Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any chess players on here 09:33 - May 24 with 3339 viewsthornabyswan

Recently started playing chess again just on line to pass the time during lockdown.

Can anybody recommend any good free apps please.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 9:34]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Any chess players on here on 09:40 - May 24 with 2752 viewsDarran

I can play chess to an average level.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Any chess players on here on 09:40 - May 24 with 2752 viewsHighjack

Chess.com is all you’ll need. Play online, offline, solve puzzles and there are a lot of people on there who will analyse your games for free.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Any chess players on here on 09:41 - May 24 with 2752 viewsCatullus

Get a family member involved. I tried using apps but they all seemed to go from easy to beat to impossible to beat with nothing in between.

I tried teaching my son but he prefers fotnite

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Any chess players on here on 10:00 - May 24 with 2735 viewsJackinexile1

Me and my mate use the app Chess by Post
Any chess players on here on 10:42 - May 24 with 2705 viewsthornabyswan

Any chess players on here on 09:41 - May 24 by Catullus

Get a family member involved. I tried using apps but they all seemed to go from easy to beat to impossible to beat with nothing in between.

Haven't played for years since I moved up North.

But surprising how quick you get back into it but the app I tried went from easy to really difficult fairly quickly with not much in between.

When I get back to work I think I will try and get a couple of mates to play.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 10:44]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Any chess players on here on 11:04 - May 24 with 2685 viewsGlyn1

Any chess players on here on 09:40 - May 24 by Highjack

Chess.com is all you’ll need. Play online, offline, solve puzzles and there are a lot of people on there who will analyse your games for free.

Yes, I completely agree. Go to www.chess.com.

They also have various clubs and there may be one for Wales.

The beauty of chess.com is that after you've played a dozen or so games, the computer has worked out how strong you are, and matches you with players at your own level, so you'll win as often as you lose.

The computer will analyse your games for you if you want and all of this is free.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 11:11]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Any chess players on here on 11:23 - May 24 with 2671 viewsthornabyswan

Any chess players on here on 09:41 - May 24 by Catullus

I did try showing my Mrs how to play had one move each then she went on the phone to her sister for 3 hours

Any chess players on here on 11:44 - May 24 with 2659 viewsHighjack

Any chess players on here on 11:04 - May 24 by Glyn1

The beauty of chess.com is that after you've played a dozen or so games, the computer has worked out how strong you are, and matches you with players at your own level, so you'll win as often as you lose.

The computer will analyse your games for you if you want and all of this is free.

The problem playing online is there’s loads of cheaters. I generally only play offline.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Login to get fewer ads

Any chess players on here on 11:55 - May 24 with 2651 viewsJackinexile1

Any chess players on here on 11:04 - May 24 by Glyn1

Why would you only play chess against people from Wales?
Any chess players on here on 12:00 - May 24 with 2646 viewsHighjack

I tried playing chess with Owen Jones once but when I pointed out white goes first he threw the board away and stormed out.

Any chess players on here on 12:07 - May 24 with 2637 viewsthornabyswan

Any chess players on here on 12:00 - May 24 by Highjack

I tried playing chess with Owen Jones once but when I pointed out white goes first he threw the board away and stormed out.

A planet swans chess competition now theres a thought.

Better yhan that POTY nonsense which is a bigger fix than 1970s wrestling.

Edit Not that I am bitter or anything.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 12:11]

Any chess players on here on 12:33 - May 24 with 2608 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Lichess forum is also quite good with many competitions, friendly games, puzzles and analysis etc.
Some of the puzles are poor however.
I play the Manager of Killay Library on there, they played every Saturday morning in the library prior to the lockdown.
Any chess players on here on 06:07 - May 25 with 2484 viewsjackal

I use Play Chess Online.

