since the outset but like your brother he's been told to return to work . I just hope we don't have to go through what you must be feeling right now.This goes against all government guidelines and shocking that people are having to make which could turn out to be literally life and death decisions .

The stories published today suggest the IT sysetms were antiquated and not good enough to enable home working to the necessary degree.

That may well be the case, but there’s been 10 months to sort that out.

A well workforce working from home may have prevented the delays Felixstowe Jack mentions too.
Outbreak at DVLA on 15:43 - Jan 24 with 2057 viewsWhiterockin

So the Senedd knew about the situation and did nothing.

"Eluned Morgan told Radio Cymru the Welsh Government has been keeping an eye on the situation at the Swansea offices."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55785912
Outbreak at DVLA on 15:49 - Jan 24 with 2043 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

This has been known for a while. A friend told me about the situation there a month or two ago, describing how they had seen 370 cases in a very short amount of time.

Hopefully those who have been forced to work in the office and contracted the virus when it was possible for them to work from home are able to sue those in charge.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Outbreak at DVLA on 16:26 - Jan 24 with 2001 viewsScotia

This situation is completely unacceptable. Have the management learnt anything since the first few cases? It should have been completely stamped out.

I've heard horror stories about social distancing in the DVLA. I've even heard of someone continuing to go to work after testing positive.

Can you imagine if a wetherspoons was responsible for over 500 cases? Or a school for that matter.

With an R number of 1, the DVLA is directly responsible for over a thousand cases, that is about 4 a day since the start of the pandemic.

I'm certain it's workplaces and homes that are responsible for the vast majority of cases rather than other places that are closed.
Outbreak at DVLA on 16:32 - Jan 24 with 1997 viewsCatullus

Outbreak at DVLA on 15:49 - Jan 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

This has been known for a while. A friend told me about the situation there a month or two ago, describing how they had seen 370 cases in a very short amount of time.

Hopefully those who have been forced to work in the office and contracted the virus when it was possible for them to work from home are able to sue those in charge.

Hasn't this been reported in the WOL before? Didn't Drakeford say he'd be writing to DVLA bosses?

If IT systems are antiquated and meant people couldn't work from home, how did they do so in the first lockdown?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Outbreak at DVLA on 17:04 - Jan 24 with 1973 viewsmajorraglan

Outbreak at DVLA on 15:43 - Jan 24 by Whiterockin

So the Senedd knew about the situation and did nothing.

"Eluned Morgan told Radio Cymru the Welsh Government has been keeping an eye on the situation at the Swansea offices."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55785912

Firstly, Blobby I am sorry to hear of your brothers passing, my deepest condolences go out to your and your family.

I don’t think this is down to the WG, the Department of Transport or whatever it’s be rebranded (and ultimately the Westminster Government) own and operate the site. I believe enforcement of covid 19 legislation sits with Swansea City Council Public Protection and or the HSE, the WG write the laws but don’t enforce.

There are lots of potential issues here, but the bottom line is that staff should be able to work in a safe environment.
Outbreak at DVLA on 19:27 - Jan 24 with 1911 viewsKilkennyjack

Outbreak at DVLA on 17:04 - Jan 24 by majorraglan

Firstly, Blobby I am sorry to hear of your brothers passing, my deepest condolences go out to your and your family.

I don’t think this is down to the WG, the Department of Transport or whatever it’s be rebranded (and ultimately the Westminster Government) own and operate the site. I believe enforcement of covid 19 legislation sits with Swansea City Council Public Protection and or the HSE, the WG write the laws but don’t enforce.

There are lots of potential issues here, but the bottom line is that staff should be able to work in a safe environment.

Its in Wales.

Welsh Govt rules and guidance will apply.
Public Health Wales will be involved.

That applies to every workplace in Swansea including the DVLA.

Beware of the Risen People

Outbreak at DVLA on 19:30 - Jan 24 with 1906 viewsKilkennyjack

So sorry to read that.

RIP.

Beware of the Risen People

Outbreak at DVLA on 19:41 - Jan 24 with 1892 viewsNotLoyal

I'm so sorry mate, keep your evidence close and seek advice, you should never, ever be going through this when grieving. I'm absolutely fuming, seriously mate, you stick around and try and seek some solace with the Swansea family. Jeez, is there anything we can do ? I'm boiling. What the hell is this world we live in.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Outbreak at DVLA on 20:33 - Jan 24 with 1838 viewsBillyChong

Know staff there who have missed at least 4-6 weeks work overall due to isolation notifications - not sure the bit about being made to turn their apps off is correct. Either way, if that’s a result of the poor working environment they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Outbreak at DVLA on 20:50 - Jan 24 with 1827 viewsCatullus

Outbreak at DVLA on 20:33 - Jan 24 by BillyChong

Know staff there who have missed at least 4-6 weeks work overall due to isolation notifications - not sure the bit about being made to turn their apps off is correct. Either way, if that’s a result of the poor working environment they are shooting themselves in the foot.

If members of staff were willing to report managers who ordered them to turn T&T off, would anything get done?

My experience (not in the DVLA admittedly) was managers stuck together and staff members got shafted.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024