Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New arena in Swansea 18:33 - Nov 20 with 2648 viewsDarran

So Swansea Council have shut down businesses,closed car parks and cleared the land and the council haven’t even voted for the funding yet.
Anyone care to explain? 😂😂😂😂😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

New arena in Swansea on 18:51 - Nov 20 with 2089 viewsLeonWasGod

From a WOL article: “The council estimates that the city centre is losing out on nearly £160m a year because people prefer shopping and days out in the likes of Cardiff and Llanelli's Parc Trostre.”

Maybe they should be building a decent shopping centre instead then?
New arena in Swansea on 20:42 - Nov 20 with 1973 viewsmajorraglan

New arena in Swansea on 18:51 - Nov 20 by LeonWasGod

From a WOL article: “The council estimates that the city centre is losing out on nearly £160m a year because people prefer shopping and days out in the likes of Cardiff and Llanelli's Parc Trostre.”

Seen Llanelli town centre recently, it’s well on the slide. Trostre is killing it off.
New arena in Swansea on 20:55 - Nov 20 with 1939 viewsjack2jack

Where's that come from Dar?
New arena in Swansea on 21:05 - Nov 20 with 1904 viewsDr_Winston

New arena in Swansea on 18:51 - Nov 20 by LeonWasGod

Swansea council has spent the best part of 30 years (perhaps longer) making it harder and harder to take a car into town whilst simultaneously encouraging out of town shopping, yet still the total f*cking morons wonder why the city centre is dying.

There are perhaps some signs that finally they've worked it out with the intention of turning the Kingsway into a business rather than retail area, but the damage is mostly done, and eCommerce isn't helping.

Might as well go the whole hog now and turn the city centre into a premier leisure and recreation destination rather than develop more retail outlets that will probably all be empty in fifteen years. Just look at the number of vacant units already in Parc Tawe.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New arena in Swansea on 21:22 - Nov 20 with 1861 viewslonglostjack

New arena in Swansea on 21:05 - Nov 20 by Dr_Winston

Swansea council has spent the best part of 30 years (perhaps longer) making it harder and harder to take a car into town whilst simultaneously encouraging out of town shopping, yet still the total f*cking morons wonder why the city centre is dying.

There are perhaps some signs that finally they've worked it out with the intention of turning the Kingsway into a business rather than retail area, but the damage is mostly done, and eCommerce isn't helping.

Might as well go the whole hog now and turn the city centre into a premier leisure and recreation destination rather than develop more retail outlets that will probably all be empty in fifteen years. Just look at the number of vacant units already in Parc Tawe.

Flats, restaurants, street food and outside eating, events etc are the future for town centres. Transport will look quite different in 20 years time. Private cars will be irrelevant. You’ll pay to use a form of transport with or without advertising and extras.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 21:24]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

New arena in Swansea on 21:27 - Nov 20 with 1842 viewsbuilthjack

New arena in Swansea on 21:22 - Nov 20 by longlostjack

Flats, restaurants, street food and outside eating, events etc are the future for town centres. Transport will look quite different in 20 years time. Private cars will be irrelevant. You’ll pay to use a form of transport with or without advertising and extras.

How do we get to a match up north on a Tuesday night?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

New arena in Swansea on 21:30 - Nov 20 with 1838 viewsWxmJax

Easy explanation, don't start a sentence with so. You're not farking American.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

New arena in Swansea on 21:32 - Nov 20 with 1832 viewsDarran

New arena in Swansea on 21:30 - Nov 20 by WxmJax

Easy explanation, don't start a sentence with so. You're not farking American.

Fuçk up.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

New arena in Swansea on 21:35 - Nov 20 with 1811 viewsDr_Winston

New arena in Swansea on 21:22 - Nov 20 by longlostjack

Agreed. Crazily enough Swansea might end up ahead of the curve by accident.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New arena in Swansea on 21:39 - Nov 20 with 1797 viewsWxmJax

New arena in Swansea on 21:35 - Nov 20 by Dr_Winston

Agreed. Crazily enough Swansea might end up ahead of the curve by accident.

Nah, I don't think so.

(It's ok to finish a sentence with so, btw).

