Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? 20:43 - Sep 19 with 5333 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Are you happy with our government's handling of it?
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 01:05 - Sep 21 with 902 viewshowenjack

We could all have free energy if the powers that be wanted it courtesy of Nicola Tesla . His experiments proved it could be done but were rejected because there was no profit in it . A sad reflection on humanity at the time . Tesla was a philanthropist and humanitarian unlike the bankers who sponsored him.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:07 - Sep 21 with 833 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 20:21 - Sep 20 by Kilkennyjack

Another Johnson failure.

It’s a failure rooted in the Thatcherite obsession with “deregulation “ and “freedom of trade” and “fair”competition

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:18 - Sep 21 with 831 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:07 - Sep 21 by Brynmill_Jack

It’s a failure rooted in the Thatcherite obsession with “deregulation “ and “freedom of trade” and “fair”competition

Can you imagine how much higher it would have been under British Gas an inefficient monopoly with no incentive to modernise. Since competition was introduced we have nearly 30 years of lower gas prices. The same goes for electricity. You can hardly blame Thatcher for a post pandemic surge in World gas prices.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:41 - Sep 21 with 811 viewsThurrockJack92

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 17:31 - Sep 20 by Professor

Nuclear is a far better option in the short to medium term than coal or gas. Acceptance is the issue after Fukushima, Chernobyl , Three Mile Island etc. But another where we have failed to invest

Thorium plants could potentially remove this pitfall.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:42 - Sep 21 with 810 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:18 - Sep 21 by felixstowe_jack

Can you imagine how much higher it would have been under British Gas an inefficient monopoly with no incentive to modernise. Since competition was introduced we have nearly 30 years of lower gas prices. The same goes for electricity. You can hardly blame Thatcher for a post pandemic surge in World gas prices.

Under government control. Power for the people.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 10:07 - Sep 21 with 802 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:42 - Sep 21 by Brynmill_Jack

Why should the government have control on what we pay for energy? I would rather pay lower prices in a free market.

That gives the people the power to shop around for the best prices.

Do you reallt think all prices in shops, online for all goods should by the government?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 10:09]

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 10:11 - Sep 21 with 797 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:18 - Sep 21 by felixstowe_jack

Thatcher, wanted to remove the electricity industry from state control, so she sold it to the french state company.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:16 - Sep 21 with 759 viewsA_Fans_Dad

"Since competition was introduced we have nearly 30 years of lower gas prices.

Nothing to do with North Sea natural gas then.
Login to get fewer ads

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:18 - Sep 21 with 757 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:41 - Sep 21 by ThurrockJack92

Thorium plants could potentially remove this pitfall.

Well, well, someone who actually knows a thing or two about where future nuclear should be going.
MSRs.
Plus SMRs as well.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 15:22]
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:19 - Sep 21 with 755 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 10:07 - Sep 21 by felixstowe_jack

Why should the government have control on what we pay for energy? I would rather pay lower prices in a free market.

That gives the people the power to shop around for the best prices.

Do you reallt think all prices in shops, online for all goods should by the government?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 10:09]

You are currently seeing the results of your apparent "free market" when all the eggs are placed in a Russian Gazprom basket.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:24 - Sep 21 with 752 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 00:13 - Sep 21 by controversial_jack

The prices are set on the international markets

How can international markets control our own gas production.
Did it control America's home prices for their gas?
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 18:13 - Sep 21 with 734 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:24 - Sep 21 by A_Fans_Dad

How can international markets control our own gas production.
Did it control America's home prices for their gas?

Simple the companies that produce the gas from UK gas field charge world prices.

The UK only produces 50% of the gas it needs the rest is imported

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 19:26 - Sep 21 with 714 viewsbuilthjack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 10:11 - Sep 21 by controversial_jack

Thatcher, wanted to remove the electricity industry from state control, so she sold it to the french state company.

She sold a hell of a lot of British industry to foreigners. She was a bad un. Very bad.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 19:32 - Sep 21 with 709 viewsA_Fans_Dad

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 19:26 - Sep 21 by builthjack

She sold a hell of a lot of British industry to foreigners. She was a bad un. Very bad.

