Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Universal Basic Income 21:26 - May 14 with 5068 viewsGwyn737

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/14/wales-to-launch-universal-basic-

Economics isn’t an area of expertise for me. I can’t see how this would work. Can anyone here mount a case?
Universal Basic Income on 21:35 - May 14 with 2127 viewsFlashberryjack

If anyone can make it work, Drakeford can, if he can't, he'll just blame Boris.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Universal Basic Income on 21:51 - May 14 with 2109 viewspencoedjack

I’ve worked hard all of my life & earn a good wage I’d far rather see the money given to the NHS & reduce the longest waiting lists in the U.K. I also don’t think I should have free prescriptions.
Universal Basic Income on 21:53 - May 14 with 2109 viewsCatullus

I have a few issues with it. First of all it's universal so we'll be giving money to millionaires, to footballers on 10 per week. That's not levelling up, the poor people will be able to manage but the well off and above will be stashing money in savings accounts. When they decide to scrap it the poor will be back to square one and the rich will have loads of spare cash courtesy of the tax payers.

Then where will they trial it, surely it has to be in the most deprived areas of Wales. Does that rule Cardiff out? There will be ructions if this is trialled in Cardiff!

The real big issue is, they cannot do this without Westminsters backing because welfare isn't devolved. So is this scheme just something else they'll use to attack Westminster/Bojo/the government?

From a purely persoanl point of view, we are doing Ok, we can save some every month. If we were getting this UBI we would be paying down the mortgage or maybe just stashing it in the savings. How does that help the economy or the poorest?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Universal Basic Income on 21:58 - May 14 with 2087 viewscontroversial_jack

Universal Basic Income on 21:53 - May 14 by Catullus

I have a few issues with it. First of all it's universal so we'll be giving money to millionaires, to footballers on 10 per week. That's not levelling up, the poor people will be able to manage but the well off and above will be stashing money in savings accounts. When they decide to scrap it the poor will be back to square one and the rich will have loads of spare cash courtesy of the tax payers.

Then where will they trial it, surely it has to be in the most deprived areas of Wales. Does that rule Cardiff out? There will be ructions if this is trialled in Cardiff!

The real big issue is, they cannot do this without Westminsters backing because welfare isn't devolved. So is this scheme just something else they'll use to attack Westminster/Bojo/the government?

From a purely persoanl point of view, we are doing Ok, we can save some every month. If we were getting this UBI we would be paying down the mortgage or maybe just stashing it in the savings. How does that help the economy or the poorest?

i'm sure it will be means tested
Universal Basic Income on 22:00 - May 14 with 2100 viewsCatullus

Universal Basic Income on 21:51 - May 14 by pencoedjack

I’ve worked hard all of my life & earn a good wage I’d far rather see the money given to the NHS & reduce the longest waiting lists in the U.K. I also don’t think I should have free prescriptions.

I've never been keen on universal benefits either, I thought it was too each according to their need, if rich people/well off people can afford to pay then they should. Free scripts should only be for people with lifelong conditions.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Universal Basic Income on 22:01 - May 14 with 2094 viewsGwyn737

That’s the thing, I don’t understand how it wouldn’t just push inflation up?
Universal Basic Income on 22:01 - May 14 with 2094 viewsCatullus

Universal Basic Income on 21:58 - May 14 by controversial_jack

i'm sure it will be means tested

I think the word "universal" gives it away! It means EVERYBODY will get it.

Universal Basic Income on 22:04 - May 14 with 2092 viewsCatullus

Universal Basic Income on 22:01 - May 14 by Gwyn737

That’s the thing, I don’t understand how it wouldn’t just push inflation up?

Yes and then you have to trust the economy minister, Vaughn Gething, to deal with it.

Would we see lots of poor people trying to move here from other parts of the UK?

How would the BoE deal with it, if inflation rises so do interest rates.

Login to get fewer ads

Universal Basic Income on 22:10 - May 14 with 2085 viewsGwyn737

Universal Basic Income on 22:04 - May 14 by Catullus

Yes and then you have to trust the economy minister, Vaughn Gething, to deal with it.

Would we see lots of poor people trying to move here from other parts of the UK?

How would the BoE deal with it, if inflation rises so do interest rates.

Be much better paying for cheap child care and subsidising tuition fees IMO.
Universal Basic Income on 22:13 - May 14 with 2077 viewsbritferry

Universal Basic Income on 22:01 - May 14 by Catullus

I think the word "universal" gives it away! It means EVERYBODY will get it.

