By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies and to abide by our Terms and Conditions. We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
We saw the story last week about the migrant care worker who managed to get visas for 15 dependents. The latest tale concerns the Palestinian refugee whom a UK court ruled should be allowed to be reunited with 18 extended family members because of the mental pain of being parted from them. This case was brought under the EHCR 'right to a family life' provision. The pressure cooker is going to go bang soon if this continues.
Extended families and the UK's open border on 13:44 - Jul 26 by JJBomber
Not so sure. Has anybody really changed their mind? Has anybody actually learned anything?
I don’t think anyone has changed their mind, more that it’s now pretty heavily weighted one way since posters with a different take don’t post as much or in some cases, not at all.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 14:14 - Jul 26 with 2005 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 13:59 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
I don’t think anyone has changed their mind, more that it’s now pretty heavily weighted one way since posters with a different take don’t post as much or in some cases, not at all.
Isn't that largely because things haven't turned out as well as the more socially-liberal or 'progressive' posters predicted. The performance of the Labour Government, the issue of growing national debt and ballooning welfare spending, the failure of 'smash the gangs', a whole succession of real life court cases which illustrate the downside of poorly-controlled mass migration, all make it hard to deny that there are big problems. There is so much bad news, and I don't think this can be dismissed as a 'folk panic' created by the media. Most of us can see the world changing for the worst around us, including in the city centre of Swansea. I'm more than 5000 miles away from the UK at present and even here one hears quite a few people saying the UK is on a downward slide.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 14:57 - Jul 26 with 1964 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 14:14 - Jul 26 by AnotherJohn
Isn't that largely because things haven't turned out as well as the more socially-liberal or 'progressive' posters predicted. The performance of the Labour Government, the issue of growing national debt and ballooning welfare spending, the failure of 'smash the gangs', a whole succession of real life court cases which illustrate the downside of poorly-controlled mass migration, all make it hard to deny that there are big problems. There is so much bad news, and I don't think this can be dismissed as a 'folk panic' created by the media. Most of us can see the world changing for the worst around us, including in the city centre of Swansea. I'm more than 5000 miles away from the UK at present and even here one hears quite a few people saying the UK is on a downward slide.
5000 miles Reminds me of a Peter Paul and Mary song I’m Wondering where ! Mid west Thailand ?
Extended families and the UK's open border on 14:14 - Jul 26 by AnotherJohn
Isn't that largely because things haven't turned out as well as the more socially-liberal or 'progressive' posters predicted. The performance of the Labour Government, the issue of growing national debt and ballooning welfare spending, the failure of 'smash the gangs', a whole succession of real life court cases which illustrate the downside of poorly-controlled mass migration, all make it hard to deny that there are big problems. There is so much bad news, and I don't think this can be dismissed as a 'folk panic' created by the media. Most of us can see the world changing for the worst around us, including in the city centre of Swansea. I'm more than 5000 miles away from the UK at present and even here one hears quite a few people saying the UK is on a downward slide.
I don’t think any of the progressive posters have advocated for uncontrolled immigration or dismissed the problems it had brought. What did did pushed against was the notion that immigration is the cause of all our problems and it has become increasingly difficult to talk about anything without immigrants being brought in.
I’m not surprised that 5000 miles away people are looking at us with sympathy - it’s the way we’re being portrayed. Will of course we have big problems, I find the kind of stuff coming in from the states about how dangerous the country is crazy. But people do listen as there are now many here who believe you can’t go to London without being murdered.
That kind of theme has become more and more reflected on here with I reckon the most quoted sources being the Telegraph, the Mail, the express and GB news. The guardian is ridiculed but I can’t remember anyone shared a story from that rag.
This had led to a weird paradox where posters keep saying they get called right wing, while using phrases like looney left or lefty scum etc.
I wonder what the ratio on here is for left/right insults? 1:10? 1:20 possibly? It’s probably a reason why some of those posters I mentioned are missing.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 17:44 - Jul 26 with 1889 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 15:02 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
I don’t think any of the progressive posters have advocated for uncontrolled immigration or dismissed the problems it had brought. What did did pushed against was the notion that immigration is the cause of all our problems and it has become increasingly difficult to talk about anything without immigrants being brought in.
I’m not surprised that 5000 miles away people are looking at us with sympathy - it’s the way we’re being portrayed. Will of course we have big problems, I find the kind of stuff coming in from the states about how dangerous the country is crazy. But people do listen as there are now many here who believe you can’t go to London without being murdered.
That kind of theme has become more and more reflected on here with I reckon the most quoted sources being the Telegraph, the Mail, the express and GB news. The guardian is ridiculed but I can’t remember anyone shared a story from that rag.
This had led to a weird paradox where posters keep saying they get called right wing, while using phrases like looney left or lefty scum etc.