And Blair continued the process, a Thatcherite in the disguise of "New Labour".
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 21:14 - Sep 21 with 668 viewsItchySphincter

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 10:11 - Sep 21 by controversial_jack

It’s a proven concept in successful countries - not only do you need to be in complete control of your power supplies but you also need a good chunk of other countries’ too. Thatcher sold it off for the benefit of the few, and they’ll never suffer. Felixstowe thinks it was about monopolies. I know I’m probably going to get in to trouble for this but he really has got to be the thickest poster ever to have graced these boards. It’s almost painful how stupid he is.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 22:29 - Sep 21 with 654 viewsmajorraglan

A lot of the industries that were privatised were “modernised” to make them “attractive” before they were sold off, there was no reason why the governments couldn’t have modernised them and kept them under State control, it was an ideological thing. What Mrs Thatcher could have done was put the “right” people in charge and given them clear unequivocal guidance as to what was required and let the, get on with it. With the exception of Japan, the most effective and efficient railway systems in the world are all State owned or majority owned by the State - compare that to our shambles, it’s clear that State run “monopolies” can be effective and efficient! A significant proportion of our electricity comes from EDF - a company largely owned by the French Government. We get most of our imported gas from Norway, guess who owns 2/3rd’s of Statoil who supply the gas?
Our current position sent exactly helped by the fact that our main gas holding facility was shut down a few years ago, I’d have thought something critical to the national infrastructure would have been in government hands - but it seems not. Some of the issues we are facing were flagged a few years ago, but as usual nothing was done.

We all have our political views and I am neither a lefty or a righty, what I believe in is good, honest effective governance and the rule of law, the current shower and a number of their predecessors have come up short and are letting us down. The thing that keeps them in all power is blind allegiance to the cause, however bad that is.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/20/uk-gas-s
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 23:32 - Sep 21 with 637 viewscontroversial_jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 21:14 - Sep 21 by ItchySphincter

It’s a proven concept in successful countries - not only do you need to be in complete control of your power supplies but you also need a good chunk of other countries’ too. Thatcher sold it off for the benefit of the few, and they’ll never suffer. Felixstowe thinks it was about monopolies. I know I’m probably going to get in to trouble for this but he really has got to be the thickest poster ever to have graced these boards. It’s almost painful how stupid he is.

Similar happened in the Soviet Union.The govt issued shares to everyone.The poor sold their shares immediately for short term gains and the Big Oligarchs then ended up owning the majority of shares.

Russia opened up it's oil and gas industries as it was desperate for outside investment as the industries were on their knees. This is what ended the cold war and nothing to do with the arms race or Ronnie Reagan, although that makes for a nice story.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 00:19 - Sep 22 with 623 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 21:14 - Sep 21 by ItchySphincter

He’s as thick as a folded steak sandwich.

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:40 - Sep 22 with 568 viewsCatullus

I accept the part about lower prices but on the other hand, the free market has also been driving wages down.
Truth is it's not really free, is it? All these so called top people CEO's etc, if anybody thinks they don't talk to each other as well as to governments to ensure they get what they want, they're kidding themselves. What they want is the lowest wages they can possibly pay so they can take massive wages and bonuses. They hoard the wealth and whenever the circumstances can be manipulated properly, they make cuts and provide the manipulated evidence to prove it's necessary.
The minimum wages is a scam where firms like Amazon and Google are concerned. The small businesses, they mostly can't afford to pay more but the big comoanies can easily afford to.
Gas prices going up, what happened to cause it, an accident? Prices are spiking because of massive global demand as we open back up, it's more BS.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 13:14 - Sep 22 with 534 viewsBoundy

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:42 - Sep 21 by Brynmill_Jack

I worked for a Nationalised industry and I have to say the amount of waste in terms of overmanning was incredible . We had engineers who did very little other than issue the odd safety document and occasionally carry out a site visit for a chat and cup of tea. Great for local employment but were our bills cheaper I'm not so sure .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 13:57 - Sep 22 with 521 viewsmajorraglan

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 13:14 - Sep 22 by Boundy

I worked for a Nationalised industry and I have to say the amount of waste in terms of overmanning was incredible . We had engineers who did very little other than issue the odd safety document and occasionally carry out a site visit for a chat and cup of tea. Great for local employment but were our bills cheaper I'm not so sure .

