Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 02:51 - May 2 with 11272 viewsDr_Parnassus

Firstly congratulations to Steve Cooper, the players and everyone at the club for not only reaching the playoffs for the second consecutive year, but amassing a points tally equal to our record best in this division, held previously by our incredible Brendan Rodgers side the year we went up.

We do have a chance to topple that record with any kind of positive result against Watford next week.

Not only is the points tally being exactly the same pretty remarkable, but also the fact we were going in with the best defensive record and yet the worst (joint) scoring record. Whether or not you like the style, like the manager - the blueprint has been very similar with regards to that.

But now the playoffs have been decided and we can look ahead...

The worst possible result for us sadly. They are one of those teams we don’t seem to do well against and think it’s fair to say that on paper have the strongest squad in the playoffs. Our last 6 meetings:-

Bournemouth 3-0 Swansea
Swansea 0-0 Bournemouth

Bournemouth 1-0 Swansea
Swansea 0-0 Bournemouth

Bournemouth 2-0 Swansea
Swansea 0-3 Bournemouth

0 goals scored. 9 goals conceded.

As many may have gathered by now I approach football the same way as I do with most aspects of life, methodical with a focus on statistics, trends and probabilities.

That premise suggests that you want to avoid the best team over the longest period of time. If you must meet that team then you have a greater chance to beat that team over a shorter period of time.

For example if Man City played Sheff United over a 90 minute match, they would probably be in the region of 1/10 to win, if the rules of the game made that a 180 minute match the odds would probably be 1/20, because the longer the time you have the more chance that the class difference will tell.

So ideally we would have wanted them in the final where aspects such as luck can play a part and not have chance to even itself out over the longer course of 2 legs.

So it’s going to be tough. But not impossible. We had a similar route in the Carling Cup where we were faced with playing Chelsea over 2 legs which set up an easier final. So it’s not out of the question.

Bournemouth rested a host of players against Wycombe yesterday and will probably do so again next week. We didn’t rest as many as I thought we would so would like to see that happen next week, which really is a dead rubber. It would be pretty galling to pick up an injury or red card.

All that is left to play for is home advantage in the second leg.

What will be will be. But whatever happens from here on in, this has been yet another successful season.
[Post edited 2 May 2021 3:06]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 07:20 - May 2 with 5144 viewsNotLoyal

What a cracking post 👍 Hopefully it will be run as a story later. That’s where the views are 👍
[Post edited 2 May 2021 7:39]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:19 - May 2 with 5095 viewsThornburyswan

Good analysis Doc & whilst it could still change but unlikely so if it is Bournemouth we have a tough challenge over two legs as you point out very effectively - don’t think it’s quite the Man City - Sheffield Utd level but probably more like, on this seasons form, Chelsea - West Ham.

Our only positives are decent defensive standards & strong resilience in games even when playing poorly - probably through lots of practice! Bournemouth can be frustrated, particularly if the opposition go ahead & are strong defensively but I suspect only Norwich could out football them.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:24 - May 2 with 5073 viewsbuilthjack

Treat each game as a cup final. Never say never..

Every single player has to perform. If they do, we have a good chance.
If they go back to being half hearted, as they have in many games, we will get stuffed.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:32 - May 2 with 5071 viewsNotLoyal

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:24 - May 2 by builthjack

Treat each game as a cup final. Never say never..

Every single player has to perform. If they do, we have a good chance.
If they go back to being half hearted, as they have in many games, we will get stuffed.

Shit or bust.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:41 - May 2 with 5067 viewsfelixstowe_jack

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:32 - May 2 by NotLoyal

Shit or bust.

A good season with 10 points more than last season and 15 points more than under Potter yet some supporters think we are going backwards.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 09:27 - May 2 with 4987 viewsonehunglow

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:41 - May 2 by felixstowe_jack

A good season with 10 points more than last season and 15 points more than under Potter yet some supporters think we are going backwards.

I 'll go down the Doris Day way

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:11 - May 2 with 4968 viewsjack_lord

If we lose next week and Bradford win and Bournemouth win we will finish 6th? We would play Bradford?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:16 - May 2 with 4961 viewsKeithHaynes

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:11 - May 2 by jack_lord

If we lose next week and Bradford win and Bournemouth win we will finish 6th? We would play Bradford?

I fancy us against Bradford tbh.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:19 - May 2 with 4935 viewsbuilthjack

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:16 - May 2 by KeithHaynes

I fancy us against Bradford tbh.

We put 5 on them last time so looking good

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:19 - May 2 with 4948 viewsjack247

Barnsley would need an 11 goal swing to finish above us. Like we did to Forest last year.

Bradford have even more catching up to do.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:27 - May 2 with 4936 viewsjack247

If it is Bournemouth, which looks almost certain, they are going to create chances against us.

If Cooper goes into his shell and tries to eek out two drabfests, the pressure will build and build and they’ll eventually score.

We should be playing our best front 3 and trying to keep the ball in their final third for periods. I know loads will disagree, but for me Ayew, Routledge and Lowe give us the best synergy in attack. Cullen on for Routledge when he tires.

If we do happen to be ahead at that point, then Roberts/Naughton on for Routledge, change formation and go more defensive for the last 20 minutes or so is an option.

