By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies and to abide by our Terms and Conditions. We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Too many matches, too many poor teams. Group stages just to drop a couple of teams was ridiculous. Hydration breaks when not needed were pointless and just advertising breaks as we all know. Letting the president of the USA dictate policy is just wrong on so many levels. The corrupt officials clearly wanted one team to win it, they didn't. The half time fiasco in the final football can do without. FIFA bent over and sold its soul to the USA I hope it never happens again, but I doubt it.
The best team won it.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 09:47 - Jul 20 with 4710 views
More than a few entertaining games, plenty of engaging stories throughout, foreign fans seem to have enjoyed themselves in the US and have behaved well, although the threat of spending some time in American jails might have focused the minds.
The bad: Infantino has clearly bent over too much to accommodate American sensibilities, which as the 1994 World Cup demonstrated just wasn't necessary. We didn't need "hydration breaks", half time shows, or half the razzmatazz.
I'm not hugely fond of the concept of shared tournaments either. Within the borders of one country please.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 10:17 - Jul 20 with 4650 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 09:33 - Jul 20 by Whiterockin
Too many matches, too many poor teams. Group stages just to drop a couple of teams was ridiculous. Hydration breaks when not needed were pointless and just advertising breaks as we all know. Letting the president of the USA dictate policy is just wrong on so many levels. The corrupt officials clearly wanted one team to win it, they didn't. The half time fiasco in the final football can do without. FIFA bent over and sold its soul to the USA I hope it never happens again, but I doubt it.
The best team won it.
I would suggest the referee last night was hand picked to ensure Argentina won For me, quite sinister really and rather bizarre There is something in the DNA of Argentinians Spain play the game the right way and good on them England did well but are inconsistent France really rather brilliant but odd
It’s been a decent filling before the domestic season , which is more relevant
Prem Crowds are going to give argie players a lot of stick Villa’s keeper is going to get it big time
Your World Cup Verdict on 10:17 - Jul 20 by onehunglow
I would suggest the referee last night was hand picked to ensure Argentina won For me, quite sinister really and rather bizarre There is something in the DNA of Argentinians Spain play the game the right way and good on them England did well but are inconsistent France really rather brilliant but odd
It’s been a decent filling before the domestic season , which is more relevant
Prem Crowds are going to give argie players a lot of stick Villa’s keeper is going to get it big time
[Post edited 20 Jul 10:19]
Martinez is trying to get a transfer from Villa to Juve.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 12:24 - Jul 20 with 4517 views
Some good games but that’s always going to be the case. Good to see more parity between traditional poor countries and better ones. Case Verde for example.
BUT, you can’t get away from the spectacle it became. FIFA have disgraced themselves with ‘Johnny’ making himself look like a true clown. The reversal of Balogun’s red card was corrupt in the way it happened and the treatment of Argentina could only mean there was an agenda to get them to the final at the very least. Infantino should be sacked.
The hydration breaks were not for that reason but for TV adverts so the game was interrupted unnaturally. These breaks are necessary at times but should be invoked only at a minimum temperature.
And the half time ‘spectacle’ is not something that should be seen at a WC final. It’s far too classy an occasion for such tripe. Again, it disturbs the players as well as the real fans.
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:00 - Jul 20 by union_jack
Some good games but that’s always going to be the case. Good to see more parity between traditional poor countries and better ones. Case Verde for example.
BUT, you can’t get away from the spectacle it became. FIFA have disgraced themselves with ‘Johnny’ making himself look like a true clown. The reversal of Balogun’s red card was corrupt in the way it happened and the treatment of Argentina could only mean there was an agenda to get them to the final at the very least. Infantino should be sacked.
The hydration breaks were not for that reason but for TV adverts so the game was interrupted unnaturally. These breaks are necessary at times but should be invoked only at a minimum temperature.
And the half time ‘spectacle’ is not something that should be seen at a WC final. It’s far too classy an occasion for such tripe. Again, it disturbs the players as well as the real fans.
Therefore, poor overall.
Add to that the bent refereeing. FIFA have completely compromised it with their favouritism of Argentina. It was the same at the last WC.