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

New arena in Swansea on 21:40 - Nov 20 with 1793 viewslonglostjack

New arena in Swansea on 21:27 - Nov 20 by builthjack

How do we get to a match up north on a Tuesday night?

You’ll be sharing a self driving car, drinking with fellow Jacks. You’ll have booked it from a local station and after the game it’ll be there to pick you up.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

New arena in Swansea on 00:30 - Nov 21 with 1616 viewsjack_lord

I drove down the Kingsway last night and thought to myself that they had finally got it right. I have already said that things are improving up High Street and the massive influx of students is going to change how this city is identified and how it operates.

How transport in the near future changes may hold a key but I believe that, as a city, our stunning location and the increase in student population will reap benefits.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

New arena in Swansea on 04:14 - Nov 21 with 1569 viewsSTID2017

New arena in Swansea on 21:40 - Nov 20 by longlostjack

You’ll be sharing a self driving car, drinking with fellow Jacks. You’ll have booked it from a local station and after the game it’ll be there to pick you up.

I wish I could have one of those for Tuesday. Not looking forward to the long drive home.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

New arena in Swansea on 07:14 - Nov 21 with 1505 viewsSWANSEYE

Totally agree . . Encourage out of town shopping and give those moving onto the Shopping parks reduced rates to entice them there and then gradually introduce more and more Financial Institutions like Banks and Building Societies into the City Centre and then also make it difficult for drivers to come into the Centre. They may argue that they offer Park and Ride facilities but now even these are in total disarray. What Swansea needs is SHOPS it's as simple as that as where there are Shops there will be Shoppers even though online sales are now taking over people still like to shop. Look at Cardiff they are getting in all and have it all with a good infrastructure. Probably as usual they have received a lot more funding but they do appear to have a more progressive Council that the shambles purporting to represent the people who elected them into power but they simply are not working for the good of the City . . Bring as Shops and Swansea will come alive so wake up and smell the coffee.
New arena in Swansea on 09:53 - Nov 21 with 1400 viewscontroversial_jack

New arena in Swansea on 00:30 - Nov 21 by jack_lord

I drove down the Kingsway last night and thought to myself that they had finally got it right. I have already said that things are improving up High Street and the massive influx of students is going to change how this city is identified and how it operates.

How transport in the near future changes may hold a key but I believe that, as a city, our stunning location and the increase in student population will reap benefits.

Specsavers is open from 9 am.
New arena in Swansea on 10:01 - Nov 21 with 1382 viewsLeonWasGod

This. And it's been replicated in the vast majority of towns and cities, except those that have invested in very large central shopping centres (e.g. Cardiff).
New arena in Swansea on 10:01 - Nov 21 with 1380 viewsLeonWasGod

New arena in Swansea on 20:42 - Nov 20 by majorraglan

Seen Llanelli town centre recently, it’s well on the slide. Trostre is killing it off.

Yep, was at the theatre not that long ago and the place seemed like a ghost town.
New arena in Swansea on 10:11 - Nov 21 with 1374 viewsDr_Winston

New arena in Swansea on 10:01 - Nov 21 by LeonWasGod

This. And it's been replicated in the vast majority of towns and cities, except those that have invested in very large central shopping centres (e.g. Cardiff).

Even they are just storing up trouble for the future. Yes, people will still want to shop to a certain extent, but the sheer square footage some places have will be way in excess of what is needed in some places.

You can see the beginnings of it in the US where these trends often start. Plenty of empty and/or derelict shopping malls there.

New arena in Swansea on 10:22 - Nov 21 with 1364 viewsLeonWasGod

New arena in Swansea on 00:30 - Nov 21 by jack_lord

I went down there for the first time in ages last week - I thought the works on the other side of the carriageway were for widening the road and putting another couple of lanes in - but it looks like it's just for grass. They've put a bottle neck in - one of the widest avenues in the city and they've crammed in a too-narrow road. It's very bizarre given how clogged that can get with traffic already.
New arena in Swansea on 10:33 - Nov 21 with 1342 viewsCatullus

It can't be a good idea because it makes perfect sense to me! Leave the shopping out of town and make the centre all about having fun, maybe have it split up into zones, one zone like Wind street for the drunks and one for families and provide good, cheap public transport links. We just need the money.