Just accept they will get chances and focus on giving them problems as well as defensive shape, rather than just parking the bus and hoping for a bit of magic from Ayew.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:30 - May 2 with 4930 viewsjack_lord

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:19 - May 2 by jack247

Barnsley would need an 11 goal swing to finish above us. Like we did to Forest last year.

Bradford have even more catching up to do.

Actually just checked the table. I think they will win next week but we need to draw anf boremuff lose.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:32 - May 2 with 4920 viewsJoe_bradshaw

In the very unlikely event that we finished 6th we would play Brentford who are immovable from 3rd.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:47 - May 2 with 4908 viewsraynor94

Not easy on the eye, but you can't argue with the facts, 2 of the most successful seasons in our history.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 11:08 - May 2 with 4884 viewsKeithHaynes

Thank you Dr P 👍

It hasn’t been a good watch at Swansea but it’s record equalling 2nd May 2021 10:40
The end of the season isn’t even with us and Swansea City are firmly in the Championship play offs. Barring any serious miracles on the last day the swans will play Bournemouth over two legs a week after this season concludes. If not and it’s someone else, it really doesn’t matter, the job has to be done. However, Steve Cooper and his achievements this season and last are superb, so why is this an issue for some Swansea City followers ? 1

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 12:03 - May 2 with 4840 viewsA_Fans_Dad

It is very interesting looking at the 2011 table.
Of all those top 12 clubs the only ones that eventually made it in to the prem that are still there are Leicester, Leeds and Burnley .
It goes to show just how difficult it is for the any club but especially smaller clubs to get up there and stay there.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 12:28 - May 2 with 4813 viewsReslovenSwan1

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 12:03 - May 2 by A_Fans_Dad

It is very interesting looking at the 2011 table.
Of all those top 12 clubs the only ones that eventually made it in to the prem that are still there are Leicester, Leeds and Burnley .
It goes to show just how difficult it is for the any club but especially smaller clubs to get up there and stay there.

It also demonstrates the chances of Swansea returning within the next 10 years is pretty good. Swansea has managed the parachute in a textbook fashion and have small debt and promising young players.

Wise sage since Toshack era

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 16:39 - May 2 with 4729 viewsmonmouth

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 10:27 - May 2 by jack247

If it is Bournemouth, which looks almost certain, they are going to create chances against us.

If Cooper goes into his shell and tries to eek out two drabfests, the pressure will build and build and they’ll eventually score.

We should be playing our best front 3 and trying to keep the ball in their final third for periods. I know loads will disagree, but for me Ayew, Routledge and Lowe give us the best synergy in attack. Cullen on for Routledge when he tires.

If we do happen to be ahead at that point, then Roberts/Naughton on for Routledge, change formation and go more defensive for the last 20 minutes or so is an option.

Just accept they will get chances and focus on giving them problems as well as defensive shape, rather than just parking the bus and hoping for a bit of magic from Ayew.

We have to play the team that started against Millwall and Wednesday don't we? With Cabango for Bennett maybe, for set pieces at both ends.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 17:03 - May 2 with 4711 viewsTreforys_Jack

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 08:41 - May 2 by felixstowe_jack

We have gone backwards in the entertainment aspect, obviously the results and points total cannot be denied. However anyone who says they've enjoyed the football this season has my total admiration. Football is a business buts its also an entertainment business. I am actually very optimistic about the future.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 17:45 - May 2 with 4676 viewsjack247

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 16:39 - May 2 by monmouth

We have to play the team that started against Millwall and Wednesday don't we? With Cabango for Bennett maybe, for set pieces at both ends.

I’d go Bennett and Guehi, but can see the argument either way.

Other than that, I agree. Same team, same mindset.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 18:35 - May 2 with 4636 views34dfgdf54

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 17:45 - May 2 by jack247

Cabango and Guehi for me against a very mobile attack.
So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 11:31 - May 3 with 4438 viewsjack_lord

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 18:35 - May 2 by 34dfgdf54

Cabango and Guehi for me against a very mobile attack.

horses for courses. I can see the benefit of experience being invaluable from Bennett in these games but the mobility of our defence is so important. Whatever we do I think we have to move the ball quickly and keep the opposition away from their own game.

We know what they do well so those spaces have to be covered quickly if we lose possession.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 11:59 - May 3 with 4412 viewsKeithHaynes

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 17:45 - May 2 by jack247

Bennett, Guehi, Cabango
Roberts. Manning
Grimes, Fulton, Dhanda
Ayew, Lowe

Cooper will most likely go with Naughton instead of Cabango, but I think those three at the back are solid. I can see Cullen and Whittaker on the bench or maybe with such a strong defence Lowe on the left and Cullen with Ayew. Maybe too attacking for him, plus I think Hourihane will be included. Which worries me.

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 12:15 - May 3 with 4393 viewsonehunglow

I expect no changes. Wrong players ,wrong tactics

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So it’s Bournemouth... plus we equal 2011 on 17:20 - May 3 with 4292 viewsPJackArmy

How are u working out that we definately have bmouth? All it takes is for barnsley to better bmouths result in the last game and we will have barnsley
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024