That’s a fair point, but it could have completely been different if the management and leadership had been given clear direction to sort it out.

Back to the gas, British Gas have sacked a load of engineers who’ve refused new contracts which offer staff inferior terms and conditions. In some areas British Gas struggle to get engineers to deal with service calls etc and a mate of mine has picked up work normally done by British Gas people. Interesting times ahead!
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:01 - Sep 22 with 516 viewsmajorraglan

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 09:40 - Sep 22 by Catullus

I accept the part about lower prices but on the other hand, the free market has also been driving wages down.
Truth is it's not really free, is it? All these so called top people CEO's etc, if anybody thinks they don't talk to each other as well as to governments to ensure they get what they want, they're kidding themselves. What they want is the lowest wages they can possibly pay so they can take massive wages and bonuses. They hoard the wealth and whenever the circumstances can be manipulated properly, they make cuts and provide the manipulated evidence to prove it's necessary.
The minimum wages is a scam where firms like Amazon and Google are concerned. The small businesses, they mostly can't afford to pay more but the big comoanies can easily afford to.
Gas prices going up, what happened to cause it, an accident? Prices are spiking because of massive global demand as we open back up, it's more BS.

Re your last paragraph, is demand up considerably or is it returning to “normal” levels post pandemic. If it’s the latter, why wasn’t it this high before? I reckon some of the increase is down to the fact we are being taken for a ride and someone, somewhere is making some pretty big money and we are still their mercy.
What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:33 - Sep 22 with 509 viewsBoundy

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 13:57 - Sep 22 by majorraglan

That’s a fair point, but it could have completely been different if the management and leadership had been given clear direction to sort it out.

Back to the gas, British Gas have sacked a load of engineers who’ve refused new contracts which offer staff inferior terms and conditions. In some areas British Gas struggle to get engineers to deal with service calls etc and a mate of mine has picked up work normally done by British Gas people. Interesting times ahead!

I'm all for state ownership having worked both in both sectors but privatization initially did cut the chaff, creating opportunities for the lower skills to move up the ladder never seen before ( I speak from personal experience in that regard ). The sector I worked in was nationalised in 1948 and as my dad said a job for life which it was then but you had a pecking order similar to the class system and if you weren't of that "class" then opportunities weer few and far between and whilst that hierarchy remained then the chances of change in leadership and management were never going to come about. Remember the 3 day week etc , the Unions held sway then, another factor which has come about since the great sell off

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:55 - Sep 22 with 486 viewsCatullus

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 14:01 - Sep 22 by majorraglan

Re your last paragraph, is demand up considerably or is it returning to “normal” levels post pandemic. If it’s the latter, why wasn’t it this high before? I reckon some of the increase is down to the fact we are being taken for a ride and someone, somewhere is making some pretty big money and we are still their mercy.

That's why I said it's more BS. There is no massive spike, nohuge demand beyond a return to normal levels. They're fixing the markets so they can recoup any profits they lost in the last 18-24 months, they have bonuses and pay rises to think of.

Apparently a cold winter in 2021 has depeleted stock levels because of higher demand, well I don't remember it being all that cold, it was hardly Siberian! If there was such high demand why didn't prices rise last winter. We had a very good, long summer last year and this summer has been quite warm, if damp. It's een more BS.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 17:09 - Sep 22 with 471 viewsItchySphincter

What do you think of the increase Gas & power prices? on 15:55 - Sep 22 by Catullus

That's why I said it's more BS. There is no massive spike, nohuge demand beyond a return to normal levels. They're fixing the markets so they can recoup any profits they lost in the last 18-24 months, they have bonuses and pay rises to think of.

Apparently a cold winter in 2021 has depeleted stock levels because of higher demand, well I don't remember it being all that cold, it was hardly Siberian! If there was such high demand why didn't prices rise last winter. We had a very good, long summer last year and this summer has been quite warm, if damp. It's een more BS.

The gas is being diverted to South East Asia where there is huge demand and bigger profits to be made. That’s part of the reason for shortages.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024