On the OP, it's not like Swansea council to get things back to front or make a mess of things! What can possibly go wrong?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

New arena in Swansea on 11:56 - Nov 21 with 1276 viewsJackSomething

New arena in Swansea on 07:14 - Nov 21 by SWANSEYE

Totally agree . . Encourage out of town shopping and give those moving onto the Shopping parks reduced rates to entice them there and then gradually introduce more and more Financial Institutions like Banks and Building Societies into the City Centre and then also make it difficult for drivers to come into the Centre. They may argue that they offer Park and Ride facilities but now even these are in total disarray. What Swansea needs is SHOPS it's as simple as that as where there are Shops there will be Shoppers even though online sales are now taking over people still like to shop. Look at Cardiff they are getting in all and have it all with a good infrastructure. Probably as usual they have received a lot more funding but they do appear to have a more progressive Council that the shambles purporting to represent the people who elected them into power but they simply are not working for the good of the City . . Bring as Shops and Swansea will come alive so wake up and smell the coffee.

Massive oversimplification. Swansea council could pour money into the city centre to attract retail and it'll make little difference. We simply don't have the population or wealth to attract enough retailers to the city centre. Not to mention the obvious changes to retail, ie the growth of out-of-town retail parks and online shopping. Trying to copy Cardiff is the worst thing we could do.

TK Maxx opened in the city centre years back, quickly realised their mistake, shut up shop and moved to Morfa, where they remain (although even there they've moved to a smaller unit). I know for a fact the council bent over backwards a few years back to get Waitrose to open here, offering them a fantastic financial deal. No dice. Waitrose did their research on the area and decided it wouldn't work.

The Doc is right. Although the council have probably lucked/bumbled into it, the pivot towards making the City Centre about things other than retail may be the best chance we have of improving it. I see the council are now making noises about moving all services into the city centre in the next few years, adding to the amount of people who will be working there.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

New arena in Swansea on 12:21 - Nov 21 with 1239 viewsA_Fans_Dad

New arena in Swansea on 21:40 - Nov 20 by longlostjack

Yes and it turns up with the seats covered in puke from the previous drunk/drugged occupants. Used Condoms, used Needles etc.
Lovely.
New arena in Swansea on 13:45 - Nov 21 with 1179 viewsraynor94

£114 million of funding approved by the Council this morning.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

New arena in Swansea on 17:10 - Nov 21 with 1061 viewsjackharris

New arena in Swansea on 13:45 - Nov 21 by raynor94

£114 million of funding approved by the Council this morning.

Excellent news. The city would be dead if it wasn’t for Swansea University. Turning our City into a great university facility has saved us for now. The building work has been of huge proportions, with the new 14 story block on the Kingaway...

The new Student block by the railway station...

The new block opposite Sainsbury’s...

Oldway Centre...

The whole brand new Bay Campus...

New Cut Road...

The new 3,500 seater venue will be great for us and our cities student population.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 1:07]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

New arena in Swansea on 11:02 - Nov 22 with 894 viewsjack_lord

New arena in Swansea on 11:56 - Nov 21 by JackSomething

Massive oversimplification. Swansea council could pour money into the city centre to attract retail and it'll make little difference. We simply don't have the population or wealth to attract enough retailers to the city centre. Not to mention the obvious changes to retail, ie the growth of out-of-town retail parks and online shopping. Trying to copy Cardiff is the worst thing we could do.

TK Maxx opened in the city centre years back, quickly realised their mistake, shut up shop and moved to Morfa, where they remain (although even there they've moved to a smaller unit). I know for a fact the council bent over backwards a few years back to get Waitrose to open here, offering them a fantastic financial deal. No dice. Waitrose did their research on the area and decided it wouldn't work.

The Doc is right. Although the council have probably lucked/bumbled into it, the pivot towards making the City Centre about things other than retail may be the best chance we have of improving it. I see the council are now making noises about moving all services into the city centre in the next few years, adding to the amount of people who will be working there.

Quick point on TKMaxx and what actually happened with the Oxford Street site. The company opened a second store on Swansea in the Morfa and didn't move to Morfa. They wanted to keep the two stores originally. This had more to do with the lease on the Oxford street site and because the company had a great big store in Morfa they decided to get rid of the store. They regret moving to the smaller site in Morfa and are looking for another site, possibly in the city centre.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024