I play 4/5 games a day against the computer . 1 to 10 levels of difficulty. I'm on level 4 which is just about my level.
Any chess players on here on 08:09 - May 25 with 2456 viewsNotLoyal

Any chess players on here on 10:00 - May 24 by Jackinexile1

Me and my mate use the app Chess by Post

You've got a friend? 🤔

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Any chess players on here on 08:34 - May 25 with 2452 viewsepaul

Not got time for chess but would love to show the missus how to play cribb/cribbage but doubt I'd have the patience to show her. Have played Euchre online quite often

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Any chess players on here on 15:06 - May 25 with 2398 viewsKingstonJack

I used PlayChess.com for years which was excellent but Microsoft, mainly.
Now all our stuff is apple I use Chess.com or chess24. Free for basic use.
Play a few mates and family, varying from 3 days/move to 1 minute bullet games
I watched the Magnus Carlson Invitational recently on chess24 with commentary which put something in the day for 2 weeks of the lockdown if the weather was crap.
Any chess players on here on 15:09 - May 25 with 2394 viewsJack_Kass

Been having a crack on the Chess.com app the last few days.

Holding my own at Level 5, but getting a kicking towards the latter stages.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Any chess players on here on 15:31 - May 25 with 2387 viewsGlyn1

Any chess players on here on 11:55 - May 24 by Jackinexile1

Why would you only play chess against people from Wales?

No you wouldn't do that.

But joining a club means that you can play for them in friendly matches against other clubs.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Any chess players on here on 17:45 - May 25 with 2357 viewssquarebear

I'm currently on chess.com getting my ass handed to me by Master Bear.

I struggle with the fragmentation of games on the Internet. If my opponent doesn't make a move for ten hours / two days I've forgotten any strategy I had in place.

Edit: it ended in a draw. I was in a slight jam, tried a series of moves, we ended in the same place, I repeated my moveS and chess.com simply ended the game - drawn. A bit frustrating.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 18:44]
Any chess players on here on 19:34 - May 25 with 2332 viewsJack_Kass

Any chess players on here on 15:09 - May 25 by Jack_Kass

Been having a crack on the Chess.com app the last few days.

Holding my own at Level 5, but getting a kicking towards the latter stages.

Went on a run and hit Level 10, anything beyond here is a bonus.

Any chess players on here on 21:01 - May 25 with 2312 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Any chess players on here on 19:34 - May 25 by Jack_Kass

Went on a run and hit Level 10, anything beyond here is a bonus.

How many levels are there?
Any chess players on here on 21:20 - May 25 with 2309 viewsJack_Kass

Any chess players on here on 21:01 - May 25 by A_Fans_Dad

How many levels are there?

20!

Any chess players on here on 21:38 - May 25 with 2298 viewsalltjack

Any chess players on here on 08:34 - May 25 by epaul

Not got time for chess but would love to show the missus how to play cribb/cribbage but doubt I'd have the patience to show her. Have played Euchre online quite often

Euchre. What a great game. 20 years ago in Alltwen Rugby Club you would have at least 5 tables playing most nights and a knock on every table. Now you don't see a pack of cards
Any chess players on here on 06:59 - May 26 with 2235 viewsepaul

Any chess players on here on 21:38 - May 25 by alltjack

Euchre. What a great game. 20 years ago in Alltwen Rugby Club you would have at least 5 tables playing most nights and a knock on every table. Now you don't see a pack of cards

Best card game I've ever played, only ever seen it played in south Wales and in the RN, the simplicity of it is wonderful yet it can be a tad complicated, when to attack when to hold back. The slightest of pauses would give your hand away.

Back in the 80's playing it in my local always with my old man as my partner if you lost you put a "knock" on the table but rarely got back on as so many "knocks" were on as so many wanted to play.

Use to enjoy 5's and 3's on the dominoes too

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Any chess players on here on 07:12 - May 26 with 2227 viewsalltjack

Any chess players on here on 06:59 - May 26 by epaul

Best card game I've ever played, only ever seen it played in south Wales and in the RN, the simplicity of it is wonderful yet it can be a tad complicated, when to attack when to hold back. The slightest of pauses would give your hand away.

Back in the 80's playing it in my local always with my old man as my partner if you lost you put a "knock" on the table but rarely got back on as so many "knocks" were on as so many wanted to play.

Use to enjoy 5's and 3's on the dominoes too

Went on Tour in 1988 to Torquay in the days when pubs shut for 2 hours in the afternoon. The only place we could get a drink was in Torquay Legion. Nearly every table was playing Euchre. Slightly different rules though
Not that I ever watched it, but the wife did and I overheard Madge in Neighbours going to meet her friends to play Euchre
Both came as a bit of a shock because like you I thought it was only played in South Wales
[Post edited 26 May 2020 8:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024