But then I would like to see EUFA ditch FIFA and start again with a better set up. One that wouldn't see the corrupt Blatter or Infantino elected.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 18:09 - Jul 20 with 4274 views
I enjoyed overall, though I was nowhere near as engaged as in past tournaments. Thought the refereeing was excellent with a few noticeable obvious exceptions. Didn't like some third place teams qualifying, if they go with 64 next time, that will solve that issue. Didn't like it that the head to head results counted more than GD. The fans were excellent and something to celebrate, even Ingerland didn't kick off. Should there be a tier 2 world cup, rather than an expansion of the current format. I really don't like Arge, Infantino or his stupid white trainers. Never liked Rooney but he did amuse me when asked what was the best part of the halftime entertainment and replied the end, it was crap or words to that effect
Your World Cup Verdict on 18:09 - Jul 20 by Treforys_Jack
I enjoyed overall, though I was nowhere near as engaged as in past tournaments. Thought the refereeing was excellent with a few noticeable obvious exceptions. Didn't like some third place teams qualifying, if they go with 64 next time, that will solve that issue. Didn't like it that the head to head results counted more than GD. The fans were excellent and something to celebrate, even Ingerland didn't kick off. Should there be a tier 2 world cup, rather than an expansion of the current format. I really don't like Arge, Infantino or his stupid white trainers. Never liked Rooney but he did amuse me when asked what was the best part of the halftime entertainment and replied the end, it was crap or words to that effect
I thought Tooney was very good in the studio. Made some very good points, which you’d expect.
However, Micah bloody Richards can stay away for as long as he likes. Irritates me.
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:00 - Jul 20 by union_jack
Some good games but that’s always going to be the case. Good to see more parity between traditional poor countries and better ones. Case Verde for example.
BUT, you can’t get away from the spectacle it became. FIFA have disgraced themselves with ‘Johnny’ making himself look like a true clown. The reversal of Balogun’s red card was corrupt in the way it happened and the treatment of Argentina could only mean there was an agenda to get them to the final at the very least. Infantino should be sacked.
The hydration breaks were not for that reason but for TV adverts so the game was interrupted unnaturally. These breaks are necessary at times but should be invoked only at a minimum temperature.
And the half time ‘spectacle’ is not something that should be seen at a WC final. It’s far too classy an occasion for such tripe. Again, it disturbs the players as well as the real fans.
Therefore, poor overall.
I'd add that the 'normalisation' of a thousand dollars for a World Cup match is another step towards top class sport being for the well off.
The World cup should not have been held in the USA they are a rogue pariah state, they stopped a top ref from taking part in the World Cup due to his nationality, they would not allow one of the participating teams to stay in the country more than a few hours, not allowing them to train or even practice with the world cup football, they influenced FIFA into over turning a ban on one of their players, they turned the game into 'quarters' and they had an extended halftime break during the final.
Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Your World Cup Verdict on 22:44 - Jul 20 by trampie
The World cup should not have been held in the USA they are a rogue pariah state, they stopped a top ref from taking part in the World Cup due to his nationality, they would not allow one of the participating teams to stay in the country more than a few hours, not allowing them to train or even practice with the world cup football, they influenced FIFA into over turning a ban on one of their players, they turned the game into 'quarters' and they had an extended halftime break during the final.
Hallelujah, we agree on something. Probably not going to last though😁
My wife and I enjoyed this year's WC. We watched a lot of games together. We especially enjoyed the thrilling Cape Verde v. Arg ET game as well as the 3rd place game, Eng v. Fra.
We Americans sincerely thank every fan who attended (and spent lots of $ at) the many games played here in the US. Our local merchants really thank you! BTW, our US jails are much better and safer than the 3 countries' jails hosting the next WC!
As for Trump's intervention into the red card fiasco, the real issue was and is the use of VAR. Balogun's foul on the Bosnian's player was initially deemed as not being a cardable offence. As such, by FIFA's VAR rules, the play was not reviewable in slow-motion or frame-by-frame as they did in this instance. I would agree that President Trump should not have intervened, but I don't fault him if all he did was point out the incorrect use of VAR to Infantino. If anyone has evidence that Trump put pressure on Infantino, then please share. Again, the real problem was how the VAR officials used their technology incorrectly in this instance.