I wonder what the ratio on here is for left/right insults? 1:10? 1:20 possibly? It’s probably a reason why some of those posters I mentioned are missing.
Have you seen the news today from Berlin?
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 18:22 - Jul 26 with 1863 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 15:02 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
I don’t think any of the progressive posters have advocated for uncontrolled immigration or dismissed the problems it had brought. What did did pushed against was the notion that immigration is the cause of all our problems and it has become increasingly difficult to talk about anything without immigrants being brought in.
I’m not surprised that 5000 miles away people are looking at us with sympathy - it’s the way we’re being portrayed. Will of course we have big problems, I find the kind of stuff coming in from the states about how dangerous the country is crazy. But people do listen as there are now many here who believe you can’t go to London without being murdered.
That kind of theme has become more and more reflected on here with I reckon the most quoted sources being the Telegraph, the Mail, the express and GB news. The guardian is ridiculed but I can’t remember anyone shared a story from that rag.
This had led to a weird paradox where posters keep saying they get called right wing, while using phrases like looney left or lefty scum etc.
I wonder what the ratio on here is for left/right insults? 1:10? 1:20 possibly? It’s probably a reason why some of those posters I mentioned are missing.
Well Plaid are openly advocating it The party of Wales my arris They don’t see illegals from Africa as a problem but do the English because they are “ taking over” Welsh communities and will dilute the language assuming migrants with Arabic as mother tongue will learn Welsh Nuts
Extended families and the UK's open border on 19:30 - Jul 26 by onehunglow
Well Plaid are openly advocating it The party of Wales my arris They don’t see illegals from Africa as a problem but do the English because they are “ taking over” Welsh communities and will dilute the language assuming migrants with Arabic as mother tongue will learn Welsh Nuts
Are Plaid advocating for open borders?
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 20:33 - Jul 26 with 1774 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 15:02 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
I don’t think any of the progressive posters have advocated for uncontrolled immigration or dismissed the problems it had brought. What did did pushed against was the notion that immigration is the cause of all our problems and it has become increasingly difficult to talk about anything without immigrants being brought in.
I’m not surprised that 5000 miles away people are looking at us with sympathy - it’s the way we’re being portrayed. Will of course we have big problems, I find the kind of stuff coming in from the states about how dangerous the country is crazy. But people do listen as there are now many here who believe you can’t go to London without being murdered.
That kind of theme has become more and more reflected on here with I reckon the most quoted sources being the Telegraph, the Mail, the express and GB news. The guardian is ridiculed but I can’t remember anyone shared a story from that rag.
This had led to a weird paradox where posters keep saying they get called right wing, while using phrases like looney left or lefty scum etc.
I wonder what the ratio on here is for left/right insults? 1:10? 1:20 possibly? It’s probably a reason why some of those posters I mentioned are missing.
There was a time when I loved the Guardian. Now balanced articles are a rarity, some are completely off the wall, and some news subjects are just not reported... For me, the fact that it does not allow comments on the articles it makes available to MSN says it all. Personally, I do believe that mass immigration (falsely seen as the answer to ageing populations) is the biggest problem facing Europe.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:17 - Jul 26 with 1670 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 21:41 - Jul 26 by AnotherJohn
There was a time when I loved the Guardian. Now balanced articles are a rarity, some are completely off the wall, and some news subjects are just not reported... For me, the fact that it does not allow comments on the articles it makes available to MSN says it all. Personally, I do believe that mass immigration (falsely seen as the answer to ageing populations) is the biggest problem facing Europe.
I quite like Marina Hyde but that’s it. Most is sadly activist rubbish.
I take your point on mass immigration but that’s something we do have the ability to do something about. An important starting point is to separate economic migrants from illegal immigrants and refugees. This is something some seem unable to do.
For me, the biggest problem in the uk today is the cost of housing. Immigration has some bearing on this of course but isn’t the the whole issue.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:55 - Jul 26 with 1648 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 20:38 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
No. They’re not.
In which case you would appear to be living on a rural idyll Rural areas aren’t as attractive to migrants My God, there’s a slow train coming your way Blood on the Tracks I find your standpoint beyond comprehension
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:17 - Jul 26 by Gwyn737
I quite like Marina Hyde but that’s it. Most is sadly activist rubbish.
I take your point on mass immigration but that’s something we do have the ability to do something about. An important starting point is to separate economic migrants from illegal immigrants and refugees. This is something some seem unable to do.
For me, the biggest problem in the uk today is the cost of housing. Immigration has some bearing on this of course but isn’t the the whole issue.
We clearly have to do something about immigration, but I think it's being done. We also have to realise how difficult a problem it is to solve. But we are doing something and making good progress in reducing it, not all of it for good.