If people only read the article...
Under a UBI system, every citizen, regardless of their means, receives regular sums of money for life to cover the basic cost of living.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 22:14]

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Universal Basic Income on 22:15 - May 14 with 2074 viewsGwyn737

Universal Basic Income on 21:51 - May 14 by pencoedjack

I’m with you on prescriptions. Take the money and fund NHS dentists could be a good shout.
Universal Basic Income on 22:17 - May 14 with 2071 viewsmajorraglan

I don’t know the science behind this but I have no objection in principle to a basic universal income as long as the maths stack up, HOWEVER working on the principle there is no free lunch I would expect those receiving the greatest supplements to be earning their unvesal basic income through voluntary work or compulsory work for the dole type schemes.
Universal Basic Income on 22:20 - May 14 with 2063 viewsCatullus

Universal Basic Income on 22:10 - May 14 by Gwyn737

Be much better paying for cheap child care and subsidising tuition fees IMO.

I'm with you there, put the money into supporting the poorest, put it into the NHS, put it into schools but don't be giving free money to everybody.

I don't need it but I wouldn't turn it down, who would? If everybody was getting it, only an idiot would stand on their principles and say no. Besides, as we found out with some other benefits, there isn't a mechanism for refusing them!

Universal Basic Income on 22:22 - May 14 with 2057 viewsBarrySwan

It's failed everywhere else its been tried so why not try it in Wales?

It's the labour way.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 22:24]
Universal Basic Income on 22:24 - May 14 with 2041 viewsraynor94

Absolutely laughable, can't say more I'm lost for words

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Universal Basic Income on 22:39 - May 14 with 2037 viewsAjack_Kerouac

1) Never break the link between work and reward. That's dumb and will end in disaster.
2) Too much money chasing the few products and services of real value always results in massive inflation. Always. (See Biden/Harris' America right now for the evidence) .

Economics 101.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

Universal Basic Income on 22:43 - May 14 with 2030 viewsCatullus

Universal Basic Income on 22:22 - May 14 by BarrySwan

It's failed everywhere else its been tried so why not try it in Wales?

It's the labour way.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 22:24]

I tend to agree with you, but,

https://www.dw.com/en/does-finland-show-the-way-to-universal-basic-income/a-5359

Maybe it'll depend how it's implemented and managed?

Universal Basic Income on 00:40 - May 15 with 1976 viewsjack_lord

My first question will always be where is the money coming from? We have a mediocre form of universal basic income already.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Universal Basic Income on 07:38 - May 15 with 1904 viewstrampie

Glad the Welsh are looking into it, lots of Welsh politicians from different parties have liked the idea for many years and the Welsh public are mad for it.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Universal Basic Income on 07:40 - May 15 with 1900 viewstrampie

Could an independent Wales go in for it for real, not faffing around the edges like in trials but full on ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Universal Basic Income on 08:00 - May 15 with 1887 viewstrampie

Are you on benefits ?, because if so under the full on version of UBI benefits will be gone (no doubt this trial will be just a little tickle).

The theory is that it pulls people out of poverty that might not be working or are on benefits, it makes work pay for those currently just keeping their heads above water giving them more money to spend in the economy and although the rich get it they will help pay for it via taxation.

If everybody gets £1500 a month (18k a year) for example then that will put a lot of people into higher tax bracket and the rich into a super tax bracket (do they still have that ?).

Universal Basic Income on 08:08 - May 15 with 1876 viewstrampie

I heard an advocate of it talking about it a couple of years ago on the radio from the point of view of not enough jobs to go around due to automation, cheap labour overseas etc and he was saying that those that choose not to work would get enough to get by under a full fat UBI, those that work in ordinary jobs might be able to afford a half decent car and a holiday making work pay compared to those that choose not to work and the rich will get more coin but pay more tax as it would be classed as income.

Universal Basic Income on 08:18 - May 15 with 1861 viewstrampie

They think that it will be cheaper than what the state currently spends on fighting poverty and the benefits the state currently pays out.

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/18332560.plaid-cymru-leader-calls-universal-b

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2019/11/15/green-party-announces-plan-for-ful

Not sure about the Conservatives, UBI sounds like more of a left thing than a right thing so not sure what their stance is.

Universal Basic Income on 09:11 - May 15 with 1850 viewsmajorraglan

Universal Basic Income on 08:18 - May 15 by trampie

They think that it will be cheaper than what the state currently spends on fighting poverty and the benefits the state currently pays out.

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/18332560.plaid-cymru-leader-calls-universal-b

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2019/11/15/green-party-announces-plan-for-ful

Not sure about the Conservatives, UBI sounds like more of a left thing than a right thing so not sure what their stance is.

I know some elements of the Conservative party want to increase the minimum wage well beyond where it is now, the theory being if companies pay more then the state won’t have to pay so much in universal credit / tax credits or whatever it’s called.
Universal Basic Income on 09:30 - May 15 with 1822 viewstrampie

You can see the English powers that be being against this, if that was the case it would be another reason for Scotland, Wales etc to breakaway.

They reckon it could become the greatest 'benefit' for the people in this country since the NHS , but will the power brokers and leaders in London go for it ?, considering the right wing rules and England let's be honest and fair is very right wing, would the likes of Scotland and Wales have to break away to get it (full fat version).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024