I had no problem with the hydration breaks. Gives me an opportunity to grab a beer from the fridge or go to the bathroom. The halftime show was well-performed but I agree that it was about 5 minutes longer than it needed to be. I expect FIFA will continue with both at future World Cups to generate additional revenues.
Finally, my only real complaints were the ticket prices, and I agree wholeheartedly with JACKMAN's complaint.
1
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:27 - Jul 21 with 3718 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:07 - Jul 21 by ncswan
My wife and I enjoyed this year's WC. We watched a lot of games together. We especially enjoyed the thrilling Cape Verde v. Arg ET game as well as the 3rd place game, Eng v. Fra.
We Americans sincerely thank every fan who attended (and spent lots of $ at) the many games played here in the US. Our local merchants really thank you! BTW, our US jails are much better and safer than the 3 countries' jails hosting the next WC!
As for Trump's intervention into the red card fiasco, the real issue was and is the use of VAR. Balogun's foul on the Bosnian's player was initially deemed as not being a cardable offence. As such, by FIFA's VAR rules, the play was not reviewable in slow-motion or frame-by-frame as they did in this instance. I would agree that President Trump should not have intervened, but I don't fault him if all he did was point out the incorrect use of VAR to Infantino. If anyone has evidence that Trump put pressure on Infantino, then please share. Again, the real problem was how the VAR officials used their technology incorrectly in this instance.
I had no problem with the hydration breaks. Gives me an opportunity to grab a beer from the fridge or go to the bathroom. The halftime show was well-performed but I agree that it was about 5 minutes longer than it needed to be. I expect FIFA will continue with both at future World Cups to generate additional revenues.
Finally, my only real complaints were the ticket prices, and I agree wholeheartedly with JACKMAN's complaint.
It doesn’t need anymore evidence. The most powerful man in the world made a phone call and the decision changed. It’s embarrassing.
Bryson DeChambeau reportedly wanted Trump to intervene against the 2 shot penalty he received at the British Open last Friday. Fortunately the R and A still have morals.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:36 - Jul 21 with 3706 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:07 - Jul 21 by ncswan
My wife and I enjoyed this year's WC. We watched a lot of games together. We especially enjoyed the thrilling Cape Verde v. Arg ET game as well as the 3rd place game, Eng v. Fra.
We Americans sincerely thank every fan who attended (and spent lots of $ at) the many games played here in the US. Our local merchants really thank you! BTW, our US jails are much better and safer than the 3 countries' jails hosting the next WC!
As for Trump's intervention into the red card fiasco, the real issue was and is the use of VAR. Balogun's foul on the Bosnian's player was initially deemed as not being a cardable offence. As such, by FIFA's VAR rules, the play was not reviewable in slow-motion or frame-by-frame as they did in this instance. I would agree that President Trump should not have intervened, but I don't fault him if all he did was point out the incorrect use of VAR to Infantino. If anyone has evidence that Trump put pressure on Infantino, then please share. Again, the real problem was how the VAR officials used their technology incorrectly in this instance.
I had no problem with the hydration breaks. Gives me an opportunity to grab a beer from the fridge or go to the bathroom. The halftime show was well-performed but I agree that it was about 5 minutes longer than it needed to be. I expect FIFA will continue with both at future World Cups to generate additional revenues.
Finally, my only real complaints were the ticket prices, and I agree wholeheartedly with JACKMAN's complaint.
Sorry Trumps intervention was totally embarrassing even Balogun admitted that no wonder uefa and the head of the Spanish FA are calling for Infantino to go
You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Your World Cup Verdict on 17:36 - Jul 21 by raynor94
Sorry Trumps intervention was totally embarrassing even Balogun admitted that no wonder uefa and the head of the Spanish FA are calling for Infantino to go
My point is that VAR was used incorrectly and the red card or even a yellow card should not have been issued since the initial call was no card. VAR review shouldn't have taken place and shouldn't have been shown to the on-field ref in slo-mo or frame-by-frame. Huge mistake by VAR refs, and therefore, Infantino/FIFA were correct in removing the red card after his committee's review.
I also said that I didn't agree with Trump's intervention if that intervention included pressure on Infantino. But I don't fault him for publicly questioning the validity of the red card. He has a right to his opinion just like the rest of us.