The housing problem is often blamed on immigration, it's baseless. There are many issues impacting housing supply, immigration wouldn't make the top 5, my wife has told me every single homeless person in Swansea has been offered a property but either turned it down or been evicted (and getting evicted is really hard).
I watched the air show in Swansea today and spoke to all sides of society, from an Asian birthday party in the Patti, a Muslim steward at a road closure to addicts around the station. Immigrants aren't the problem in Swansea.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 23:02 - Jul 26 with 1651 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:55 - Jul 26 by onehunglow
In which case you would appear to be living on a rural idyll Rural areas aren’t as attractive to migrants My God, there’s a slow train coming your way Blood on the Tracks I find your standpoint beyond comprehension
Suicidal empathy hey! Injuries described as "horrific".
[Post edited 26 Jul 23:03]
Argus!
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 01:42 - Jul 27 with 1600 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:55 - Jul 26 by onehunglow
In which case you would appear to be living on a rural idyll Rural areas aren’t as attractive to migrants My God, there’s a slow train coming your way Blood on the Tracks I find your standpoint beyond comprehension
I’m not sure what’s that’s got to do with Plaid and open borders. Which they demonstrably don’t want.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 07:35 - Jul 27 with 1486 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 22:56 - Jul 26 by Scotia
We clearly have to do something about immigration, but I think it's being done. We also have to realise how difficult a problem it is to solve. But we are doing something and making good progress in reducing it, not all of it for good.
The housing problem is often blamed on immigration, it's baseless. There are many issues impacting housing supply, immigration wouldn't make the top 5, my wife has told me every single homeless person in Swansea has been offered a property but either turned it down or been evicted (and getting evicted is really hard).
I watched the air show in Swansea today and spoke to all sides of society, from an Asian birthday party in the Patti, a Muslim steward at a road closure to addicts around the station. Immigrants aren't the problem in Swansea.
We often hear of a lack of social housing and you yourself mention lack of supply, so having an extra 300,000 people entering the country every year (as an average figure) must surely have a massive effect on housing. They all need somewhere to live. Many of them are low skilled and uneducated and bring/have large families. It’s the equivalent of slapping a city the size of Newcastle on the map every year but we aren’t building houses, hospitals, schools etc anywhere near quick enough to keep up.
The notion that the claims of the effects of mass immigration on the housing situation is “baseless” does not hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. Having hundreds of thousands of adults needing housing entering the country every year must certainly have a massive impact.
Extended families and the UK's open border on 07:35 - Jul 27 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth
We often hear of a lack of social housing and you yourself mention lack of supply, so having an extra 300,000 people entering the country every year (as an average figure) must surely have a massive effect on housing. They all need somewhere to live. Many of them are low skilled and uneducated and bring/have large families. It’s the equivalent of slapping a city the size of Newcastle on the map every year but we aren’t building houses, hospitals, schools etc anywhere near quick enough to keep up.
The notion that the claims of the effects of mass immigration on the housing situation is “baseless” does not hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny. Having hundreds of thousands of adults needing housing entering the country every year must certainly have a massive impact.
But the population of Wales is only increasing by about 0.5% a year, potentially even less than that now.
There is a lack of supply but a lot of that is down to second homes, holiday lets, vacant properties and developers banking land. There should be a massive development being built right now between Llangyfelach and Penllegaer, I think about 1500 homes should already have been completed. The developer has broken ground to secure long term planning and hasn't laid a brick, they're waiting for the economy to improve, 30% of that is social housing.
Immigrants generally live where others don't want to. It's partly where the replacement conspiracy theories come from. If you wanted a flat in Dyfatty with junkies and sex offenders as neighbours you could have one straight away, immigrants don't turn them down, Brits do.
0
Extended families and the UK's open border on 08:28 - Jul 27 with 1454 views
Extended families and the UK's open border on 08:11 - Jul 27 by Scotia
But the population of Wales is only increasing by about 0.5% a year, potentially even less than that now.
There is a lack of supply but a lot of that is down to second homes, holiday lets, vacant properties and developers banking land. There should be a massive development being built right now between Llangyfelach and Penllegaer, I think about 1500 homes should already have been completed. The developer has broken ground to secure long term planning and hasn't laid a brick, they're waiting for the economy to improve, 30% of that is social housing.
Immigrants generally live where others don't want to. It's partly where the replacement conspiracy theories come from. If you wanted a flat in Dyfatty with junkies and sex offenders as neighbours you could have one straight away, immigrants don't turn them down, Brits do.
The bulk of immigrants go to live in places like London which is notoriously expensive to live in. I’m on decent money but could never afford a place there. Some crappy little box room apartments are going for nearly a million these days. £2.5k a month rent is also beyond most people. Yet whole areas of London has seen massive immigration from people who have no real income, no qualifications or education and have no wealth when they arrive. Young people in this country cannot get on the property ladder at all. How is this even remotely a good situation?