Trump stated that he felt compelled to contact Infantino directly to complain about the refereeing decision: "I said, 'I'd like to wage a complaint.' And actually, I had no idea what was going to happen."
One thing I've noticed about President Trump is that he likes to put forth his ideas and opinions just in case the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" has been overlooked. I like to refer it as "throwing spit balls onto the ceiling to see if any will stick." People who deride him, especially the media, tend to overlook this trait and try to sensationalize his sometimes "outlandish" comments.
Bryson DeChambeau's penalty ruled by the R&A was the correct call. That was pure bluster by BDC. Trump didn't intervene, did he? Did he even try to intervene on BDC's behalf? If he did, then I didn't see that report. According to the Guardian, "the President himself has remained silent on the incident."
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 19:58 - Jul 21 with 3632 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 19:28 - Jul 21 by ncswan
My point is that VAR was used incorrectly and the red card or even a yellow card should not have been issued since the initial call was no card. VAR review shouldn't have taken place and shouldn't have been shown to the on-field ref in slo-mo or frame-by-frame. Huge mistake by VAR refs, and therefore, Infantino/FIFA were correct in removing the red card after his committee's review.
I also said that I didn't agree with Trump's intervention if that intervention included pressure on Infantino. But I don't fault him for publicly questioning the validity of the red card. He has a right to his opinion just like the rest of us.
Trump stated that he felt compelled to contact Infantino directly to complain about the refereeing decision: "I said, 'I'd like to wage a complaint.' And actually, I had no idea what was going to happen."
One thing I've noticed about President Trump is that he likes to put forth his ideas and opinions just in case the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" has been overlooked. I like to refer it as "throwing spit balls onto the ceiling to see if any will stick." People who deride him, especially the media, tend to overlook this trait and try to sensationalize his sometimes "outlandish" comments.
Bryson DeChambeau's penalty ruled by the R&A was the correct call. That was pure bluster by BDC. Trump didn't intervene, did he? Did he even try to intervene on BDC's behalf? If he did, then I didn't see that report. According to the Guardian, "the President himself has remained silent on the incident."
There would have been some credibility if Trump didn't interfere and the US football authorities lodged an appeal. As it is the USA has lost all respect worldwide and lost the match anyway.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 20:09 - Jul 21 with 3625 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 19:28 - Jul 21 by ncswan
My point is that VAR was used incorrectly and the red card or even a yellow card should not have been issued since the initial call was no card. VAR review shouldn't have taken place and shouldn't have been shown to the on-field ref in slo-mo or frame-by-frame. Huge mistake by VAR refs, and therefore, Infantino/FIFA were correct in removing the red card after his committee's review.
I also said that I didn't agree with Trump's intervention if that intervention included pressure on Infantino. But I don't fault him for publicly questioning the validity of the red card. He has a right to his opinion just like the rest of us.
Trump stated that he felt compelled to contact Infantino directly to complain about the refereeing decision: "I said, 'I'd like to wage a complaint.' And actually, I had no idea what was going to happen."
One thing I've noticed about President Trump is that he likes to put forth his ideas and opinions just in case the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" has been overlooked. I like to refer it as "throwing spit balls onto the ceiling to see if any will stick." People who deride him, especially the media, tend to overlook this trait and try to sensationalize his sometimes "outlandish" comments.
Bryson DeChambeau's penalty ruled by the R&A was the correct call. That was pure bluster by BDC. Trump didn't intervene, did he? Did he even try to intervene on BDC's behalf? If he did, then I didn't see that report. According to the Guardian, "the President himself has remained silent on the incident."
No, he didn’t intervene but the thought would never have occurred to him if Trump had not set a precedent.
Just by making the World Cup appeal was enough.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 04:16 - Jul 22 with 3532 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 20:09 - Jul 21 by Gwyn737
No, he didn’t intervene but the thought would never have occurred to him if Trump had not set a precedent.
Just by making the World Cup appeal was enough.
So, you're okay with a player being wrongfully expelled from a World Cup Round of 16 game, and therefore being ruled out for the quarterfinal game due to FIFA's VAR officials' errors that violated their own VAR policy rules?
Trump admitted that he didn't know how FIFA would respond but that he had to ask for a review of the situation: "I said, I'd like to wage a complaint. And actually, I had no idea what was going to happen."
By the way, I found this to be interesting:
FIFA's Ruling & Fine: When FIFA's Disciplinary Committee ultimately suspended Balogun's one-game ban for a one-year probationary period under Article 27, it treated the case as an internal disciplinary review. As part of that same ruling, FIFA actually issued a $40,000 fine to the U.S. Soccer Federation related to the incident.
I wonder if Trump will help with paying the fine. It was his idea after all.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 04:31 - Jul 22 with 3521 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 19:58 - Jul 21 by Whiterockin
There would have been some credibility if Trump didn't interfere and the US football authorities lodged an appeal. As it is the USA has lost all respect worldwide and lost the match anyway.
Unfortunately, the US Federation couldn't lodge an appeal due to FIFA rules under Article 66.4 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code: Red card suspensions are automatic and non-appealable by member associations.
Trump's words after the USA's 4-1 loss to Belgium:
"You know, it's so much better… because (now) there's no controversy. They (Belgium) won the game, and our team (USA) had all of its players. Think of it, if he (Infantino) didn't allow him (Balogun), they'd (USA soccer fans) say: 'We would have won the game if we had our best players.'
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 05:59 - Jul 22 with 3492 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 04:31 - Jul 22 by ncswan
Unfortunately, the US Federation couldn't lodge an appeal due to FIFA rules under Article 66.4 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code: Red card suspensions are automatic and non-appealable by member associations.
Trump's words after the USA's 4-1 loss to Belgium:
"You know, it's so much better… because (now) there's no controversy. They (Belgium) won the game, and our team (USA) had all of its players. Think of it, if he (Infantino) didn't allow him (Balogun), they'd (USA soccer fans) say: 'We would have won the game if we had our best players.'
Trump thinks there is no controversy so that's OK, yeah right. The rest of the world sees it differently. The whole world is talking about the World Cup but not in a positive way.
2
Your World Cup Verdict on 08:51 - Jul 22 with 3430 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 04:16 - Jul 22 by ncswan
So, you're okay with a player being wrongfully expelled from a World Cup Round of 16 game, and therefore being ruled out for the quarterfinal game due to FIFA's VAR officials' errors that violated their own VAR policy rules?
Trump admitted that he didn't know how FIFA would respond but that he had to ask for a review of the situation: "I said, I'd like to wage a complaint. And actually, I had no idea what was going to happen."
By the way, I found this to be interesting:
FIFA's Ruling & Fine: When FIFA's Disciplinary Committee ultimately suspended Balogun's one-game ban for a one-year probationary period under Article 27, it treated the case as an internal disciplinary review. As part of that same ruling, FIFA actually issued a $40,000 fine to the U.S. Soccer Federation related to the incident.
I wonder if Trump will help with paying the fine. It was his idea after all.
I think the president of the host country intervening is wrong.
It may well be a cultural difference (and the reason most over here aren't keen on VAR) that we like our sports warts and all as it provokes conversation - it's part of the game.
Having said that, in hindsight all that was really achieved was Norway having their pre-match team talk written for them and producing their best perfomanace of the tournament.
Do you think that occurance encouraged Bryson to ask what he asked?
[Post edited 22 Jul 11:47]
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 08:52 - Jul 22 with 3429 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 05:59 - Jul 22 by Whiterockin
Trump thinks there is no controversy so that's OK, yeah right. The rest of the world sees it differently. The whole world is talking about the World Cup but not in a positive way.
It's sad that for those outside the US it's one of things most associated with the tournament and will be referred to for some time.
0
Your World Cup Verdict on 09:02 - Jul 22 with 3422 views
Your World Cup Verdict on 08:52 - Jul 22 by Gwyn737
It's sad that for those outside the US it's one of things most associated with the tournament and will be referred to for some time.
They Americanized the whole tournament, playing 1:4 ‘s ,albeit under the guise of hydration breaks , the halftime show in the final Infantino sucking up to Trump was sickening ,there needs to be a new man in charge of FIFA , he’s lost all credibility and respect ,it’s embarrassing